Why Does Finck Get Slated So Much?

There Was A Fine

hahahaha, i have never read so much bullshit.

Robin owning Slash solos. Yeah- thats the point, theyre SLASH solos you muppets.

And if Slash was still in GNR now, you wouldnt be saying his solos were shit.

He wrote them. He created them. He played them. so just because someone now plays it in their own way, it means they own Slash's version? Its just unfair on Slash to say that.

Without Slash's riffs this whole Chinese Democracy fucking saga wouldnt be happening because GNR would not exist as the big name that it is today.

Yeah Robin is a good guitarist- but lets judge him on his Chinese Democracy album work, rather than his Slash impersonations.

And so far his work looks good.

I'm not bashing Robin, just these 'Guns N Roses fans' who hate Slash...one of the reasons they became GNR fans in the first-place, because lets face it, he's part of the music that you fell in love with.

Can't say it much fairer than that.

Edited by slashplay

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin owning Slash solos. Yeah- thats the point, theyre SLASH solos you muppets.

I'm not bashing Robin, just these 'Guns N Roses fans' who hate Slash...one of the reasons they became GNR fans in the first-place, because lets face it, he's part of the music that you fell in love with.

great post :)

So maybe there is some people on this board who don't like Finck but it doesn't seem to matter because critics are diggin' him so fuck 'em.

Oh, so now it only matters what the critics have to say, not the fans? :huh:

OK, I'll remember that the next time the band gets a shit review...

At the end of the day the guys reviewing them for newspapers and magazines are gonna be the ones who influence a lot of people in the general public, so if a large part of them are saying the new band are good and Robin 'in particular' is very good, then it's excellent for the band.

So a minority of fans on this forum dislike Robin Finck, fair enough but when the record comes out a lot of minds will be changed. You only have to listen to his work on the demos to know that the guy can take the reigns that Slash dropped years ago. His solo in 'Better', 'There Was A Time' and the new solo in 'I.R.S' live demonstrate that the guy has an obvious song/solo writing talent and is more than just a chord basher for NIN.

He wrote them. He created them. He played them. so just because someone now plays it in their own way, it means they own Slash's version? Its just unfair on Slash to say that.

Without Slash's riffs this whole Chinese Democracy fucking saga wouldnt be happening because GNR would not exist as the big name that it is today.

Yeah Robin is a good guitarist- but lets judge him on his Chinese Democracy album work, rather than his Slash impersonations.

And so far his work looks good.

Agreed, great post.

Take note people.

So maybe there is some people on this board who don't like Finck but it doesn't seem to matter because critics are diggin' him so fuck 'em.

At the end of the day the guys reviewing them for newspapers and magazines are gonna be the ones who influence a lot of people in the general public, so if a large part of them are saying the new band are good and Robin 'in particular' is very good, then it's excellent for the band.

So a minority of fans on this forum dislike Robin Finck, fair enough but when the record comes out a lot of minds will be changed. You only have to listen to his work on the demos to know that the guy can take the reigns that Slash dropped years ago. His solo in 'Better', 'There Was A Time' and the new solo in 'I.R.S' live demonstrate that the guy has an obvious song/solo writing talent and is more than just a chord basher for NIN.

I do agree.. Although I love both old and new... Plain and simple..

KK x

stupid.....

I dont hate Slash, i love him, hes a kickass guitarist.

And ive never ever said hes soloes were shit.

Everybody thinks the "new gunners" hate Slash because the "old gunners" talks shit about Finck/Fortus/Thal whenever they possibly can.

And that allways leads to debate slash vs "the new guys"

So if you could just try to focus more on the new guitarist, wich IS GN'Rs guitarist it would be better.

