What's up with nintendo sounds in GnR?

magho

music theory is a pointless endeavor in reference to rock....check out all of the people in the pantheon of rock greatness...none of them knew theory. in fact, when rock n roll got big, the music theory penis ticklers hated it. "this "music" has parallel fifths and it speeds up! this singer is 20 cents flat! beethoven is rollingin his grave!"

roll over beethoven!

theories are for scientists!

You're an idiot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok for starters Buckethead has more soul and emotion than any GnR guitarist ever. End of Story.

Colma, Population Override and Electric tears have more emotion than a bathtub filled with the tears of crying orphans. Then there's tracks like "I love My Parents" on other albums. Seriously, there's no argument there and I'm sick of having to discuss it.

The shredding in Better is only short and is there to give a sort of outside kinda sound, it makes the song sound really weird and angry, it adds to thw atmosphere of the song and is appropriate. Now if Bucket was playing a longer solo like in TWAT or Nottingham Lace or Whitewash or whatever it is musical genius with brilliant melody. So don't bash shred when it's in context and don't bash Bucket or Ron for just playing that and nothing else because they can play any style you want with awesome virtuosity as they have displayed countless times.

Honestly, I'm sick of having to tell the same obvious shit to the same ignorant morons over and over.

I'm pretty sure that you're the most intellegent person on this forum.

music theory is a pointless endeavor in reference to rock....check out all of the people in the pantheon of rock greatness...none of them knew theory. in fact, when rock n roll got big, the music theory penis ticklers hated it. "this "music" has parallel fifths and it speeds up! this singer is 20 cents flat! beethoven is rollingin his grave!"

roll over beethoven!

theories are for scientists!

Yeah! We don't need music theory! THAT'S LIKE SCHOOL THAT IS! We're far to cool and rock & roll for that!

Grow up.

heyyyyy now p-haze. let's not get too shitty here. these are just my opinions.....yours don't offend me and make me want to insult you or anybody else. it's just a matter of personal taste, as i've said a a few times. neither of us are wrong or right.

however, i hope you do understand (and this is a fact) that none of the people who invented rock n roll knew what the fuck music theory was, and none of the original gn'r members knew either. axl i'm sure knows/knew a little just from being a great singer in choir for so long. i doubt he knew the whole textbook. slash clearly knows one scale (and he knows it well!). rock n roll is an ear phenomenon. the great ones wrote stuff that made the theoy peoples' mind boggle b/c it worked so well melodically. it wasnt that these writers/players knew theory, it's that they instinctively did things that sounded good in that context.

SRV didnt know a lick of theory..he couldnt even read music, which almost got him fired from david bowie's band in the early 80s. he had a great ear though. hendrix didnt know theory, but he had perfect pitch. he didnt need to think/theorize about it.

so again, my opinion, is that the music theory stuff is pointless in reference to rock music. when was the last time you theoretically wanted to party? last time you cried theoretically? smiled? humped?

i will never grow up, btw.

:)

SRV didnt know a lick of theory..he couldnt even read music, which almost got him fired from david bowie's band in the early 80s. he had a great ear though. hendrix didnt know theory, but he had perfect pitch. he didnt need to think/theorize about it.

so again, my opinion, is that the music theory stuff is pointless in reference to rock music. when was the last time you theoretically wanted to party? last time you cried theoretically? smiled? humped?

It's common knowledge SRV and Hendrix didn't know music theory. Nobody knows for sure if Hendrix had perfect pitch though but if he did (more than likely) then he can play everything by ear anyway. For us mortals who can't, however, theory is vital.

Again though, you're talking from an extreme. I don't think it's IMPERATIVE to have a massive grasp of theory either but the key is creating a BALANCE of theory, intellectual ability and artistic expression. That's what Bucket and Ron do so well and that's why I love them.

It's stupid to just say theory is pointless and is for anal music professors, because that just isn't true.

Oh and a little fun fact for you. Ron "shitty nintendo shredder" Thal also has perfect pitch, just like Hendrix and Mozart.

It's common knowledge SRV and Hendrix didn't know music theory. Nobody knows for sure if Hendrix had perfect pitch though but if he did (more than likely) then he can play everything by ear anyway. For us mortals who can't, however, theory is vital.

