Best singer

Roses

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm really digging geoff tate of queensryche lately - the vocal work on operation:mindcrime is incredible and so freaking clean

He's amazingly great on that album mate. Have you heard Operation: Mindcrime 2 yet? He sounds very different but still absolutely outstanding vocals from him

No one can match Jeff Buckley in terms of range, power and versatility. What other singer could carry off the scream at the end of Grace or the sheer choir boy beauty of Corpus christi carol? Freddie Mercury and Ray Charles are of course amazing also and Van Morrison is a really powerfull underrated singer.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
No one can match Jeff Buckley in terms of range, power and versatility. What other singer could carry off the scream at the end of Grace or the sheer choir boy beauty of Corpus christi carol? Freddie Mercury and Ray Charles are of course amazing also and Van Morrison is a really powerfull underrated singer.

Variation?!? Oh my god...

Ray was amazing, I heard some stuff from him that was pretty impressive the other day.

The best voice in the history of music is from Freddie Mercury..he was really a fantastic singer,in every Queen or solo song.

Nowadays,Chris Cornell has the most powerfull voice.

nowadays he's a shadow of the voice he once was

i like shannon hoons voice and perry ferrell as far as rock goes...

but i really dig the tenor on Ca Ira he's awesome and they use his voice sparsely which makes it all that much better...

i still hold that robert plant circa 1970 had the best scream and freddie goes without saying

Edited by stevGNR666

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

James Blunt

Don't even joke about that. :no: His voice is so whiney!

At the moment, I'm appreciating that deep "soulfulness" found in some voices - the one enhanced by either a natural rasp, growl or breathy tone - so I'll say Leonard Cohen, Sam Brown and Nick Cave.

Damn woman, why don't you just listen to Soul then?

i'm really digging geoff tate of queensryche lately - the vocal work on operation:mindcrime is incredible and so freaking clean

He's amazingly great on that album mate. Have you heard Operation: Mindcrime 2 yet? He sounds very different but still absolutely outstanding vocals from him

Both are damn good albums. he's a brilliant singer.

Seb Bach

King Diamond

Russell Allen

James LaBrie

Mille Petrozza

Niklas Isfeldt

E. Presley*

S. Perry (Journey)

P. Rodgers (Bad Co.)

R. Plant (Zep)

Axl (GNR)

*Elvis Presley was a baritone whose voice had an extraordinary compass — the so-called register — and a very wide range of vocal color. It covered two octaves and a third, from the baritone low-G to the tenor high B, with an upward extension in falsetto to at least a D flat. Presley's best octave was in the middle, D-flat to D-flat. In ballads and country songs he was able to belt out full-voiced high Gs and As, showing a remarkable ability to naturally assimilate styles.

Presley's range, though impressive in its own right, did not in itself make his voice that remarkable, at least in terms of how it measured against musical notation. What made it extraordinary, was where its center of gravity lay. By that measure, and according to Gregory Sandows, Music Professor at Columbia University, Presley was at once a bass, a baritone, and a tenor, most unusual among singers in either classical or popular music.

I don't mean who is your favourite singer, but who has the voice you most appreciate listening to?

Aren't they the same?

Anyway. My fav is Alice Cooper, with John Lennon close behind.

I also like Bob Dylan a lot. Fuck technicality (sp?). If I like how it sounds, it's good enough for me.

I don't mean who is your favourite singer, but who has the voice you most appreciate listening to?

Aren't they the same?

Anyway. My fav is Alice Cooper, with John Lennon close behind.

I also like Bob Dylan a lot. Fuck technicality (sp?). If I like how it sounds, it's good enough for me.

Not necessarily. If we're distinguishing between voice and an individual...like Dylan maybe, a lot of people may praise him as a singer-songwriter but his actual voice grates quite harshly. :laugh:

I like voices with alot of power and depth.

John Fogerty, Howlin Wolf, Greg Allman, Bruce Springsteen.

I really have come to dislike the singers of 80's bands, sure they could hit high notes, but their voices just sounds weak and thin, sorry Axl, you too.