New Sound Of Gn'R

Desilusioned

What I mean is that, for example: the early Guns N' Roses were known for the extraordinary guitar riffs and solos of Slash. The diversity of lyrics of of Axl and Izzy - unusual and crazy lyrics like Used to love her, Anything Goes, Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch, Double Talkin' Jive and really elaborated and beutifull lyrics like November Rain, Estranged, SCOM. And of course the old Gn'r sound was simply different from anything else back then!

I want to know what could be the ttype of sounf«d of this new era, i mean, could we expect songs like Get in the Ring, or Welcome to the Jungle...could we expect an impact like the one in 87 with Appetite?

I heard the blues and better in RIR Lisbon, and this songs sounded great to me..but I would be so fuckin excited to hear a song that nobody could expect like USed to love her , one in a million..etc etc!

I think Chinese Democracy will be more of ballads, and that's my biggest fear of the album is that there will be to many ballads on it, hope we'll see something like You Could be Mine or Rocket Queen but I would also love to hear some acoustic "funny" songs like Used to Love Her or something but I really doubt that, maybe the one after CD?

I think the sound is a little tighter, meaner and fuller than it used to be. I saw them in '92 at Foxboro Stadium and the whole gig, with the 976 Horns and whatnot, was bloated and slow-paced. It was almost boring compared to Metallica's set. Personally, I think the new incarnation blows the doors off the old band in concert.

I think the sound is a little tighter, meaner and fuller than it used to be. I saw them in '92 at Foxboro Stadium and the whole gig, with the 976 Horns and whatnot, was bloated and slow-paced. It was almost boring compared to Metallica's set. Personally, I think the new incarnation blows the doors off the old band in concert.

Amen.

Saw them at the Inland Invasion and they blew every other band away hands down. Ignore the feed that most of you watched, the sound was off compared to the acoustics of the venue and how it sounded in person. They were on fire.

As far as their new sound - agressive, complex song structure. But not the straight punk/rock of AFD. Also not the bloated self importance of UYI.

ALSO WHERE IS "JUST ANOTHER SUNDAY" FROM?

Edited by Avadine

I think it's a bit more keyboard based with not quite as much emphasis on guitar riffs. There are also the obvious electronic elements as well. The sound is definitely fuller with more complex arrangements.

It's Guns N Roses without the rock n roll. The spirit is still there but Axl leans towards Elton John piano ballads and then there's these Queen type structure songs like TWAT. Whereas before there was always a long ass solo now they seem to be short and they use Radiohead type beats. Like someone said above the lack of an all out rocker like You Could Be Mine might be a downside but on the upside Better is a great rock song. Basically what is missing is that true Fuck You attitude that GNR had. It's gone and that's a good thing really I suppose. I'm hoping Axl has really got the material and ton of it and has really explore his direction. Good songs so far though. Overall you would have to say the quality of the demos showed promise. Now it's all about record sales. Will Chinese D be the folly of a spoilt rock star or a masterpiece which will cement....whatever. I was hoping for new tracks as singles but I guess most folks havent heard of Better.

It's Guns N Roses without the rock n roll. The spirit is still there but Axl leans towards Elton John piano ballads and then there's these Queen type structure songs like TWAT. Whereas before there was always a long ass solo now they seem to be short and they use Radiohead type beats. Like someone said above the lack of an all out rocker like You Could Be Mine might be a downside but on the upside Better is a great rock song. Basically what is missing is that true Fuck You attitude that GNR had. It's gone and that's a good thing really I suppose. I'm hoping Axl has really got the material and ton of it and has really explore his direction. Good songs so far though. Overall you would have to say the quality of the demos showed promise. Now it's all about record sales. Will Chinese D be the folly of a spoilt rock star or a masterpiece which will cement....whatever. I was hoping for new tracks as singles but I guess most folks havent heard of Better.

I don't think it will be a folly or a masterpiece, but it will cement whatever. IMO a ton of people put too much stake in the demos as far as what's going to happen with the album. I think we can rest assured that we haven't heard jack at this point. Or don't know jack. Obviously I have no proof to substantiate it, but I don't think we've heard the big guns. My feeling on this stems partially from my optimistic attitude about the CD, and partially from my assumption that Axl and the others involved in the albums release know (WHAT THE FUCK) they are doing. It's just a hunch.

EDIT:

I am also acutely aware of how much weed 13 million could buy.

eltonjohnbackcq1.th.jpg

Edited by Ions

What I was trying to say is that the press will make it a folly or masterpiece depending on what it's like. It might really be too much to ask for it not to be a meh rather than a big deal at this point. People seem so unreceptive to TWAT and CITR that it's hard to know what will really please people at this point. To me without a triple album concept it will be easy to overlook the album however good it is. No release date is a masterstroke if you ask me - it will cause a stir when it comes out and it might just be what the record needs to be noticed. Obviously people are waiting on it but they need a story to tell others which isnt its coming out honestly. The new sound hopefully will just be a naturally progression but I don't expect anything mind blowing because so many artists are doing so much weird shit in the mainstream, not in rock but in rap and pop. Like the sounds on new albums are just so out there that Axl cant really surprise us in that way. It would be more shocking to release a record with no effects like a classic rock record. I think the truth might be that the demos were the big guns and the leaks were real leaks and they are the singles off the new album. Which most people havent heard. A lot of the internet fans have but thinking more average music fans havent.

