Are the next few shows crucial?

TheWildheart

I'm including Jacksonville in this.

So far, it looks like Jacksonville, North Carolina, and West Virginia are the worst selling shows of the tour so far. (I'm hearing rumors on this site of about a thousand tickets total being sold for tonight's show. gunsnroses.com has seats available in every section of the arena.) I really hope the band's morale doesn't drop going out there and playing to these venues. The Jersey show is on the 5th, and as far as I know that's a near sell-out, so I'm sure it will be a boost...but these next few shows have me a little concerned...

Edited by TheWildheart

Can I just ask what you're concerned about?

If you're going to the gig, be happy that there will be less people, and therefore more space for you to get your groove on..

If you're not going, what is it exactly that bothers you about the fact that they haven't sold out?

KK x

Yeah well I'll be part of the NJ and NY shows. As much as I think this is only a glorified cover band and as much as I think the new demos/leaks suck monkey balls I will save my final opinion until AFTER I listen to the finished album. I'll be there with my gf. I'll be the guy with the SUPER HOT korean chick.

I'm going to MSG - none of the shows I mentioned.

But don't you think it'll be an ego bruise for them to be coming off of a sold out European tour, and having 10,000+ at 3 of the first 4 shows to be going out there and playing for 1,000 - 3,000 people? It could drop the morale of this band horribly - and THAT'S what has me concerned.

The real concern should be that whomever is putting up the funds for this tour will want to pull the plug because it's LOSING TONS OF MONEY!!!! That's why they pulled the plug on the 2001-2002 tour. You can't go into a 20,000 seat arena and only sell 5,000 tickets without losing money...you have to rent the entire venue out. Also, these smaller markets are great indications that a new GNR record will never be #1 based on the level of interest from people everywhere outside of NY and LA...

3 out of the 4 shows (Tampa, Estero, and San Juan) all had over 10,000+ there, Kaneda..only Jacksonville had the least amount of people so far, and you know as well as I do, that its only because they rescheduled it to Halloween and most people couldn't make it to the show.

This tour is hardly losing money. MSG, pretty much all of the Canadian shows, and 2 of the 3 L.A. shows are all sold out so far, and most of the later shows are selling respectably. Once the album is out, that will only help boost ticket sales. Don't forget to factor in merchandise sales, which I understand is selling amazingly - most of the items have sold out at all of the shows.

Oh, and the plug was pulled in 2002 because Axl no-showed two shows and rioters caused thousands in damages. No other reason.

Edited by TheWildheart

I live here in Greensboro and the radio stations are having a lot more contest for free tickets,lot more than any other concert i've heard about.And insted of the usual 2 free tickets,some stations are giving away 6 at a time.Lots of radio comercials and print advertising around here.Nobody i've talked to seems to give a shit.We got our tickets as soon as they went on sale and I think I could still order the seats right behind me if I wanted to.Could care less about any new songs,everthing i've heard sucks pretty bad,just hoping for a good show.

The real concern should be that whomever is putting up the funds for this tour will want to pull the plug because it's LOSING TONS OF MONEY!!!! That's why they pulled the plug on the 2001-2002 tour. You can't go into a 20,000 seat arena and only sell 5,000 tickets without losing money...you have to rent the entire venue out. Also, these smaller markets are great indications that a new GNR record will never be #1 based on the level of interest from people everywhere outside of NY and LA...

This is a legit concern, though I fully expect the usual suspects to avoid the issue and take aim at the messenger.

Edited by D-GenerationX

Maybe Gn'R/Merck should look beyond the Gn'R fan base and promote Gn'R as if they were something new. They have after all been out of the lime light for years and years and years. To all intense and purpose (bar Axl and the name Gn'R) Gn'R are a new band that could use some promotion :)

There should be posters, bill boards, television adverts and radio adverts etc. Gn'R should be appearing on television shows/radio programs *as a band* talking about *the music* to generate a buzz. Inteviews *as a band* with magazines would be cool too.

