Will You Burn Copies Of 'Chinese Democracy' For Friends?

D-GenerationX

there's a lot of people on this board who are completely against any form of stealing music and i don't quite know why.

do you have any idea how badly you're getting ripped off? it costs the record companies a few dollars for each copy (much less than it would cost us to burn it and print the album and cd art... and even that is relatively cheap.

i dunno... it just seems ridiculous to me to pay $15 for a cd which cost a company maybe 3 to make... even if they sold each cd at $9 and they sold only a million copies, they would still make $6 mil.

plus the argument is that the artists are losing money is pretty ridiculous too, they make pennies on each album, the real money comes from endorsments and branding.

all that said, i'll be buying CD the day it comes out :xmasssanta:

i just don't think everyone should get up in arms if someone else decides to copy the music for their friends

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A real fan will buy the album. Only wannabe fans will download it (illegal) or ask for a copy. No mather how much the album will cost,i will buy it.

True. The problem is, there's a somewhat limited population of people who consider themselves "real fans" of this new "band."

Somehow, average folks are going to have to hear about the band and the music. Obviously, this isn't coming by way of an advanced promotional single or video. No release date to generate interest. How exactly do you expect people to discover the Pit(t)man/Finck sound?

Ding, ding, ding!!

And we have a winner.

All this stuff about "no real GN´R fan would burn the CD" is just bullshit. WHo is anyone with this opinion to say who is and who isn´t a GN´R fan? Is a real fan the one who spends the most money on the artist? Fuck man, I spent alot of money on GN´R but that don´t make me a bigger fan than anyone else and while we´re on the subject isn´t it better that people do burn the record to those who ain´t gonna buy it anyway? Isn´t it better people are listening to the new record and maybe then decide to go see the band live or maybe then even buy the album. Get off your high horses you anti-prates! Filesharing is here and its unstoppable and as long as egocentric bands and greedy record labels keep fooling the public that its bad for business there will be people like you who think your money is what makes the music great. Filesharing is the biggest promotion event ever invented and thats what the big labels need to understand, just like most of the independent labels have. I mean, how many awsome bands have you discovered thanks to filesharing? How many new bands you never heard of before have you gone and seen live after downloading an album? How cool is it that you can read a cool review and then actually download the record and fins out for yourself if its good or not without spending your hard earned cash on it without really knowing anything. How many records did you buy back in the days just because it had 1 or 2 good songs on it? This is what made the companies rich! Fuck em! The artists make more money on tours and merch than on records. Maybe not bands like GN´R and other huge acts but generally this is a fact.

I rather people hear the music than not. So to all you guys out there with just burned records of GN´R, don´t let these pompus people get you down. Material stuff is not what makes you a fan, it´s the love for the music itself! Sharing is caring. I am really tired of people putting other people down because how they choose to enjoy music and especially when it at the end comes down to material and economic things. So sorry if my post seems a little furious but I just came home and I am tired and maybe the words are harder than they need, but I hope you can see through that and still undertand what the meaning of the post is.

And for all of those who are gonna start bashing me for promoting filesharing and burning cd-copies please don´t. Like I´ve stated before, I am a music lover AND record lover so I do buy the stuff I feel is worth it which my record collection clearly states ( http://pop.nu/show_collection.asp?user=6727 write guns n roses in the search field to the right and see the money I put in geffens and axl´s pockets), but this doesnt mean everyone can be like me or that everyone must prioritize GN´R when they buy records. People have different economic situations and I think its great that even people who cannot prioritize records can get to hear their favourite music anyways thanks to friends who give them copies or with the help of filesharing. Saying their not real fans is just a slap in the face and something none of us know nothing about. So please keep that in mind.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Lukinx

there's a lot of people on this board who are completely against any form of stealing music and i don't quite know why.

do you have any idea how badly you're getting ripped off? it costs the record companies a few dollars for each copy (much less than it would cost us to burn it and print the album and cd art... and even that is relatively cheap.

i dunno... it just seems ridiculous to me to pay $15 for a cd which cost a company maybe 3 to make... even if they sold each cd at $9 and they sold only a million copies, they would still make $6 mil.

plus the argument is that the artists are losing money is pretty ridiculous too, they make pennies on each album, the real money comes from endorsments and branding.

i just don't think everyone should get up in arms if someone else decides to copy the music for their friends

So what about the record stores across the country that are closing and people losing tens of thousands of jobs ? Maybe if you lost your job of 20 years you might feel otherwise. I have already lost 5 killer stores I have shopping at for 15 years.