Stop living in the past and accept the new ones ;)

Edited by Chris Axl

I'll tell you why he gets slated.

because he is the guy playing most of the leads in the band. he is the guy who replaced the former lead guitarist just months after his departure. he is the guitar icon of this band and the dislike stems from jealousy.

he has an amazing tone. his style is amazing, his stage presence is amazing. when this album hits, he is going to be huge. and that just kills the slash cupcakes.. so they bag on him.

he's my favorite guitarist. rock3

he has jumped high on my list

because he is the guy playing most of the leads in the band. he is the guy who replaced the former lead guitarist just months after his departure. he is the guitar icon of this band and the dislike stems from jealousy.

he has an amazing tone. his style is amazing, his stage presence is amazing. when this album hits, he is going to be huge. and that just kills the slash cupcakes.. so they bag on him.

ROCK THE FUCK ON!!! rock1

you fuckheads just dont wanna give him a chance coz he replaced slash, WELL FUCK YOU

people need to stop and get on with there lives robin is the lead, slash isn't coming back the band is who they are and robin is one bad ass mofo

Everybody thinks the "new gunners" hate Slash because the "old gunners" talks shit about Finck/Fortus/Thal whenever they possibly can.

Nobody is talking shit about Fortus and Thal, they only talk shit about Finck!

you fuckheads just dont wanna give him a chance coz he replaced slash, WELL FUCK YOU

no..fuck you..

if only if it were so easy, to as why some "slate" Finck...

its not because of Slash..if thats honestly what your thinking.. :lol::lol: !!..

Exactly.

Saying people don't like Finck because he replaced Slash is just a bullshit excuse. No One needs to tell me why I don't like him as a guitarist. It has fuck all to do with former members. I like Fortus ALOT, and Tommy is good too. If I was so hung up on the former line-up I wouldn't feel that way or even admit to it.

And saying that Finck plays the songs with his own "style" is just a fucking cop-out. Sorry, if he was such a great guitarist Axl wouldn't feel the need to have had Bucket there and now Ron as well as Richard to help share lead guitar duties. Slash didn't need any help to play all the solos. Finck needs 2 other guitarists to back him up and get the same job done.

People try to equate his loyalty to Axl as being equal to his skills as a guitar player. That's not the case at all. Good for him that he's stayed in the band all these years (except of course when he left and Axl thought that was a GOOD thing), still doesn't make him a good guitarist.

bad argument. its not a matter of needing someone else to pick up robin's slack. its because the band is awesome with 3 guitarists who each have their own style and bring their own thing to the table. gilby cited this as one of his reasons for quiting/getting himself fired was because he didn't want to play in a band with 3 guitarists.. and this was 1994.

robin plays the old material the way he choses to play it. he's the lead guitarist, they are his parts to play as he wishes. i think he does a great job, and i think the majority would agree outside of some silly slash fanboys on a gnr forum.

Robin plays the old material the way he wants to play it which is fortunate on the majority of the songs. Not on November Rain, on that song his solo sounds like a castrated cat being strangled, he bends over backwards like he's trying to dodge bullets in the Matrix and he lifts his legs like a dog peeing on a wall. Now posture is not important, but if it was, for those few seconds he'd be in major trouble. As for the actual sounds he gets from his instrument, It definitely is not the November Rain solo. Now before you shoot your mouths off about how "He's doing it in his own style" imagine the uproar there would be if he altered the SCOM intro to suit his own style. It's the same principle. Fortus and The foot stay true to the way the music was written, Finck does on most of the other old songs... on that one he tried to change it and it didn't work. That solo is supposed to be about country and western-ish bent high notes. Now, robin bends it so much it goes out of tune and he plays a higher note after the main high note which undermines its importance and changes the style and layout of the whole solo before trying to go back and play the remainder of the original solo off time.

I like Robin Finck, i just like him a lot less than Bumble and Fortus (both of whom i prefer to Slash) And therefore i wish that their positions and responsibilities would change and Finck would get a shorter end of the stick. Bumblefoot is a guitar virtuoso! Joe Satriani admires him! sorry King Dick, but Satch's opinion counts more in my book than yours about guitarists. Therefore i believe that Bumble is the best guitarist in the band, he's definitely the smoothest and most melodically talented. Finck made mistakes in 02 after years of working with the band, bumble arrived within a week and has made no mistakes so far! Ron Thal > Robin Finck. Fact, not opinion.

having said that I do like Finck, i just prefer him as a rhythm guitarist (see sossego) go ahead and rip into me but that's the facts jacks (as Axl once said)

no..fuck you..

its not because of Slash..if thats honestly what your thinking.. :lol::lol: !!..

