Led Zeppelin

FunkyMonk

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I'm going to let this thread serve as my consolation, to all those, especially you^, that I have jousted with in discussions about this band.

Overall, they were great. Most of the music they put out was intense and beautiful, and each member was gifted. I have alot of respect for Led Zeppelin, despite my inclinations towards original Blues artists. They rocked.

when i first heard a led zep cd i wasnt very impressed either. the only song i liked was stairway. but after a while i became really hooked and i realised why people liked them so much. if you listen to the drumming and guitar riffs carefully you can see how talented they are. and then i realised that plant was hitting some really high notes when he sang. dazed and confused is an awesome song, i think its their second best behind stairway

the best rock band ever definetly.

care to explain why?

Well, for one, the group was made up of one of the most influential drummers of all time, one of the most influential bass players of all time, one of the most influential guitarists of all time and one of the most influential singers of all time. They were all ridiculously talented in their particular area.

Along with Sabbath, they were largely responsible for spawning heavy metal, and have influenced in some way or another the majority of rock bands ever since.

They tapped into a wide range of genres, ranging from heavy metal to folk to pure blues, and were able to produce album after album full of killer songs, not to mention being one of the best live acts ever

See thats what i don't get, influentual?

They certainly didn't do anything new as far as i see it.

Kieth Moon and John Entwistle were a much more talented and influentual rythym section than Led Zeps, and they had been doing for almost a decade before Zep came along.

Clapton and Beck were much better, influentual and innovative guitarists than Page. Clapton was using large amounts of distortion before anyone else, and meshed the blues into rock before many others.

I think Led Zeppelin were sort of a 3rd wave of British invasion. They weren't doing anything new that Cream, Beatles, Stones, Ten Years After, Yardbirds, Deep Purple etc had already done.

And whats so Metal about Led Zep anyway? Deep Purple and Sabbath are much more Metal.

For starters Keith Moon and Entwistle are not more talented or more influential that Bonham or John Paul Jones. Bonham is considered the best rock and roll drummer by many educated percusion players. John Paul Jones was one of the top session bass players of the 60's. He played on some of the Rolling Stones early recordings. Let's not forget his keyboard and mandolin playing skills either. He was much more to Led Zeppelin than just a bass player.

Secondly Clapton and Beck are not better, more influential, or more innovative than Jimmy Page. Clapton is a great lead player but his rhythm playing was not that impressive untill the last 15 years or so. Jimi Hendrix used to make fun of Clapton because all he used to play was lead. Page on the other hand (like Hendrix) plays lead and rhythm at the same time. Which is much more difficult. I agree Beck is a great player but not as good as Page. Beck is great some nights and vary sloppy other nights. He is not consistant. Page, Clapton, and Beck all came on the music scene at the same time. Clapton made it famous first, but Page was the top session guitar player in England during the 60's. He played on records by the Stones, The Who, The Kinks just to name a few. He was the top "hired gun" of the time. From a compisitional stand point Page is by far the best. His originial compisitions include Stairway to heaven, THe rain song, Over the hills and far away, Kashmir, The battle of evermore, ramble on, and D'yer Mak'er just to name a few. These pieces are much more intricit, beautiful, and memoriable than anything Clapton or Beck have ever done. And let's not forget soloing ability. Page can tear up a guitar with greater ease than Clapton or Beck. Page's solos are much more memoriable than either Clapton's or Beck's. Clapton hasn't done a good guitar solo since he left Cream. Every solo he did after Cream is crap in my opinion. He is completly over rated. Beck is a great soloist but they are not nearly as memoriable as Pages. Page has distinct tone and style that is completly unique to him. In my opinion he is the best guitar soloist ever. If you disagree go watch the zeppelin dvd box set. Page plays like a man possesed in those performances. The only downside to Page is that he got way more into drugs than Clapton or Beck and they did affect his playing. After Zeppelin broke up Page's guitar work has not been vary impressive. Right now, today Clapton and Beck probably are better players, but at their best Page was far superior. And finally Clapton bought his first fuzz box (distortion pedal) from the man who originally made it for Page. Page told Clapton and Beck where to go and get one.

