Eric Clapton is the greatest guitarist of all time

adnan

Time for another thread.

I want some serious debate going here. If you're going to respond by saying "Clapton sux haha omgz!!11!!!!l" or even "Bullshit, Hendrix was better", simply don't bother replying. If you're going to debate me on this, at least do a good job of it and give me an argument. I don't mind if you give your opinion on it, but if you want to actually debate me instead of just giving your opinion, please don't just insult Clapton to get your point across.

What can you say about Eric? His name was all across London in Grafitti at age 19, his first true band was the Yardbirds, he played uncredited on the Beatles' White Album and a lot of George Harrison's solo work, he was a founding member of Cream, who can only be named as equals to the Beatles, the Stones, and yes, the Experience. He created what is to this day considered one of the most original, heartbreaking, and honest albums ever in Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, and he enjoys a successful solo career to this date, which has produced classic albums such as Unplugged, Slowhand, and 461 Ocean Boulevard, and is without a doubt one of the greatest live guitarists ever, even if all he does is stand still. In over 40 years of playing he has seldom used the same solo live for any song at any show, and still manages to create a magnificent solo each and every time. He uses a similar framework, but just imagine how many solos that comes to. Say it's a 20 song show, he plays a different solo every time across forty years of playing for each song. Figure it out.

Before Clapton there was electric blues guitar, the Chuck Berry method, and the rockabilly sound. What he did was he took the latter two and introduced the blues into it. This can only be described as something that changed music forever. He did another couple of things that had a major effect on music: HE TURNED THE AMP WAY FUCKING UP, and in the studio he thought of moving the mic across the room from the amp to create a unique ambience that can clearly be heard on Cream's 3 records. Another thing he did was popularize wah, something regularly used to this day in metal, rock, and blues.

Another thing is his solos. They're fucking symphonies. He had a tone that was HIS, that tone was something special, combining the clear sound of blues guitar with all the resonation that came from distortion. Listen to "Crossroads" on Wheels of Fire. He's fucking Mozart there. And it was improvised too. That second solo is possibly the most pivotal guitar piece of all time. He's done better solos but that was the first time the world had heard anything like that.

In the early '70's Eric rediscovered Robert Johnson. This along with listening to J.J. Cale and working with Bonnie and Delaney encouraged him to vastly change his musical direction. He tried as hard as possible to change his sound entirely. He worked harder than anything to completely destroy his title as guitar god, he went as far as avoiding soloing entirely for a stretch of shows in 1976. Of course he started soloing again when those shows got him his worst reviews to date. But Eric was Eric... The playing was still excellent and his legend grew and grew and grew (then was destroyed by a series of terrible 80's records but reinstated by Unplugged).

But there was still place for another jam album before he completely turned his back on it. Between his first solo album and his second he released what is arguably his greatest album: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. Along with Whitlock he wrote all the non covers on this album, the greatest of which was of course "Layla", which is to me the ultimate song. It's perfection. It's rock, it's blues, it's everything all at once, it's pain defined, it's hope, it's love, it is proof that Eric Clapton is a great artist. All the tracks are real. They're honest, they're brutal, and the stripped down production just helps the album get that point across. Let's credit Duane Allman for pushing Eric's playing to new hights.

Eric Clapton created the blueprint for rock guitar. Anyone who plays lead guitar in a rock or metal band owes him a debt of gratitude for his work. Because even if you don't know you're doing it, you're building on his work. He essentially created "bluesy hard rock". Guns N' Roses would not have existed without Clapton. So if you play guitar in a rock band and disagree with this particular paragraph, just go download "Steppin' Out" and bow down to the master of rock guitar.

And now the part you've all been waiting for. It was always going to come down to this... Let's face it, there's always going to be the bit where Jimi comes in. Jimi and Eric wouldn't give a damn about who was better or what we thought of either of them. Both have praised each other, and Eric is known to have collapsed in misery claiming that he "will never be that good" when he first heard Jimi play. See, Jimi was without a doubt the more innovative of the two. Jimi got sounds out of a guitar that nobody even thought possible before. These pyrotechnics gave us the first real guitar virtuoso. Clapton was tasteful and always thought musically when composing his solos, or even improvising them. He was always concerned about how it would turn out and showed classy restraint all the time. On the other hand Jimi-by his own admission-just went out there and did whatever the hell he could with the guitar, not giving a damn about musicality or anything else.

