Bumblefoot v. Buckethead

KyleMac

who is better and for what type of music. I assume for pure shredding you have to give the nod to buckethead, but what about musical creativity/improvisation, or playing with emotion? I dont know how they came up with the solos/harmony for the new songs (i assume it was a collective effort between Bucket/Finck/Fortus) but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Ron was originally in the mix.

Also, what's Ron's status with the band, is he a full fledged member? Is this a tryout? Is he a lock to eventually make the band, if not someone would need to step in (how many guitar players out there are better than Ron?), this bands entire concept from the illusions on has been built around 3 guitarists.

I'm really happy that he is in the band, he seems the most approachable out of all the members, and seems like a truly great guy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone could say Ron is the better guitarist of the two.

However, I hated Buckethead in GN'R. He just didn't fit. Yeah, you can say it's about the music and not the image all you want, but watching that freak do a robot on stage at a rock show? Fuck off. I love his solo work but he's not right for GN'R.

Ron's stage presence and attitude is amazing. Add the fact he's one of the nicest people I've ever met and an amazing player, and I don't miss Buckethead at all. Ron is the best thing about the band. Easily.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

who is better and for what type of music. I assume for pure shredding you have to give the nod to buckethead, but what about musical creativity/improvisation, or playing with emotion?

bucket wins hands down.

I dont know how they came up with the solos/harmony for the new songs (i assume it was a collective effort between Bucket/Finck/Fortus) but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Ron was originally in the mix.

he wasn't, so we don't know....

Also, what's Ron's status with the band, is he a full fledged member? Is this a tryout? Is he a lock to eventually make the band, if not someone would need to step in (how many guitar players out there are better than Ron?), this bands entire concept from the illusions on has been built around 3 guitarists.

so far, he seems to be the perfect solution...a good player, approachanbe, no psychological issues to deal with, i think he'll stick around for a while still.

Buckethead is the best guitarist ever. rock2

I think, Ron is shredding too much. He should do more solos with real emotion. But he is still one of my favourite members, because he's just a real nice guy. ;)

Edited by Iceman24

Screw that!~

GNR dont need some wankathon lead guitarist virtuoso who really should be a solo artist like the other brilliant guitarists out there....

It needs a rock guitarist who fits the band - AKA RON!

good way of putting it.

Screw that!~

GNR dont need some wankathon lead guitarist virtuoso who really should be a solo artist like the other brilliant guitarists out there....

good way of putting it.

I totaly agree with you

bucket might be better.. but he doesn't fit the band like bbf does..

I mean, just imagine nelly furtado as singer in gnr.. OMG she's so hot

I think their styles are slightly different, so I don't think it's fare to compare the two. Listen to a song like Don Pardo Pimpwagon, and it's hard for me to imagine Bucket coming up with something that cool (by my own admission, my knowledge of his solo work is limited - I only have maybe 6 or 7 songs that i've downloaded).

I think their styles are slightly different, so I don't think it's fare to compare the two. Listen to a song like Don Pardo Pimpwagon, and it's hard for me to imagine Bucket coming up with something that cool (by my own admission, my knowledge of his solo work is limited - I only have maybe 6 or 7 songs that i've downloaded).

You're not missing much. Bucket may be a great player, but his solo work is quite boring IMO. If you listen to an entire show you will see pretty quickly that nearly all his songs have the same feel/groove to them. He is more of a reactor in that he plays off other people's songs well but he's not particularly good on his own.

You're not missing much. Bucket may be a great player, but his solo work is quite boring IMO. If you listen to an entire show you will see pretty quickly that nearly all his songs have the same feel/groove to them. He is more of a reactor in that he plays off other people's songs well but he's not particularly good on his own.

I guess you have a point. But just look at the Nightrain solo from 02. My God that was stunning!

not all of them, no way...i agree the albums have thematic consistencies but each album on its own is always going in a different direction.

I prefer Ron's solo stuff (meaning his own band) better than Buckethead's, but I have to say I preferred Bucket's contributions to the GNR material. Ron shreds way more than I would like to hear.