This is one album that I won't even consider burning for anyone. There is just to much at stake for the band for me to give it away. I will definitely play it for everyone I can and encourage them to buy it.

Besides, it will make an excellent Christmas gift if we actually see it this year.

Amen!

Burn the CD..?.. :angry: We've waited long enough dont cha'll think....?? how fair would it be for AXL, who's worked his (SWEET) ass on this- to burn copies and not BUY it....!! come on, a CD will only cost you about $15....Cheap Ass, people...

rock3

!!!ROCK ON!!!!

You cunt. Copying is like stealing. Don't do it.

Burn the CD..?.. :angry: We've waited long enough dont cha'll think....?? how fair would it be for AXL, who's worked his (SWEET) ass on this- to burn copies and not BUY it....!! come on, a CD will only cost you about $15....Cheap Ass, people...

rock3

!!!ROCK ON!!!!

You cunt. Copying is like stealing. Don't do it.

great post and welcome

Guest Jack_the_ripper

yes a decent newb, I love you lol, and welcome to the forum

Now, copying a cd is in no way a promotion for the band, it's in fact taking away sales they could other wise have.

The music industry as we know it is dying, in front of our eyes because of piracy. If this trend continues, it's estimated that most bands will just pack it up, and the music industry would die out in 5 years. Which, would mean that no more new music.

I guess I should have seen this coming.

I'm talking to a bunch of people who can say (with a straight face) that this is the album the world is waiting for.

The point of this whole thread is that even if this is the most mind blowing album of alltime (and it won't be) the promotion has been so piss poor, no one will know about it. I am doing the promo work Axl won't.

Look, no one buys CDs anymore.

The reason I say that is to get out ahead of the "but you are ripping the band off" arguement, because I want to take it in a different direction.

Because once the CD comes out, I will in fact buy it. And I am going to burn copies for everyone who asks for one. I am going to post it on message boards I go to where people ask me about the band.

Why? Because Axl's promotional skills are laughable, and we are going to have to do the legwork for him. It is we, the diehard fans, who are going to have to sell this thing to our friends and such and hope it goes from there.

So what do you think? Will you do similar things??

I think you need a life.

High price still cannot justify theft.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

I'm talking to a bunch of people who can say (with a straight face) that this is the album the world is waiting for.

The point of this whole thread is that even if this is the most mind blowing album of alltime (and it won't be) the promotion has been so piss poor, no one will know about it. I am doing the promo work Axl won't.

Firstly, it's going to be a master piece, and all of us are expecting nothing less simply because of how long he's been working on it, it's almost like his lifes work is going into this album.

Second, your a fucking retard, how is you giving out free copies helping to promote the album? People will not go out and buy the album if you hand them a free copy of it. So here's what I suggest for you, run as far as you can from this forum, and don't come back, if you do, we'll all take a whiz in your face :lol:

Firstly, it's going to be a master piece, and all of us are expecting nothing less simply because of how long he's been working on it, it's almost like his lifes work is going into this album.

Second, your a fucking retard, how is you giving out free copies helping to promote the album? People will not go out and buy the album if you hand them a free copy of it. So here's what I suggest for you, run as far as you can from this forum, and don't come back, if you do, we'll all take a whiz in your face :lol:

Because no one is going to hear it.

I would rather they take the shit copy I burn for them (because burned copies are NEVER as good as the original) and be moved to get their own.

Or we could try your plan where scores upon scores of people are moved to rush out and buy an album of a band they have long forgotton and haven't exaclty been reminded by any promotion.

Edited by D-GenerationX

Guest Jack_the_ripper

I would rather they take the shit copy I burn for them (because burned copies are NEVER as good as the original) and be moved to get their own.

Or we could try your plan where scores upon scores of people are moved to rush out and buy an album of a band they have long forgotton and haven't exaclty been reminded by any promotion.