This is where I shut up and let Albert King finish my thoughts:

"He'd punch a button and get some smoke. And punch a button and get something else... But when you want to really come down and play the blues, well I could've easily played his songs, but he couldn't play mine."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said mate, but..

I Dont think you could say anyone was "the greatest."

Clapton has certainly done more for guitar than almost anyone else, He was the first to do many many things, People owe him alot. I enjoy his playing more than anyone elses.

Clapton has this unquie style that you can tell it is him, whether he's playing a Fender or a Gibson. Even Slash sounds very clapton-esque sometimes (he does also use a "woman" tone, which Clapton of course was the first to popularise)

He is certainly my No 1 guitar hero. I can't wait to see him live next year.

Clapton's alright as a guitarist. He was great for blues and some rock songs.

I believe Jimmy Page was better though. He could play a great solo such as the break on Heartbreaker, but then go on to play an acoustic song like Bron-yr-Aur or White Summer. He wrote many of rock's greatest riffs, solos and helped write rock's greatest songs.

Clapton just never did that much for me. Sure, I love listening to songs such as Layla, Cocaine and I love Cream, but for me personally, Page was better.

Eddie Van Halen was more inspirational in my opinion and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have had many of the great guitarists we have today. He revolutionised a new generation of guitar players and could make sounds i'd never heard done by any other guitarists.

Erm, isn't Eric Clapton one of his biggest influences? I could say, "If it wasn't for Eric Clapton, we wouldn't have EVH who influenced so many guitarist of our time." Just saying. Anywho, EC is one of my favorite guitarist ever. Contrary to thoughts on this board, I think he plays with A LOT of emotion and is one of the largest rock guitar icons of our time.

The only EVH solo I like is the "Beat It" solo. The tremolo action before the solo is cool, Jimi Hendrix type of stuff.

Eddie Van Halen was more inspirational in my opinion and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have had many of the great guitarists we have today. He revolutionised a new generation of guitar players and could make sounds i'd never heard done by any other guitarists.

Erm, isn't Eric Clapton one of his biggest influences? I could say, "If it wasn't for Eric Clapton, we wouldn't have EVH who influenced so many guitarist of our time." Just saying. Anywho, EC is one of my favorite guitarist ever. Contrary to thoughts on this board, I think he plays with A LOT of emotion and is one of the largest rock guitar icons of our time.

The only EVH solo I like is the "Beat It" solo. The tremolo action before the solo is cool, Jimi Hendrix type of stuff.

Yes you're right that Clapton was one of Eddie's main influences and of course without Clapton we may not of had Eddie but in my opinion i just think Eddie's guitar playing doesn't have a major similarity to any others where as most guitar players can be likened to many others.

But people rebelled against the EVH style of guitar in the grunge movement. Personally i think EVH had terrible solos, he really did just wank. And who of the great guitarists today sound like EVH? Also i remember reading that Clapton was a huge influence of Eddie.

Clapton's alright as a guitarist. He was great for blues and some rock songs.

I believe Jimmy Page was better though. He could play a great solo such as the break on Heartbreaker, but then go on to play an acoustic song like Bron-yr-Aur or White Summer. He wrote many of rock's greatest riffs, solos and helped write rock's greatest songs.

Clapton just never did that much for me. Sure, I love listening to songs such as Layla, Cocaine and I love Cream, but for me personally, Page was better.

See i don't know why people think Page is so great. He didn't do anything new, Beck and Clapton were much more innovative, and overall just plain better imho.

I like Claptons acoustic work much better (Layla (acoustic), Tears in Heaven, All the Robert Johnson covers) its much more tasteful, he had better riffs (Layla, Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads) and his Solos were much much better imho. Page comes across to me as really self indulgent, plus he was sloppy as hell live.

I just find Page terribley overrated, sorry.

As an Icon, he's up there with Slash, Hendrix, Gilbert, etc.

But that talented? Compared to Buckethead, his playing isn't as good.

And comparing a lot of people to buckethead, doesnt make buckethead look that good

Anyway, Keeping on topic, Clapton is excellent live, love watching him play live :shades:

Well, you've posted the same thread about 10 times now.... everytime it says the same thing.

I've posted it once before and I did not elaborate at all.

See i don't know why people think Page is so great. He didn't do anything new, Beck and Clapton were much more innovative, and overall just plain better imho.

I like Claptons acoustic work much better (Layla (acoustic), Tears in Heaven, All the Robert Johnson covers) its much more tasteful, he had better riffs (Layla, Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads) and his Solos were much much better imho. Page comes across to me as really self indulgent, plus he was sloppy as hell live.

