Why Does Finck Get Slated So Much?

There Was A Fine

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash gets the respect from the guitar community . Thats all that needs to be said.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians. People think he's good and looks cool with that afro of his. But when it comes down to it, he's just a mediocre clone of past legends like Perry and Page. He's a copy-cat. The Carlos Santana of hard-rock.

Slash hasn't brought absolutely nothing that has changed or influenced the way people write music or play the guitar. Kurt Cobain was never "technically" as good as Slash, but he was able to change rock music with his simple but yet creative music.

Some of you folks don't seem to understand that Finck doesn't come from the Aerosmith or AC/DC background that Slash loves to emulate. The guy is a product of the alternative and industrial era. An era where musicians stride to be innovate and different. An era where people cared more about making innovative music then trying to sound like someone else.

Just imagine how hard it must have been for Axl to even get Finck, Stinson, Brain, and Buckethead to join GnR in the first place. None of these guys wanted to play the old stuff. Why? Was it too hard? Not likely. As Axl said, "These guys are musicians." They don't want to be a copy-cat like Slash and the old guys.

None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover. They've never even owned a GnR record before. So, just imagine if you had to learn to play the parts to the music you had no respect for. But they did it anyways. They did it because they believed in Axl's vision for GnR. They believed in the music that they were making with GnR. They believed that their version of GnR will actually make music that people respect artistically. So, it was a sacrifice they all had to make. A sacrifice to win the hearts of the old GnR fans.

Slash gets the respect from the guitar community . Thats all that needs to be said.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians. People think he's good and looks cool with that afro of his. But when it comes down to it, he's just a mediocre clone of past legends like Perry and Page. He's a copy-cat. The Carlos Santana of hard-rock.

Slash hasn't brought absolutely nothing that has changed or influenced the way people write music or play the guitar. Kurt Cobain was never "technically" as good as Slash, but he was able to change rock music with his simple but yet creative music.

Some of you folks don't seem to understand that Finck doesn't come from the Aerosmith or AC/DC background that Slash loves to emulate. The guy is a product of the alternative and industrial era. An era where musicians stride to be innovate and different. An era where people cared more about making innovative music then trying to sound like someone else.

Just imagine how hard it must have been for Axl to even get Finck, Stinson, Brain, and Buckethead to join GnR in the first place. None of these guys wanted to play the old stuff. Why? Was it too hard? Not likely. As Axl said, "These guys are musicians." They don't want to be a copy-cat like Slash and the old guys.

None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover. They've never even owned a GnR record before. So, just imagine if you had to learn to play the parts to the music you had no respect for. But they did it anyways. They did it because they believed in Axl's vision for GnR. They believed in the music that they were making with GnR. They believed that their version of GnR will actually make music that people respect artistically. So, it was a sacrifice they all had to make. A sacrifice to win the hearts of the old GnR fans.

What a fuckin' post! rock1

I'm willing to bet that somewhere around 90% of that post is incorrect. The 10% that was correct was where you said Kurt Cobain was nowhere as good as Slash.

I'd type out a reply, but just imagine that I said the exact opposite of everything you said. :)

I'm willing to bet that somewhere around 90% of that post is incorrect. The 10% that was correct was where you said Kurt Cobain was nowhere as good as Slash.

I'd type out a reply, but just imagine that I said the exact opposite of everything you said. :)

Accuracy is optional on a forum. At least he made an argument (albeit a false one) instead of just saying Slash sucks balls.

But when it comes down to it, he's just a mediocre clone of past legends like Perry and Page. He's a copy-cat.

Maybe, but at least he played his own songs.

An era where musicians stride to be innovate and different.

Is that an excuse for his playing: "No, no he isn't playing the solo wrong, he is just trying to be innovate and different!"

They've never even owned a GnR record before.

I think Finck never heard a GnR record before, because otherwise he would know that he's playing the wrong notes.

Your post is just ridiculous!

