What happens to the publishing rights now that Merck has left Sanctuary?

madison

Does anybody know what happens to Axl's publishing rights to the past GNR catalog and future recordings now that Merck has left Sanctuary? The press article said he received no severence -- but it made no mention of the publishing rights. Did Merck get to take the publishing rights with him? Or did Sanctuary retain them?

If Sanctuary retained them, then does this mean Merck has no say in how they're used - which was a concern for Axl in the first place? Does this mean we could see GNR tracks played behind detergent commercials? Just wondering.

I was wondering that also but have no idea. You're pals with Merck. Ask him on a day when the band is not playing.

Didn't mygnr have a little lovers tiff with Merck? :unsure:

I was wondering that also but have no idea. You're pals with Merck. Ask him on a day when the band is not playing.

:unsure: do tell

Didn't madison not get invited to some thing that other people from HTGTH like jarmo got invited to?

I guess I must have dreamt it :mellow:

Edited by Guest

No, my dear. That isn't the case.

I'm guessing you've been spending too much time listening to the bitter - and pointless - rants of a psychologically challenged forum member who we banned.

Without seeing the contract, its hard to say. They may have had a clause that states what would happen in this circumstance, or other similar situations. If not, then Sanctuary would own the rights for the next 20 years.

I'm almost certain Sanctuary would retain the rights but you're correct that there may have been some stipulation in the contract giving Merck control. That would be highly unorthodox and a genuinely stupid error on Sanctuary's part.

I'm guessing you've been spending too much time listening to the bitter - and pointless - rants of a psychologically challenged forum member who we banned.

Oh okay :) You read so much on this forum sometimes you forget the facts from the bullshit fiction.

Seems like you are obsessed with HIM...or is it that you miss him? :laugh:

On topic: as Luvaxl4ever said, maybe they have a clause that prevents Sanctuary to use the GNR catalogue in case they leave, but who knows?.

i think axl would be smart enough to put on the contract that he retains the rights coz if he fucking fougght slash for it, he wudnt jsut sign it over to sanctuary

Dude, Axl sold his rights in a 20-year agreement for about $19 million back in early 2005.

Seems like you are obsessed with HIM...or is it that you miss him? :laugh:

On topic: as Luvaxl4ever said, maybe they have a clause that prevents Sanctuary to use the GNR catalogue in case they leave, but who knows?.

you know he's odsessed about madison NR<, you all hate her with a passion? why not be upfront?.

Unless there was a special escape clause, which there could've been, the rights would stay with Sanctuary and not Merck. And Merck would have no say.

But you have to think Merck consulted in some fashion with Axl before making his decision to leave, so they are probably OK with the situation whatever it is.

Madison's right, Axl sold his publishing rights, so that could be end of story. You have to give up something for $19MM...

Since Geffen put out the records, i'm at a loss as to what Sanctuary do? or rather did do? maybe Axl's only conection to Sanctuary was though Merck. Now that Merck has left Sanctuary, Merck will continue to do what he has always done, manage.

Maybe Sanctury brought Axl out and Axl has handed over all the rights to all pre CD material in return for some mega bucks and to keep hold of all things CD.

/just a shot in the dark. Very much doubt this thought idea :)

Edited by dobadog

i think axl would be smart enough to put on the contract that he retains the rights coz if he fucking fougght slash for it, he wudnt jsut sign it over to sanctuary

Dude, Axl sold his rights in a 20-year agreement for about $19 million back in early 2005.

But that wasn't all the catalogue was it?

But that wasn't all the catalogue was it?

It was the back catalogue and any future material Axl does.

Plus, AXL hasn't left Sanctuary. So it may not be an issue........yet.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

Does anybody know what happens to Axl's publishing rights to the past GNR catalog and future recordings now that Merck has left Sanctuary?

If Sanctuary retained them, then does this mean Merck has no say in how they're used - which was a concern for Axl in the first place? Does this mean we could see GNR tracks played behind detergent commercials? Just wondering.

Very good question. I'm sure Sanctuary retains them, but there would definitely be some sort of 'key man' clause in Axl's contract with Sanctuary giving him an out (although with stipulations and/or money) if Merck leaves the management arm, but publishing is different. Those rights could have gone anywhere (just like they were somewhere else before Sanctuary had them), it's more of an administration and money thing, not so much creative.

It's likely very complicated -- no matter who owns the rights, it's a sure bet that Axl holds some sort of control re: what they're used for (as do the co-writers), but in this case, given Axl's track record of not allowing the material to be used anywhere, it's also likely that Sanctuary has some protection as well. Given the shakey ground that Sanctuary was on when he signed that deal, there must also been thought given to a Sanctuary bankruptcy scenario. If a huge cash advance came with the deal and Axl needed the money (he would have at that time) and Merck was getting his percentage in cash (a good deal especially if you know your days are numbered), then it may well have accomplished the goal at hand, which outweighed any future issues, ie: song placements.

At this stage, seeing as there's no CD, the tour isn't selling that well, there may be problems even with placing Better in the HD ad, and Sanctuary's investors (read: the Bank of Scotland) are realizing they've been bled dry by deals like that, they may be very happy to give it all back -- providing they can get a good chunk of Axl's advance back. <_<