Axl Rose rules!

shotdowninflames

Axl Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to psychoanalyze W. Axl Rose but I think as his fans we need to remember he's a huge rock star and a frontman. And most lead singers in rock bands are egotistical, selfish and difficult. Eddie Van Halen talked about "LSD (Lead Singer's Disease)" in dealing with David Lee Roth's massive ego and erratic behavior. I think Axl suffers from the same thing.

The only difference is since 1996 (when Slash left) he's had not one to keep his ego in check. Axl is filthy rich, owns the name to one of the biggest rock acts in history and most important of all, is world famous. Celebrity is like a drug. And Axl is hopelessly addicted to it.

Ignoring his occasional off the cuff comments to the press & vague management press releases, when you look at Axl's actions (not words) it's easy to see what his "modus operandi" is: Pussy, partying, money and... music. (And exactly in that order).

Since January, he's done nothing but go to gatherings with other famous people, get drunk off $1,000 bottles of chamagne, fly around in his private plane, eat gourmet dinners, get manicured, have sex with one gorgeous model after another, get in fights, play to millions of screaming fans in arenas and collect huge paychecks for playing festivals.

Not a bad life eh? And what does he have to do in order to mainstain this lifestyle? Nothing much besides show up late for concerts (when he's not rescheduling or cancelling them) and sing a bunch of songs from an album he recorded 18 years ago. And it's not like that's really difficult. Especially when you get to run back stage during every guitar solo and instrumental to use your oxygen mask, do a shot or get a quick blowjob from your celebirty girlfriend. All said and done it's 2 1/2 hours and then you get to go get drunk, dance, have an orgy & get your braids done.

Axl Rose, like a lot of aging rock stars, is driven by vanity and money. I mean, why is Mick Jagger still touring and torturing his body to look like he's still young? He doesn't need the money. At a point it stops being about being an artist. That's why Axl doesn't want to release his new music. The response to every new song he's played since 1998 has been mixed. And the crowd doesn't want to hear new material. He knows where his bread and butter is. And it's not in playing "Chinese Democracy" in it's entirety.

And if 1, 2 or all of his band mates quit, who cares? He can afford to just bring someone else in. Everyone's only focusing on Axl at the shows now anyway. And no matter who leaves, he can still call what he does "Guns N Roses."

Axl isn't gonna change unless he has to. The only reason he's touring and even thinking about releasing his album is because he needs more money. If not he won't be able to buy the expensive paintings and sports cars he wants. And he wouldn't be attracting beautiful models if he wasn't a working rock star. (Groupies aren't attracted to reclusive milionaires holded up in their mansions getting fat & crazier).

So if you really want to change Axl Rose stop buying tickets to his shows. Stop paying $100 of your hard earned money to see his GnR tribute band. Because as long as he's able to tour arenas and get rave reviews from critics & fans he's never gonna think there's a problem.

If not you're going to just have to accept this is the way it is & that it's been this way since 2001. The same set list, more album delays & continuing to be kept in the dark by Axl and deceived by his management. And very likely it's going to keep going on this way for many, many years until Axl drops dead or people stop coming to the shows.

It's frustrating as hell but there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Except take our anger out on each other on these message boards. I guarantee Axl isn't losing a minute's sleep over our unhappiness with his actions. So we shouldn't waste energy (or money) on him either.

Later dudes!

Shot Down In Flames

Edited by madison

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl Rose, like a lot of aging rock stars, is driven by vanity and money. I mean, why is Mick Jagger still touring and torturing his body to look like he's still young?

Come on, he is only 44, not 68 like Mick!

So if you really want to change Axl Rose stop buying tickets to his shows. Stop paying $100 of your hard earned money to see his GnR tribute band.

Ok, if a show takes place in your city don't go but I definitely won't miss it!

I think you're confusing the frontman of Guns N' Roses with an ex-member who likes to wear top hats.

Sure Axl likes to fuck, drink, smoke, party and buy expensive shit. Who the fuck doesn't? However, if this was his primary motivation he would have released an album years ago and cashed in when he was still something in the eye of the public. Do you spend 15 years on a record if you want to make money? Or do you release 5 records in the same period and make twice or triple as much?

Axl enjoys the perks like everybody else, but what ultimately drives him is the need to be loved and repsected, to be great. If you actually had studied a little psychology you would have come to the same conclusion.

