Why Does Finck Get Slated So Much?

There Was A Fine

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Mandy completely OWNS P4Axl! rock2 rock2

And its kinda of funny how most of the posters here who claim to dislike Finck - have pictures of Slash in their avatar or signature. Looks like they are still pissed at Slash leaving and being replaced with someone 10000 times better! rock3

Robin not only fills Slash's shoes...he pisses all over them!

Wow. What's it like living in a world of ignorance?

Wow Mandy completely OWNS P4Axl! rock2 rock2

And its kinda of funny how most of the posters here who claim to dislike Finck - have pictures of Slash in their avatar or signature. Looks like they are still pissed at Slash leaving and being replaced with someone 10000 times better! rock3

Robin not only fills Slash's shoes...he pisses all over them!

Guess you're not a fan of the old stuff. How could you be with a comment like that? A GN'R fan who hates the old music - makes no sense.

You people kill me.

Robin hasn't even come close to achieving what Slash did, both musically and with his on stage act, and everyone knows this, whether they want to admit it or not. Maybe one day Robin will be at the same level, but as of now he isn't. To say Robin pisses all over Slash is to say Robin's 50 or so GN'R shows and the few songs we've heard are better than:

Slash's what, 600 shows? Maybe more

AFD

Lies

UYI I and II

etc.

It's delusional, flat out.

I really hate pounding on this dead horse but with comments like the above what do you expect people who actually respect Slash to do?

...actually I really am indecisive in whether or not I enjoy Robin's playing. I don't think he should be lead because I think Richard is the most talented they've had at guitar since Slash left...but I think Axl looks at Richard as more of a "izzy" in this band. He has the "Izzy feel" too. I think BBF is better than Robin as well, but I think Robin isn't that bad. I'm in the middle

I actually went to www.robinfinckfans.com/forum...and I must say, while I am not a big fan of the Finckster

that site is the biggest crock of shit I've ever seen in my entire life.

I'll tell you why he gets slated.

because he is the guy playing most of the leads in the band. he is the guy who replaced the former lead guitarist just months after his departure. he is the guitar icon of this band and the dislike stems from jealousy.

he has an amazing tone. his style is amazing, his stage presence is amazing. when this album hits, he is going to be huge. and that just kills the slash cupcakes.. so they bag on him.

he's my favorite guitarist. rock3

Icon? Oh yeah, I remember; he was ranked 23rd on the most iconic rock guitarists of the last 15 years.

After I have heard Chinese Democracy, my opinions toward Robin may change. At the moment, he's just another cover musician in a band that plays about 3-5 new songs on their tour.

Tell me when he creates something memorable in the eyes of the public, like say... the intros to Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City.

It really makes me laugh when all the morons here immediatley assume that just because someone doesn't like Robin, its because of Slash.

If it was because of Slash, then how come no one rips on Richard and Ron?

Truth is, Robin is shit.

But I'm trying to change my oppinions of him.

Im trying to see him through the eyes of people such as King Dick. But Its very hard to see when your head is so far up your ass...

If many Robin fans were guitar players (as I am) than they would realize Robin is just really not a very good guitar player. He is really just not what I, and alot of Gnr fans think should be playing those solos written by slash. The fact is, Finck has a real sloppy style of playing and is in no way even close to slash. If you really think that finck is "awsome" than I have no doubt in my mind that you're probably not a guitar player. If you were a guitar player, it would be easy to recognize that he just isn't very good. I'm looking to the other guitar players oin the forum to back me up here. Please excuse me if I'm rude, I'm hammered right now.

geez, you keep twisting my words.. I didn't say Brian May was called to fill Robin shoes at all.. just making a point that Axl was somewhat lost when Robin apparently abandoned the project.. so he had to bring someone new (Brian May, but could've been anyone!) to start from scratch and don't feel like he had lost everything he built up with Robin..

here, take a look to what Brian May said himself:

