Do GnR hate their fans?

Maddergascar

Does anyone get the feeling that the only reaction we ever get from Axl, or anyone associated with him, is abuse and rants, if we even get a reaction at all? I've followed a lot of bands on the internet and I've never seen a group who was more indifferent to their hardcore following.

I realise they don't owe us anything. My parents don't owe me anything either, but that doesn't mean they throw me out on the street. It's not about debts or producers and consumers. It's about being a man and showing a little compassion towards people.

I post a lot here yes, but I also go to the shows, buy the merchandise and defend the band when i hear people badmouthing them. I felt really offended by what Del James said. Does this mean Axl prefers casual fans who just want to hear SCOM, to those people who have dedicated so much time to a band they love?

I think a better way to put it is that they simply do not care.

I think its a reach to say they actively dislike us. But I see little evidence that they truly give a shit either way.

If we continue to follow them, great. If we don't, oh well.

This is of course referred to by apologists as "the GNR attitude". Know what I call it - "suicidal business practice".

Edited by D-GenerationX

I think it's more of a love-hate thing. Axl is obviously the type of person who wants things done his own way. He doesn't like criticism, and probably thinks in his own mind he has worked so hard to do the best he could that he doesn't deserve it. It's the hard-core fans, the ones on the forums who are doing most of the bitching, and it's probably frustrating for him.

At this point, he probably does perfer the casual fan. The ones who go to shows simply becuse it's the name GnR, the same people who buy records based on the name of a band as well. There's propbably alot more casual fans of this band than hard-core ones now anyway.

Does anyone get the feeling that the only reaction we ever get from Axl, or anyone associated with him, is abuse and rants, if we even get a reaction at all? I've followed a lot of bands on the internet and I've never seen a group who was more indifferent to their hardcore following.

I realise they don't owe us anything. My parents don't owe me anything either, but that doesn't mean they throw me out on the street. It's not about debts or producers and consumers. It's about being a man and showing a little compassion towards people.

I post a lot here yes, but I also go to the shows, buy the merchandise and defend the band when i hear people badmouthing them. I felt really offended by what Del James said. Does this mean Axl prefers casual fans who just want to hear SCOM, to those people who have dedicated so much time to a band they love?

Just posted something simular to this in another thread, i fully agree with u. I feel offended about both del james and axl rose's recent commets... I go to the shows im able to attend, and feel I have the right to discuss whatever i wan't on this board, without beeing looked down upon.

The sad thing is that with a little effort, Axl could fill a huge void in the rock scene right now.

He just doens't seem like he can be bothered.

Agreed. I think Axl could use some 'new fans', but I'm not sure if he cares, or he's still stuck in the early 90's when everybody loved GnR. We'll find out when the album FINALLY comes out.

He probably just has lead singer disease; much like a lot of people that came before and after him. It would be hard to be grounded when so many people kiss your ass. I do think does care about his fans but he does not know how to reach out to them.

Axl's hate for his fans is the reason why his tour isn't selling . People know he is an asshole to the fans(he's been like this since the early 90's) and want no part of him. He'll get another reality check tomorrow when he plays in front of another 5,000 person crowd. Maybe he'll cut the set shorter this time and go cry to merck about how nobody loves him. Let him keep talking shit to his fans and play in front of empty arenas. When this tour has the plug pulled he will have nobody to blame but himself. YOu can't shit on people and expect them to love you. You are not a God anymore Axl . Different band different time .

Axl's hate for his fans is the reason why his tour isn't selling . People know he is an asshole to the fans(he's been like this since the early 90's) and want no part of him. He'll get another reality check tomorrow when he plays in front of another 5,000 person crowd. Maybe he'll cut the set shorter this time and go cry to merck about how nobody loves him. Let him keep talking shit to his fans and play in front of empty arenas. When this tour has the plug pulled he will have nobody to blame but himself. YOu can't shit on people and expect them to love you. You are not a God anymore Axl . Different band different time .

Harsh...but some truth here.