Edited by misch

Heres why the album has taken 13 years to get out....

they had to teach Fink how to play. Naw that was an asshole thing to say. He'll do alright now that hes abandoned the cat in the hat socks and the pancake makeup. It isn't rocket science.

""Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians. People think he's good and looks cool with that afro of his. But when it comes down to it, he's just a mediocre clone of past legends like Perry and Page. He's a copy-cat. The Carlos Santana of hard-rock.""

What the fuck kind of statement is that besides ignorant???

Umm dude have you seen how many guitar magazine covers Slash has been featured on? Have you seenhow many guest spots he's been asked to do? I think maybe you don't know shit about muscians. Hands down there are more people attempting to play like Slash than Robin Fink....

Edited by rockerman

None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover. They've never even owned a GnR record before. So, just imagine if you had to learn to play the parts to the music you had no respect for. But they did it anyways. ccc

Thats about the worst bullshit I've EVER heard. Do you actually believe what you're saying?

"Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians"

I beg to differ. Slash is one the greatest gutarist of all time. He was innovative, he was brilliant, he had

his own style. He had everything. Try to find ONE single list over greatest guitarist where Slash isnt rated

as one of the greatest guitarist of all time.

"Slash hasn't brought absolutely nothing that has changed or influenced the way people write music or play the guitar. "

Wrong! Slash changed my and ALOT of other kids life when we for the first time saw him in a video.

He has inspirated MANY kids, inclueding me to start playing guitar. He is for many people the greatest

guitarist ever. Noone can ever play, or make music like him ever again. He influenced me and many

other how we play guitar, and write music. Without Slash I wouldnt probably start playing guitar.

"None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover."

Why the FUCK start playing in a band you don't even like? Create a new fucking band and stop

fucking up OUR Guns N Roses.

"They did it because they believed in Axl's vision for GnR. They believed in the music that they were making with GnR. They believed that their version of GnR will actually make music that people respect artistically. So, it was a sacrifice they all had to make. A sacrifice to win the hearts of the old GnR fans."

Maybe you and other people like the music they make. I won't say anything about that, but I can say one thing:

They aint or will NEVER be Guns N Fucking Roses.

None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover. They've never even owned a GnR record before. So, just imagine if you had to learn to play the parts to the music you had no respect for. But they did it anyways. ccc

Thats about the worst bullshit I've EVER heard. Do you actually believe what you're saying?

"Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians"

I beg to differ. Slash is one the greatest gutarist of all time. He was innovative, he was brilliant, he had

his own style. He had everything. Try to find ONE single list over greatest guitarist where Slash isnt rated

as one of the greatest guitarist of all time.

"Slash hasn't brought absolutely nothing that has changed or influenced the way people write music or play the guitar. "

Wrong! Slash changed my and ALOT of other kids life when we for the first time saw him in a video.

He has inspirated MANY kids, inclueding me to start playing guitar. He is for many people the greatest

guitarist ever. Noone can ever play, or make music like him ever again. He influenced me and many

other how we play guitar, and write music. Without Slash I wouldnt probably start playing guitar.

"None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover."

Why the FUCK start playing in a band you don't even like? Create a new fucking band and stop

fucking up OUR Guns N Roses.

"They did it because they believed in Axl's vision for GnR. They believed in the music that they were making with GnR. They believed that their version of GnR will actually make music that people respect artistically. So, it was a sacrifice they all had to make. A sacrifice to win the hearts of the old GnR fans."

Maybe you and other people like the music they make. I won't say anything about that, but I can say one thing:

They aint or will NEVER be Guns N Fucking Roses.

AMEN

So you think Axl called Brian May in to try and fill Robin's shoes? :huh:

I bet Brian did the whole "I'm not worthy" bow.

