Favorite versions of the new songs?

jah772

I hope this isn't too stupid a topic, but I was listening to my copy of the Osaka Japan bootleg from 2002, and near the end of the Blues, when axl sings "What I thought was beautiful is only memories" he hits a higher note than I have heard in all other performances of the song, and I think even though the particular performance isnt spectacular, the harmony he makes at that moment is just incredible.

So, for discussion, what does everyone think of the different versions of the new songs, and what is your favorite for each?

Some people seem to prefer the '99? demos to the earlier leaks, while others like the additional changes that have been made to those songs since then. We have heard a lot of variation between live performances of songs, much in the way Axl would sing different versions of November Rain during the tours after the illusions, changing the pitches of some of his regular notes.

Personally, aside from the Osaka moment i mentioned, and the Boston '02 performance, I have not really liked the end of The Blues with all of those "aah aah aaaaa ah aaahh"s, but I really like the way it is sung in the short studio clip from the 2002 tour promo.

Anyway, what does everyone think about this, and which versions of these songs do you all think we will hear on CD (live versions from 06 might be different from what was recorded on the CD) ?

I think Better loses alot when played live compared to the demo, and I think the I.R.S demo lacks bass and heavier guitars so I prefer the live version :krider:.

I actually seem to remember a topic like this but it was a poll question :S

Monty

Guest cherry_bomb

'better' at inland invasion was brilliant. fincks solo was fucking brilliant, the energy during that whole show was amazing, but the difference in the solo just added an extra something. excellent.

i think 'madagascar' from RIR 02 ruled. but, again, inland invasion - axl nailed it vocally.

yeah i know what u mean about the blues at boston 02 jah, one of my favourite performances.

My thoughts:

IRS is far better live than as a demo.

Better is sounds kickass on the demo, but live it loses something in the translation.

The Blues at Inland Invasion is the best version I've heard... sounds absolutely terrific. Love the string samples that they've added.

There Was a Time... the demo is breathtaking, just needs a fuller sounding mix. The live version is very cool, but Axl's "I would do anything for you" scream and Buckethead's freaking amazing solo are sorely missed.

Guest cherry_bomb
There Was a Time... the demo is breathtaking, just needs a fuller sounding mix. The live version is very cool, but Axl's "I would do anything for you" scream and Buckethead's freaking amazing solo are sorely missed.

i thought finck handled the solo fine, i really loved it actually. id love to see it live for myself rather on a bootleg to get a feel for it.

i thought finck handled the solo fine, i really loved it actually. id love to see it live for myself rather on a bootleg to get a feel for it.

I think he's talking about the part Bumblefoot plays. Finck nailed his solos. :shades:

I really love Pittsburgh 2002 The Blues. but i was there so I'm biased.

I love Madagascar, but seems on the 2006 versions Robin's mic isn't up high enough. His background singing at the end is one of the best parts of the song. I like Columbus 2002.

IRS I really like the Manchester performance.

Better is always good live.

Chinese Democracy, I really like the new intro in 06, but my very favorite version of that song is from Rio 01. They need to play this one more!

Guest cherry_bomb
better did rock pretty good at inland invasion. great version of the blues also, i love the way he sings "now theres a hell i can't describe"

damn right! yet people say he's lost his rasp :suspicious:

better did rock pretty good at inland invasion. great version of the blues also, i love the way he sings "now theres a hell i can't describe"

damn right! yet people say he's lost his rasp :suspicious:

i thought he did when i saw the vma's 02. :unsure:

but then when i heard the 02 shows and this years stuff, he just doesn't sing like 91-93. it probably tore the crap out of his throat, and i've started to really like the new style.

to put it simply, he still fuckin' rocks! rock3

The new songs sound infinitely better now than they did in 2002 (the ones that were played back then, obviously).

Better is pretty much proof that Axl's voice is kick ass. Listen to the 'I never wanted you to be so full of anger' bit from Inland Invasion. Gave me shivers.

TWAT was amazing because of Bumble's solo basically. Axl's voice seemed weak on the bootleg, but it was a bootleg so I won't judge that. Finck seemed to do the solo really well too - so props to him. The most impressive thing from him thus far.

IRS I don't really like live that much..I love the song, but Axl's high pitch voice doesn't really do anything for me. I dislike it quite a bit.

Anyone noticed that on the live Better there's some new synths at the point where Axl sings "I never wanted you to be so full of anger...". I prefer the opening to that song live, but the a lot of the cool guitar effects don't sound quite the same live- more generic noodling I guess.