Umm.. When I saw them during the summer, Axl said (exact words) "We appreciate everyone coming here and you guys are fucking amazin! You're insane, it's awesome!" That doesn't sound like hate to me. Remember that without the Fans Axl could be back in L.A bumming around or worse, i think he feels some gratitude towards us. I also think that he occasionally gets frustrated with people reading too much into everything that goes on with the band. All we need to know, as far as he's concerned is that there is a tour going on and the album is coming this year. Some people have greater curiosity and are not satisfied with such things so they feel the need to speculate and along with good speculation comes negative speculation. Some of the things said in th enegative speculation could be very hurtful towards Individuals so this is to try and encourage it to stop. It most definitely will not entirely succeed as people are people (as a wise man by the name of Ron Thal once told me) and there's always going to be shit like this. As far as I'm concerned GnR is on tour, doing what they do best. I'm happy, so slate me for it if you must. ROCK THE FUCK ON MOTHERFUCKERS!

Umm.. When I saw them during the summer, Axl said (exact words) "We appreciate everyone coming here and you guys are fucking amazin! You're insane, it's awesome!" That doesn't sound like hate to me. Remember that without the Fans Axl could be back in L.A bumming around or worse, i think he feels some gratitude towards us. I also think that he occasionally gets frustrated with people reading too much into everything that goes on with the band. All we need to know, as far as he's concerned is that there is a tour going on and the album is coming this year. Some people have greater curiosity and are not satisfied with such things so they feel the need to speculate and along with good speculation comes negative speculation. Some of the things said in th enegative speculation could be very hurtful towards Individuals so this is to try and encourage it to stop. It most definitely will not entirely succeed as people are people (as a wise man by the name of Ron Thal once told me) and there's always going to be shit like this. As far as I'm concerned GnR is on tour, doing what they do best. I'm happy, so slate me for it if you must. ROCK THE FUCK ON MOTHERFUCKERS!

When I saw him at Inland Invasion he said something along the lines of - You downloading motherfuckers are the reason we have to be here playing tonight.

I felt like offering him a big apology on behalf of all the fans who listen to his music and buy his tickets. If I was near the front I would have given him a warm hug.

I'm pretty sure that was in jest from the tone he said it in, if he felt that badly then he wouldn't be out playing the very tunes that people downloaded.....

When I saw him at Inland Invasion he said something along the lines of - You downloading motherfuckers are the reason we have to be here playing tonight.

I felt like offering him a big apology on behalf of all the fans who listen to his music and buy his tickets. If I was near the front I would have given him a warm hug.

That was obviously sarcasm dude. :unsure: I still don't understand why some people don't understand that particular quote very well. Listen - he has always said good things about the 'downloadign motherfuckers'. I'm also pretty damn sure that he wanted to play at Inland Invasion. If he didn't want to do it then he wouldn't have done it (this strongly applies to Axl). Therefore, that quote actually means:

"You fans are the reason we're playing here tonight"

I really don't need to be doing these sarcasm translations. You guys can really be sensitive about things sometimes. On the other hand, I really did not appreciate Del's comments that much. I sure hope that he isolated a certain group of fans when he said "get a life" and not just the whole damn bunch. To insult, as whole, one of the most loyal fanbases out there in the music business would just really be disconcerting.

Edited by IndiannaRose

Nop thay do care, but wouldnt you be pissed of if you wanted to grow a beard and people were having threads about you cutting it lol etc :rofl-lol:

Axls relationship with the fans seems much like with the old band(and the new band). Sure, he's cool with you...just as long as you stay in your place and conform to his every want.

Too bad we can't just all be accepted as fans, many with differing backgrounds and viewpoints, instead of a flock of sheep needing to be herded back in the pen.

The setlist debate was trivial and something he can give a fun rant on at a show. Hardly something that needed to taken on in serious tone in an article such as that...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I don't think they hate their fans, I think they might get annoyed at the complaining about not singing certain songs, they probably think well we are touring why can't fans be happy with what we are singing.

Sometime it seems like some fans are never satisfied anyway and always have to complain about the smallest thing.

quote name='HisRoyalFatness' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:12 PM' post='1506331']

here

He actually thanks the fans for downloading it.. With a lot of sarcasm. Some say Axl i paranoid.. I would say his fans is even worse.