Exactly.

Saying people don't like Finck because he replaced Slash is just a bullshit excuse. No One needs to tell me why I don't like him as a guitarist. It has fuck all to do with former members. I like Fortus ALOT, and Tommy is good too. If I was so hung up on the former line-up I wouldn't feel that way or even admit to it.

And saying that Finck plays the songs with his own "style" is just a fucking cop-out. Sorry, if he was such a great guitarist Axl wouldn't feel the need to have had Bucket there and now Ron as well as Richard to help share lead guitar duties. Slash didn't need any help to play all the solos. Finck needs 2 other guitarists to back him up and get the same job done.

People try to equate his loyalty to Axl as being equal to his skills as a guitar player. That's not the case at all. Good for him that he's stayed in the band all these years (except of course when he left and Axl thought that was a GOOD thing), still doesn't make him a good guitarist.

bad argument. its not a matter of needing someone else to pick up robin's slack. its because the band is awesome with 3 guitarists who each have their own style and bring their own thing to the table. gilby cited this as one of his reasons for quiting/getting himself fired was because he didn't want to play in a band with 3 guitarists.. and this was 1994.

robin plays the old material the way he choses to play it. he's the lead guitarist, they are his parts to play as he wishes. i think he does a great job, and i think the majority would agree outside of some silly slash fanboys on a gnr forum.

Robin plays the old material the way he wants to play it which is fortunate on the majority of the songs. Not on November Rain, on that song his solo sounds like a castrated cat being strangled, he bends over backwards like he's trying to dodge bullets in the Matrix and he lifts his legs like a dog peeing on a wall. Now posture is not important, but if it was, for those few seconds he'd be in major trouble. As for the actual sounds he gets from his instrument, It definitely is not the November Rain solo. Now before you shoot your mouths off about how "He's doing it in his own style" imagine the uproar there would be if he altered the SCOM intro to suit his own style. It's the same principle. Fortus and The foot stay true to the way the music was written, Finck does on most of the other old songs... on that one he tried to change it and it didn't work. That solo is supposed to be about country and western-ish bent high notes. Now, robin bends it so much it goes out of tune and he plays a higher note after the main high note which undermines its importance and changes the style and layout of the whole solo before trying to go back and play the remainder of the original solo off time.

I like Robin Finck, i just like him a lot less than Bumble and Fortus (both of whom i prefer to Slash) And therefore i wish that their positions and responsibilities would change and Finck would get a shorter end of the stick. Bumblefoot is a guitar virtuoso! Joe Satriani admires him! sorry King Dick, but Satch's opinion counts more in my book than yours about guitarists. Therefore i believe that Bumble is the best guitarist in the band, he's definitely the smoothest and most melodically talented. Finck made mistakes in 02 after years of working with the band, bumble arrived within a week and has made no mistakes so far! Ron Thal > Robin Finck. Fact, not opinion.

having said that I do like Finck, i just prefer him as a rhythm guitarist (see sossego) go ahead and rip into me but that's the facts jacks (as Axl once said)

when i created this topic i only wanted like a sentence or something,

but im sorry i started this war :shocked::confused:

Huh?

Finck getting slated has absolutely nothing to do with Slash. I love Fortus and Ron - they both play guitar in Guns N' Roses, just like Slash did. If I didn't like Finck because of Slash, then I wouldn't like Fortus or Ron either.