BM: ....Axl was feeling that he was in a difficult place because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album (is that Robin??) .....that'd done most of the tracks had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album .... because he'd disappeared, you know. So, he's sort of feeling a kind of divided loyalty and he said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell.

so yeah, Axl was put in a difficult situation with Robin's departure.. which is all I wanted to prove, not if he is better or worse than May or whoever you want to bring to the conversation to shift the subject

That's a good quote from May, and just proves my ORIGINAL point that Axl thought it was a GOOD thing Finck originally left. Thanks for posting. :)

Brian confirms that Axl wanted to ditch the stuff Robin had worked on and calls him in to work on material that Axl would actually like. Too bad Brian couldn't stick around longer, like another 6 years or so...

you keep missing the point, who is to say what he was hired for??? I'm sure whatever he was hired to do he has done it already and with excellent results, and the live configuration with 3 guitarists that share lead solos is what Axl wanted and no matter who the guitarists are, if they are capable or not, they would still share the lead cuz Axl seemingly doesn't want a lead guitarist position by default, not because Robin isn't up to par with what the job demands..

so to make it short, nor Ron nor Richard are doing his job, and you're forcing a stretch there to make that arrogant assumption.

Robin can do his job just fine, and he doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing or how..

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, because if you don't know why Finck was hired, then I really can't help you.

And you are making the arrogant assumption that Axl doesn't want a REAL lead guitarist for his band, just because it's set up that way.

No, Robin doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing and how, but then again, it certainly explains why he doesn't have a bunch of fans in the first place.

geez, you keep twisting my words.. I didn't say Brian May was called to fill Robin shoes at all.. just making a point that Axl was somewhat lost when Robin apparently abandoned the project.. so he had to bring someone new (Brian May, but could've been anyone!) to start from scratch and don't feel like he had lost everything he built up with Robin..

BM: ....Axl was feeling that he was in a difficult place because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album (is that Robin??) .....that'd done most of the tracks had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet he didn't want him on the album .... because he'd disappeared, you know. So, he's sort of feeling a kind of divided loyalty and he said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell.

so yeah, Axl was put in a difficult situation with Robin's departure.. which is all I wanted to prove, not if he is better or worse than May or whoever you want to bring to the conversation to shift the subject

That's a good quote from May, and just proves my ORIGINAL point that Axl thought it was a GOOD thing Finck originally left. Thanks for posting. :)

Brian confirms that Axl wanted to ditch the stuff Robin had worked on and calls him in to work on material that Axl would actually like. Too bad Brian couldn't stick around longer, like another 6 years or so...

you keep missing the point, who is to say what he was hired for??? I'm sure whatever he was hired to do he has done it already and with excellent results, and the live configuration with 3 guitarists that share lead solos is what Axl wanted and no matter who the guitarists are, if they are capable or not, they would still share the lead cuz Axl seemingly doesn't want a lead guitarist position by default, not because Robin isn't up to par with what the job demands..

so to make it short, nor Ron nor Richard are doing his job, and you're forcing a stretch there to make that arrogant assumption.

Robin can do his job just fine, and he doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing or how..

I'm going to assume that was a rhetorical question, because if you don't know why Finck was hired, then I really can't help you.

And you are making the arrogant assumption that Axl doesn't want a REAL lead guitarist for his band, just because it's set up that way.

No, Robin doesn't need a bunch of fans to tell him what he should be doing and how, but then again, it certainly explains why he doesn't have a bunch of fans in the first place.

Regarding the Finck/Brian May point...

What?!?!

He had to get Brian in to re-record Robin's parts because he had a "real emotional attachment to" and you got from that, he was glad he left?!! Are you that fucking stupid?!!

Also if you recall on the trunk interview that when they mentioned Brian was on the album Axl said "Brian is on the demo of a song, but I'm not sure if he'll be on the album we're still working on some things..."

