The Morning after

shades

Sorry axl, Dominating memory was the sound system, it sucked.

When he was talking it was fine, but the band completly drowned you out on the tunes.

Didnt get there until around 10:30, caught the last couple of songs of Papa Roach, WTF.

GNR came on around 11:45

Axl, dont hold concerts in Worcester brother. Its an hour away from Boston, In the middle of an industrial area, only thing open was a couple of little dives close by. It was raining hard the whole way there too which didnt help.

Place was probably 3/4 full, plenty of room on the floor in the back

I dont recommend the GA.

people were being pulled out over peoples heads by security all night because they either couldnt breath, or wanted another beer or the bathroom or whatever probably the 5 hours or so they were in that mess was causing.

This was my 6th GNR show and probably #6 on the best list.

Again, sound system really took away from the night.

On a high note,

There is absolutely nothing on earth that matches Axl's stage presence when he first comes out for WTJ.

thats a fuckin rock moment.

And he knows it too.

Axl, jeans, black shirt, red shoes the usual.

His voice was strong, and he was hittin everything..... but the fuckin sound system, sometimes you could see him singing and couldnt hear a thing, it was that bad.

It seemed to get worse as the night went on.

After 'its so easy' he made some comment about his sound people fuckin him but he was going to go with it anyway. And he went backstage a lot early on trying to get it straightened out.

KOHD was a little weak, Ive seen him nail that song.

Robin Finck solo, Hes good, but not as good as he thinks he is, it wasnt the best I heard him play.

Dizzy fuckin Reed, amazing, amazing solo on the keyboard, Sounded like his personal version of the Stones 'Angie'

That led into "The Blues" as usual, that was cool.

Axl was pretty active but he looks a little tired.

the new drummer, just so so

Bumble Foot, not sure what hes doing there,

Stinson was amazing, decked in plaid

"Better" is a good fuckin song and gets better as you hear it more.

its going to be classic in studio format.

Same with IRS, put the CD out.

Ive never seen so many guys compared to girls at a show, must have been 5 to 1 easily

Luckily one of them was with me :shades:

The womens room was the place to use the bathroom, no women = no lines.

Sam Adams was the fluid of choice, they had some kind of cheap wine back there I think.

I have no idea how late he played, I took off before the end, and So did a lot of other peole.

Sorry no disrespect bro, but the sound system made it painful to watch after a while.

Axl was great, the band just doesn't fit, they're a bunch of wierdos running around doing unnecessary rock moves around the stage, one guy with a fuckin hood on the whole time, Fink had a dress on, one guy in a plaid suit - it was really sad to see the backing group for Axl. Their solos were sloppy and didn't go anywhere, and were barely adequate filler for Axl to take a break...and there were too many of them. They brought the show to a screetching halt. I can see why Axl bought the GNR name, as a marketing tool only - NOBODY would come to see them if it was the Axl Rose Project, especially seeing the circus surrounding him. Why the fuck are there 9 guys in the group? Are two rhythm guitarists necessary? Two keyboardists? Its bloated and excessive and he's self-destructing by going in this direction, then add in the never-to-be-released CD, and he's set for another 10 years of obscurity.

And yes the sound system did suck, by the end of the show, you didn't know when the mike would work and when it wouldn't. I would see them again, but only for Axl and HIS performance.

The AFD songs stole the show, the duet with Bach on My Michelle was fantastic - man that guy has a set of pipes! As I watched the show, I made a conscious effort not to take my eyes off Axl, for fear of the disaster I would see on the rest of the stage.

Bottom line - Axl will always have that presence on stage and is worth the ticket every time, but if you're expecting anything as good or like the old (real GNR) you will be disappointed.

Edited by GeorgeGlass

Axl was great, the band just doesn't fit, they're a bunch of wierdos running around doing unnecessary rock moves around the stage, one guy with a fuckin hood on the whole time, Fink had a dress on, one guy in a plaid suit - it was really sad to see the backing group for Axl.