That's not to say I don't think Ron is a badass dude. I can't get enough of watching him on that fretless guitar during Nightrain.

then you cant really say bucket couldnt come up with something as cool as that. Bucket is my favourite guitarist of all time, i love everything hes done. I loved him in GnR, the solos he improv-ed on some of the old songs were fantastic eg. You could be mine - Leeds 02. WOW. Hes technically better than Ron i think, but not by too much.

But yeah, Ron does fit in the band better if they wanna be taken seriously. hes a cool ass mofo too :)

What the fuck is this thread, a competition to see who's the most ignorant?

Screw that!~

That's exactly what Ron is, a brilliant virtuoso who's put out a ton of solo material. Not some ten a penny band guitarist who's solos are all boring pentatonics.

You're an idiot, Bucket is one of the most versatile Guitarists on the planet. This statement clearly shows you haven't heard the massive sylistic dexterity and variety in Bucket's albums. You probably listened to Enter The Chicken and thought you were an expert.

Oh and for the last time, Ron is arguably superior to Bucket techincally... he can certainly alternate pick faster, does harder legato runs and he has perfect pitch. the only thing Bucket bests him at technically is probably tapping.

However, I hated Buckethead in GN'R. He just didn't fit. Yeah, you can say it's about the music and not the image all you want, but watching that freak do a robot on stage at a rock show? Fuck off. I love his solo work but he's not right for GN'R.

Ron's stage presence and attitude is amazing. Add the fact he's one of the nicest people I've ever met and an amazing player, and I don't miss Buckethead at all. Ron is the best thing about the band. Easily.

Seriously.

That was one of the stupidest things I have read in this forum. What are you thinking man? The 8th guitarist ever to play for guns n' roses...or is it 9th? and all of a sudden he is the best thing about the band?

You gotta be drunk.

A8R

Seriously.

That was one of the stupidest things I have read in this forum. What are you thinking man? The 8th guitarist ever to play for guns n' roses...or is it 9th? and all of a sudden he is the best thing about the band?

You gotta be drunk.

A8R

Well he's definately the most talented member along with Axl.

Seriously.

You gotta be drunk.

A8R

Aside from Axl, of course.

Second best.

Let's look at it.

Finck - Does the good solo rarely, butchers most of them.

Fortus - Great player, great style, great attitude...very good. But technically nothing on Ron.

Tommy - Good bassist, but I don't really dig him that much.

Brain - Best drummer GN'R has ever had probably. I'm just more of a guitar man than drums.

Dizzy - Ok, he's good at what he does, but what he does I don't like.

Pitman - Haha. Do I even need to go into why every other member blows this fuck away?

Ron is my favourite (again, aside from Axl). He has the most talent and, in my opinion, is the coolest of all the new guys. His solos are awesome and they give the songs that new sound Axl is going for.

I've been called out for putting members down before, but never for calling one great.. :drevil:

What the fuck is this thread, a competition to see who's the most ignorant?

Screw that!~

That's exactly what Ron is, a brilliant virtuoso who's put out a ton of solo material. Not some ten a penny band guitarist who's solos are all boring pentatonics.

You're an idiot, Bucket is one of the most versatile Guitarists on the planet. This statement clearly shows you haven't heard the massive sylistic dexterity and variety in Bucket's albums. You probably listened to Enter The Chicken and thought you were an expert.

Oh and for the last time, Ron is arguably superior to Bucket techincally... he can certainly alternate pick faster, does harder legato runs and he has perfect pitch. the only thing Bucket bests him at technically is probably tapping.

I'm no idiot . I have listened to several albums and seen him in concert. He may be a great technical player but he is no songwriter- I was not commenting on his playing ability, just the sameness of his songs. The only good stuff he has put out have been collaberations like Praxis, stuff with Les Claypool, GN'R,etc. not his solo albums. You're the idiot for thinking technical ability is enough to make someones music great-its nothing more than masturbation without good songs.

Ron hands down, why because I've actually tried playing his songs and if you guys dont beleive me check out Guthrie Govan's transcriptions for GFTPM.

Buckethead rips off Paul Gibert so much its annoying but you guys wouldnt know Paul Gilbert cuz this is a GNR forum.

Ron owns Buckethead both technically and creatively.

Edited by fishyguy