I kinda get the impression that Axl thinks Gn'R are big enough and well known enough to not need promotion. When Axl was at the UK Grand Prix this year and was approached by Martin Brundel, Axl just stood there and said as little as possible. Not that i suppose Martin Brundel (ex F1 driver) could care either way ;)

Edited by dobadog

If they refuse to release the new album, this is what they can expect. I don't feel sorry for them.

There options are:

A. Release CD and continue to play 20K seat arenas @ 50-75 bucks a ticket

B. Start playing smaller venues with cheaper tickets

or

C. Go away

--------------------------------

Whichever way, I'm about tired of following this whole saga. If the CD doesn't come out this year, to heck with them. I'll be happy with AFD and UYI and move on. Maybe they can be like the Who and release a new album when they're all old and half the members are dead.

Yeah well I'll be part of the NJ and NY shows. As much as I think this is only a glorified cover band and as much as I think the new demos/leaks suck monkey balls I will save my final opinion until AFTER I listen to the finished album. I'll be there with my gf. I'll be the guy with the SUPER HOT korean chick.

Damn, I now officially hate you more than I hate Del James. :fuckyou::P

Again dude you need to relax. Take a chill pill. Your too negative.

I agree with Kaneda, The no-shows were a big part of the cancellation of that tour but also the ticket sales. I was at the Philly show (Friday) when he did his final no show(LAME). Anyway they droped the WilksBerre date and added the 2 night stand in Philly that Sunday they were playing the Spectrum across the street (Some kind of record thing playing 2 concerts in such a short distance. They were selling tickets for 10 bucks that friday at the first show. The rest is history both shows never got played. The following dates all sold pretty bad after Philly they were playing the MCI Center in DC and they still had floor seats the day before the schedualed show. I ended giving Axl another chance and seen him up at the Hammerstein in NYC and it was an amazing show. When your so excited and wait years and years to see your favorite band and the lead singer don't show up thats the biggest fuck you in your face. Then he never came out and said he was sorry or gave an explanation so I lost a lot of respect for him after that. Anyway enjoy the shows

With so little promotion, and no CD release date, or public hype, GNR is going to have to start from the bottom up, just like in the early days.

Someone called 'RR Mafia' (from another site) wrote:

I think what Guns n Roses are trying to do is let things happen organically. They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats. I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

You wrote "from the bottom up", RR Mafia wrote "acting like an undergroundband". At the end of the day, if that's the new approch, then Axl should have used a new band name and reverted back to his real name William.

The way i see it, Axl has kept the name Guns N'Roses to help the new band gain as much free press as possible. This has acted like a double edged sword. Sure the band has got their free publicity, and sure many have moaned that this is not Guns N'Roses. On the up side, for all the doubters, there's many who like the new band.

Edited by dobadog

With so little promotion, and no CD release date, or public hype, GNR is going to have to start from the bottom up, just like in the early days.
Someone called 'RR Mafia' (from another site) wrote:

I think what Guns n Roses are trying to do is let things happen organically. They seem to be acting like they are an underground band and when they drop their album they want the people to come to them, instead of trying to shove it down the publics throats. I think that is very commendible considering how big the Guns n Rose name once was.

You wrote "from the bottom up", RR Mafia wrote "acting like an undergroundband". At the end of the day, if that's the new approch, then Axl should have used a new band name and reverted back to his real name William.

The way i see it, Axl has kept the name Guns N'Roses to help the new band gain as much free press as possible. This has acted like a double edged sword. Sure the band has got their free publicity, and sure many have moaned that this is not Guns N'Roses. On the up side, for all the doubters, there's many who like the new band.

I know the guy. I think this *could* work and be very interesting - relaunch the band Appetite-style. But again there will be trouble even coming close to the original days of GN'R. The fact that this tedious version of the band is "the back-up plan" only makes matters worse, and if the tour is pulled, what will V3 of the band be like? Brain and Bucket gone; a bored band playing dated 1980s songs? (*Rumblings* have it that Stinson and Fortus would rather move on to the CD material: and probably others like Mr. Finck do too.) CD is the only thing that matters now.