I take that to mean, when Finck returned HIS guitar parts were used again. The only problem he had with Finck's parts being on the album wasn't that he didn't like them, but because he had left. Therefore, Axl probably prefers his guitar parts to Brian's if they're on the album instead?!!

So stop making stuff up and use your brain if you have one.

LP

Edited by Longpig

Robin doesn't get slated b/c he isn't Slash, he gets slated because he isn't that great at lead guitar.

He is NOWHERE close to being an icon, legend or anything close. Maybe one day far in the future he will be, but certainly not now. Icons are people like Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Perry, Richards, Slash, etc. Those guys are legends and deservedly so. Robin is not in that category.

Slash gets the respect from the guitar community . Thats all that needs to be said.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Slash has ZERO respect as a musician among other musicians. People think he's good and looks cool with that afro of his. But when it comes down to it, he's just a mediocre clone of past legends like Perry and Page. He's a copy-cat. The Carlos Santana of hard-rock.

Slash hasn't brought absolutely nothing that has changed or influenced the way people write music or play the guitar. Kurt Cobain was never "technically" as good as Slash, but he was able to change rock music with his simple but yet creative music.

Some of you folks don't seem to understand that Finck doesn't come from the Aerosmith or AC/DC background that Slash loves to emulate. The guy is a product of the alternative and industrial era. An era where musicians stride to be innovate and different. An era where people cared more about making innovative music then trying to sound like someone else.

Just imagine how hard it must have been for Axl to even get Finck, Stinson, Brain, and Buckethead to join GnR in the first place. None of these guys wanted to play the old stuff. Why? Was it too hard? Not likely. As Axl said, "These guys are musicians." They don't want to be a copy-cat like Slash and the old guys.

None of the guys in GnR right now had any respect for the old GnR. None whatsover. They've never even owned a GnR record before. So, just imagine if you had to learn to play the parts to the music you had no respect for. But they did it anyways. They did it because they believed in Axl's vision for GnR. They believed in the music that they were making with GnR. They believed that their version of GnR will actually make music that people respect artistically. So, it was a sacrifice they all had to make. A sacrifice to win the hearts of the old GnR fans.

wow, please put the crack pipe down.

That is just bullshit. Whether or not you like Slash, he is one of the most respected guitarists in the business, and one of the most influential.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

Regarding the Finck/Brian May point...

What?!?!

He had to get Brian in to re-record Robin's parts because he had a "real emotional attachment to" and you got from that, he was glad he left?!! Are you that fucking stupid?!!

Also if you recall on the trunk interview that when they mentioned Brian was on the album Axl said "Brian is on the demo of a song, but I'm not sure if he'll be on the album we're still working on some things..."

I take that to mean, when Finck returned HIS guitar parts were used again. The only problem he had with Finck's parts being on the album wasn't that he didn't like them, but because he had left. Therefore, Axl probably prefers his guitar parts to Brian's if they're on the album instead?!!

So stop making stuff up and use your brain if you have one.

LP

No, I'm not that fucking stupid, but it's nice of you to ask instead of just assuming it.

You can interpret the statement however YOU want. Fact is, Axl felt Robin couldn't handle the guitar parts on some of those songs, and when he left he thought it was a good thing. That's not me making stuff up, that's what happened and came from Axl himself. "...it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step further, that had he (Robin) been here it's not something that would have been considered..." He had an emotional attachment to the material, not to fucking Robin. There's a difference. Whether those songs were re-recorded or just thrown in the garbage, you nor I have any idea.

As far as the intellectual reference to my brain, I'm guessing it was easier for you to tell me to use mine, than for you to actually try and use your own.

Whether or not you like Slash, he is one of the most respected guitarists in the business, and one of the most influential.

You're right ... Slash is respected in the "business" world. He is probably the most "sellable" rock guitarist today. Oh, there's no doubt about that. He's got that cool look with his afro that appeals to a lot people. He's got that cool look when he's on stage. He's like that hot girl you see in ads.

