AXL's Rant in San Juan last night

dobadog

Interesting rant from Axl. So I guess the internet's still a big garbage can to him.

I don't really have a problem with all the cameras and tape recorders and all of that...

Well, well..

We're going to do what we do and play what you want to hear.

So according to Axl, the fans prefer the classics over the newer material. Seems fair. I can only guess it was frustration over the lack of response on the newer songs that lead to that rant. Could this just be an excuse to hide the fact that the fans aren't too keen on his band's material? Or as Axl2002 said, an excuse to not play new songs. I mean, the way things are looking, the set list won't be changing even after the release of CD.

Hey Outtagetme, when exactly did Axl rant?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting rant from Axl. So I guess the internet's still a big garbage can to him.
I don't really have a problem with all the cameras and tape recorders and all of that...

Well, well..

We're going to do what we do and play what you want to hear.

So according to Axl, the fans prefer the classics over the newer material. Seems fair. I can only guess it was frustration over the lack of response on the newer songs that lead to that rant. Could this just be an excuse to hide the fact that the fans aren't too keen on his band's material? Or as Axl2002 said, an excuse to not play new songs. I mean, the way things are looking, the set list won't be changing even after the release of CD.

Hey Outtagetme, when exactly did Axl rant?

Keep in mind, Axl once said to a fan that The Blues and Madagascar were just B Side material.

So i am really looking forward to hearing the finished Chinese Democracy.

The A Side material must be really something :D

I mean, the way things are looking, the set list won't be changing even after the release of CD.

You know what? Why should it?

I went to a Deep Purple show this year, and I only know their classic songs. They played 4 or 5 songs from the new album and the venue just fell dead during them. It's not that they weren't great songs or anything - it's just that people wanted to hear more of the old stuff as opposed to the new stuff.

I don't mind if they change a few songs around, but I think they should keep this proportion of old songs to new songs. It's what the people at the shows want to hear.

:rofl-lol:

Was Ireland just randomly thrown in or is it coz of vicious???

YA LUCKY BASTARD VICIOUS :rofl-lol:

*small error*

Axl said Idaho not Ireland

Outtagetme heard wrong according to Wired_Angel

(both were at San Juan last night)

How disapointing :cry:

Edited by AxlRox

Axl doesn't have a probllem with cameras? Well, if that's true, doesn't explain why I was almost stripped searched at the Hammerstein and even in Vegas, security at both venues made a point before we even got to the door that all cameras would be confiscated.

Nice to hear a rant from Axl, but he seems a little rusty. Needs some more work before he gets it just right again.

Axl.. if youre reading this: Please release CHINESE DEMOCRACY ! U R0cK m8!!! UR F'k1ng AWZOm3!!!!1!ELEVEN! Wi11 U m4rry m3? omGzz.. :shocked:

lmao, you've gotta be kidding...right? if not, fuck off and learn to spell properly and not use such ridiculous spellings. Fucker.

anyways, cool rant from Axl. Would be nice to hear some different songs in the sets, but whatever lol.

I mean, the way things are looking, the set list won't be changing even after the release of CD.

I went to a Deep Purple show this year, and I only know their classic songs. They played 4 or 5 songs from the new album and the venue just fell dead during them. It's not that they weren't great songs or anything - it's just that people wanted to hear more of the old stuff as opposed to the new stuff.

I don't mind if they change a few songs around, but I think they should keep this proportion of old songs to new songs. It's what the people at the shows want to hear.

So what then? Axl should only play AFD over and over again for another 20 years? Christ. I wish Axl would spread his wings and grow as an artist. I understand playing your greatest hits, but this is the Chinese Democracy tour. Or maybe not. Who knows. Lamb.

But they already play 5 new songs a night? Sure, they're the same new songs every night, but i'm sure once the album drops they'll play different ones.

I mean... how much of the setlist do you think should be comprised of new material? When does it become unreasonable to force that upon the casual fans who turn up at the shows?

It's plain as day why CD hasn't been released at this point. Axl can't even take criticism from his die hard fans who are sick of the same set list without freaking out. What happens when he has to deal with the whole world talking about Chinese Democracy? There is a chance that the criticism that CD will get from some journalists might be enough to push Axl over the edge, and he could wind up in some sort of mental ward with Eddie Van Halen.

Edited by Randy Lahey

So what then? Axl should only play AFD over and over again for another 20 years? Christ. I wish Axl would spread his wings and grow as an artist. I understand playing your greatest hits, but this is the Chinese Democracy tour. Or maybe not. Who knows. Lamb.

But they already play 5 new songs a night? Sure, they're the same new songs every night, but i'm sure once the album drops they'll play different ones.

I mean... how much of the setlist do you think should be comprised of new material? When does it become unreasonable to force that upon the casual fans who turn up at the shows?

EXACTLY

Some people are so close minded...or have the mind the size of a peanut and just can't see this when it's so fucking obvious, it drives me nuts :anger:

I'm so happy that axl took the time to flame them in a rant. :shades:

So to everyone who is complaining about the setlist, EAT THAT MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

A8R

Well here lies the problem, isn't it. The fact that this band relies so heavily on old material dates it to that particular period. Forget about moving forward with new material. It ain't gonna happen when the band's called GNR. KISS, Deep Purple, AC/DC you name it. Bands like these had their prime and that's what you associate them with. You don't go to their concert expecting new songs. No, you want the classics. Hell, if I were to attend a GNR concert, I'd prefer the classics over the new material myself.