Thirdly, Led Zeppelin was the most talented and one of the most creative rock bands ever. Every member of Led Zeppelin are considered to be one of the best ever at their givin instrument. That's partly why the are so influential. Another reason is that every rock band to follow Led Zeppelin has been severly influenced by them. Guns n' roses, metallica, ac/dc, Van Halen, Nirvana, pearl jam, alice in chains, aerosmith, kiss, and countless others were completly influenced by zeppelin. Then other bands were influenced by the bands I just mentioned so even if a band doesn't like Led Zeppelin (which every rock band does) they are still influenced by them some how.

Finally, yes the beatles, stones, Hendrix, Cream, and Ten years after were first. but they were not nearly as "balls to the wall" as Zeppelin was. Led Zeppelin was the meanest, heaviest, baddest thing on the block. And heavy to Zeppelin wasn't volume it was an attitude. They invented the whole sex, drugs, and rock and roll attitude. Before Zeppelin rock and roll was all peace and love not sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The Yardbids were similiar to Zeppelin but thats because Zeppelin was formed from the yardbirds. Jimmy Page wrote Dazed and Confused while he was a member of the yardbirds and their are some yarbirds performances of Dazed and confused that do exist. Led Zeppelin's originial name was the new yardbirds. Deep Purple came way after Zeppelin so how could they influence Zeppelin? And Zeppelin's first album came out a few months before Black Sabbath's first album so Led Zeppelin I is the first hard rock/ heavy metal album ever. All though I don't consider Zeppelin to be a heavy metal band, they did create the hard rock genre

Hopefully you guys can understand Zeppelin a little bit better now.

Well said.

I'd like to add that while Purple had some good albums, they were mostly a hit or miss band.

To say that Purple were on par with Zep, they would've had to had a great album with every album they released. And that was very much not the case. Their first 3 albums were forgettable. Shades, Book Of Talesyn, and Deep Purple went largely unnoticed outside of the hit Hush. In Rock came next and was massive, really put them on the map, Fireball was a mediocre followup and they lost some ground, Machine Head is among one of the greatest rock records ever, but the next one, Who Do We Think We Are? was cringe-worthy. Then came a big lineup shuffle, and Burn was a return to form, but the next 2 Stormbringer, and Come Taste The Band were just the last gasps of a dying band. They broke up not long after...

I know they reunited in 84 or 85, but it'd be hard to compare their 80s output to Zep's non-output in that decade.

care to explain why?

Well, for one, the group was made up of one of the most influential drummers of all time, one of the most influential bass players of all time, one of the most influential guitarists of all time and one of the most influential singers of all time. They were all ridiculously talented in their particular area.

Along with Sabbath, they were largely responsible for spawning heavy metal, and have influenced in some way or another the majority of rock bands ever since.

They tapped into a wide range of genres, ranging from heavy metal to folk to pure blues, and were able to produce album after album full of killer songs, not to mention being one of the best live acts ever

Kieth Moon and John Entwistle were a much more talented and influentual rythym section than Led Zeps, and they had been doing for almost a decade before Zep came along.

Clapton and Beck were much better, influentual and innovative guitarists than Page. Clapton was using large amounts of distortion before anyone else, and meshed the blues into rock before many others.

I think Led Zeppelin were sort of a 3rd wave of British invasion. They weren't doing anything new that Cream, Beatles, Stones, Ten Years After, Yardbirds, Deep Purple etc had already done.

And whats so Metal about Led Zep anyway? Deep Purple and Sabbath are much more Metal.

