Axl's voice significantly deteriorates over the course of a concert

KyleMac

Go listen to Rock AM WTTJ (this has one of the best opening screams ive ever heard), then go listen to Nighttrain from Rock AM (i believe the last song before the encore). He is literally dead on balls accurate, maybe better than i have ever heard him live on Jungle. Then he struggles a bit with Nighttrain. He still sounds really good on Nighttrain, but its apparent that he cannot hit every single note, and doesnt even go for the high "ridin the Nighttrain.. never to retuuururururururn" haha).

Wow, i have never listened to his performances early in the concert, i always have been listening to songs later in most of his setlists (better, nighttrain, sweet child, IRS, paradise city). Brownstone also sounds great nearly everytime, another song he usually does very early in his concerts. It looks like he starts to lose a little bit of rasp around the time of "You Could Be Mine" (song 8). He does sound really good on IRS at Rock AM, so that may blow a hole in my argument. But I think its clear that if he started with Nighttrain, Better, Paradise City (would never happen) or YCBM, those songs would sound a lot better.

I know that generally any performer's voice will deteriorate over the course of a concert, its just a bit more apparent with Axl because of his singing style and putting so much strain on his voice.

Anyone care to comment who has been to the concerts or has seen Axl in the past, does this have any merit?

Edited by KyleMac

Go listen to Rock AM WTTJ (this has one of the best opening screams ive ever heard), then go listen to Nighttrain from Rock AM (i believe the last song before the encore). He is literally dead on balls accurate, maybe better than i have ever heard him live on Jungle. Then he struggles a bit with Nighttrain. He still sounds really good on Nighttrain, but its apparent that he cannot hit every single note, and doesnt even go for the high "ridin the Nighttrain.. never to retuuururururururn" haha).

Wow, i have never listened to his performances early in the concert, i always have been listening to songs later in most of his setlists (better, nighttrain, sweet child, IRS, paradise city). Brownstone also sounds great nearly everytime, another song he usually does very early in his concerts. It looks like he starts to lose a little bit of rasp around the time of "You Could Be Mine" (song 8). He does sound really good on IRS at Rock AM, so that may blow a hole in my argument. But I think its clear that if he started with Nighttrain, Better, Paradise City (would never happen) or YCBM, those songs would sound a lot better.

I know that generally any performer's voice will deteriorate over the course of a concert, its just a bit more apparent with Axl because of his singing style and putting so much strain on his voice.

Anyone care to comment who has been to the concerts or has seen Axl in the past, does this have any merit?

The other thing you're forgetting is he runs around on stage a hell of a lot more than probably 99% of the singers out there. A lot of singers just stand there. If Axl did, he'd be one of the very best live singers ever. Instead, he's a very good live singer and definitely one of the best live performers/showmen ever.

The other thing you're forgetting is he runs around on stage a hell of a lot more than probably 99% of the singers out there. A lot of singers just stand there. If Axl did, he'd be one of the very best live singers ever. Instead, he's a very good live singer and definitely one of the best live performers/showmen ever.

That 1% being Mick Jagger. :book:

I agree with your comment about being one the best lives singers, but we wouldn't trade Axl's movement for the world. :)

Edited by Leigh-Rok!

I agree with your comment about being one the best lives singers, but we would trade Axl's movement for the world. :)

I agree about the Mick Jagger thing. Seeing him live is just amazing :heart:

But I wouldn't want Axl to lose his moves to sing better. His moves make the concert much more intresting

I agree with your comment about being one the best lives singers, but we wouldn't trade Axl's movement for the world. :)

I agree about the Mick Jagger thing. Seeing him live is just amazing :heart:

But I wouldn't want Axl to lose his moves to sing better. His moves make the concert much more intresting

Sorry bro, that was a typo. Ops.

Corrected.

It's not in Axl's nature to slow down, he has amazing natural stamina.

Does Jagger do full sprints across the stage like Axl? Nope, not even back in the 1960s did he do that sort of thing. I don't care how in-shape you are, doing a full sprint and then attempting to sing the hell out of a song (something Jagger is NOT known for doing live...Axl gives 110% effort pretty much all the time VOCALLY...Jagger sounds mediocre like he's not trying and concentrating more on visuals than on singing every time I've heard him, even back in his heyday). And hell, for that matter, Axl's singing style is more exhausting than Jagger's. Even on studio tracks, Jagger does NOT scream very often at all. That's an exhausting thing. Imagine Robert Plant trying to run around like Axl did and do those screams. Axl is one of a kind when it comes to actually being about 80-90% accurate (sometimes even better) with the sound while still doing ridiculous activities on stage like running all the way across it. Even a pro athlete couldn't combine that I don't think. They'd be winded too and wouldn't be able to effin' sing at all (and they can't sing in the first place b/c of a thing called talent lol).