Yeah me too. Page was just completely unoriginal sorry. Clapton and Beck have done much more with a guitar than he could ever hope to do. He's good, but really...

He may have not mastered the techniques as well, but comparing a rock guitarist with a man who devotes his time to doing as much as possible with a guitar is ridiculous. Clapton is a better musician than Buckethead, I just think so.

He may have not mastered the techniques as well, but comparing a rock guitarist with a man who devotes his time to doing as much as possible with a guitar is ridiculous. Clapton is a better musician than Buckethead, I just think so.

So, if he's not mastered the techniques, you said it yourself - he's not as good as Buckethead technically?

I see Clapton as more of an icon, he may be the greatest guitar icon, but certainly not the best player.

Damz, that's silly, he played all over Dimebag (and this is from a fan), and you know it.

So, if he's not mastered the techniques, you said it yourself - he's not as good as Buckethead technically?

I see Clapton as more of an icon, he may be the greatest guitar icon, but certainly not the best player.

Damz, that's silly, he played all over Dimebag (and this is from a fan), and you know it.

When I say greatest guitarist, I don't necessarily mean perfect technical ability. I'm talking more about compositionally, musically. I'm certainly not calling him the best player, that would just be silly. But in terms of musicality, playing all those solos, creatively etc.

I doubt Buckethead is creative enough to play different solos in each song for most shows in upwards of 40 years.

Edited by adnan

Yeah me too. Page was just completely unoriginal sorry. Clapton and Beck have done much more with a guitar than he could ever hope to do. He's good, but really...

What do you mean by unoriginal?

I think Page is better for his flexibilty, with songs ranging from Since I've Been Loving You, to No Quarter, to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. Clapton couldn't do that.

Page did come across as sloppy sometimes on live performances, but with that said, he did write great solos such as Thank You, Black Dog and of course Stairway To Heaven. He wrote amazing riffs such as The Ocean, the verse riff to Out On The Tiles among many many others. The riff to Sunshine of Your Love was written by Jack Bruce, not Clapton.

I doubt Buckethead is creative enough to play different solos in each song for most shows in upwards of 40 years.

He's been going for 20 and has managed thus far.

I have several different Bucket boots and he plays the same solo usually with some compositional changes, but nothing drastic. With GN'R he played the solos almost note for note.

What do you mean by unoriginal?

I mean he didn't do anything really original with a guitar.

I think Page is better for his flexibilty, with songs ranging from Since I've Been Loving You, to No Quarter, to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. Clapton couldn't do that.

Clapton has songs ranging from covers of ancient blues songs to R&B to hip hop influenced music on Pilgrim, to electric ballads, to acoustic ballads, to hard rock, funk rock, mainstream rock, cajun. I think he covered a lot more ground than Page.

Page did come across as sloppy sometimes on live performances, but with that said, he did write great solos such as Thank You, Black Dog and of course Stairway To Heaven. He wrote amazing riffs such as The Ocean, the verse riff to Out On The Tiles among many many others. The riff to Sunshine of Your Love was written by Jack Bruce, not Clapton.

I don't think Clapton ever really delved into riff-based music, but he's written some good riffs. 3 albums with Cream and a couple of songs on the DatD disc isn't enough indication. Mostly he's played without too many riffs.

I have several different Bucket boots and he plays the same solo usually with some compositional changes, but nothing drastic. With GN'R he played the solos almost note for note.

For Gn'R, he definately didn't. That's Bumblefoot mate.

And even on his own, there are subtle differences. It's not just the same.

I don't know what you're talking about. To me Nightrain Boston 02 and Nightrain MSG 02 sound pretty much the same.

And it's not about subtle differences, it's about improvising an entirely different solo from the original each and every time, and still working it to fit the song.

I don't know what you're talking about. To me Nightrain Boston 02 and Nightrain MSG 02 sound pretty much the same.

Take another listen - they're different. From 3 mins and 22 in Boston, and 3:25 in MSG. Till 4:34 and 4:38 respectively. So, he actually plays for a second more during MSG. Plus, there are many, many more changes. Not to mention it's a vast improvement on the original, and is changed each night. They are similar, similar parts - but they are very different.

And it's not about subtle differences, it's about improvising an entirely different solo from the original each and every time, and still working it to fit the song.

Which is what he did, go look at every Nightrain Buckethead played on.