Face it: Slash is a MAINSTREAM POP rock guitarist!

Why is it, guitarist like, Joe Sat or Bumblefoot, aren't commercially appealling to the mainstream, but are like a million times more talented then Slash? Why was it that Buckethead got more mainstream media publicity then any other new GnR guitarist? Obviously, being respected in the "business" has more to do with your look and image then it is with your talent. Just ask Britney Spears ...

Why is it that Izzy, the more influential guitarist and song writer of old GnR's hits, doesn't get more media, fan fare, or mainstream attention then Slash?

If you shave Slash's head, put on modern clothes on the guy, and take away all those tatoos and earrings, he wouldn't be as cool anymore. He would be just like Izzy (but not as talented as a song writer though).

Slash left GnR because he was unwilling to share the "spotlight" with other guitarists. Slash is a business man, he knows that his value and "image" will deteriorate if he had to share the stage with guys like Zakk Wilde or Buckethead. Zakk totally owned Slash when they performed Hendrix's Voodoo Child together. So when Axl asked Slash to work with these more talented guitarists, he got scared and ran. It was a business decision.

There are a million guitarist more talented then Slash. But they aren't "cool" looking. Slash is "cool" looking. If music could only be heard through the radio or CD player, no TV, internet, or magazines, you Slash fans wouldn't be popping a boner everytime you see him.

Now, Finck plays more of the leads in the old songs, well, because he's the one that's been with Axl and writing with Axl since the beginning of the Chinese Democracy era. Finck is the main guitarist for the new material. So, if you are Axl, why would you put the main guitarist of your new material in the background? That would be disrespectful. Oh, you don't play like an 80's rocker, so we'll stick you to rhythm on the old material, and once the new material comes out, you can come out and play lead again. That's stupid from all levels.

Finck gets slated more because he isn't as "cool" as Slash is in his presence and look for the traditional fans of GnR. Fortus and Bumblefoot have a look that's closer in line with that of the old GnR, so that aren't bashed as much. Finck had an "unconventional" look to him when he first joined. And these old school rockers and Slash lovers slate him because of his "image". Just imagine what how badly Slash would be slated if he joined NIN ...

Some people don't even know how Axl and Finck met. When Axl was looking for another guitarist, Matt Sorum took Axl to see him play in Cirque de Soleil. Matt thought Finck would be a good fit with Slash. Kind of like that other guitarist in VR. A young innovative guitarist to complement Slash's old rocker style. That's what Matt thought. Axl thought differently. Axl knew right there and then, he wanted Finck to replace Slash.

So for all you suckas out there, blame Matt if you don't like Finck!!!!

Slash at his MAINSTREAM best selling out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEGU-yaUO3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFYm7_SE0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGAnCPyJso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhg_t3YJwQI

"Slash is about money and fame." ~ Izzy Stradlin

Maybe it's a good thing Finck ain't like Slash.

Edited by Anti

Yes, I'm sure the man who wrote some of the best riffs/solos in the business is scared of Finck etc. :rolleyes:

The reason Slash is so "mainstream" is because of his soulful playing and the passion he puts into his music. It appeals to people who enjoy different types of music, not just fans of hard rock. But orig Guns in general was mainstream, thanks to SCOM.

As far as why he gets more media? Because people are moved by his playing. And he epitomized what Guns used to be about, as all the original guys did.

Izzy was not an influential guitarist--he was much more influential as a writer.

Finck is horrible at lead on the old songs. Richard or Bumble should be the ones doing them.

And Slash does not have an afro. Jimi Hendrix had an afro. Slash just has curly hair.

Whether or not you like Slash, he is one of the most respected guitarists in the business, and one of the most influential.

You're right ... Slash is respected in the "business" world. He is probably the most "sellable" rock guitarist today. Oh, there's no doubt about that. He's got that cool look with his afro that appeals to a lot people. He's got that cool look when he's on stage. He's like that hot girl you see in ads.