For starters Keith Moon and Entwistle are not more talented or more influential that Bonham or John Paul Jones. Bonham is considered the best rock and roll drummer by many educated percusion players. John Paul Jones was one of the top session bass players of the 60's. He played on some of the Rolling Stones early recordings. Let's not forget his keyboard and mandolin playing skills either. He was much more to Led Zeppelin than just a bass player.

Secondly Clapton and Beck are not better, more influential, or more innovative than Jimmy Page. Clapton is a great lead player but his rhythm playing was not that impressive untill the last 15 years or so. Jimi Hendrix used to make fun of Clapton because all he used to play was lead. Page on the other hand (like Hendrix) plays lead and rhythm at the same time. Which is much more difficult. I agree Beck is a great player but not as good as Page. Beck is great some nights and vary sloppy other nights. He is not consistant. Page, Clapton, and Beck all came on the music scene at the same time. Clapton made it famous first, but Page was the top session guitar player in England during the 60's. He played on records by the Stones, The Who, The Kinks just to name a few. He was the top "hired gun" of the time. From a compisitional stand point Page is by far the best. His originial compisitions include Stairway to heaven, THe rain song, Over the hills and far away, Kashmir, The battle of evermore, ramble on, and D'yer Mak'er just to name a few. These pieces are much more intricit, beautiful, and memoriable than anything Clapton or Beck have ever done. And let's not forget soloing ability. Page can tear up a guitar with greater ease than Clapton or Beck. Page's solos are much more memoriable than either Clapton's or Beck's. Clapton hasn't done a good guitar solo since he left Cream. Every solo he did after Cream is crap in my opinion. He is completly over rated. Beck is a great soloist but they are not nearly as memoriable as Pages. Page has distinct tone and style that is completly unique to him. In my opinion he is the best guitar soloist ever. If you disagree go watch the zeppelin dvd box set. Page plays like a man possesed in those performances. The only downside to Page is that he got way more into drugs than Clapton or Beck and they did affect his playing. After Zeppelin broke up Page's guitar work has not been vary impressive. Right now, today Clapton and Beck probably are better players, but at their best Page was far superior. And finally Clapton bought his first fuzz box (distortion pedal) from the man who originally made it for Page. Page told Clapton and Beck where to go and get one.

Thirdly, Led Zeppelin was the most talented and one of the most creative rock bands ever. Every member of Led Zeppelin are considered to be one of the best ever at their givin instrument. That's partly why the are so influential. Another reason is that every rock band to follow Led Zeppelin has been severly influenced by them. Guns n' roses, metallica, ac/dc, Van Halen, Nirvana, pearl jam, alice in chains, aerosmith, kiss, and countless others were completly influenced by zeppelin. Then other bands were influenced by the bands I just mentioned so even if a band doesn't like Led Zeppelin (which every rock band does) they are still influenced by them some how.

Finally, yes the beatles, stones, Hendrix, Cream, and Ten years after were first. but they were not nearly as "balls to the wall" as Zeppelin was. Led Zeppelin was the meanest, heaviest, baddest thing on the block. And heavy to Zeppelin wasn't volume it was an attitude. They invented the whole sex, drugs, and rock and roll attitude. Before Zeppelin rock and roll was all peace and love not sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The Yardbids were similiar to Zeppelin but thats because Zeppelin was formed from the yardbirds. Jimmy Page wrote Dazed and Confused while he was a member of the yardbirds and their are some yarbirds performances of Dazed and confused that do exist. Led Zeppelin's originial name was the new yardbirds. Deep Purple came way after Zeppelin so how could they influence Zeppelin? And Zeppelin's first album came out a few months before Black Sabbath's first album so Led Zeppelin I is the first hard rock/ heavy metal album ever. All though I don't consider Zeppelin to be a heavy metal band, they did create the hard rock genre

Well...