What I was trying to say is that the press will make it a folly or masterpiece depending on what it's like. It might really be too much to ask for it not to be a meh rather than a big deal at this point. People seem so unreceptive to TWAT and CITR that it's hard to know what will really please people at this point. To me without a triple album concept it will be easy to overlook the album however good it is. No release date is a masterstroke if you ask me - it will cause a stir when it comes out and it might just be what the record needs to be noticed. Obviously people are waiting on it but they need a story to tell others which isnt its coming out honestly. The new sound hopefully will just be a naturally progression but I don't expect anything mind blowing because so many artists are doing so much weird shit in the mainstream, not in rock but in rap and pop. Like the sounds on new albums are just so out there that Axl cant really surprise us in that way. It would be more shocking to release a record with no effects like a classic rock record. I think the truth might be that the demos were the big guns and the leaks were real leaks and they are the singles off the new album. Which most people havent heard. A lot of the internet fans have but thinking more average music fans havent.

Well I hope you're wrong, but it's anyones guess. Don't forget that there is no definition for 'big gun'. The most commercially 'accessible' tracks don't necessarily constitute 'big guns'. Perhaps the 'radio friendly' tracks will get pushed as singles, but us hardcore fans will still get our epics. Anythings possible. And like I said, until it's released, I'm gonna stay optimistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKkNAWg718

Edited by Ions

I'm sort of beyond optimistic or pessimistic, to me it's all a bonus and an interesting situation. It is beyond the realms of fantasy that there is a GNR touring in the state it's in. Drop back to 1987 and think in 2006 this would be what was happening. I think they are the big guns because I don't see how they can do anything different and still be a single. It still has to be a song with the basic structure otherwise it's bargain basement time. So what could be bigger than a great Axl piano ballad with Brian May doing the solo? Is that not a big gun? But hope there are surprises for the fans which are more fully realised than Locomotive or My World which showed potential but seemed way behind what was going on in rock at the time. I think new new sound will be the best thing about the albums but maybe we wont be shocked by the songwriting. There will be ballads there will be rockers but maybe nothing which real tests the audiences ear that much. Better is a revelation in that it does sound like GNR while sounding completely fresh but it's not so far out in left field that people will say what the fuck. It's a single, whereas on the record there will probably be stuff which is like "Jesus fuckin' Chrsit!" - which is want I'm amped for but slightly disappointed that the new single isnt one of them. Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all.

I'm sort of beyond optimistic or pessimistic, to me it's all a bonus and an interesting situation. It is beyond the realms of fantasy that there is a GNR touring in the state it's in. Drop back to 1987 and think in 2006 this would be what was happening. I think they are the big guns because I don't see how they can do anything different and still be a single. It still has to be a song with the basic structure otherwise it's bargain basement time. So what could be bigger than a great Axl piano ballad with Brian May doing the solo? Is that not a big gun? But hope there are surprises for the fans which are more fully realised than Locomotive or My World which showed potential but seemed way behind what was going on in rock at the time. I think new new sound will be the best thing about the albums but maybe we wont be shocked by the songwriting. There will be ballads there will be rockers but maybe nothing which real tests the audiences ear that much. Better is a revelation in that it does sound like GNR while sounding completely fresh but it's not so far out in left field that people will say what the fuck. It's a single, whereas on the record there will probably be stuff which is like "Jesus fuckin' Chrsit!" - which is want I'm amped for but slightly disappointed that the new single isnt one of them. Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all.

LOL! Interesting. I guess all will be revealed very soon, if that's the word.

To take a risk on a completely un tested unleaked track for the single Axl would have to have one seriously piece of commercial rock burning a hole in his hard drive every night. What does that sound like? The sure fire single that will propel CD into the charts? It's a big question after 15 years. At least he's road tested the new tunes live and people have at least heard of them and might go a buy it if they know its out there and even get to love it enough to buy the album?

Better is the one.

To take a risk on a completely un tested unleaked track for the single Axl would have to have one seriously piece of commercial rock burning a hole in his hard drive every night. What does that sound like? The sure fire single that will propel CD into the charts? It's a big question after 15 years. At least he's road tested the new tunes live and people have at least heard of them and might go a buy it if they know its out there and even get to love it enough to buy the album?

Better is the one.

Now you're getting somewhere man! You've just about over-analyzed the situation back into the simple situation that it is! LOL! Because 'Better' is the first single, doesn't mean that we're not gonna get epic/heavy tracks on the CD - which I would consider the 'big guns'! I don't think that 'Better' necessarily sums up the "sound characteristics of this new Guns N Roses Era".

Edited by Ions

Now we're talking semantics and I'm on my fourth beer. I thought a big gun was like a Jungle or a Sweet Child or a Paradise or a November Rain NOT the little known piano ballad fans claim to like. But I can see what you're saying that maybe this time round Axl has to hide his real big guns behind a load of ass kissing radio rock. No I still think Better is the big gun. Ever read that comic Watchmen. There's a blatant ref to Big Guns in that. Who Watches the Watchmen?