Nusrat fateh Ali Khan

frankwhite

its like...really spiritual i think arabic music, im not sure...its so deliciously hypnotic n passionate sounding, i really love him. one of the best voices i ever heard, wish i understood the language but the passion is so powerful it shines out!

its like...really spiritual i think arabic music, im not sure...its so deliciously hypnotic n passionate sounding, i really love him. one of the best voices i ever heard, wish i understood the language but the passion is so powerful it shines out!

It's Pakistani. He's fairly good, but I find nearly all explicitly spiritual music a bit pretentious and overbearing.

If you like some of the instrumentalism, you might enjoy Rai music, which is pretty damn special, here's some info and stuff about it. They have a couple of regular instruments in common:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82915

You know that Eddie Vedder worked with him right?

I have a concert film of his, Live in Concert in the UK (vol. 1), he was a fantastic live performer.

I've heard a few tracks here and there and it's pretty mindblowing stuff. The music transcends not only language but also specific religious beliefs. It gives me the same feeling I get from listening to Raihan Yusuf Islam(also of Pakistani descent I believe) or Ravi Shankar(Indian), which I think could best be described as a feeling of spiritual ascension- a high that cannot be achieved with substances.

Perhaps someone could recommend a particular album or compilation-lthere are quite a few releases at my local record store and I have no idea where to start.

if u got an e-mail address i could send u some? watch out though cuz theres a lotta shitty remix versions with cruddy ass beats from like drum n bass n like...all sortsa bastardisations but in its pure Qawwali form, i love it to bits with jus the sitar, the tabla drums n that weird lookin seated keyboard/accordian instrument they use. another artist i came across was Aziz Mian, who has a gravelier voice. i paid a guy who worked in a furniture store who was pakistani 37 dollars on his lunchbreak to listen to a cd of it and pause after ever sentence n tell me what it meant, it was incredible like...really poetic stuff. apparently, in kashmir/pakistan this guy told me poetry is just as popular as pop music n kids/grown ups/teenagers are all into it n they play it in this amazing way where like they'll be tabla drum player n then like this one guy who holds this weird clay made water...container which is shaped kinda like a lightbulb n he wears these jingle bells on his hand n kinda uses it for a drum beat. n they play the same tune ALL the time n the poetry is read in between this tune, which is amazing cuz it means these ordinary people, people that lots of the worlds considers to be backward inbred fuckwads come up with this amazing structured poetry. now THAT is an orignal art form, i find it so cool!!!