Eric Clapton is the greatest guitarist of all time

adnan

Take another listen - they're different. From 3 mins and 22 in Boston, and 3:25 in MSG. Till 4:34 and 4:38 respectively. So, he actually plays for a second more during MSG. Plus, there are many, many more changes. Not to mention it's a vast improvement on the original, and is changed each night. They are similar, similar parts - but they are very different.

Exactly. What Clapton does is he improvises ENTIRELY different solos, that maybe have one note in common with the original. I'm not talking about slight changes, or even changes to the solo, I'm talking about replacing the solo entirely.

Edited by adnan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take another listen - they're different. From 3 mins and 22 in Boston, and 3:25 in MSG. Till 4:34 and 4:38 respectively. So, he actually plays for a second more during MSG. Plus, there are many, many more changes. Not to mention it's a vast improvement on the original, and is changed each night. They are similar, similar parts - but they are very different.

Exactly. What Clapton does is he improvises ENTIRELY different solos, that maybe have one note in common with the original. I'm not talking about slight changes, or even changes to the solo, I'm talking about replacing the solo entirely.

I highly doubt he improvises every single solo that he's ever performed live.

Improvisation is playing whatever right? So why should it matter if it's only slightly different each time, it's improvisation ;)

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
In over 40 years of playing he has seldom used the same solo live for any song at any show, and still manages to create a magnificent solo each and every time. He uses a similar framework, but just imagine how many solos that comes to. Say it's a 20 song show, he plays a different solo every time across forty years of playing for each song. Figure it out.

OK, this is meaningless. He plays in the Blues tradition, in which solos just aren't repeated. I've probably played "Mama, Talk to your Daughter" by J.B. Lenoir hundreds of times, and I'm certain I've never played the same solo over it twice. It's just part of the genre. This "amazing" achievement is true of countless musicians.

Before Clapton there was electric blues guitar, the Chuck Berry method, and the rockabilly sound. What he did was he took the latter two and introduced the blues into it. This can only be described as something that changed music forever.

Didn't The Rolling Stones do that? Everyone had a different take on those styles, but I think it's pretty obvious the Stones had combined them before Clapton hit the scene.

Another thing he did was popularize wah, something regularly used to this day in metal, rock, and blues.

Not true, the wah-wah pedal will forever be linked to Hendrix. He sat in with The Mothers of Invention one night, and met the wah-wah in the process. He mastered it on the spot, and Zappa left the stage and watched. Thousands of kids haven't grown up playing Eric Clapton wah-wah pedals.

Eric Clapton created the blueprint for rock guitar. Anyone who plays lead guitar in a rock or metal band owes him a debt of gratitude for his work. Because even if you don't know you're doing it, you're building on his work. He essentially created "bluesy hard rock". Guns N' Roses would not have existed without Clapton. So if you play guitar in a rock band and disagree with this particular paragraph, just go download "Steppin' Out" and bow down to the master of rock guitar.

I don't agree. The Rolling Stones created "bluesy hard rock", and Hendrix took it to outer space. Cream was great and innovative, but not nearly as popular or influential as Hendrix's work. By the way, I've never heard "Steppin' Out" in my life, get my point?

Jimi was entirely without precedent, ask anyone who was around in 1967.

And my guilty admission. I don't like Eric Clapton's personality or style, he's too clean for me. I like things to be edgier and Hendrix definitely does it for me. So my personal taste will always play a role in these debates.

As an Icon, he's up there with Slash, Hendrix, Gilbert, etc.

But that talented? Compared to Buckethead, his playing isn't as good.

He may have not mastered the techniques as well, but comparing a rock guitarist with a man who devotes his time to doing as much as possible with a guitar is ridiculous. Clapton is a better musician than Buckethead, I just think so.

So, if he's not mastered the techniques, you said it yourself - he's not as good as Buckethead technically?

I see Clapton as more of an icon, he may be the greatest guitar icon, but certainly not the best player.

Damz, that's silly, he played all over Dimebag (and this is from a fan), and you know it.

what did you mean by that last line sandman?

good points distortedsmile.

adnan, i have to politely disagree, ec is one of the best and also one of my all time favorites, but he did not completely revolutionize guitar playing. in my mind the only ones who have done that are hendrix and tom morello.

By the way, I've never heard "Steppin' Out" in my life, get my point?