Compared with another particular band that started off afresh and you see my dissapointment. GNR is stuck in the 80's/90's.

A band like deep purple is a nostalgia act whose best days have long since past. People go to the concert to hear the old songs and nothing else. If Axl wants GN'R to become yet another nostalgia act, resting on the laurels of their glory days, and playing 20 year old songs then that's his decsision. If he thinks that CD is actually a good album and GN'R actually do have a future as a relevant, functioning band, then he needs to show some faith in the new material.

When they began touring in advance of the UYI release, they knew they had good material and they went out and let the people hear it. The idea that they are going to promote CD by playing songs from AFD is utterly ridiculous and could do more harm than good, by focusing attention on the past rather than the future.

Well here lies the problem, isn't it. The fact that this band relies so heavily on old material dates it to that particular period. Forget about moving forward with new material. It ain't gonna happen when the band's called GNR. KISS, Deep Purple, AC/DC you name it. Bands like these had their prime and that's what you associate them with. You don't go to their concert expecting new songs. No, you want the classics. Hell, if I were to attend a GNR concert, I'd prefer the classics over the new material myself.

Compared with another particular band that started off afresh and you see my dissapointment. GNR is stuck in the 80's/90's.

But why is this a problem? Every major band relies on old material in their setlist. If Guns N' Roses had stayed together, they would have relied on their "classic" material in setlists as well. Live shows showcase a band's entire careers. AFD was this band's peak period, so that's where lots of the setlist is going to come from.

They aren't stuck in the 80's/90's - they're playing their new material as well. This is just what any band that's been going for many years does. They play material that spans their entire careers.

I don't see the problem with it, and I guess I never will. Oh well - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Unfortunately, you tards don't even know the paradox you lead yourselves into. You keep pleading with the band to play, at least, some songs from the Illusion albums. Yet, you'll eventually get tired of them too, since they are older songs. Then, if Axl plays a few completely new songs from the album, they'll be whored on these message boards like nothing we've ever seen.

Sure, hearing the new tunes would be good for you, but on an album that you people excruciatingly point out has taken too long, you'd like Axl to just throw away newer songs for your satisfaction? That's laughable. Therefore, we're left with nothing once again. Either you're pissed off and will get tired of old songs (including the Illusions), or you'll be pissed off because Axl may ruin the album for you with new songs.

This fanbase is never pleased. Ever. The whole setlist could be new songs, and people would whine that they don't have a nostalgic feel. All AFD songs, and no new feel. A mixture of both, not a good enough feel. You've got to be kidding me. Face it, Axlite or not, no one can be happy with any situation this band is in.

A band like deep purple is a nostalgia act whose best days have long since past. People go to the concert to hear the old songs and nothing else. If Axl wants GN'R to become yet another nostalgia act, resting on the laurels of their glory days, and playing 20 year old songs then that's his decsision. If he thinks that CD is actually a good album and GN'R actually do have a future as a relevant, functioning band, then he needs to show some faith in the new material.

When they began touring in advance of the UYI release, they knew they had good material and they went out and let the people hear it. The idea that they are going to promote CD by playing songs from AFD is utterly ridiculous and could do more harm than good, by focusing attention on the past rather than the future.

And you know what? I hate to break this to you, but for most of the people going to GN'R's shows, they are a nostalgia act. If Axl wanted it to be different, then he shouldn't have held onto the name. People go to a Guns N' Roses show to see the Guns N' Roses music that they know.

If I show up to a GN'R gig and they don't play the classics, then i'll be pissed. I'll be going to these shows to hear You Could Be Mine and Jungle - songs that made me a GN'R fan. Sure, I want to hear those songs punctuated with a few new ones - but if he played a set that was primarily comprised of new material, I wouldn't be happy.

He's shown plenty of faith in the new material. He's consistently playing 4-5 new songs every night, before the album has even come out. Given that 95% of the audience has never heard any of these songs, that's pretty damn good.

EDIT: If you want to complain about the setlist - complain about the solos.

Edited by highvoltage

"And that goes for all you punks on the net

That want to start shit by printin' rants

Instead of kissin my ass

That means you

UK Subs at MyGnr

The punks at HTGTH

All of Velvet Revolver

Bob Geldof in Ireland,

What you pissed off cuz your dad gets more

pussy than you?

Fuck you

Suck my fuckin' dick

You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids

While they be wastin' their hard earned

bandwidth to read about the bands

They want to know about

Printin' lies instead of lyin down and kissin me

You wanta antagonize me

Antagonize me motherfucker

Get in the ring motherfucker

And I'll kick your bitchy little ass

Punk"

He's shown plenty of faith in the new material. He's consistently playing 4-5 new songs every night, before the album has even come out. Given that 95% of the audience has never heard any of these songs, that's pretty damn good.

Agreed. That's enough until the album drops.