But if y'all wanna include him in the 1%, then that's fine with me.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Does Jagger do full sprints across the stage like Axl? Nope, not even back in the 1960s did he do that sort of thing. I don't care how in-shape you are, doing a full sprint and then attempting to sing the hell out of a song (something Jagger is NOT known for doing live...Axl gives 110% effort pretty much all the time VOCALLY...Jagger sounds mediocre like he's not trying and concentrating more on visuals than on singing every time I've heard him, even back in his heyday). And hell, for that matter, Axl's singing style is more exhausting than Jagger's. Even on studio tracks, Jagger does NOT scream very often at all. That's an exhausting thing. Imagine Robert Plant trying to run around like Axl did and do those screams. Axl is one of a kind when it comes to actually being about 80-90% accurate (sometimes even better) with the sound while still doing ridiculous activities on stage like running all the way across it. Even a pro athlete couldn't combine that I don't think. They'd be winded too and wouldn't be able to effin' sing at all (and they can't sing in the first place b/c of a thing called talent lol).

Have you ever seen Mick Jagger live?

I think the Nightrain is the BEST I have ever seen Axl live, since the mid 90's.

I actually thought Nightrain was one of the vocal highlights of Rock Am Ring, and i'm usually extremely critical of Axl's voice.

Nightrain - Rock Am Ring for those that haven't seen it. Top 3 best NewGNR moments, IMO.

what are the other 2?

Hmm... i'd have to give that some thought. A few spring to mind.... The opening scream at the '02 VMA's, the double scream in the "You're gonna die" in Jungle at Rock In Rio III, The Blues from Boston '02, The opening scream of Jungle at Rock Am Ring, Izzy on stage for the first time in New York, the end of TWAT in New York, the turnaround in the performance at Donnington in '06, Madagascar in Budapest, IRS in Manchester...those are off the top of my head. There's a lot to choose from.

EDIT: Add to that all the things we've experienced - hearing the leaks for the first time, the introduction of BBF and his amazing November Rain solo... shit like that.

EDIT #2: Sossego. First time I enjoyed hearing something Finck played. ;)

Edited by highvoltage

Point well furnished.

Although I would NEVER doubt Axl capabilities, and only mentioned Jagger as the "1%" because 'GNRfan' was talking about 99%...

Also I mentioned Jagger due to a mini review I was given about his performance by a friend on here. :book:

I actually thought Nightrain was one of the vocal highlights of Rock Am Ring, and i'm usually extremely critical of Axl's voice.

Nightrain - Rock Am Ring for those that haven't seen it. Top 3 best NewGNR moments, IMO.

what are the other 2?

Hmm... i'd have to give that some thought. A few spring to mind.... The opening scream at the '02 VMA's, the double scream in the "You're gonna die" in Jungle at Rock In Rio III, The Blues from Boston '02, The opening scream of Jungle at Rock Am Ring, Izzy on stage for the first time in New York, the end of TWAT in New York, the turnaround in the performance at Donnington in '06, Madagascar in Budapest, IRS in Manchester...those are off the top of my head. There's a lot to choose from.

EDIT: Add to that all the things we've experienced - hearing the leaks for the first time, the introduction of BBF and his amazing November Rain solo... shit like that.

EDIT #2: Sossego. First time I enjoyed hearing something Finck played. ;)

let`s not forget BBFs don`t cry solo :blink:

i saw jagger in london this year and i can tell ya he does run from one side of the stage to the other quite alot, especially at the end....

just watched that performance of night train, its just fucking awesome!!

I saw The Rolling Stones in Bergen, Oslo this year with my grilfriend. I've never really listened to them but after that concert they changed my whole perspective. Their stage precence is absolutely amazing!! Jagger runs a lot and sings amazingly. But Keith Richards, OH mY God! He's so awsome! He just got the charisma that will reach anyone in the crowd. Wood also was very funny and they all seemed to enjoy the show as much as the fans. They were smiling, joking around. It was totally awsome. Even though it was raining almost the whole show I enjoyed every bit!!

Axl has clearly learned some voice control techniques...he's now demonstrating constraint and pacing himself more when it comes to singing.The Illusion concerts I saw,he pounded the shit out of his voice onstage...just abused his vocal chords,to the point where he could hardly squeak out certain songs towards the end.

His vocals may not be as strong as they were when he was in his 20's...but listening to that Harley ad,he's got that trademark Axl tone.It's there when he wants it!

At Hammerstein in May I was quite impressed with his vocals..from beginning to end!

yeah and don't forget when Axl (actually back in old days) ran this olympic ring or what ever it's called while singing.