Face it: Slash is a MAINSTREAM POP rock guitarist!

Why is it, guitarist like, Joe Sat or Bumblefoot, aren't commercially appealling to the mainstream, but are like a million times more talented then Slash? Why was it that Buckethead got more mainstream media publicity then any other new GnR guitarist? Obviously, being respected in the "business" has more to do with your look and image then it is with your talent. Just ask Britney Spears ...

Why is it that Izzy, the more influential guitarist and song writer of old GnR's hits, doesn't get more media, fan fare, or mainstream attention then Slash?

If you shave Slash's head, put on modern clothes on the guy, and take away all those tatoos and earrings, he wouldn't be as cool anymore. He would be just like Izzy (but not as talented as a song writer though).

Slash left GnR because he was unwilling to share the "spotlight" with other guitarists. Slash is a business man, he knows that his value and "image" will deteriorate if he had to share the stage with guys like Zakk Wilde or Buckethead. Zakk totally owned Slash when they performed Hendrix's Voodoo Child together. So when Axl asked Slash to work with these more talented guitarists, he got scared and ran. It was a business decision.

There are a million guitarist more talented then Slash. But they aren't "cool" looking. Slash is "cool" looking. If music could only be heard through the radio or CD player, no TV, internet, or magazines, you Slash fans wouldn't be popping a boner everytime you see him.

Now, Finck plays more of the leads in the old songs, well, because he's the one that's been with Axl and writing with Axl since the beginning of the Chinese Democracy era. Finck is the main guitarist for the new material. So, if you are Axl, why would you put the main guitarist of your new material in the background? That would be disrespectful. Oh, you don't play like an 80's rocker, so we'll stick you to rhythm on the old material, and once the new material comes out, you can come out and play lead again. That's stupid from all levels.

Finck gets slated more because he isn't as "cool" as Slash is in his presence and look for the traditional fans of GnR. Fortus and Bumblefoot have a look that's closer in line with that of the old GnR, so that aren't bashed as much. Finck had an "unconventional" look to him when he first joined. And these old school rockers and Slash lovers slate him because of his "image". Just imagine what how badly Slash would be slated if he joined NIN ...

Some people don't even know how Axl and Finck met. When Axl was looking for another guitarist, Matt Sorum took Axl to see him play in Cirque de Soleil. Matt thought Finck would be a good fit with Slash. Kind of like that other guitarist in VR. A young innovative guitarist to complement Slash's old rocker style. That's what Matt thought. Axl thought differently. Axl knew right there and then, he wanted Finck to replace Slash.

So for all you suckas out there, blame Matt if you don't like Finck!!!!

Slash at his MAINSTREAM best selling out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEGU-yaUO3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFYm7_SE0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWGAnCPyJso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhg_t3YJwQI

"Slash is about money and fame." ~ Izzy Stradlin

SLASH IS THE COOLEST :shades:

Do you have any links of Robin playing with the circus?

Why is it, guitarist like, Joe Sat or Bumblefoot, aren't commercially appealling to the mainstream, but are like a million times more talented then Slash?

Because guitarist like Bumblefoot and Satch don't bather to play good music only thing they practise is

speed and technique. Yeah, maybe they can play faster and has better vibrato, bends etc.

But show me where Bumblefoot or Satch made a riff or a solo like SCOM.

Hah, try to get your head out of your ass.

There are not millions of guitarist who are better TECHNICAL than Slash but it is PLENTY.

But being a guitarist isnt just about technics and speed. Is about having your own style,

its about making something thats SOUNDS good, not something thats just difficult to play.

Jimi Hendrix wasnt the fastes guitarist or didnt have the best technique, but damn he could

play something that sounded cool

Yeah, Finck won't never get NEAR where Slash is.

On the top!

Edited by Raw Power