If CD doesnt come out this year like merck and axl said.. then the only way we'll get Chinese Democracy album is if we break into sanctuary or something. jackamo, you can do it... just believe...

polluxlm, you're exactly right. He could have released a crap load of shitty records like Contraband years ago with the new guys, but no, hes worked on a LOT of songs, has 3 albums worth of material almost done, and yadda yada yada.

Edited by dark_future

Not to psychoanalyze W. Axl Rose but I think as his fans we need to remember he's a huge rock star and a frontman. And most lead singers in rock bands are egotistical, selfish and difficult. Eddie Van Halen talked about "LSD (Lead Singer's Disease)" in dealing with David Lee Roth's massive ego and erratic behavior. I think Axl suffers from the same thing.

The only difference is since 1996 (when Slash left) he's had not one to keep his ego in check. Axl is filthy rich, owns the name to one of the biggest rock acts in history and most important of all, is world famous. Celebrity is like a drug. And Axl is hopelessly addicted to it.

Ignoring his occasional off the cuff comments to the press & vague management press releases, when you look at Axl's actions (not words) it's easy to see what his "modus operandi" is: Pussy, partying, money and... music. (And exactly in that order).

Since January, he's done nothing but go to gatherings with other famous people, get drunk off $1,000 bottles of chamagne, fly around in his private plane, eat gourmet dinners, get manicured, have sex with one gorgeous model after another, get in fights, play to millions of screaming fans in arenas and collect huge paychecks for playing festivals.

Not a bad life eh? And what does he have to do in order to mainstain this lifestyle? Nothing much besides show up late for concerts (when he's not rescheduling or cancelling them) and sing a bunch of songs from an album he recorded 18 years ago. And it's not like that's really difficult. Especially when you get to run back stage during every guitar solo and instrumental to use your oxygen mask, do a shot or get a quick blowjob from your celebirty girlfriend. All said and done it's 2 1/2 hours and then you get to go get drunk, dance, have an orgy & get your braids done.

Axl Rose, like a lot of aging rock stars, is driven by vanity and money. I mean, why is Mick Jagger still touring and torturing his body to look like he's still young? He doesn't need the money. At a point it stops being about being an artist. That's why Axl doesn't want to release his new music. The response to every new song he's played since 1998 has been mixed. And the crowd doesn't want to hear new material. He knows where his bread and butter is. And it's not in playing "Chinese Democracy" in it's entirety.

And if 1, 2 or all of his band mates quit, who cares? He can afford to just bring someone else in. Everyone's only focusing on Axl at the shows now anyway. And no matter who leaves, he can still call what he does "Guns N Roses."

Axl isn't gonna change unless he has to. The only reason he's touring and even thinking about releasing his album is because he needs more money. If not he won't be able to buy the expensive paintings and sports cars he wants. And he wouldn't be attracting beautiful models if he wasn't a working rock star. (Groupies aren't attracted to reclusive milionaires holded up in their mansions getting fat & crazier).

So if you really want to change Axl Rose stop buying tickets to his shows. Stop paying $100 of your hard earned money to see his GnR tribute band. Because as long as he's able to tour arenas and get rave reviews from critics & fans he's never gonna think there's a problem.

If not you're going to just have to accept this is the way it is & that it's been this way since 2001. The same set list, more album delays & continuing to be kept in the dark by Axl and deceived by his management. And very likely it's going to keep going on this way for many, many years until Axl drops dead or people stop coming to the shows.

It's frustrating as hell but there's not a whole lot we can do about it. Except take our anger out on each other on these message boards. I guarantee Axl isn't losing a minute's sleep over our unhappiness with his actions. So we shouldn't waste energy (or money) on him either.

I agree with it all except the part about wasting money on him. I spent my money on me. I dont care what he does with it, he could buy more Champagne, who cares, I got what I wanted and I hope my son gets in on Derc 15th. Damn dude, you type too long I think???

Edited by Gunzen

Hard to argue. I'd like to think it's as much about the music as it once was. And maybe it still is...the album will likely be out in the next couple of months and I want to hear that first before I judge. That's only fair.

I am getting increasingly disillusioned however with Axl's behaviour, which is in stark contrast to the way he has been in the past. Dressing up in flashy suits and jewelery, going to parties, hanging out with other celebrities, posing for pictures. This isn't the Axl Rose we once knew. People will say that everyone has to change, but change GN'R too much and it just isn't GN'R anymore. And no, I'm not talking about Slash and Duff being gone (although you could certainly apply the same line of thinking to the band itself).

