If bumblefoot was a last minute decision

Sabbra_Cadabra

and i quote, from the Axl Rose official statement section:

There were rumors that GNR was auditioning a new guitarist to replace Buckethead, and one musician, Bumblefoot, even posted on his site that he had been asked to join the band. This created a huge debate on the internet, prompting GNR's management to issue a statement on Oct. 12, 2004.

The statement said Bumblefoot had not been asked to join, but offered no update on the album's release.

Here's the press release:

GN'R Set the Record Straight

12 October 2004

Business Wire

© 2004 Business Wire. All Rights Reserved.

NEW YORK - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Oct. 12, 2004 - There have been numerous reports over the last few weeks from various sources claiming that one person or another has been invited to join Guns N' Roses. To set the record straight no one - we repeat no one - has been invited to join the band. We would normally not respond to rumours but it is wrong to allow a few self publicists the platform to mislead the media and Guns N' Roses fans. We will let you know when there is credible news on this subject. "

Is there any information i can read on about this subject? I do recall Ron Thal mentioning that the decision to hire him was a last minute deal, however rumours of him joining the band when buckethead hit the highway go back nearly 2 years. What's the deal? Clarification, please?

I think BBF explained all that either in an interview or that online chat he did. IIRC, he basically said there were talks, he posted about it on his site, the shit spread like wildfire and fucked everything up at that time, but it all worked out in the end.

I think BBF explained all that either in an interview or that online chat he did. IIRC, he basically said there were talks, he posted about it on his site, the shit spread like wildfire and fucked everything up at that time, but it all worked out in the end.

It makes more sense now. From what i originally gathered back in May, they sort of just picked bumblefoot up out of nowhere just before the Hammerstein shows. At least that was the impression i got.

I had no idea talks of him joining the band dated back that far, which makes the recent decision to hire him clearer.

Thanks for the links!

Edited by Sabbra_Cadabra

I had forgot about GnR's letter denying that they had talks. Man, they kind of insinuated that Bumblefoot was just being a self-promoting prick, when they really did have talks. BBF is a more forgiving guy than i am, because chances are, after all that i would've told Axl & Co to go get fucked.

Edited by tat2d1

Yeah, I think I remember reading it on the online chat that he did recently.