Your really kidding yourself if you think JPJ is a better Bassist than Entwistle. Entwistle is THE greatest rock bassist ever, period. While other bassists were just playing root notes, Entwistle thought outside the box. His playing is highly intricate and melodic. He was right handed tapping back in the early 60's aswell. He has influenced every rock bassist after him, i bet JPJ learnt alot off Entwistle. And sure while Moon is not technical drummer he was the first drummer to put so much energy and passion into his drumming, no one hit the skins harder than Moonie. Bonham wasn't anywhere near the best drummer of his time, Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer were much much more skilled drummers any educated drummer would know that. ;) Finally The Who were a much better live act (And i'm 99.99% sure Page never played on a Who record) :D

Yes Clapton is far far more influentual. He was the first to use large amounts of overdrive (and im not talking from a pedal, thats the poor mans way) i'm talking Amps cranked to 11 distortion. He was the first British guitarist to sucessfully mesh Blues into Rock. He was the first to popularise the Wah pedal, and IMHO is still the best at using one. I don't know where the hell you are talking about him being shit at rhyhtm guitar, he is great, remember Clapton sings too. Clapton is a far better soloist guitarist, Buy Derek & The Domino's Live At The Fillmore East, you'll hear what real solos are. His solos are more expessive, more emotional, and just darn better. He is an amazing improviser, one of the best. Page can't write songs from the heart like Layla, which is better than anything Led Zep has ever done. Page learnt from Clapton, Beck and Alvin Lee, but he's just shitter than them all.

The greatest claim to fame for Led Zep you say is they "invented" "sex drugs and rock n roll" well woop de doo, what an achivement, too bad it has actully nothing to do with the music they played. Besides, The Stone were doing "sex drugs and rock n roll" and Hard Rock well before Led Zep came on the scene.

Take a listern to Sabbath's debut, it is sooo much heaveir than anything Zeppelin did, Led Zeppelin I is a shit rip off of blues classics and is hardly heavy at all. Helter Sketler is heavier than all of LP I

Led Zeppelin are grossly overrated.

Sorry, but Dazed And Confused alone beats anything on the first Sabbath album.

And to negate Page's influence to the guitar world is just abominable. The dude certainly had a big big impact on guitar playing, and does to this day.

Same for Zeppelin's influence in music. It cannot be denied. It will not be denied.

Entwistle was great at playing the bass. JPJ was much more than just a mere bass player to Zeppelin.

care to explain why?

Well...

Your really kidding yourself if you think JPJ is a better Bassist than Entwistle. Entwistle is THE greatest rock bassist ever, period. While other bassists were just playing root notes, Entwistle thought outside the box. His playing is highly intricate and melodic. He was right handed tapping back in the early 60's aswell. He has influenced every rock bassist after him, i bet JPJ learnt alot off Entwistle. And sure while Moon is not technical drummer he was the first drummer to put so much energy and passion into his drumming, no one hit the skins harder than Moonie. Bonham wasn't anywhere near the best drummer of his time, Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer were much much more skilled drummers any educated drummer would know that. ;) Finally The Who were a much better live act (And i'm 99.99% sure Page never played on a Who record) :D

Yes Clapton is far far more influentual. He was the first to use large amounts of overdrive (and im not talking from a pedal, thats the poor mans way) i'm talking Amps cranked to 11 distortion. He was the first British guitarist to sucessfully mesh Blues into Rock. He was the first to popularise the Wah pedal, and IMHO is still the best at using one. I don't know where the hell you are talking about him being shit at rhyhtm guitar, he is great, remember Clapton sings too. Clapton is a far better soloist guitarist, Buy Derek & The Domino's Live At The Fillmore East, you'll hear what real solos are. His solos are more expessive, more emotional, and just darn better. He is an amazing improviser, one of the best. Page can't write songs from the heart like Layla, which is better than anything Led Zep has ever done. Page learnt from Clapton, Beck and Alvin Lee, but he's just shitter than them all.