I have this interview with Axl (Famous Last Words) talking about the Illusions back in 1990. He was so totally focused on the music back then. It's ashame we don't get the same sort of talk from him surrounding Chi Dem now. But maybe this is just the way it goes. Young bands need to make their mark and so they are bound to be more focused on their craft. They need to work that much harder, especially back in GN'R's day when the key was landing a record deal. I'm not saying Axl hasn't worked hard on the album. Sure he has. But I think it's been in spurts (this was touched upon in that NYT article last year) - one of the main reasons IMO for the long wait.

Yeah I know, Axl can act however he wants. That's not the point. Hopefully nobody comes at me with that tired line because then why even bother having a forum to discuss the band at all?

Edited by KBear

I think you're confusing the frontman of Guns N' Roses with an ex-member who likes to wear top hats.

Sure Axl likes to fuck, drink, smoke, party and buy expensive shit. Who the fuck doesn't? However, if this was his primary motivation he would have released an album years ago and cashed in when he was still something in the eye of the public. Do you spend 15 years on a record if you want to make money? Or do you release 5 records in the same period and make twice or triple as much?

Axl enjoys the perks like everybody else, but what ultimately drives him is the need to be loved and repsected, to be great. If you actually had studied a little psychology you would have come to the same conclusion.

Social psychology is my minor in university. You have a great point there, If Axl really cared about the money that much, he would have himself in advertisements, promotions, and the whole shabang. I saw this guy wearing a top hat in a

and a shitty car commercial the other day...

And furthermore, the only commercial I have seen regarding Axl and GNR is a cool Harley commercial that contains new music rather than Axl...

A8R

Edited by allen8r

Hard to argue. I'd like to think it's as much about the music as it once was. And maybe it still is...the album will likely be out in the next couple of months and I want to hear that first before I judge. That's only fair.

I am getting increasingly disillusioned however with Axl's behaviour, which is in stark contrast to the way he has been in the past. Dressing up in flashy suits and jewelery, going to parties, hanging out with other celebrities, posing for pictures. This isn't the Axl Rose we once knew. People will say that everyone has to change, but change GN'R too much and it just isn't GN'R anymore. And no, I'm not talking about Slash and Duff being gone (although you could certainly apply the same line of thinking to the band itself).

I have this interview with Axl (Famous Last Words) talking about the Illusions back in 1990. He was so totally focused on the music back then. It's ashame we don't get the same sort of talk from him surrounding Chi Dem now. But maybe this is just the way it goes. Young bands need to make their mark and so they are bound to be more focused on their craft. They need to work that much harder, especially back in GN'R's day when the key was landing a record deal. I'm not saying Axl hasn't worked hard on the album. Sure he has. But I think it's been in spurts (this was touched upon in that NYT article last year) - one of the main reasons IMO for the long wait.

Yeah I know, Axl can act however he wants. That's not the point. Hopefully nobody comes at me with that tired line because then why even bother having a forum to discuss the band at all?

I am guessing you prefer the tight white bike shorts and feather wraps then? Hmmm, give me the Marboro Man look anyday. rock1

Good post, but I will say that the biggest reason for him delaying the release is that he is AFRAID. He's afraid that it won't sell well, he's afraid that it will be panned critically, and he's afraid that it'll be panned by even die-hard fans. AFD and UYI are his cash cow at the moment. Whereas he once claimed that he didn't want to live off of AFD (during the making of UYI), that opinion seems to have changed quite a bit. I definitely think he's mostly just afraid that the MAJOR differences in the style of music will keep the public from enjoying CD. GN'R are no longer a hard rock band, at least not if we're going by the majority of the new songs we've heard ("Madagascar," "TWAT," "The Blues," and "CITR"). I think he's very self-conscious of how the album will be received, and thus I think an argument about him not giving a shit about the music is a dumb one. If he really didn't give a rat's ass, he would have released it long ago. But he cares too much about the public's opinion of it, and more importantly the public's opinion of HIM.