You only prove my point by making your 'point'. That track influenced plenty of guitarists who in turn influenced others, and many solos you hear nowadays relate to it in a way. It's his "Eruption".

You've also not heard Layla and other Assorted Love Songs, Unplugged, any live albums, or probably even John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. This means your opinions are completely without merit here. I do not see how you could possibly judge Eric without hearing those records and (apparently) only based on Cream, whom even I will admit the Experience were better than. Even if Cream live> Experience (Hendrix>Clapton, but Cream>Experience overall) live. Was Cream the best music Eric ever recorded? Yes. Was it his best guitar playing? Not by tens of millions of miles. To judge Eric based on Cream is ridiculous because you basically don't know anything about his ability if you base your opinions on Cream. The shit he did without Cream contains much, much better guitar playing than any Cream albums. Especially live.

As for Hendrix being without precedent... He himself admitted to being slightly influenced by Clapton.

And Clapton used the wah-wah pedal before Hendrix, for sure, you can hear it on the records. Hendrix sure did use it far better than Eric, but Eric was the first major star to use it and gain popularity FOR using it.

And early Stones guitar to me sounded like a modernized version of the Chuck Berry method. Also Eric released his first album with the Yardbirds in 1964, same with the Stones (which kinda proves that you know nothing about Eric, since you thought he 'hit the scene' much after the Stones), so who are you to say who did it first? And by then Clapton was already something of a local star who'd been playing for a few years and drew quite large audiences (note, this was already more than a year after his name was being scrawled on walls around London), who's to say Keef and Brian Jones hadn't heard him play by then?

By the way, I've never heard "Steppin' Out" in my life, get my point?

You only prove my point by making your 'point'. That track influenced plenty of guitarists who in turn influenced others, and many solos you hear nowadays relate to it in a way. It's his "Eruption".

No, the point is, if I've never heard it, how could it have had the influence you claim it had?

You've also not heard Layla and other Assorted Love Songs, Unplugged, any live albums, or probably even John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. This means your opinions are completely without merit here. I do not see how you could possibly judge Eric without hearing those records and (apparently) only based on Cream, whom even I will admit the Experience were better than. Even if Cream live> Experience (Hendrix>Clapton, but Cream>Experience overall) live. Was Cream the best music Eric ever recorded? Yes. Was it his best guitar playing? Not by tens of millions of miles. To judge Eric based on Cream is ridiculous because you basically don't know anything about his ability if you base your opinions on Cream. The shit he did without Cream contains much, much better guitar playing than any Cream albums. Especially live.

I have Unplugged and have heard it plenty of times. The rest I have indeed not heard. But my instrument is history, and most of this debate is centered around influence. Thus I don't believe this is as important as you make it out to be.

As for Hendrix being without precedent... He himself admitted to being slightly influenced by Clapton.

So?

And Clapton used the wah-wah pedal before Hendrix, for sure, you can hear it on the records. Hendrix sure did use it far better than Eric, but Eric was the first major star to use it and gain popularity FOR using it.

And early Stones guitar to me sounded like a modernized version of the Chuck Berry method. Also Eric released his first album with the Yardbirds in 1964, same with the Stones (which kinda proves that you know nothing about Eric, since you thought he 'hit the scene' much after the Stones), so who are you to say who did it first? And by then Clapton was already something of a local star who'd been playing for a few years and drew quite large audiences (note, this was already more than a year after his name was being scrawled on walls around London), who's to say Keef and Brian Jones hadn't heard him play by then?

Very arguable.

No, the point is, if I've never heard it, how could it have had the influence you claim it had?

Because it influenced so many people in the sixties, who in turn influenced others. Look it up, it was quite a hit and the album it was on is considered essential even by Clapton haters.

I have Unplugged and have heard it plenty of times. The rest I have indeed not heard. But my instrument is history, and most of this debate is centered around influence. Thus I don't believe this is as important as you make it out to be.

It's very important because we're talking about how good Eric is here. Since you have clearly heard possibly none of his more impressive guitar work, you have no right to judge him. I can judge, say, Hendrix, because I have all the live and studio albums.

And you already said you didn't have Unplugged, so don't change your story:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=81952

Very arguable.

Then argue it. I agree that details are vague, but by the time Eric released his first album, he was clearly already more successful than the Stones were at the time. Frankly I don't see what's so arguable about either of the points. Clapton wasn't the first superstar to use wah-wah, but he was still the first to be widely acclaimed for it. And I don't think you'll find many people who'll disagree with the fact that Eric was majorly successful in 1964. Consider the fact that the Yardbirds were well known enough to debut with a largely successful live album recorded in front of surprisingly large audiences.

