How long does it take a record label to Print or mass produce CD's and get them on the shelves for public consumption?

welcometothespunkle

I'm just wondering, does anyone know exactly what the schedule might look like when at which point an artist or band turns over there studio masters over to the music label up until which point they are manufactured/mass produced and finally reach the consumer? I ask because I'm trying to calculate when is the earliest possible time this album might be seen or heard of as being "duplicated" for mass distribution and at which time we as consumers can expect this so called suprise by Merck...."you might find it in your local record shop on any given Tuesday." statement.

Edited by welcometothespunkle

They print them? You learn something new everyday. It's like printing money. They must beable to do a lot over night with modern technology and all these new fandangled gadgets. I'm more interested in how long it takes to be downloaded for FREEEEEE off the innernet.

i am not sure how long it takes, but i doubt it takes long. my guess that this has already been done. heh, iv always joked that axl has spent these last few years printing off the copies of the album just so that nobody else gets near it.

on a side not, this may be the largest title i have ever seen for any topic, on any forum ever.

14 Years?

I would rather pay for the mp3s online than buy the cd anyway. Then transfer them to my iPod and mix them up with the Rocky 4 sountrack.

Hearts on Fire

Better

One Way Street

The Blues

Eye of the Tiger

and so on

Ok so you're not going to buy CD when it is released? Comon, show your support for the band and buy the damn thing.

14 Years?

I would rather pay for the mp3s online than buy the cd anyway. Then transfer them to my iPod and mix them up with the Rocky 4 sountrack.

Hearts on Fire

Better

One Way Street

The Blues

Eye of the Tiger

and so on

Ok so you're not going to buy CD when it is released? Comon, show your support for the band and buy the damn thing.

...I would rather pay for the mp3s online...

it takes a long time when ur trying to make a masterpiece but you are insane and want to make nothing less than the best album ever made and what songs u thought were good back in say 1999 your view on the song totaly changes then you decide to tweak with the album more and more and next thing you know century has gone by so yea it takes a bit

let us use some logic here for a second.....

they are touring now ...which basically means two outcomes, that they have an album ready to launch or they are rehearsing as a new band to record again and the album still isnt mastered or finished

nobody really knows anything which i find amazing, how nobody talks about it, why all this sencracy i have no idea, because its not like it will be the "greatest album ever" ...im sure it will be solid but for christ sake somebody say something

Edited by motownjunkie

i dunno how long it takes on a mass scale, but i do know that if yr gonna print say, 1000 cd's, it takes anywhere between 24 hours and a week depending on who you go to.

that being said, i think you can assume that if it was gonna come out on 11/22, they would need to go to press 2 weeks before that.

basically i'm saying "i dont know. but, how about some speculation and conjecture? i've noticed a lack of it on these forums!" ;)

really though, i do know some folks who know all about this shit (not chinese d, but major label style press jobs) so i'll ask if i remember tomorrow.....

Yeah, it usually takes 3-4 weeks from start of printing until you are able to get the first batch in stores. When my band released an album it took 4-5 weeks from the time we sent off the masters to the time we got the first box of discs.

But then again I didnt get express manufacturing or any of the frills, so it could be less than that with a significant budget behind it.

14 Years?

Hearts on Fire

Better

One Way Street

The Blues

Eye of the Tiger

and so on

Yes, we all know nothing beats that highly compressed (90% to be exact) Mp3 crap that you all love listening to. Nothing will beat the original CD in sound quality. But I guess most American's do not care about quality anyway.

I know that depending where you live, releases are burned (the act of duplicating CDs at a manufacturing site can be referred to as burned) in the country they are released...for instance...

CINRAM is the duplicator in Canada, and even though Marylin Manson, GNR etc..are US, the cd's are duplicated in Canada, for Canada at CINRAM.

My band had a CD done there and it took about a month for 3500 copies.

That said..I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just send them out straight from CINRAM. If they were really prepared they'd have the marketing ready to go etc..but with Axl, who knows.

Does anyone recall the length of time between the band saying they were finished UYIs and the time it took for them to be released? That would be a good indication of Axl's feeling of completion, once his recording/mastering process is overwith.

I'm not American anyway. But it's a fair point about the quality. I think I'll get cd copy but wouldn really like to buy official MP3s and I think GNR would be right to have some sorted out cos people will be downloading this thing for free otherwise.

And also GNR missed a big opportunity for not putting out a package of the Leaks as MP3s and some collected live tracks. They could have made a lot of cash.

You know buy the album to download and get a nice folder of the songs and artwork, some videos etc.

According to my calculations

2.3 days 94 seconds. However not factored in is the munchins smoke breaks... assuming that they get one since they are technically illegal aliens and are thus not treated according to US labor law.