It's not even that I dislike him that much - he's growing on me, and I enjoy the way he plays his own solos. It's some of his takes on the old stuff that I don't enjoy. I don't see why you have to put it down to people missing Slash - Finck has a weird style that you either love, or you hate. I can't stand his November Rain solo, for example - but I really like his Mr Brownstone solo. It's just the hitting of random notes that sound really out of place that I don't enjoy at times.

no..fuck you..

Exactly.

when i created this topic i only wanted like a sentence or something,

but im sorry i started this war :shocked::confused:

Hah, it's alright dude, it's good to debate. personally i just like Guns N Roses. However nothing's perfect for everyone so therfore we humans enjoy nitpicking the stuff we don't like and trying to change it. Unfortunate habit. :lol: and yes i know what you mean, i can be rather long winded but i hope there's some valid arguments in there :D oh, and I agree with Highvoltage!

Edited by Graeme

The only thing bad about the argument here is that you needed to bring up Gilby and 1994 to try and justify a point. Of course 3 guitarists will have their own styles and each bring something different to the table. Having 12 guitarists will do the same thing, does that still make it a good thing? Fact is, he either can't or won't play all the material on his own. I do give him credit for one thing though. Most "lead" guitarists are just that, lead. Not sure how many would feel having 2 others in the band do their job for them and not take it as a slap in the face. He's taking it like a man. :)

Your original post seemed to be directed towards the people on this board, who by the way are not in the minority when it comes to their dislike of Finck's playing. If you were referring to the general public, well then of course positive reviews from outside critics would be a good thing for the band.

I will say that I do hope you're right that minds will be changed about Robin once the record is released. Being compared to the original member who wrote and performed the music he now has to play was inevitable and came with the job when he was hired. When the album drops he will finally be judged on his own merits.

[/quot

I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy! it had ONE hell of alot with Axl allowing him to keep his NIN costume on. There is nothing remotely cool about a man wearing cat in the hat socks while playing some of the greatist music ever written. Any man who allows his Asshole to be microphone fucked *on Stage just doesn't command the respect of GNR fans.

*trent Reznor...look it up on youTube.com

Slash gets the respect from the guitar community . Thats all that needs to be said.

Your original post seemed to be directed towards the people on this board, who by the way are not in the minority when it comes to their dislike of Finck's playing. If you were referring to the general public, well then of course positive reviews from outside critics would be a good thing for the band.

I will say that I do hope you're right that minds will be changed about Robin once the record is released. Being compared to the original member who wrote and performed the music he now has to play was inevitable and came with the job when he was hired. When the album drops he will finally be judged on his own merits.

I think that it is a minority of people who dislike Finck's playing. I've been noticing an increasing amount of people diggin' what he brings to the band. I think it's fair enough that people don't like him because he does do things differently but the replacement for Slash is always going to get heat. How can you live up to those expectations? The answer, of course, is that you cannot and therefore he will never be good enough for some people.

As for your second point, I completly agree.

I don't like him because he more or less changed his entire image to fit in with the term 'Rock Band' (that was not cool)

yeah because he was born sporting NIN's image.. :rolleyes: he never had another image style..

well, you have to do you homework and search for Robin pics when he was younger, before NIN.. he used to have the SAME image and hairstyle he has now.. so I don't think he changed his entire image "to fit the term 'Rock Band'" he just went back to his style before NIN

and who are you to say that's not cool without even knowing why he changed his image in the first place, you are prejudicing him and I just proved you wrong, I bet the 'Rock Band image' was the last thing in his mind when he changed his style

Good for him that he's stayed in the band all these years (except of course when he left and Axl thought that was a GOOD thing), still doesn't make him a good guitarist.

well, then why was Axl so desperate when Robin went back with NIN and had to call Brian May to help him make some new songs? I believe there's an interview with Brian that says this.. I don't think Axl meant to say it was a good thing when Robin left, he lost an important creative force so he had to call Brian to keep on working

