Best singer

Roses

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Rotten!!!!!

:rofl-lol:

what?? :lol: im serious!!! i dont prescribe to the idea that holding notes etc is the yardstick of singing, i think music should be more about being orignal n fresh n how it jolts u into responding to it emotionally n for me, Ol' Uncle Rotten, lead singer of THE GREATEST band in the world, stop all internal dialogue, because it is true *leave me alone ok? u have tracei gunns, i have the sex pistols* :lol: is the bestest singer around :) when he newly came out, dylan was considered to have a shitty voice too y'know n he was the voice of a generation altho i prefer john lennon but thats a different story

Edited by frankwhite

At the moment, I'm appreciating that deep "soulfulness" found in some voices - the one enhanced by either a natural rasp, growl or breathy tone - so I'll say Leonard Cohen, Sam Brown and Nick Cave.

Damn woman, why don't you just listen to Soul then?

I don't know, really - I haven't listened to very much soul, so perhaps I'm wrong, but the voices rarely seem to include that gritty, occasionally growling quality I also like. :unsure: But lately I've also been falling in love with jazz and blues for some reason, and rediscovering that very old bluesy rock (even the dance fads :lol: ).

Edited by nameless_girl

I feel Chris Robinson is very underrated. He's phenomenal, far and away the best vocalist of the 90's IMO, all respect for Cornell and Layne Staley of course.

Just thinking about how amazing Jack Bruce is live too. Just listen to "Spoonful" on Wheels of Fire, the notes he hits are phenomenal!

I feel Chris Robinson is very underrated. He's phenomenal, far and away the best vocalist of the 90's IMO, all respect for Cornell and Layne Staley of course.

Just thinking about how amazing Jack Bruce is live too. Just listen to "Spoonful" on Wheels of Fire, the notes he hits are phenomenal!

Agreed on the Robinson (hence his being on my list). Anyone who doubts his greatness and puts Robert Plant on their list is hereby required to buy a copy of The Black Crowes' Live at the Greek with Jimmy Page. They do mostly LedZep tunes, and Robinson owns. He does, on some songs, a better job than Plant. I know I'll get flamed for saying that, but I stand by it.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

At the moment, I'm appreciating that deep "soulfulness" found in some voices - the one enhanced by either a natural rasp, growl or breathy tone - so I'll say Leonard Cohen, Sam Brown and Nick Cave.

I don't know, really - I haven't listened to very much soul, so perhaps I'm wrong, but the voices rarely seem to include that gritty, occasionally growling quality I also like. :unsure: But lately I've also been falling in love with jazz and blues for some reason, and rediscovering that very old bluesy rock (even the dance fads :lol: ).

Gritty is an adjective that's very often associated with Soul, growling not so much. But most of the greats did have rough voices, in fact the level of exertion took a toll on the health of many. Vocally, it's the most powerful genre, there's no doubt about that. As a singer myself, I can't really imagine duplicating the power that Otis Redding, James Carr, and others achieved with their voices.

Listen to Howlin' Wolf! He's a blues singer but his gritty singing is undeniably great. His voice is rasp to the max..

:unsure:

I respectfully disagree. Chris Robinson's voice can get rather whiny at times. It always seems a bit "sameish", with little variation from song to song.

He's a great singer - but Cornell and Staley are leagues ahead of Robinson. I definately don't rank him among the best.

Gritty is an adjective that's very often associated with Soul, growling not so much. But most of the greats did have rough voices, in fact the level of exertion took a toll on the health of many. Vocally, it's the most powerful genre, there's no doubt about that. As a singer myself, I can't really imagine duplicating the power that Otis Redding, James Carr, and others achieved with their voices.

I suppose you're right - I've never been into genres like soul that much until recently, so I wouldn't really know. :unsure: Although I've always had a fondness for gravelly vocalists and sultry melodies, so perhaps this is surprising. It's probably mainly because I'm quite picky, so I'm discouraged by having to explore a huge selection of music to find that special part of it that makes me tick, hence why I've always stuck with merely a narrow selection of music from lots of genres (not all, but still). I always say I'll explore these things, but I never get around to it. :rolleyes: The only thing like this I could be bothered with was jazz, but that's mainly because of my dance teacher. :lol:

Listen to Howlin' Wolf! He's a blues singer but his gritty singing is undeniably great. His voice is rasp to the max..

Okay. :heart: Actually, I always look at what you put down in these threads because I've discovered that I tend to like your picks. :lol:

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I understand fully, I rarely agree to get into anything merely because of a suggestion. I just don't have the time nor the money.

The Wolf can't be beat though. :)