What's up with nintendo sounds in GnR?

magho

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I've never posted anything her before, but i've been a reader for a long time. But when i heard that new changed chinese democracy on youtube and the whole better leak (only had the 1:20 leak for a long time) i just had to post.

What the fuck is up with that pointless shredding sounding like someone is playing super mario bros. That is not good music. Don't get me wrong, I love the new band and i saw them twice this summer and they rocked, but really, that nintendo-shredding sounds like som guitar-geek filming himself and putting the tape on youtube so he can show everybody how fast he can move his fingers.

That's why i didn't like buckedhead (I didn't like his bucket, mask and raincoat either) and that's why i don't like bumblefoot. I know he is a good guitarist, but that sound when going through pipes in mario sunds bad.

I loved slash because of his soul, I love finck because of his soul and i love richard for his soul.

I don't understand why they need a guitargeek in the band when you have two amazing rockstars who can pull off everything.

I know this is just one mans opinion, and I respect the band members and I also think it's up to them to decide what the music should sound like. But If chinese democracy is full of super mario shredding I'll be disappointed - it ruins the great music.

I rather like the indie/industrial sounds. You should check out Idiot Pilot if you really want to hear some Indie music.

Ok for starters Buckethead has more soul and emotion than any GnR guitarist ever. End of Story.

Colma, Population Override and Electric tears have more emotion than a bathtub filled with the tears of crying orphans. Then there's tracks like "I love My Parents" on other albums. Seriously, there's no argument there and I'm sick of having to discuss it.

The shredding in Better is only short and is there to give a sort of outside kinda sound, it makes the song sound really weird and angry, it adds to thw atmosphere of the song and is appropriate. Now if Bucket was playing a longer solo like in TWAT or Nottingham Lace or Whitewash or whatever it is musical genius with brilliant melody. So don't bash shred when it's in context and don't bash Bucket or Ron for just playing that and nothing else because they can play any style you want with awesome virtuosity as they have displayed countless times.

Honestly, I'm sick of having to tell the same obvious shit to the same ignorant morons over and over.

Yeah well put man.

Ok for starters Buckethead has more soul and emotion than any GnR guitarist ever. End of Story.

Colma, Population Override and Electric tears have more emotion than a bathtub filled with the tears of crying orphans. Then there's tracks like "I love My Parents" on other albums. Seriously, there's no argument there and I'm sick of having to discuss it.

The shredding in Better is only short and is there to give a sort of outside kinda sound, it makes the song sound really weird and angry, it adds to thw atmosphere of the song and is appropriate. Now if Bucket was playing a longer solo like in TWAT or Nottingham Lace or Whitewash or whatever it is musical genius with brilliant melody. So don't bash shred when it's in context and don't bash Bucket or Ron for just playing that and nothing else because they can play any style you want with awesome virtuosity as they have displayed countless times.

Honestly, I'm sick of having to tell the same obvious shit to the same ignorant morons over and over.

it's a matter of opinion, dude.

ron and bucket both have diarrhea of the fingers.....that type of guitar playing is what happens when virgins remain virgins for too long.

bbf is way better at it than bucket, and can play a lot of really expressive shit. his personal band is total trash, but he's better in gn'r than bucket was.

I disagree. I like Slash's playing the best.

I didn't say which was better, I was talking about styles. Bucket has a very, very emotional and almost lullabyesque style in many of his albums. I WAS NOT saying Buckethead is better than Slash. I love them both. Bucket often plays in a more emotional style, this is fact. Whether you prefer one players playing over the other is opinion.

ron and bucket both have diarrhea of the fingers.....that type of guitar playing is what happens when virgins remain virgins for too long.

bbf is way better at it than bucket, and can play a lot of really expressive shit. his personal band is total trash, but he's better in gn'r than bucket was.

You see the difference here is, I know exactly what I'm talking about. You don't know shit. I'd be surprised if you've even heard most of Bucket and Ron's material.

I didn't say which was better, I was talking about styles. Bucket has a very, very emotional and almost lullabyesque style in many of his albums. I WAS NOT saying Buckethead is better than Slash. I love them both. Bucket often plays in a more emotional style, this is fact. Whether you prefer one players playing over the other is opinion.

You see the difference here is, I know exactly what I'm talking about. You don't know shit. I'd be surprised if you've even heard most of Bucket and Ron's material.

according to YOU, you know what you're talking about. i "don't know shit" to you cause we disagree. to that end, i know just what i'm talking about because my opinion is the only one that matters to me. i've heard enough of both ron and bucket's "material" to know i dont like it.....

here's another opinion i came up with on my own:

"shredding" or "robot" guitar playing is easy. it's a matter of technical skill. anyone with half a brain can practice 8 hours a day for however many years and do that type of stuff. as far as "soul" and "emotion" is concerned, it's completely subjective. some people think that mariah carey is the greatest singer of all time. she just speaks to certain people....she ain't sayin shit to me.

ron and bucket are mutes as well.

to me.

according to YOU, you know what you're talking about. i "don't know shit" to you cause we disagree. to that end, i know just what i'm talking about because my opinion is the only one that matters to me. i've heard enough of both ron and bucket's "material" to know i dont like it.....