They won't, we live in a very cheap society, if something can be handed to them for free, and even if its crap quality, they won't go out and spend money on a good quality version of it. Best way to promote the band is make them listen to the album, Not hand them a copy of it for free.

and now your putting words in my mouth, never said people would just suddenly rush out and go buy the album. But, when it starts getting radio air-time it'll raise peoples awareness, and yes people will go to pick it up in the record shop.

So get your 12 year old mentality out of here, if you're planning to Pilage Axl's work like that, this is honestly no place for you.

Edited by Jack_the_ripper

Burned copies are exactly as good as originals.... digital media won't loose quality as you copy it :rolleyes:

Look, no one buys CDs anymore.

The reason I say that is to get out ahead of the "but you are ripping the band off" arguement, because I want to take it in a different direction.

Because once the CD comes out, I will in fact buy it. And I am going to burn copies for everyone who asks for one. I am going to post it on message boards I go to where people ask me about the band.

Why? Because Axl's promotional skills are laughable, and we are going to have to do the legwork for him. It is we, the diehard fans, who are going to have to sell this thing to our friends and such and hope it goes from there.

So what do you think? Will you do similar things??

No real GNR fan would download the album - let alone burn copies for friends. This album has taken almost a decade for Axl to put together: Clearly, he has put all of his heart, soul, time and energy into this project. So, for some little punk to come along and tell everybody he plans to download it and burn copies for pals - is just disrespectful, selfish, and wrong. Shame on you.

You tell em Madison! Speak the word sweet soul sister!

This is one album I wanna see hit #1 and thats done through UNITS SOLD... the higher it runs on the charts the more publicity it generates...the more publicity it generates the more demand there is for GNR to remain in the public eye.. the more they remain in the public eye the more influence they have will on the music scene and dont we all know that the music scene could use a good ass kicking??!? The more the sales of Chinese Democracy encourages the release of the other two albums Axl talked about and taaa DAA no more long ass waits for some creative, innovative worth while music!! Its all very very simple and even if the album is priced at $30.00... thats small potatoes for all you young punks out there in cyber land.

SO Citizens of the World.....nut up and BUY Chinese Democracy and end this insane downward spiral of mediocre uninspired souless music!! Do it for YOUR soul and for the Goodness of the future rockers of this planet! Nuff said.

Now, copying a cd is in no way a promotion for the band, it's in fact taking away sales they could other wise have.

The music industry as we know it is dying, in front of our eyes because of piracy. If this trend continues, it's estimated that most bands will just pack it up, and the music industry would die out in 5 years. Which, would mean that no more new music.

This is not true. The only thing that is MAYBE not making as much money as before are the BIG labels. But music is much cheaper to make, produce, record and distribute with all the new technology still the record prices would not go down. The reaction to this was filesharing which many people now see as a substitute for actually owning records. The record companies have themselves to blame for being profit hungry ass holes who never gave a rats ass about the people actually making them rich. They try to sell you sob storys about bands not making cash anymore but this is not true. The small bands make more money now cause more people can hear them thanks to fiel sharing. Concert sales are peeking right now (at least in Sweden and I belive its the same all over the globe) cause people can check out more bands through filesharing than they ever dreamed of. And do you really think bg bands like GN´R will suffer a major loss from people not buying the CD and instead downloading it? Just think about the money they made on the european tour with ticket sales and merch-sales with almost no promotion-costs. If filesharing is stealing you could concider it taking some money back from the greedy music industry and major labels for not listening to the public that has been protesting against too high record prizes for very long. Now they want us to pay the ammount people said was fare for a CD for so called legal mp3-dowloads. They need to rethink the whole thing or just go away. Major labels are not really needed anymore.

And as I stated in my other post, people in here with these anti-filesharing-opinions seem to want people not to hear the new gn´r rather than download it? And also, not everyone has the money to prioritize albums, should these people be stuck with watching MTV and not be able to enjoy the music they want? People still buy records, no matter what the major labels try to fool you all to belive. Go to your local record stores and look inside why dont you. And dont buy their sob storys about starving artists and that msic is losing in quality from filesharing cause this is not true either. Music should gain in quality through file sharing cause filesharing is a great way to sever the good music from the shit music which shoudl generate better music in the future.