The greatest claim to fame for Led Zep you say is they "invented" "sex drugs and rock n roll" well woop de doo, what an achivement, too bad it has actully nothing to do with the music they played. Besides, The Stone were doing "sex drugs and rock n roll" and Hard Rock well before Led Zep came on the scene.

Take a listern to Sabbath's debut, it is sooo much heaveir than anything Zeppelin did, Led Zeppelin I is a shit rip off of blues classics and is hardly heavy at all. Helter Sketler is heavier than all of LP I

For starters I didn't say Jones was better than Entwhistle I said he was a bigger part of the band than just a bassists, he played KEYBOARDS and MANDOLIN also. And you are fooling yourself if you think Moon was better than Bonham. The three best rock drummers of the 60's were Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, and John Bonham. Keith Moon was more known for his antics like blowing up his drum set or falling over drunk while playing than for his actual playing. As far as what you said about Page you need to take a rock and roll history lesson my friend. Page was not influenced in anyway by Clapton. They were both well known musicians at the same time. That's like saying Angus Young was influenced by Joe Perry. It's just not so. And for your information when Clapton left the Yardbirds the remaing members asked Page if he wanted to join. They wanted him because Page and Clapton were the best players at that time. Page declined and then suggested his friend Jeff Beck, as we all know Beck got the job. About a year later the Yardbirds were about to break up and Beck begged Page to join. Originially he played bass for them, but he quickly jumped back on guitar. For a short time Page and Beck were both playing lead in the band. I have all of those recordings and they are pretty bad ass. Eventually Beck quit the band, and Page carried on as the sole lead player, untill the band finally called it quits. When the band finally broke up Page was left with all the equipment and the rights to the yardbirds name (kinda like what Axl has with the gnr name) but he decided to start a new band --- Led Zeppelin. Beck and Page were freinds from about the age of 13. So of course they both influenced one another. One more thing about Clapton you said Layla is the better than anything Zeppelin ever did. Yes it is a great song but in case you didn't know Duane Allman plays the outro guitar solo that is heard during the end piano section, not Clapton! I think you need to go do your homework son and get back to me. And yes you are 99.99% wrong because Page did play some guitar on The Who's ealy records. You say Clapton did this and Clapton did that but your forgetting about Mr. Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix didn't think vary much of Clapton because he knew like most knowledgable guitar players--- that he is overrated. I have a Hendrix interview from the 60's were he rags on Clapton pretty hard. Don't get me wrong I do like Clapton, he is probably one of 10-15 best rock guitar players ever, but that's it. Page, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Maalmsteen, Vai, And Satriani are all better rock players. And Hendrix, Stevie ray Vaughn, Robert Johnson, and Albert Lee are better blues players.

And yes Led Zeppelin did invent the sex, drugs, and rock and roll persona. The Stones hadn't yet found their grove. They had released some great songs like Satisfaction, but for the most part they were a poor man's Beatles. Everything the Beatles did the Stones tried to copy. Beatles did Sgt. Pepper the Stones did Satanic Majesty's. The Stones didn't really come into their own untill the late 60's early 70's, and by that time Led Zeppelin was all ready out. You say that Black Sabbath's first album is much hader than Zeppelin's first album, well ok maybe it was, but like I said Heavy wasn't a volume to Zeppelijn it was an attitude. And Dazed and Confused (from Zeppelin I) is just as hard as anything Sabbath ever did. As is Kashmir, In my time of dying, Whole lotta love, Black Dog, Immigrant song, and Nobody's fault but mine. The big difference in the two bands is Sabbath relies mostly on power chords while Zeppelin relies on riffs (in their harder songs anyway). It is really a matter of taste, but Zeppelin is far more intricate than Sabbath. And to say that Helter Skelter is heavier than all of Zeppelin I, well that's just idiotic. Is that the best argument you have?