"shredding" or "robot" guitar playing is easy. it's a matter of technical skill. anyone with half a brain can practice 8 hours a day for however many years and do that type of stuff. as far as "soul" and "emotion" is concerned, it's completely subjective. some people think that mariah carey is the greatest singer of all time. she just speaks to certain people....she ain't sayin shit to me.

to me.

Sure, if you're bent on being the stupidest person in the world you can make a collection of statements like those. Of course your opinion is wrong. It's not just "according to him" that he knows what he's talking about if he's referencing actual fact.

Any sort of musical examination of what bucket plays would tell you that yes, buckethead plays what is termed as soulful or emotional style on a good number of his albums, it's not just a subjective matter. His assumption is that you probably haven't heard these albums, because the majority of his work that is exposed does not show this.

to me.

Watch the video I posted..

to me.

Sure, if you're bent on being the stupidest person in the world you can make a collection of statements like those. Of course your opinion is wrong. It's not just "according to him" that he knows what he's talking about if he's referencing actual fact.

Any sort of musical examination of what bucket plays would tell you that yes, buckethead plays what is termed as soulful or emotional style on a good number of his albums, it's not just a subjective matter. His assumption is that you probably haven't heard these albums, because the majority of his work that is exposed does not show this.

if there is any database or other fact checking apparatus with which to determine whether or not a musician plays with "feeling" it should be shut down. you saying he plays with "what has been termed as soulful style" only makes me feel better. is there some numbnuts council of guitar shreddery that determines thesse things? it's up to the listener. i don't think you're wrong, but i know i'm right. i respect your opinion on the matter, cause i know that we are both following our instincts despite our disagreement. you calling me stupid and shit is like silence to me. i doubt you'd say it to my face.

bottom line: that type of playing is, to my ears, completely tacky, masturbatory, and most of all, cerebral...ergot, it has no place in rock n' roll.

"shredding" or "robot" guitar playing is easy.

Would love to see you do it well ;)

i'd hate to see me do it. not that i couldnt...i wouldnt want to.....i couldnt do it right now but i, like ayone else who plays guitar, could do it with enough practice. it's a question of memorizing scales and finger exercises.

to me.

if there is any database or other fact checking apparatus with which to determine whether or not a musician plays with "feeling" it should be shut down. you saying he plays with "what has been termed as soulful style" only makes me feel better. is there some numbnuts council of guitar shreddery that determines thesse things? it's up to the listener. i don't think you're wrong, but i know i'm right. i respect your opinion on the matter, cause i know that we are both following our instincts despite our disagreement. you calling me stupid and shit is like silence to me. i doubt you'd say it to my face.

bottom line: that type of playing is, to my ears, completely tacky, masturbatory, and most of all, cerebral...ergot, it has no place in rock n' roll.

i'd hate to see me do it. not that i couldnt...i wouldnt want to.....i couldnt do it right now but i, like ayone else who plays guitar, could do it with enough practice. it's a question of memorizing scales and finger exercises.

It's called music theory.

Yes exactly, the type of guitar wankage from MAB or Chris Impellteri takes practicing fast scale runs 12 hours a day but to play like Bucket takes talent. To say you've heard "enough" to make a conclusion speaks volumes to me. Listen to the albums I suggest with an OPEN MIND and you'll change your views instantly.

...and stop labeling me as some sort of guitar shagging shred brigadier. My favourite players are SRV, Randy Rhoads, Satch, Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, Shawn Lane, Slash, Buckethead, EVH, Vai and a ton of others. I hate mindless shred but I love Bucket and other select virtuoso because they have it all and know when and how to use their abilities.

To say crap like all shredding is retarded and all virtuosos have no feeling is just as bad as saying playing slow is for pussies. They're both stupid shit spewed by morons of both extremes. There's nothing wrong with having virtuosity, just don't rely on it and treat it like a sport. Instead, use it as a tool to remove all creative boundaries.

Edited by PurpleHaze

to me.

It's called music theory.

music theory is a pointless endeavor in reference to rock....check out all of the people in the pantheon of rock greatness...none of them knew theory. in fact, when rock n roll got big, the music theory penis ticklers hated it. "this "music" has parallel fifths and it speeds up! this singer is 20 cents flat! beethoven is rollingin his grave!"

roll over beethoven!

theories are for scientists!

music theory is a pointless endeavor in reference to rock....check out all of the people in the pantheon of rock greatness...none of them knew theory. in fact, when rock n roll got big, the music theory penis ticklers hated it. "this "music" has parallel fifths and it speeds up! this singer is 20 cents flat! beethoven is rollingin his grave!"

roll over beethoven!

theories are for scientists!

Yeah! We don't need music theory! THAT'S LIKE SCHOOL THAT IS! We're far to cool and rock & roll for that!

Grow up.

I'm referring to music theory as a means of interpreting and not writing. I'm not a big fan of people who are completely anal about music theory either, but there is a science behind the art, and there is an application of that science as a means to achieve an end.

Edited by argondamn