Chinese Democracy Starts... By SELLING OUT!

dustindmnd2

Hey, I'm as excited as you all that this Chinese Democracy really seems to be coming out soon, and the commercial is proof of that- that's the good part (even though the snips they play of Better don't show any changes to the song, which I thought still needed some work from the version leaked, but I digress...).

Maybe I am old school, but I feel like artists shouldn't just prostitute their work to sell products, and I was disapointed to see that this is the FIRST thing AXL did with the new material! I expect that from poptarts and rappers, and for Michael Jackson to piss off Beatles fans by selling their songs to commercials, but not Gn'R. And I know that Led Zep and the Who have both done it to, and to be honest, they disapointed me when they did it, but at least it was 30 years after their songs came out (though I still wish I didn't think of a car each time I hear "Bargain.").

Anyways, anyone agree with me here? I just think it is selling out to give new songs to commercials.

Pubes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think gnr gave the ad permission, thats why they removed it...

but how they got it, god knows

No man, trust me... A major company like HD has to have permission to use a song because they can get sued for copyright violations if they use it without permission. They paid Gn'R to use the song and get themselves publicity (which is smart- it worked!).

i dont think gnr gave the ad permission, thats why they removed it...

but how they got it, god knows

No man, trust me... A major company like HD has to have permission to use a song because they can get sued for copyright violations if they use it without permission. They paid Gn'R to use the song and get themselves publicity (which is smart- it worked!).

ah rigth cheers mate but if they did, why remove it?

Edited by There Was A Fine

Oh please. It's much needed publicity. He was letting the music be heard by the mass market.

If Axl appears in an advert with his face on a lunchbox, then people can start saying he's 'sold out'.

Oh, and have you seen the adverts that GN'R did back in the late 80s? They appeared on SO many fucking adverts it was unreal. I don't mean just music, either, Axl and Slash were pimping out magazines and shit all the time.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

The whole lawsuit between Axl Slash and Duff was centered around Axl refusing to whoreout the GnR back catalog to adverts, movies etc just so they could recieve huge amounts of $$$. Axl is very protective of the GnR name. Since the lawsuit seems to have been settled out of court Axl probably had to give into some of Slash and Duffs demands and start opening up the back catalog. Promotional wise it makes sense, looks like someone at HD didnt want to get into work early on Monday morning to upload the commercial, so they put it up on Friday afternoon instead, not counting on the huge amount of attention it would get from fans across the boards over the weekend!

Just be thankful its in a commercial for a very respectful, well established company and not some shitty beauty product advert

Monday is when the whole Promotional campaign will kick off! Cant wait!

Jonx

oh shut the fuck up!! guns n roses r a commercial rock band, a business entity, live in the real world for fuckssake, they didnt claim anywhere to be anti-establishment anything. please refer urself to the "commercial burger flipper" speech by axl hisself. what exactly are they selling out? n who the fuck are u to pass judgement on how someone makes their living? it's his music he can sell it to whatever cunt he likes.

Edited by frankwhite

oh shut the fuck up!! guns n roses r a commercial rock band, a business entity, live in the real world for fuckssake, they didnt claim anywhere to be anti-establishment anything. please refer urself to the "commercial burger flipper" speech by axl hisself. what exactly are they selling out? n who the fuck are u to pass judgement on how someone makes their living? it's his music he can sell it to whatever cunt he likes.

i'm glad you make the point its HIS music, kinda backs up the band are employees theory

i'm glad you make the point its HIS music, kinda backs up the band are employees theory

to be honest dude, i dont really know, thinkin about it i suppose ur right cuz i dont think they get equal share in there. i think it has somethin to do with how long u been in the band n as such how much u become a major contributing part of the identity n creative end which u r from the get go as a musician but...i jus can't see any hooray henry getting into that band n suddenly getting equal share with axl, just aint realistic, i wouldnt go so far as to say employees but i think it's clear to all n sundry whoose wearing the pants in the relationship :lol:

I'm with that response!