To summerize, if somebody doesn't really like Led Zeppelin, well that's their perogative, but to say they suck or are overrated that's idiotic. No other hard rock band had the scope, range, talent, or diversity that Zeppelin had. If you like the blues, listen to Zeppelin, if you like hard rock, listen to Zeppelin, if you like folk, listen to Zeppelin, if you like country, listen to Zeppelin, if you like acid rock, listen to Zeppelin, if you like ballads, listen to Zeppelin, this band covered it all and coverd it all better than anyone else. And finally if you don't like Led Zeppelin then you don't like great guitar driven rock and roll.

To summerize, if somebody doesn't really like Led Zeppelin, well that's their perogative, but to say they suck or are overrated that's idiotic. No other hard rock band had the scope, range, talent, or diversity that Zeppelin had. If you like the blues, listen to Zeppelin, if you like hard rock, listen to Zeppelin, if you like folk, listen to Zeppelin, if you like country, listen to Zeppelin, if you like acid rock, listen to Zeppelin, if you like ballads, listen to Zeppelin, this band covered it all and coverd it all better than anyone else. And finally if you don't like Led Zeppelin then you don't like great guitar driven rock and roll.

That's a great summary. Zep kicked as because of all those reasons.

On the subject of them making the UK Hall Of Fame, yeah it's great and all, but we don't really need hall of fame accolades like that to know that Zeppelin was one of the greatest. It's like giving water a prize for being wet...

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

care to explain why?

Led Zepplin IS Rock and Roll.... This argument is over.

berry1ty7.jpg

That's going a tad too far shadezalicious.

ok honestly, i just cant get into Zeppelin. the only 3 songs that i can actually name that i like are immigrant song, stairway to heaven and tangerine.

i just never could see anything brilliant or mindblowing :( i just never was like ' :o ' when i listened to them. ive got 3 albums and i dont know.......

help me?

That's it, your metal card is being revoked.

ok honestly, i just cant get into Zeppelin. the only 3 songs that i can actually name that i like are immigrant song, stairway to heaven and tangerine.

i just never could see anything brilliant or mindblowing :( i just never was like ' :o ' when i listened to them. ive got 3 albums and i dont know.......

help me?

That's it, your metal card is being revoked.

:o ..................... :question:

care to explain why?

Well...

For starters I didn't say Jones was better than Entwhistle I said he was a bigger part of the band than just a bassists, he played KEYBOARDS and MANDOLIN also. And you are fooling yourself if you think Moon was better than Bonham. The three best rock drummers of the 60's were Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, and John Bonham. Keith Moon was more known for his antics like blowing up his drum set or falling over drunk while playing than for his actual playing. As far as what you said about Page you need to take a rock and roll history lesson my friend. Page was not influenced in anyway by Clapton. They were both well known musicians at the same time. That's like saying Angus Young was influenced by Joe Perry. It's just not so. And for your information when Clapton left the Yardbirds the remaing members asked Page if he wanted to join. They wanted him because Page and Clapton were the best players at that time. Page declined and then suggested his friend Jeff Beck, as we all know Beck got the job. About a year later the Yardbirds were about to break up and Beck begged Page to join. Originially he played bass for them, but he quickly jumped back on guitar. For a short time Page and Beck were both playing lead in the band. I have all of those recordings and they are pretty bad ass. Eventually Beck quit the band, and Page carried on as the sole lead player, untill the band finally called it quits. When the band finally broke up Page was left with all the equipment and the rights to the yardbirds name (kinda like what Axl has with the gnr name) but he decided to start a new band --- Led Zeppelin. Beck and Page were freinds from about the age of 13. So of course they both influenced one another. One more thing about Clapton you said Layla is the better than anything Zeppelin ever did. Yes it is a great song but in case you didn't know Duane Allman plays the outro guitar solo that is heard during the end piano section, not Clapton! I think you need to go do your homework son and get back to me. And yes you are 99.99% wrong because Page did play some guitar on The Who's ealy records. You say Clapton did this and Clapton did that but your forgetting about Mr. Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix didn't think vary much of Clapton because he knew like most knowledgable guitar players--- that he is overrated. I have a Hendrix interview from the 60's were he rags on Clapton pretty hard. Don't get me wrong I do like Clapton, he is probably one of 10-15 best rock guitar players ever, but that's it. Page, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Maalmsteen, Vai, And Satriani are all better rock players. And Hendrix, Stevie ray Vaughn, Robert Johnson, and Albert Lee are better blues players.