So, please get off your high horses and let people enjoy music in the way they feel suit them. I rather people listen to what they like and buy the records they feel like than that they have to buy everything they ever feel like listening too. I bet many of you in here are downloading other artists but just feel this way about GN´R and that sounds a little like a hypocrite thing to do.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

This is not true. The only thing that is MAYBE not making as much money as before are the BIG labels. But music is much cheaper to make, produce, record and distribute with all the new technology still the record prices would not go down. The reaction to this was filesharing which many people now see as a substitute for actually owning records. The record companies have themselves to blame for being profit hungry ass holes who never gave a rats ass about the people actually making them rich. They try to sell you sob storys about bands not making cash anymore but this is not true. The small bands make more money now cause more people can hear them thanks to fiel sharing. Concert sales are peeking right now (at least in Sweden and I belive its the same all over the globe) cause people can check out more bands through filesharing than they ever dreamed of. And do you really think bg bands like GN´R will suffer a major loss from people not buying the CD and instead downloading it? Just think about the money they made on the european tour with ticket sales and merch-sales with almost no promotion-costs. If filesharing is stealing you could concider it taking some money back from the greedy music industry and major labels for not listening to the public that has been protesting against too high record prizes for very long. Now they want us to pay the ammount people said was fare for a CD for so called legal mp3-dowloads. They need to rethink the whole thing or just go away. Major labels are not really needed anymore.

And as I stated in my other post, people in here with these anti-filesharing-opinions seem to want people not to hear the new gn´r rather than download it? And also, not everyone has the money to prioritize albums, should these people be stuck with watching MTV and not be able to enjoy the music they want? People still buy records, no matter what the major labels try to fool you all to belive. Go to your local record stores and look inside why dont you. And dont buy their sob storys about starving artists and that msic is losing in quality from filesharing cause this is not true either. Music should gain in quality through file sharing cause filesharing is a great way to sever the good music from the shit music which shoudl generate better music in the future.

So, please get off your high horses and let people enjoy music in the way they feel suit them. I rather people listen to what they like and buy the records they feel like than that they have to buy everything they ever feel like listening too. I bet many of you in here are downloading other artists but just feel this way about GN´R and that sounds a little like a hypocrite thing to do.

Firstly, I'm a musician, don't try to sound like you know about the business more then I do. I also happen to have worked in a record shop, and know many people who still do. Record sales have massively dropped in the past 5 years, and will much more in the next 5 years if nothing will be done. Imagine if they don't, imagine we're in 2011, and now, all bands and artists choose to just tour, and play the same old songs night after night, and not play or write a single new song, just cause like you said, "they make all they're money off of touring." People like you, are exactly what is going to cause the music industry to crash. But, with new laws being put in order, I guess you're going to have a good time in court, explaining why you violated copyrights.

Just because it's accessible, doesn't mean it's not illegal, and when you do lose your case, I'll be the first to laugh at you. Oh, and for the record, I do not download music by any means other then iTunes.

Well, to be honest quite a lot of my non-gnr worshipping friends no longer recognize GNR.. They still think along Axl, Slash, Duff ect.. So if to get them to listen to the damn album I have to burn it for them.. Or maybe just play them the album I will quite happily do that just to know whether they like it or not..

Yeah. Maybe it is ripping of the band a little bit, but hey, if I buy the album and let them listen to it.. Or make them a copy if they really like it, they WILL go buy the album for the proper experience..

Just my opinion..

xDSGx

I guess I just agree to disagree with a lot of you.

I see no evidence this is going to be any kind of big seller. A band gone this long needs over the top promotion. Yet no only has it not been over the top, its almost gone the other way. Right down to us having to guess the damn release date.

But frankly, I like the leaks and live tracks I have heard. I think its going to be a bummer that many out there will not even give this a chance. I was just looking at a way to get people to at least give it a shot who otherwise would not.

I hope I'm wrong about its commercial appeal. But you must at least concede its going to have to buck all sort of convention to be a big hit after all this time away and lack of any buzz.

We will see.