W. Axl Rose is, after all these years, just as paranoid as the song "Out Ta Get Me" indicated 19 years ago.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Good post, but I will say that the biggest reason for him delaying the release is that he is AFRAID. He's afraid that it won't sell well, he's afraid that it will be panned critically, and he's afraid that it'll be panned by even die-hard fans. AFD and UYI are his cash cow at the moment. Whereas he once claimed that he didn't want to live off of AFD (during the making of UYI), that opinion seems to have changed quite a bit. I definitely think he's mostly just afraid that the MAJOR differences in the style of music will keep the public from enjoying CD. GN'R are no longer a hard rock band, at least not if we're going by the majority of the new songs we've heard ("Madagascar," "TWAT," "The Blues," and "CITR"). I think he's very self-conscious of how the album will be received, and thus I think an argument about him not giving a shit about the music is a dumb one. If he really didn't give a rat's ass, he would have released it long ago. But he cares too much about the public's opinion of it, and more importantly the public's opinion of HIM.

W. Axl Rose is, after all these years, just as paranoid as the song "Out Ta Get Me" indicated 19 years ago.

Sorry about my original post being so long. (Takes me a while when trying to figure out Axl)

As far as Axl's phobia of releasing his new music. I'm not sure if its due to perfectionism, writer's block, fear of criticism, ego or all of the above.

I mean, this is a guy who said he felt "rushed" to release Use Your Illusion and that the albums suffered because of it. Both those albums took over a year to make and I don't think anybody would say they sound rushed (if anything 'overproduced' and with too much filler). Who knows maybe Axl would still be working on UYI if Slash hadn't helped him finish them.

And I do think Axl needs outside collaborators and has run into some type of writer's block since Guns N Roses first made it big. Most of the classic songs on UYI were written before Axl got famous.

As for as pop psychology, I don't think Axl's changed too much since 1991. He was partying, dating supermodels and treating his fans badly back then too. And flying around on private jets and making his fans wait. The only thing that's changed is that Slash is no longer by his side to help share some of the criticism.

Sorry about my original post being so long. (Takes me a while when trying to figure out Axl)

As far as Axl's phobia of releasing his new music. I'm not sure if its due to perfectionism, writer's block, fear of criticism, ego or all of the above.

I mean, this is a guy who said he felt "rushed" to release Use Your Illusion and that the albums suffered because of it. Both those albums took over a year to make and I don't think anybody would say they sound rushed (if anything 'overproduced' and with too much filler). Who knows maybe Axl would still be working on UYI if Slash hadn't helped him finish them.

And I do think Axl needs outside collaborators and has run into some type of writer's block since Guns N Roses first made it big. Most of the classic songs on UYI were written before Axl got famous.

As for as pop psychology, I don't think Axl's changed too much since 1991. He was partying, dating supermodels and treating his fans badly back then too. And flying around on private jets and making his fans wait. The only thing that's changed is that Slash is no longer by his side to help share some of the criticism.

Hey man, don't feel ashamed about writing long posts. We've all done it before and there's nothing wrong with it. You made a lot of good points in there. I think it's a combination of all the things we've discussed in this thread. There's not really any one thing about Axl that makes him the way he is, but one thing is certain. He's legendary in terms of fucking over his fans. LOL.

Social psychology is my minor in university. You have a great point there, If Axl really cared about the money that much, he would have himself in advertisements, promotions, and the whole shabang. I saw this guy wearing a top hat in a

And furthermore, the only commercial I have seen regarding Axl and GNR is a cool Harley commercial that contains new music rather than Axl...

A8R

Slash can do commercials if he wants. These attacks against him are just lame. Do they impact his writing? No, which means he's not selling out. If he's not selling out then who the hell cares? Despite commercials and guest appearances, which Slash has every right to do, he has stayed true to his roots. I respect that. Axl hasn't, but Axl wants to evolve more than Slash does. I respect that too, even though what we've heard so far isn't exactly a major evolution. And on stage it appears that Axl has decided to come back to his roots somewhat.

Slash is a lot more marketable than Axl anyhow. Axl would never get the offers that Slash does so it probably makes the whole discussion moot. Instead Axl does stuff like GTA. That was cool. Axl also put SCOM in Big Daddy. Not very cool at all. Have you ever seen this LAME movie before? But Axl doesn't care about money so I'm sure he did this for free. LOL

To say Axl doesn't care about money is silly. Look how the guy lives. He just obviously has enough of it to maintain that lifestyle. Hmm, didn't Sanctuary pay him like $20 million for his say on the back catalogue maybe one year ago or so? Gee, wonder if he's burning through some of that right now. $20 million - kinda reduces the need to do commercials. Apparently Slash would rather do commercials and guest spots than give up his publishing rights to the old songs, even though that would surely provide a much higher windfall than the odd commercial here and there. Frankly I would make the same decision if I were in his shoes.