Again though, you're talking from an extreme. I don't think it's IMPERATIVE to have a massive grasp of theory either but the key is creating a BALANCE of theory, intellectual ability and artistic expression. That's what Bucket and Ron do so well and that's why I love them.

It's stupid to just say theory is pointless and is for anal music professors, because that just isn't true.

Oh and a little fun fact for you. Ron "shitty nintendo shredder" Thal also has perfect pitch, just like Hendrix and Mozart.

hey i like thal in gn'r. i dont dig his personal band, but i like what he does in the new band, save for some of the bucketheadish moments in the newer stuff. i think he's far superior to to bucket, fortus, and finck when it comes to playing the old band's solos.

i read that when hendrix got his first guitar, he had no piano and could not afford a guitar tuner. he went to the store and asked the salesman if the guitar on the wall was in tune. he then ran his fingers over each individual string, and walked a few miles back to his house and tuned his guitar perfectly.

what an asshole!

i dont have absolute pitch, but i've always been able to figure most stuff out by listening to it. when i got into robert johnson i was confused cause i had never played in open tunings before, but other than that.....

i dont think theory is vital if you cant play by ear. you just gve to sit there with your guitar, your records, and a tasty beverage while you keep trying.

i read that when hendrix got his first guitar, he had no piano and could not afford a guitar tuner. he went to the store and asked the salesman if the guitar on the wall was in tune. he then ran his fingers over each individual string, and walked a few miles back to his house and tuned his guitar perfectly.

what an asshole!

Yeah I heard that too but I wasn't sure if it was an urban legend or something. Like, I once new a guy who was CONVINCED Steve Vai had six fingers on each hand lol

You can never be sure with those old rock & roll fables.

Its simple, Axl wants a player like Ron or Bucket in the band, because they can provide sounds most guitarists cant dream of producing!

If u dont like it, dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

He just came with his opinion.... Your last comment is so unneccessary. I agree with the first one though ;)

Ok for starters Buckethead has more soul and emotion than any GnR guitarist ever. End of Story.

Colma, Population Override and Electric tears have more emotion than a bathtub filled with the tears of crying orphans. Then there's tracks like "I love My Parents" on other albums. Seriously, there's no argument there and I'm sick of having to discuss it.

The shredding in Better is only short and is there to give a sort of outside kinda sound, it makes the song sound really weird and angry, it adds to thw atmosphere of the song and is appropriate. Now if Bucket was playing a longer solo like in TWAT or Nottingham Lace or Whitewash or whatever it is musical genius with brilliant melody. So don't bash shred when it's in context and don't bash Bucket or Ron for just playing that and nothing else because they can play any style you want with awesome virtuosity as they have displayed countless times.

Honestly, I'm sick of having to tell the same obvious shit to the same ignorant morons over and over.

Why can't you respect someones opinion. People on this forum are so close minded. It's like you can't discuss stuff without taking offense. :rolleyes:

Yeah well put man.

:unsure:

Listen to the solos in the demos.... Better, I.R.S., TWAT.... They sound perfect. On better, listen to the second solo Bucket does at around 2:10... Compare that to the solos BBF does live now.

So the guitar on the demos are played by Buckethead.. I really like the Better solo (the one that was played on the radio) about 2:40 into the song when it sounds as if he's fiering gunshots :question: in a way with the guitar... love it...

Stop ignoring the video.

The video didn't really impress me... :rolleyes: he's good and know how to play the guitar but it's not like I'm gonna listen to it again... It's a matter of taste.

Yeah! We don't need music theory! THAT'S LIKE SCHOOL THAT IS! We're far to cool and rock & roll for that!

Grow up.

Haha...

magho... norwegian? Bruce had a concert in Norway today :shades:

the quote thing didn't really work... :xmassrudolph:

Edited by triplea

I'm not going to profess to be some expert here (even though am a guitarist and have some idea) - just going to express an opinion. I don't like Bucket's look or general playing style, and my knowledge of BBF's playing is limited. However, I can't stop being awestruck by Bucket's solo in TWAT. Whoa! Emotive, powerful and unique. Most of all it provides a "bucket"load of adrenalin to the listener, which IMO is what GNR is all about.