Robin has a lot of input in this album I have no doubts

i cant think of anyone here who would moan if bumble took the lead spot

yeah, but a lot of us would also feel less excited about the line up.. Bumble is great, everyone likes him but it gets pretty boring, he doesn't trigger intense emotions like Robin does, either be love or hatred, but he is magnetic and doesn't go unnoticed, and lots of us love him and believe it or not he makes a lotsa difference in the empathy and attraction of this new line up

you need someone like him to descentralize the attention from Axl, another polarizing, charismatic personality

Finck made mistakes in 02 after years of working with the band, bumble arrived within a week and has made no mistakes so far! Ron Thal > Robin Finck. Fact, not opinion.

it's opinion, because I happen to disagree

I think Bumble is really talented to accomplish all that in one week notice, yes, but he improvises too much in the new songs and some other long solos.. guess to each their own

Edited by angel of music

Finck gets Slated so much because: He isn't Slash

When Finck is really into what he is doing (performing Better for example) he is a really good guitarist. However, when Finck covers the Gn'R back catalogue of songs, he does a great job of covering them. Gn'R fans shouldn't really expect anything more from him. Slash is always going to sound more into it with reguards to the old Gn'R songs as he (Slash) was a part of the creation process.

Besides, i am not all that aware that Finck is being slated.

Edited by dobadog

I do give him credit for one thing though. Most "lead" guitarists are just that, lead. Not sure how many would feel having 2 others in the band do their job for them and not take it as a slap in the face. He's taking it like a man. :)

this isn't a competition.. they work as a team, so no one needs to be bitter about it.. Robin enjoys playing with Ron and Richard especially, he is good friends with Richard, they are like brothers, I doubt he takes it anywhere close as a slap in the face..

to be honest i like the fella - i think the finck we have now is way cool (not the shit hair and goth crap of 02) and they come acros like so much more of a band now, rather than a group of hired hands. if theres one man to take slashs place im glad its finck and not some fella who just plays really fast for the hell of it like some of hte names that got flooded around a while back

he doesn't get slated that much

you can't expect everyone to love him

he knew he'd be compared to slash when he signed up for new GnR, so if he is slated because he isn't slash(which is gay) then he had made the decision to put up with it

he needs to prove himself still, everyone only says"he made Better therefore he's the best" you need more than one song :rolleyes:

Excellent way to put it. I don't think Finck plays in any VW commericials, maybe he doesn't need the publicity. :rofl-lol:

I love Slash too, but he quit GN'R and GN'R is still really good without him and FINCK ROCKS !!!!! :

Rainman

Good for him that he's stayed in the band all these years (except of course when he left and Axl thought that was a GOOD thing), still doesn't make him a good guitarist.

well, then why was Axl so desperate when Robin went back with NIN and had to call Brian May to help him make some new songs? I believe there's an interview with Brian that says this.. I don't think Axl meant to say it was a good thing when Robin left, he lost an important creative force so he had to call Brian to keep on working

Robin has a lot of input in this album I have no doubts

So you think Axl called Brian May in to try and fill Robin's shoes? :huh:

I bet Brian did the whole "I'm not worthy" bow.

Ahahaha.....GOOD ONE! :lol:

I do give him credit for one thing though. Most "lead" guitarists are just that, lead. Not sure how many would feel having 2 others in the band do their job for them and not take it as a slap in the face. He's taking it like a man. :)

this isn't a competition.. they work as a team, so no one needs to be bitter about it.. Robin enjoys playing with Ron and Richard especially, he is good friends with Richard, they are like brothers, I doubt he takes it anywhere close as a slap in the face..

Who said it was a competition?

When an employee is hired to do a job, he's expected to perform to the best of his abilities.

That's awesome that Richard and Robin are friends. I have friends at work too. But I don't expect them to have to pick up my slack and do my job for me.

I don't think Finck plays in any VW commericials, maybe he doesn't need the publicity. :rofl-lol:

Why WOULD they ask Finck to do a VW commercial? :blink:

Isn't the whole point of an advertisement campaign to try and sell their product?

The average joe who goes to the concerts still don't even know who Finck is, much less the average joe sitting at home watching t.v.