Sizing up where GN'R are in late 2006.

mwillmz

Obviously the 2002 tour was very brief. But I'm curious to see how sales compare between 2002 and 2006. With still no album or official singles to stir up casual or new fans, I'm guessing the 2006 sales are equal to or lesser than 2002.

Other than the wardrobe changes (and departure of Bucket), some of the fans that saw the tour in 2002 may not feel as compelled to see this tour. I guess GN'R may be picking up some new fans through press releases, word of mouth, demo releases (whoops, I mean "leaks"), and rumors of a 2006 album release. But the resulting ticket sales seem to be the same.

Seems like a long, moody, epic album, no matter how great it may be, won't put people in the seats. I wonder if GN'R has been trying to write a hit rock single this year in order to help their cause. One that's catchy (like the old days) and ripe for massive download on iTunes. I can't see them bursting out of the gate with "Better" or "The Blues." Maybe that's what the new drummer and Bumblefoot had been working on in the studio.

Were the leaks a calculated effort to measure which songs and styles would be a hit? No doubt they've gotten a lot of feedback from this, and the other, boards. Has the feedback we've given on the leaks shaped which songs will go on Chinese Democracy? Maybe us fans deserve a production credit in the liner notes.

7 Tuesdays left.

The most advantageous for GN'R being Nov. 21.

It's amazing how we're possibly this close to the release yet the silence, waiting, and speculating hasn't changed whatsoever.

By now they have to know if this tour is going to be a go or not...touring on Appetite for Destruction with minimal input of the new material without CD even nailed to a drop date? I don't see the big picture here on this strategy. The band is tight... the bugs are worked out...hell they even have a websight now....SO what is/are the issues?

Portland IMO was indicative of many things. You can't play to half filled houses and make all contractual participants happy people. By now they should be selling to standing room only crowds. This tourbus has had wheels on it since May. There is a buzz but its yet to become a roar like it was in 91/92. Maybe that is the plan. Keep this pre-CD tour low key and tightly controlled, introduce America to the new reality..play them the golden oldies to remind them of how powerful a GNR show was and could be. Get that touring band chemistry going and watch this group of fellas gel into a lean mean rock and roll machine.

That being said is also said with wishful thinking and through the eyes of a long time follower of this band. What is the reality with the ROSE colored glasses off?

To little to late? Ho Hum with an American audience that is so used to being complacent and non demanding in thier entertainment choices?. Maybe they need to smack the American audience with a little promotion and shake some hoopla up to get people to see what all this wait has been about? I know that is a huge issue with most of the people in this forum.

Maybe the new band isn't as cohesive as they appear to be and Axl is only going through the motions again like he appeared to be in 02 when much of that tour seemed to be nothing more than to fullfil contractual obligations.....or whatever it was ...and we may never know.

Other than the wardrobe changes (and departure of Bucket), some of the fans that saw the tour in 2002 may not feel as compelled to see this tour.

The departure of Bucket... now that's funny:)

UPDATE: Mainstream fans, and many hardcore fans, THOUGHT BUCKETHEAD WAS AND IS A JOKE. Remember 2002... lots of media outlets calling GNR "Axl's Circus act"?

Haven't heard much of that in 2006. I wonder why.

Oh yea, THE HANDPUPPETED BUCKET WEARING CLOWN IS GONE!

Other than the wardrobe changes (and departure of Bucket), some of the fans that saw the tour in 2002 may not feel as compelled to see this tour.

UPDATE: Mainstream fans, and many hardcore fans, THOUGHT BUCKETHEAD WAS AND IS A JOKE. Remember 2002... lots of media outlets calling GNR "Axl's Circus act"?

Say what you will, Buckethead added a lot to what Axl was trying to establish musically and image-wise in 2002. With him gone, part of the utter originality is gone. They're moving backwards in that regard.

And if you'd listened to the leaks, I can't imagine you could still sit there and so easily dismiss Bucket. TWAT - 'nuff said.

And Ron's outros for The Blues are weak compared to Bucket's, but I blame that more on the restructure of the song - they got rid of the electric guitar scales through the ending.

Nothing changes the fact that Buckethead was Axl's #1 choice for lead guitar. We also now know that he also tried to get Bucket back into the band in vain. Seems like Axl thought he was pretty damn important to the band.

Like it or not, he gave GnR that mysterious/enigmatic edge that Slash had. He had stage presence and was a part of the attraction to the band along with Axl. Atleast hopefully his work will remain on the album...

Say what you will, Buckethead added a lot to what Axl was trying to establish musically and image-wise in 2002. With him gone, part of the utter originality is gone. They're moving backwards in that regard.

And if you'd listened to the leaks, I can't imagine you could still sit there and so easily dismiss Bucket. TWAT - 'nuff said.

And Ron's outros for The Blues are weak compared to Bucket's, but I blame that more on the restructure of the song - they got rid of the electric guitar scales through the ending.

Haha, Ron´s outro!? Richard playing the outro and has always do. :drevil: You see "proof" that don´t exist..

Haha, Ron´s outro!? Richard playing the outro and has always do. :drevil: You see "proof" that don´t exist..

Word.

As for those leaks, I've said it once, twice... a million times... there is no telling who in fact played on any of those leaks. BH's been gone since 2002. We got the leaks IN 2006. Who's to say they weren't done in 2003, 04, or 05?

Nobody has offered any evidence that BH appears on ANY OF THE LEAKS. From what I've heard of TWAT live... I even witnessed the first rendition of it live in NY... I heard exactly what I heard in the leak.

And the puppet freak was no where to be found on that stage.

And I don't care what anybody says on here. So many of you are so called 'hardcore' fans that do nothing but bitch anyway about the band. You may have convinced yourself that BH brought a mysterious or enigmatic presence... but you're in the minority there. When I tried to talk up GNR to my 'mainstream' friends back then and directed them to video and pictures of the band, THEY LAUGHED AT ME. The common theme? CIRCUS.

It was that way with your AVERAGE FAN, it was that way with the MEDIA, hell... I appreciated BH's abilities... but it was sadly THAT WAY WITH ME TOO deep down inside. It's like having Terrell Owens on your favorite football team... you hate him until he's there... you force yourself to like him or be a fan because he's on your town's team... but deep down inside, you know he's just a cancer and a shit storm waiting to happen.

Seriously... WHO CAN TAKE A BAND SERIOUSLY WHEN THEIR LEAD GUITARIST WEARS A KFC, A FUCKING KFC BUCKET, ON HIS HEAD?!?!?!?!

95% of your average fans didn't take him seriously. If any of you did, you're so low on the totem pole you're in the ground.

As for what Axl wants... just because the guy did some genious/legendary things back in the day doesn't exactly make him a genious today making the right decisions. Albert Einstein spent the last 40 years of his life working on 'The Theory of Everything', which amounted to a big pile of nothing, and turned him into a laughing stock within the scientific community at that time. If any of you have a brain on your shoulders, you can relate that to what's going on with GNR right now and I'll spare you the extra two paragraphs of explaination.

BH leaving GNR was the best thing that could have happened, from a logical standpoint, regardless of what Axl wanted.