Ahahaha.....GOOD ONE! :lol:

geez, you keep twisting my words.. I didn't say Brian May was called to fill Robin shoes at all.. just making a point that Axl was somewhat lost when Robin apparently abandoned the project.. so he had to bring someone new (Brian May, but could've been anyone!) to start from scratch and don't feel like he had lost everything he built up with Robin..

here, take a look to what Brian May said himself:

BM: ....Axl was feeling that he was in a difficult place because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album (is that Robin??) .... that'd done most of the tracks had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album .... because he'd disappeared, you know. So, he's sort of feeling a kind of divided loyalty and he said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell.

so yeah, Axl was put in a difficult situation with Robin's departure.. which is all I wanted to prove, not if he is better or worse than May or whoever you want to bring to the conversation to shift the subject

Who said it was a competition?

When an employee is hired to do a job, he's expected to perform to the best of his abilities.

That's awesome that Richard and Robin are friends. I have friends at work too. But I don't expect them to have to pick up my slack and do my job for me.

you keep missing the point, who is to say what he was hired for??? I'm sure whatever he was hired to do he has done it already and with excellent results, and the live configuration with 3 guitarists that share lead solos is what Axl wanted and no matter who the guitarists are, if they are capable or not, they would still share the lead cuz Axl seemingly doesn't want a lead guitarist position by default, not because Robin isn't up to par with what the job demands..

so to make it short, nor Ron nor Richard are doing his job, and you're forcing a stretch there to make that arrogant assumption.

Robin can do his job just fine, and he doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing or how..

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians.

i stopped reading right there, because thats the most retarded thing i've ever read.

in musicians polls for riffs, solos and general playing ability slash is usually featured in the top 5.

then he has members of hendrix' band ask him to perform with them, i mean yeah he's really got zero respect amoungst other musicians.

honestly take your head out of your ass and start living in the real world.

Why do people slate Finck? Some of the replies in this thread are laughable. Because he was the one who replaced Slash? What a god damn cop out.

The fact is that in many cases he doesn't play the solos the way Slash wrote them or the way Slash used to play them. In some cases they just sound really odd. November Rain is a good example. Compare this solo to the one Slash did at the VMAs in 1992. I did in a prior thread and even broke down where the most notable differences occured. Here is the link:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry1445185

Hey, if you like the way Finck's solos sound then good for you. But it's obvious that many fans do not. To attribute it all to missing Slash is to blatantly ignore the obvious differences in the way the two play the old solos. If you can't hear the differences then HRF said it right, you just might be deaf. Please see the doctor asap.

For what it's worth, I actually really dig Finck's Patience solo - I think, generally speaking, that is one he does that sounds really cool. He's good at other ones too, especially the new stuff (The Blues and Better solos are fantastic). That's about as objective a review as you're going to read.

The one thing I haven't yet been able to figure out is whether Finck can't play the way Slash did on a lot of the old stuff, or whether he simply chooses not to.

Pretty much myself and every other unbiased guitar player I know (ie not a new GnR nutcase) including some pretty darn good ones can't get their head around the fact that Axl has had Buckethead and Ron Thal in his band and still put Finck on the majority of the leads.

Finck isn't even in the same league as Buckethead and Thal, they both utterly outclass him in every way imaginable.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Finck but he's a decent guitarist but that's the thing... decent. Buckethead and Thal are mindfuckingly awesome guitar players both musically and technically. Every solo both have them have done is always at least good and often absolutely magnificent. Take Bucket's Nightrain for example, he didn't just do justice to it, he fucking nuked the solo and took the it to a whole new level. Finck has NEVER done that with ANY of the solos and he's had about ten times as many opportunities. At best his versions are good and at worst painful. That's why he takes a lot of shit and to be honest, it's Axl that should be taking it for putting him on most of the leads.

Finck should keep some solos he has now that he's good at and appropriate for like Brownstone, My Michelle etc but Thal would do Finck's section of NR, Patience and the Sweet Child solo a lot better.

Edited by PurpleHaze

bad argument. its not a matter of needing someone else to pick up robin's slack. its because the band is awesome with 3 guitarists who each have their own style and bring their own thing to the table. gilby cited this as one of his reasons for quiting/getting himself fired was because he didn't want to play in a band with 3 guitarists.. and this was 1994.