And of course he can sell out to whomever he wants, but it is just something I don't think artists should do. He can give Paradise City to a Chucky Cheese commercial, but it gives the song a rediculous connotation.

Pubes.

Slash is peddling Volkswagens, it's just the way it is now.

exactly, but why is that a bad thing??? y'know, these arent the beat happenings or dead kennedy type bands, they're not adverse to the sin of "selling out" which i think is an elitist cocksucker concept anyway. its a honest living, they're not stealing from anybody so whats with this holier than thou attitude, it's bullshit.

there's so much whining, haha. be happy that we're hearing something at all. i can't wait to hear something official. that's all i want! one official cd and i'm happy.

what is it to you if he "sell's out". we all want some promotion so that Gn'R can rock the world again and be the greatest. what is wrong with letting the masses know it's coming their way??

If there's no publicity = Bitching

If there is Publicity = Bitching

what the fuck do you people want?????

a reaunion?????

Give up with the reunion crap lol its gone too far now, we have a whole new band and a whole new album of songs they have worked on!

We should be happy they have started promotion. SMILE!!!

Oh, and Harley Davidsons are NOT crap!!!

I'm with that response!

And of course he can sell out to whomever he wants, but it is just something I don't think artists should do. He can give Paradise City to a Chucky Cheese commercial, but it gives the song a rediculous connotation.

Pubes.

i actually agree with u about that but thing is its not my desicion or my band to have that y'know, that input or be in a position to make those judgements. i personally dont agree with it but i wont fault people for doing it which is almost a contradiction but not quite i think u'll find. im pretty much ass in the grass into all kindsa music but punk rock was/is/always will be my first n foremost primary root of all existence love n as such i still carry that "sell out" thing around with me in the way my mind works but then again i dont think, in this world we live in where theres people out there who make money by soliciting little children as sex slaves n other such abominations that i could really fault a man by lending a song to a motoring commercial to make some money, it aint a bad way to make a living, theres a lot worse out there, thats alls im sayin, every mans gotta right to get theirs like u get urs.

I'm with that response!

Pubes.

i actually agree with u about that but thing is its not my desicion or my band to have that y'know, that input or be in a position to make those judgements. i personally dont agree with it but i wont fault people for doing it which is almost a contradiction but not quite i think u'll find. im pretty much ass in the grass into all kindsa music but punk rock was/is/always will be my first n foremost primary root of all existence love n as such i still carry that "sell out" thing around with me in the way my mind works but then again i dont think, in this world we live in where theres people out there who make money by soliciting little children as sex slaves n other such abominations that i could really fault a man by lending a song to a motoring commercial to make some money, it aint a bad way to make a living, theres a lot worse out there, thats alls im sayin, every mans gotta right to get theirs like u get urs.

That got deeper than I expected!! Haha!

I'm with that response!

Pubes.

That got deeper than I expected!! Haha!

:rofl-lol: sorry! i talk too much!!

If there's no publicity = Bitching

If there is Publicity = Bitching

what the fuck do you people want?????

a reaunion?????

Give up with the reunion crap lol its gone too far now, we have a whole new band and a whole new album of songs they have worked on!

We should be happy they have started promotion. SMILE!!!

Oh, and Harley Davidsons are NOT crap!!!

yes they are crap' ive rode one-have you?

overweight' slow' no handling, more vibration than a lesbian gangbang

I have no problems with this particular ad.

They chose a company that targets people who listen to this music, and the scene with black sheep going their own way totally fits with the music.

I find it lame when artists agree to license music to totally unrelated products, such as detergent, cleaning products and in some cases cars (I'm not talking about Slash here because he wasn't sitting in a car - I'm thinking more of Sting). And when this happens, whenever you hear the song, you think of that God-awful product, which ruins your enjoyment of the song. ... This Harley commercial doesn't do that. In fact, it enhances the song. I think it's well-done.