Better .. A Modern Edge and a Classic Edge

iamme

Common misconception. Contraband doesn't sound like it's 1988. It's actually got a very modern sound.

In fact, I think a lot more GnR fans would like Velvet Revolver if they did make 80's sounding rock and Slash still played the way he did in GnR and Snakepit. Not me, though.

Oh, and the sentiment you express in your last sentence. Very original. First time I've heard it on this forum!

I don't understand that, maybe I haven't followed Slash's solo career as well as I should have but I think he has improved with age.

A lot of people degrade his playing because he's not in GN'R anymore. We all know Axl & Slash have and probably always will have made their greatest work together but it doesn't mean their both still good. The lyrics to 'There Was A Time' are absolutely great and the solo to 'You Got No Right' is fuckin' excellent...

So where do we go?

To the OP,

I agree completely man. The best thing about "Better" is that it truly is a fusion of old and new GN'R. The intro has a newer sound (and that includes Axl's falsetto), but then it kicks in and it sounds like old GN'R. Then you hit the Buckethead solo, which kicks ass but is more modern. Then towards the end we get a classic GN'R solo from Finck that is just as good as many of Slash's solos (the opening notes of the solo are just as good as SCOM in my opinion, although it's not as long so it's not quite on SCOM's level). And then the song closes with the same sound from the intro.

great post !!!!!

my mum liked better too :)

yeah really great post... don't know if my mom liked better couse when I made her listen to it I only had it in shitty quality, but she really liked Madagascar and The Blues

haha is this some kinda trend, when i went and saw them live with my mum in dublin she said that better was her favourite also :P

My sister who is 17 years old always hate me listening to GNR music.

Then last week when I was singing myself "No one ever tell me when I was alone, they just thought I knew better" , she ask what song is that.

I go to my computer and play the song for her and she ask me to send the song to her mobile phone.

Haha...

Looks like AXL will rule once again.

I do think if Better becomes a big hit, it will be because the chicks dig it. It's got the catchy, ultra-poppy sound I can just imagine Lindsay Lohan and followers of her ilk eating up.

If the song were a movie, it would be mostly a chick flick, but a good one at that...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

So, basically, you could've said "I like Better, as does my mom"

Haha... right on.

Okay, my turn.

My name is Matt... and I'm a Guns N' Holic. (Everyone now says "Hi Matt"). Usually I'm hammered and I rant...

didnt like "better" when i heard the leaks, and i still don't like a lot of it instrumentally, but the vocal melody is fucking amazing and i cant get it out of my head. finck's solo is also amazing. good song.

i especially like it more now that i know the first line is "the hardest part this troubled heart...." as opposed to "the hardest part this SUPPLE heart...." i was all like "supple heart?....okay, buddy!" :rofl-lol:

however, lyric sheet or no lyric sheet, i still like to pretend that he says "welcome to the jungle, it gets worser everyday" as opposed to "worse here." "worser" is like way badical cause it's NOT EVEN A WORD....it's like "damn this jungle's so fucked up this guy can't even speak english!"

So a lot of original fans will hate new record but that won't bother Axl

He will have new fan base - Housewives :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol: can't be good.

A lot of the girls who liked GnR first time round probably are now - they are the original fans.

All the 15 year olds on this site would have been born when YUI came out - YOU are the new fan base.

So what?

LP

Edited by Longpig

My sister who is 17 years old always hate me listening to GNR music.

I got the same scenario..

but, if she ever started to like GnR..I would spread a rumor of her raping dogs, or something..

:rofl-lol: but surely that could backfire? people will be like "NOOOO! dont listen to GN'R they are worse then the old days they now promote dog raping in their songs!!!"