Well you say that but this current line up is much much improved visually from the '02 one, ok first of all that 7 foot weirdo with the kfc bucket/mask combination is gone, Axl has stopped wearing those hugh jerseys and has a much improved hairstyle - which I think looks better than if he had his hair normal, and Finck has dropped the homosexual like goth freak look, the '02 line up made me feel very embarrassed, sure Stinson and Finck look very distinct but surely thats what gives them there individuality and character?

i liked frank. finck and fortus are cool. dizzy is cool obviously. chris pitman is useless onstage, put him backstage. havent decided over tommy. ron thal seems like a nice guy but his image (why the hell did he have a good on the whole show) and pointless shredding is all useless. he doesnt fit the band. axl put on an amazing show. id prefer the lineup to be:

axl rose

robin finck (lead/rhythm)

richard fortus (lead/rhythm)

tommy stinson

dizzy reed

frank (i don't like brain, frank is more visually distinct)

great to watch last night. terrible to listen to. I cannot believe that axl didn't blow up more at his sound people. when bach came on at the end i wish that axl traded his mic with his. Down on the farm made the night. Such an incredible song live.

i thought that frank's energy was great, but i do enjoy brain's drumming a bit more.

by the way....i was very happy that axl apologized not once but three times to all of us that were in portland.

see you in NYC

Edited by bdog311

shades! :( nothing like Boston '02 then? (best fans review I've read - was hoping similar comments)

Are you going to MSG?

Boston "02" was #1 for sure.

You remember that huh.

I have no idea what I wrote then.

Seems like one big fog now.

4 years ago already, man oh man.

Last night was weird man, started out so fuckin unreal.

But it got to where you couldnt hear the man sing.

couldnt distinuish one word.

It was Still Axl and was still worth the trip.

Dont want to talk anybody out of going, cause it was clearly the venues fuck up.

MSG?

There is a slim possibility.

I want to but ID be traveling alone to that one.

All my rowdie freinds done rowdied on down.

NYC trips are hard to sell.

Edited by shades

Axl was great, the band just doesn't fit, they're a bunch of wierdos running around doing unnecessary rock moves around the stage, one guy with a fuckin hood on the whole time, Fink had a dress on, one guy in a plaid suit - it was really sad to see the backing group for Axl.

Well you say that but this current line up is much much improved visually from the '02 one, ok first of all that 7 foot weirdo with the kfc bucket/mask combination is gone, Axl has stopped wearing those hugh jerseys and has a much improved hairstyle - which I think looks better than if he had his hair normal, and Finck has dropped the homosexual like goth freak look, the '02 line up made me feel very embarrassed, sure Stinson and Finck look very distinct but surely thats what gives them there individuality and character?

Agreed, but still a far, far cry from 91-93. I didn't think it would affect me AS much, but I couldn't handle the gimmicks the back up band was all about. Me and my brother would just look at each other and shrug as those awful solos took place, they really brought the show down. Yes Axl is in top form and for me he is the only reason to go see "GNR". Its like something was missing from the whole experience...and that comes in the way of not having Slash, Izzy and Duff. Guns N Roses is a collective thing in the truest sense, you cannot have the whole thing without all the real parts. While I realize that may never be a reality, it is something that myself and a lot of fans deal with in order to see Axl, who is undeniably a great frontman and always puts on a great show.

He is far more talented than his bandmates - I think that is the problem.

I am almost disgusted that he's called this venture 'Guns n Roses' - its just not the same. But I keep ponying up the money to go see him, regardless of who he's with.

For what its worth, I thought Patience was the best song of the night - he ABSOLUTELY nailed it.

Why the fuck are there 9 guys in the group? Are two rhythm guitarists necessary? Two keyboardists? Its bloated and excessive and he's self-destructing by going in this direction, then add in the never-to-be-released CD, and he's set for another 10 years of obscurity.

Two keyboard players,a horn section and backup singers...now THAT was bloated!

Go to MSG Shades c'mon!!

Cornell? Madison? get yourself to the bar that htgth and members here(I think) are hooking up to.

I went to 3 shows in the summer on my own, you hook up with people - it's all cool!

B)

Hey Subsy - no can do, man. I have way too much going on in my life to make that 5 hr trip for possibly nothing again. <_< I would never find someone from here to go with me in any case - they would laugh in my face if I even brought it up.

Why the fuck are there 9 guys in the group? Are two rhythm guitarists necessary? Two keyboardists? Its bloated and excessive and he's self-destructing by going in this direction, then add in the never-to-be-released CD, and he's set for another 10 years of obscurity.

Two keyboard players,a horn section and backup singers...now THAT was bloated!

Yeah that was dumb too, I think GNR were on top of the entire world in '91, then did that whole thing in '92 with the horns, but then in '93 the Skin N Bones tour they stripped it down again....but always quality throughout those 3 years.