Tommy Stinson

adnan

Let's talk about him for a while. He is by far my favorite Guns N' Roses member. I think I even prefer him to Axl. To call his work with the Replacements good is a ridiculous and blasphemous understatement; this work was seminal, excellent, magnificent, and historically significant. As a matter of fact, I think the Replacements give Guns N' Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, and the Smiths good competition for the title of best band to emerge from the 1980's.

The Replacements, and Tommy as a big part of it, created a legendary garage rock legacy. They were humorous, rockin', rollin' legends. "Let it Be" and "TIM" are without a doubt among the greatest albums of the 80's. This is not to discredit any of the band's technical skills, despite being in a garage punk rock band, they could all fucking play, including Tommy. His little solo bass spots on the albums show amazing technical skill and a superb style that you can only call 'Tommy Stinson'.

Duff was a very good bass player, but there is no doubt that Tommy has bettered him as a replacement (no pun intended). Tommy Stinson is a special, one of a kind musician. Nobody should doubt this.

Rock on Tommy! rock3

Tommy Stinson is probably my least favorite member of new guns along with Finck. I haven't really been able to pick up his bass lines in the new tracks so I can't comment on his playing, but I don't really like his image or persona on stage. I'm not a fan of The Replacements either. They may have been a good band, but I don't care for the music at all, it's just noise to me. He's got nothing on Duff imho.

He's got nothing on Duff.

Have you actually heard full Replacement albums. Duff never achieved that sort of technical mastery, or even basslines half as good.

He is a good "replacement" as Axl says, but the fact tat you said you prefer the bass player to Axl is jusr rediculous. As bass players go, he is definitely securing a great rythem section, best since original, but better than Axl, cmon dude.

He's got nothing on Duff.

Have you actually heard full Replacement albums. Duff never achieved that sort of technical mastery, or even basslines half as good.

I've heard like 3-4 songs, that kind of music just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not really a fan of punk-rock. He may be a better player than Duff, I don't dispute that, but Duff created memorable basslines. I can't really evaluate Stinson's work as a whole, but from what I've heard, it doesn't really appeal to me.

Duff's image and stage presence> Tommy imho :shades:

I love Duff's bass on Right Next Door To Hell.

I think Tommy's done many, many songs that are far better than that. His basslines are great. I hope Axl lets him have a lot of prominent bass, but probably not, judging from the demos. :(

Tommy's by far my least favorite new member. His atrocious plaid garb almost ruins the whole image of the band.

Also, although I know Axl was hiring musicians mostly for their contributions toward the new music, the fact is this is a band with a legendary catalog and for Tommy to have come out publicly(and needlessly) and say he told Axl upfront he didn't like the old band's music doesn't sit well with me. If that's the case, he has to be posing during 95% of the songs at all the live shows, right?

All the others seem like good guys just trying to blend into a new band whereas Tommy appears to think he's a cut above and more Axl's equal. No Tommy, The Replacements do not touch old Guns in any way.

He's the one member I'd like to see out, more for his personality and image than any pure musical reasons...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Tommy's solo album is amazing.

One of my favorite albums, actually.

I totally agree, it is a great album. I love Tommy tod death...favorite new member by far. I was so pumped when I met him! I got his autograph to, it was like the most bad ass thing ever!

I'll say this about Stinson... I do think he's a better player live than Duff was/is. He never seems to fuck up and his tone is strong and more prominent in the mix.

I'm not going to start sucking his cock or anything, though, because he's still just predominantly playing Duff's basslines. He looks like a fucking emo nerd up on stage, too.

So far I haven't heard anything noteworthy in the new tracks. Chinese Democracy has some cool bass, but he's hardly noticeable in anything else. Probably a bit unfair to judge based purely on bootlegs and demos, though.

Once a replacement, always a replacement!

Good one :book:

He seems like a very competent bass player, only thing I can fault him on is his fashion sense which doesnt really matter to be honest.

Monty

I think his style is pretty bad ass myself, unique and different from every other person out there.

Tommys personality is brilliant! He's an amazing character to have in the band and I really like him.

but as far as the bass playing actually goes, I've not been too impressed as its not very prominent.

but I'll wait till the album comes. He could actually be playing as a foil to the 3 lead/rhythm guitarists without us noticing it. Because with a 3 guitar onslaught, its difficult to allow them to come to the fore together, so I think Stinson's bass may be less agressive to allow the 3 lead players to just do their shit.