And yes Led Zeppelin did invent the sex, drugs, and rock and roll persona. The Stones hadn't yet found their grove. They had released some great songs like Satisfaction, but for the most part they were a poor man's Beatles. Everything the Beatles did the Stones tried to copy. Beatles did Sgt. Pepper the Stones did Satanic Majesty's. The Stones didn't really come into their own untill the late 60's early 70's, and by that time Led Zeppelin was all ready out. You say that Black Sabbath's first album is much hader than Zeppelin's first album, well ok maybe it was, but like I said Heavy wasn't a volume to Zeppelijn it was an attitude. And Dazed and Confused (from Zeppelin I) is just as hard as anything Sabbath ever did. As is Kashmir, In my time of dying, Whole lotta love, Black Dog, Immigrant song, and Nobody's fault but mine. The big difference in the two bands is Sabbath relies mostly on power chords while Zeppelin relies on riffs (in their harder songs anyway). It is really a matter of taste, but Zeppelin is far more intricate than Sabbath. And to say that Helter Skelter is heavier than all of Zeppelin I, well that's just idiotic. Is that the best argument you have?

Entwistle can also play Trumpet too, (and very well i might add) so there :P I never said Moon was the best drummer around, but he certainly had the most energy and will always be remember for it, his drumming IS very good though, you should have a listern properly one day. Baker and Mitchell were very good drummers i must admit, but technically they were not the best, Michael Giles from King Crimson was leagues ahead in technical skill, just listern to 21st Century Schiziod Man (btw was done in 1969 and it proberly one of the most revolutionary songs of all time)

Clapton made it big long before Page ever did, Clapton was the No.1 English guitar hero in the mid sixties (ever seen pics of the graffiti in London in the 60's that said "Clapton Is God"?) Just because they were around at the same time doesn't mean Page wasn't influenced by Clapton, of course he would of been. Clapton was the first, like have said, to do many things, many which Page did later in his career too. And i fully know the story of the Yardbirds you dont need to tell me.

You need to do you homework buddy because the coda is by Allman AND Clapton, there is two guitars playing, Duane and Eric jammed together on it. Duane did play the Slide solo halfway though. Listern to Live at the Fillmore East though, no Duane there, only Eric and solo after solo he is amazing, you cannot judge Clapton until you have heard that album its him at his best.

And what Who songs exactly did Page play on?

Jimi didn't like Clapton? are you joking! they were very good friends, you need to read up on your rock n roll history buddy. Clapton freely admits that Jimi was better than him anyway. There was a little tension between the two at the start, after all they were the two most famous guitarists in London at the time, but they went on to become very good friends.

How is Clapton is overrated when he has done more for blues rock guitar than almost anyone else?

Heavy is in the attitude? sorry but that doesn't make sense, Heavy IS Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, listern to it mate it IS the beginning of Metal as we know it, Dazed and Confused is not a Metal song, it isn't even Hard Rock. Of course Sabbath used power chords, that was their style, heavy, grinding, distorted music and it became the blueprint for Metal.

I never said they suck, i do own all their albums, i just find them grossly overrated. If i wanted to listern to Blues, i defantly would NOT listern to Led Zep i would listern to some real Blues, same goes for Folk, Country and Acid music. Sure they might of dabbled a but in other genres, but for the most part it was poor efforts that didn't sound convincing at all.

Finally i love guitar driven rock, its what i live by, but i don't like Led Zeppelin, so there.