Edited by KBear

Hey man, don't feel ashamed about writing long posts. We've all done it before and there's nothing wrong with it. You made a lot of good points in there. I think it's a combination of all the things we've discussed in this thread. There's not really any one thing about Axl that makes him the way he is, but one thing is certain. He's legendary in terms of fucking over his fans. LOL.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think a lot of rock stars drive there fans crazy. And fans always complain about artists they like. Not everyone's gonna like the same songs or set list. Over at the official KISS message board (before they took it down) fans were constantly bitching about them using the same set list for five years straight. And believe it or not the band actually listened and played a totally different set in 2004.

That's the problem with the "love it or leave it" mentality that's emerged with Guns N Roses fans. There's always gonna be differences of opinion about Guns N Roses and especially Axl. But that's just frowned upon here.

But I think a lot of that could be cleared up by two things:

Axl releasing "Chinese Democracy" and changing the concert set list.

That way his fans could stop attacking each other personally and debate which songs are better on the new album. And how they like the new show.

If not, Guns N Roses might end up like Steppenwolf. Playing state fairs. :(

A8R

Slash can do commercials if he wants. These attacks against him are just lame. Do they impact his writing? No, which means he's not selling out. If he's not selling out then who the hell cares? Despite commercials and guest appearances, which Slash has every right to do, he has stayed true to his roots. I respect that. Axl hasn't, but Axl wants to evolve more than Slash does. I respect that too, even though what we've heard so far isn't exactly a major evolution. And on stage it appears that Axl has decided to come back to his roots somewhat.

Slash is a lot more marketable than Axl anyhow. Axl would never get the offers that Slash does so it probably makes the whole discussion moot. Instead Axl does stuff like GTA. That was cool. Axl also put SCOM in Big Daddy. Not very cool at all. Have you ever seen this LAME movie before? But Axl doesn't care about money so I'm sure he did this for free. LOL

To say Axl doesn't care about money is silly. Look how the guy lives. He just obviously has enough of it to maintain that lifestyle. Hmm, didn't Sanctuary pay him like $20 million for his say on the back catalogue maybe one year ago or so? Gee, wonder if he's burning through some of that right now. $20 million - kinda reduces the need to do commercials. Apparently Slash would rather do commercials and guest spots than give up his publishing rights to the old songs, even though that would surely provide a much higher windfall than the odd commercial here and there. Frankly I would make the same decision if I were in his shoes.

Actually, didn't Slash sign over publishing rights to GN'R when he gave the name to Axl years and years ago? The old members have ROYALTY rights, just like Axl, but they haven't had publishing rights in probably 15 years.

the only thing i want .. well "change" about Rose, is the look, let the hair out, and shave god dammit

He did shave, and he looked HORRIBLE at Inland Invasion.

well at least he didnt look like a jamaican chuck norris. just admit it, the whole go-t thing is definently not very rock star like on axl. Edited by Paradise City Man

the only thing i want .. well "change" about Rose, is the look, let the hair out, and shave god dammit

well at least he didnt look like a jamakian chuck norris

jamakian? I'm pretty sure that is NOT a word.

oh my god... Jamaica!! THE CORN ROWS! srry spelt wrong. Edited by Paradise City Man

well at least he didnt look like a jamakian chuck norris

jamakian? I'm pretty sure that is NOT a word.

oh my god... Jamaica!! THE CORN ROWS! srry spelt wrong.

Even with Jamaican braids, he looks better with a goatee than he does shaved. Just look at how awful he is shaved:

281x211.jpg

I actually think he looks better with the braids and goatee than he did with the normal hair and shaved face back in 2001 at Rock in Rio. A big part of that was he was fatter back then, and now he's dressed much better with the leather jackets, jeans, etc.

This dude makes a great point. A point we've all heard before, but a good one nonetheless. Axl and the entire Axl n' Roses band need to shit or get off the pot. People are getting sick of his bullshit, as this thread suggests.

Also, I'm not sure who wrote this but it's dead on correct:

"W. Axl Rose is, after all these years, just as paranoid as the song "Out Ta Get Me" indicated 19 years ago."