[And you already said you didn't have Unplugged, so don't change your story:

Listen man, it's about six feet from me at this very moment. I have it. Doesn't mean I remember every song that's on it.

I don't really care, if you want a spectacular debate I'm not down. My preference is basic, I don't enjoy his style, and that's evident from anything he does.

I must say, its great to read ODS and Adnan have a disscussion, seeing as i respect both of you so much.

I think this time i sway to the side of Adnan though, because i really do love Clapton's work.

But Adnan, how could you say Jimi was better at using the Wah?? Clapton was way way way better, just listern to White Room, listern to that control, his foot is so in-sync with his fingers. Clapton is the wah king.

I must say, its great to read ODS and Adnan have a disscussion, seeing as i respect both of you so much.

I think this time i sway to the side of Adnan though, because i really do love Clapton's work.

But Adnan, how could you say Jimi was better at using the Wah?? Clapton was way way way better, just listern to White Room, listern to that control, his foot is so in-sync with his fingers. Clapton is the wah king.

I just think Hendrix was the master of wah, I mean, I've never seen someone use it so effectively. Clapton is more tasteful with his use of it, and although that should mean I prefer him I don't.

I'll take adnan's side in this one, though I am personally conflicted. Would he not have died so early, Stevie would have played rings around Clapton. However, Stevie died, and Clapton remains God to this day.

You know, I won't deny that as a possibility. Stevie was just getting better and better when he died. Real shame. Hendrix was a completely different sort though and I don't think he was going to start using his guitar as tastefully as he would've required to make me think him better than Eric. Did enough to make me consider him the second best.

[And you already said you didn't have Unplugged, so don't change your story:

Listen man, it's about six feet from me at this very moment. I have it. Doesn't mean I remember every song that's on it.

I don't really care, if you want a spectacular debate I'm not down. My preference is basic, I don't enjoy his style, and that's evident from anything he does.

You started debating me on several points. I don't want a spectacular debate. I was just answering your post. I tend to get passionate about these things because I like arguing with people, but no, I do not want a spectacular debate. I welcome one, but I think I knew from the beginning that you didn't intend to start one.

I don't enjoy Led Zeppelin much but you don't see me badmouthing them at every possible opportunity.

You know, I won't deny that as a possibility. Stevie was just getting better and better when he died. Real shame. Hendrix was a completely different sort though and I don't think he was going to start using his guitar as tastefully as he would've required to make me think him better than Eric. Did enough to make me consider him the second best.

Do you have First Rays of the New Rising Sun? Some of the tracks on there might change your mind.

As an Icon, he's up there with Slash, Hendrix, Gilbert, etc.

But that talented? Compared to Buckethead, his playing isn't as good.

He may have not mastered the techniques as well, but comparing a rock guitarist with a man who devotes his time to doing as much as possible with a guitar is ridiculous. Clapton is a better musician than Buckethead, I just think so.

So, if he's not mastered the techniques, you said it yourself - he's not as good as Buckethead technically?

I see Clapton as more of an icon, he may be the greatest guitar icon, but certainly not the best player.

Damz, that's silly, he played all over Dimebag (and this is from a fan), and you know it.

what did you mean by that last line sandman?

I was commenting on the fact that Dimebag Darrell (RIP), was a fantastic guitarists, considered to be one of the best ever. Buckethead was better than him. Coming from a fan of both.

Well, I'm certainly impressed you put that much effort in to your argument, but people will never agree on one greatest guitarist, so your efforts are futile.

i agree. u like people for different reason. i know johnny thunders aint the MOST technically profficent but i DARE anyone to immitate that to a T. its impossible, each guitar is a little different each players style and as such, each sound wrung from a guitar is different.

Well, I'm certainly impressed you put that much effort in to your argument, but people will never agree on one greatest guitarist, so your efforts are futile.

i agree. u like people for different reason. i know johnny thunders aint the MOST technically profficent but i DARE anyone to immitate that to a T. its impossible, each guitar is a little different each players style and as such, each sound wrung from a guitar is different.

Johnny Thunders is absolutely fantastic! rock3

Do you have First Rays of the New Rising Sun? Some of the tracks on there might change your mind.

I do. If he had continued to play he would've been more of a legend in my eyes.