A new band or 'employees?'

HisRoyalFatness

I was reading about some of the legal punches Axl and the old guys swapped a few years ago. In one of his letters, Axl refers to "former member, Duff" and "former employee, Matt Sorum."

So, does Axl consider Matt Sorum only an "employee" because he was hired on during during Use Your Illusions, but didn't play with the "original" band? If that's the case, then do you think he considers Dizzy the same way?

If so, I wonder if he classifies the new guys employees of his or equal members of a band. Sorum and Dizzy played on three albums and toured for a long time as that band. If Axl only considers them to be his employees, then it'd seem like other guys would be too. That would suck for them. They're (mostly) very talented dudes who work hard supporting Axl. They get to be a part of something great and historical. They deserve to be a band.

I really don't care for Matt Sorum or his drumming, but I thought it was pretty shitty that Axl would try to get that cheap dig in at him. Especially considering how crucial replacements have been to keeping his band alive.

So what do you think? Deep down, does Axl consider these guys a "band" in the same way he considered the original line-up to be? Or do you think Axl really considers them to be more like employee musicians helping him to realize his dream album?

He said the same about Gilby I think in another statement. However neither Sorum or Gilby contributed to the songwriting process- they just played on parts other musicians wrote. The new band have all been contributing the new GNR material. I don't think it was a cheap dig, just a fact.

He said the same about Gilby I think in another statement. However neither Sorum or Gilby contributed to the songwriting process- they just played on parts other musicians wrote. The new band have all been contributing the new GNR material. I don't think it was a cheap dig, just a fact.

That's what I thought. Because they did not personally write the songs, they were just considered employees. That's how I always took it. :unsure: I don't think he considers the new line up to be employees. Maybe in 2002, but you can tell how much they have bonded since then.

Edited by PrettyTiedUp763

He probably used the term 'employee' for legal reasons... nothing more. The bottom line is, whoever is on stage whenever GNR performs is part of the band. Always has been, always will be. The 'member' and 'employee' mumbo-jumbo only comes into play whenever something legal has to be worked out. By all accounts, these guys today have contributed a lot of input on CD. Although a lot of people like to look at this as the Axl Rose solo project or "Axl's baby", I think at the end of the day we'll find out it's been huge collaboration between all of the members of the band.

And with that last sentence, I think I addressed the original question appropriately.

He probably used the term 'employee' for legal reasons... nothing more. The bottom line is, whoever is on stage whenever GNR performs is part of the band. Always has been, always will be. The 'member' and 'employee' mumbo-jumbo only comes into play whenever something legal has to be worked out. By all accounts, these guys today have contributed a lot of input on CD. Although a lot of people like to look at this as the Axl Rose solo project or "Axl's baby", I think at the end of the day we'll find out it's been huge collaboration between all of the members of the band.

And with that last sentence, I think I addressed the original question appropriately.

so baz is part of the band? and steve tyler + joe perry? how about lenny kravitz?

The problem with answering these kind of questions, is that there isn't really enough information to know for sure. We know that they have been getting to help with the creation of the music, but there some other aspects of it that are not as clear. Does anyone really think that they have any say on when CD is released? Do they have any input on the tracklisting, cover art or where and when the band goes on tour? If Axl is the boss and is making all these decisions, then it's hardly a outlandish thing to say that these guys are hired guns.

so baz is part of the band? and steve tyler + joe perry? how about lenny kravitz?

Ahhh... the simple minded.

I was generalizing and referring to members of GNR.

Its easy.

-Axl makes most of the important decisions.

-If axl leaves the band there is NO GUNS N ROSES.

-And the more important thing: axl can hire/fire anyone, without consulting nobody, and without a reason.

As said above, axl WILL NEVER say it, and its ok...but IMO, he thinks that they are hired guns and that HE IS THE BOSS.

NEW BAND...without washed-ups! rock2

why are you ALWAYS ragging on the old members?

It seems like every post I read by you is some sort of retarded, unfunny jab at the old members.

It's just redundant now.

Not to "take sides" here but if you look objectively there's plenty of people who do the same but with the new members ;). Why can't we all just get along :rolleyes:

Monty

Guest Yanni_16

Maybe this was due to a personal issue Axl has with Matt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Live Era liner notes isn't Sorum listed as an "additional musician" due to an argument the two of them had before the album's release?