The only thing bad about the argument here is that you needed to bring up Gilby and 1994 to try and justify a point. Of course 3 guitarists will have their own styles and each bring something different to the table. Having 12 guitarists will do the same thing, does that still make it a good thing? Fact is, he either can't or won't play all the material on his own. I do give him credit for one thing though. Most "lead" guitarists are just that, lead. Not sure how many would feel having 2 others in the band do their job for them and not take it as a slap in the face. He's taking it like a man. :)

So maybe there is some people on this board who don't like Finck but it doesn't seem to matter because critics are diggin' him so fuck 'em.

Oh, so now it only matters what the critics have to say, not the fans? :huh:

OK, I'll remember that the next time the band gets a shit review...

At the end of the day the guys reviewing them for newspapers and magazines are gonna be the ones who influence a lot of people in the general public, so if a large part of them are saying the new band are good and Robin 'in particular' is very good, then it's excellent for the band.

So a minority of fans on this forum dislike Robin Finck, fair enough but when the record comes out a lot of minds will be changed. You only have to listen to his work on the demos to know that the guy can take the reigns that Slash dropped years ago. His solo in 'Better', 'There Was A Time' and the new solo in 'I.R.S' live demonstrate that the guy has an obvious song/solo writing talent and is more than just a chord basher for NIN.

Your original post seemed to be directed towards the people on this board, who by the way are not in the minority when it comes to their dislike of Finck's playing. If you were referring to the general public, well then of course positive reviews from outside critics would be a good thing for the band.

I will say that I do hope you're right that minds will be changed about Robin once the record is released. Being compared to the original member who wrote and performed the music he now has to play was inevitable and came with the job when he was hired. When the album drops he will finally be judged on his own merits.

A quote from Robin to you..

"smash everyone on every pedestal you hold above yourself and make a sound from the beginning. listen with total disregard of how you think any may judge you. know to your core that it will not be the last noise you make. listen. keep on. do it over and again. love it."

"smash everyone on every pedestal you hold above yourself and make a sound from the beginning. listen with total disregard of how you think any may judge you. know to your core that it will not be the last noise you :book: make. listen. keep on. do it over and again. love it."

By that logic, Finck himself would have to admit Bucket and Thal are far more approriate lead players than him. They're more original and inventive than he'll ever be.

The only people bashing Robin are the ones who are still pining away for Slash and resent the fact that Robin is in his shoes. Well guys - Slash has moved on. It's time you did too and give Robin a chance.

I've followed Robin since his days with NIN, and he's an amazingly talented, cerebral and charismatic musician. He has the whole package - if you'd give him a chance. I think most of the people on this forum who have seen and heard Robin play live admire his talent and know that GNR is lucky to have him.

The only people bashing Robin are the ones who are still pining away for Slash and resent the fact that Robin is in his shoes. Well guys - Slash has moved on. It's time you did too and give Robin a chance.

I've followed Robin since his days with NIN, and he's an amazingly talented, cerebral and charismatic musician. He has the whole package - if you'd give him a chance.

I'd be dissapointed if Slash rejoined GnR because he doesn't fit with their new sound. To me it's not about the fact he's not Slash, more about the fact that he's a guitar playing ant next to the colossus that is Ron Thal.

Wow Mandy completely OWNS P4Axl! rock2 rock2

And its kinda of funny how most of the posters here who claim to dislike Finck - have pictures of Slash in their avatar or signature. Looks like they are still pissed at Slash leaving and being replaced with someone 10000 times better! rock3

Robin not only fills Slash's shoes...he pisses all over them!

And its kinda of funny how most of the posters here who claim to dislike Finck - have pictures of Slash in their avatar or signature. Looks like they are still pissed at Slash leaving and being replaced with someone 10000 times better! rock3

If Robin ever writes guitar work anything near Appetite, I'll drink a pint of my own fucking piss you ignorant bint.

If Robin ever writes guitar work anything near Appetite, I'll drink a pint of my own fucking piss you ignorant bint.

Great! I ll be looking forward to that! Better start practising