Led Zeppelin

FunkyMonk

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got II, III and IV and every time I see their stuff at the shops I take a quick look and just put it down - they really are nothing special to me, some of it just drags on way too long and gets down right boring. Also what puts me off is Jimmy Page's dubbing every song to hell, sometimes putting 3 of himself over each other, really makes it quite hard to rock out to. People go on and on about stairway to heaven solo being the best solo ever, which is bull shit, I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - it took me less than 2 hours to learn then about a day to get it up to speed - best solo of all time is Another brick in the Wall, the licks are so inovative and genius and constant, when they recorded it they should have cranked that solo, it's amazing to learn.

People overlook what they did because it's so well known. Shit like Kasmir is amazing but you do tend to hear it and just take it for granted oh yeah Zep. But if you havent been convinced go directly to Physical Graphitti cos it still sounds current whereas some older songs sound like an old band.

But songs not to miss

Celebration Day

D'Yer Maker

Custard Pie

Kasmir

No Quarter

but yes and also Achilles Last Stand is Iron Maidens whole career.

I like In the Evening and All of My Love.

I'm gonna put on Dazed and Confused now.

Albums House of the Holy and PG the best must haves.

People go on and on about stairway to heaven solo being the best solo ever, which is bull shit, I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - it took me less than 2 hours to learn then about a day to get it up to speed - best solo of all time is Another brick in the Wall, the licks are so inovative and genius and constant, when they recorded it they should have cranked that solo, it's amazing to learn.

wow, you can copy a solo, good on you :rolleyes:

there's just a slight difference between creating something like that solo and being able to mimic it

But if you havent been convinced go directly to Physical Graphitti cos it still sounds current whereas some older songs sound like an old band.

i actually thought that myself this evening whilst listening to that album

Perhaps I'm looking at this from a biased point of view hence I can't understand why people don't like Led Zep.

What's not to like? As someone mentioned before, they were all highly talented in their respective fields.

Do you not think the guitar work is good? Do you think Robert isn't a good singer?

Do you think the songs are crap?

To me, they are a good old fashioned rock n' roll band with fast rock, slow melodies, kick ass solos both drum & guitar.

You dont' have to think they're the best band ever, I don't think they are, but in their prime they were close to perfection. You couldn't have asked for more in a rock band.

Perhaps they were too perfect and that's why some don't like them...

I wonder though, for those who don't like Led Zep, do you flat out dislike them, or are they not your fancy but you recognise the talent?

I would have to disagree with anyone who said they were not good at what they do.

(Live Aid performance excluded!)

On a side note, my late Gran used to live a few doors down from Jimmy Page. She said he was a pleasant, quiet man. :)

Edited by SofaKingWhat

Well I can't twist yer arm to make you like them all I can say is that they have had a huge impact on the scene at the time and it continues today , you don't need to think they were special or like them , but you've gotta acknowledge the impact that they have had and that they were very talented musicians .

Peace GnR Nation :shades:

ha just letting anyone that cares know that im a converted fan of sorts :)

i just needed to give em another chance and a few dedicated listens. although i wont say they are the best or my favourite band ever. i do like them now. and plus i now have a few albums to listen to them :) thanks for the help guys.

People go on and on about stairway to heaven solo being the best solo ever, which is bull shit, I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - it took me less than 2 hours to learn then about a day to get it up to speed - best solo of all time is Another brick in the Wall, the licks are so inovative and genius and constant, when they recorded it they should have cranked that solo, it's amazing to learn.

there's just a slight difference between creating something like that solo and being able to mimic it

Wow, that had 0 relevance to what I was talking about :o

Two words, dude: The Ocean

I got II, III and IV and every time I see their stuff at the shops I take a quick look and just put it down - they really are nothing special to me, some of it just drags on way too long and gets down right boring. Also what puts me off is Jimmy Page's dubbing every song to hell, sometimes putting 3 of himself over each other, really makes it quite hard to rock out to. People go on and on about stairway to heaven solo being the best solo ever, which is bull shit, I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 - it took me less than 2 hours to learn then about a day to get it up to speed - best solo of all time is Another brick in the Wall, the licks are so inovative and genius and constant, when they recorded it they should have cranked that solo, it's amazing to learn.

HAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAH

Im not even gonna comment, dude, its no use talking to someone who judges a solo by how long it takes him to figure out how to play it.

:laugh: :laugh:

As a huge Zeppelin fan, Presence is my personal favourite. It flows extremely well and has some really great songs on there. It may not have any instant classics like 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Whole Lotta Love' but I'll take Presence anyday over any other Zeppelin album.

For the record, though, I love all Zeppelin releases :)

One of my favorites. Aside from Achilles----Hots on for Nowhere is a brilliant often forgotten gem. Killer guitar work towards the end. For your Life is great as well. Probably my personal favorite too along with III and Physical Graffitti

As a huge Zeppelin fan, Presence is my personal favourite. It flows extremely well and has some really great songs on there. It may not have any instant classics like 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Whole Lotta Love' but I'll take Presence anyday over any other Zeppelin album.

For the record, though, I love all Zeppelin releases :)

One of my favorites. Aside from Achilles----Hots on for Nowhere is a brilliant often forgotten gem. Killer guitar work towards the end. For your Life is great as well. Probably my personal favorite too along with III and Physical Graffitti

Glad someone shares my love for Presence. Considering the circumstances when it was recorded, it just sounds like there are no inconsistencies. Every track has the feeling of completion to it.

Wow, that had 0 relevance to what I was talking about :o

to quote the poster below you

Im not even gonna comment, dude, its no use talking to someone who judges a solo by how long it takes him to figure out how to play it.

I may be the only one here who goes nuts for In Through The Out Door. I love that album.

I love it too. There are some very unique songs on that album. Especially a song like 'Carouselambra' which moves all over the place. The slower part around 4:30 always gets to me.

I may be the only one here who goes nuts for In Through The Out Door. I love that album.

I love it too. There are some very unique songs on that album. Especially a song like 'Carouselambra' which moves all over the place. The slower part around 4:30 always gets to me.

A hidden gem, definitely. I love the groove of the verses. Bonham is just kicking ass on it. Same with Fool In The Rain.

Two words, dude: The Ocean

:laugh: :laugh:

Actually no, I judge a solo on it's overall content and original use of licks - eg. my commenting on the another brick in the wall solo. But nice try, next time I want to be fake laughed at by an up himself prick who can't interpret sentences I'll just send you a PM.