How can Clapton bring himself to play the coda to Layla?

adnan

Knowing the story behind it, and what the coda represents after the anguished cries of the first half, how on earth can Eric play the song, considering that he and Pattie split up? Did he just manage to make it impersonal? If I'd written a song like that, I could never play it, let alone the coda, which has so much meaning...

I'd say it's because the song became bigger than his own personal attachment to it. It means so much to so many people that he can't just drop it now. Or he'd be letting all his fans down...

So it's not just "his" song anymore.

Yeah, but I would just start crying on stage while playing the coda...

Must take a lot of strength, unless he's just completely over her, and you're never completely over someone, are you? Especially someone you loved that much.

Maybe he should just play the music and not sing the lyrics.

As a matter of fact he should never sing.

he should find a singer to tour with him. Brilliant guitarist, but he cant sing for shit.

The lyrics wouldn't be the hardest part for me, or for him I think, but the coda, which represents love found, that would be excruciating for me.

The lyrics are about unrequited love, could apply to anybody, sure they're personal, but not nearly as personal as the coda.

Must take a lot of strength, unless he's just completely over her, and you're never completely over someone, are you? Especially someone you loved that much.

Ah, I think that, sadly enough, sometimes you can't even remember why it is that you loved a certain person so much any more. :book: Perhaps because it was just Earth-shattering infatuation guised as love in the first place or perhaps because time and distance really can corrode all those past affections so completely, who knows. I do believe I once made a thread about how sad it is that you can seemingly "get over" everything. -_- So maybe he did truly move on.

Although I still like to think - or perhaps merely delude myself into thinking - that there's something out there the absence of which could hurt one beyond repair. And I guess that if this represents that one thing to Clapton, then he's either one of those proud people who can just grin and bear it no matter how much they're aching inside or one of many who in a way "enjoy" reliving the pain, wallowing and exploring their emotions. If that makes sense to you as much as it does to me. :unsure:

Ah, I think that, sadly enough, sometimes you can't even remember why it is that you loved a certain person so much any more. :book: Perhaps because it was just Earth-shattering infatuation guised as love in the first place or perhaps because time and distance really can corrode all those past affections so completely, who knows. I do believe I once made a thread about how sad it is that you can seemingly "get over" everything. -_- So maybe he did truly move on.

No offense, but you are only 17. Eric and her were married for more than ten years, and he recorded a whole album for her, in fact, throughout his years as George Harrison's best friend, he was tortured by his love for her, to the extent that he developed addictions to heroin and cocaine to help him deal with not having her.

Can you stay just 'infatuated' for that long? I don't think so.

No offense, but you are only 17. Eric and her were married for more than ten years, and he recorded a whole album for her, in fact, throughout his years as George Harrison's best friend, he was tortured by his love for her, to the extent that he developed addictions to heroin and cocaine to help him deal with not having her.

Can you stay just 'infatuated' for that long? I don't think so.

Well, I'm definitely not saying that's the case, but hey, don't you think it's at least possible that even a love as great as all that eventually degenerates? Of course I'm not talking from personal experience, seeing as I'm very young and probably also very foolish, but isn't there at least one couple everyone knows who just seemed like they'd be in love forever, maybe even after break-ups, and then, perhaps after 30 years, it just all fizzles all of a sudden? It happened to my grandmother and her former partner, I think. :unsure:

And, well, perhaps "infatuation" was the wrong word - perhaps "obsession" would have been better, but that doesn't quite fit the bill either. You know when you just become consumed by one thing, desire it, long for it, are taken by it in a way you might mistake for love, but that is really something else, and a quite unhealthy something else at that? This theme of overproduced desire sure comes up a lot in art, so I guess there probably is something to it.

But, like I said, that's only one of the two "main" possibilities and I do think - or like to think - that the second one is far more probable. :)

By the way, watch Bitter Moon if you haven't already - you might quite like the theme. :book: