Does this band really need 3 guitar players????

rockstar81

I went to a newGN'R show and honnestly I think they don't need 3 players. 2 are enough. I will go with the Fiink/Fortus duet (no disrespect to bbf).

With 2 guitar players, there would be more chemistry between them, it would work as a duet, the sound would be clearer (you would hear clearly each players), there would be less long solos etc...

Edited by rockstar81

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Dizzy and Pittman usually synth in extra guitar. So yeah, it's necessary.

So there could potentially be 4 fucking guitars going? That's never necessary, I'd be down with Finck and Fortus, Bumble must go.

Why? Bumble's more talented than either of them. I think three guitars is fine, no one complains at maiden for a three guitar attack, i think it's effective as each adds their own dynamic to the sound. Guns only needs two guitars but three makes them shine.

Actually, Dizzy and Pittman usually synth in extra guitar. So yeah, it's necessary.

So there could potentially be 4 fucking guitars going? That's never necessary, I'd be down with Finck and Fortus, Bumble must go.

Why? Bumble's more talented than either of them. I think three guitars is fine, no one complains at maiden for a three guitar attack, i think it's effective as each adds their own dynamic to the sound. Guns only needs two guitars but three makes them shine.

I just hate Bumblefoots style, he's one of those mindless freakout shredder types and has no taste or ear for development or anything. I like Finck because he's got soul even though he fucks up sometimes, and Fortus is just a really solid rock gutiarist. I'd say those two guitarists, and get rid of Dizzy and keep Pitman, this band would be a lot better off.

I just hate Bumblefoots style, he's one of those mindless freakout shredder types and has no taste or ear for development or anything. I like Finck because he's got soul even though he fucks up sometimes, and Fortus is just a really solid rock gutiarist. I'd say those two guitarists, and get rid of Dizzy and keep Pitman, this band would be a lot better off.

Hmm Bumblefoot's saving grace is the diversity of styles he can play in. Shred isn't mindless, it's the most difficult style of lead guitar to master. People who call it "Mindless" are just jealous because they can't shred so they put it down. Ron's admired by Joe Satriani..... got to count for something.

no band needs 3 guitar players.

2 is more than enough. 1 keyboard is enough.

but hey, if axl wants three guitarists, he can have 'em. it is distracting though:3 guitarists exchanging solos while bombs go off and axl leaves the stage for a breather kind of leaves you with a "huh?" vibe. also, it's hard to really get into one guitarist when there's 3 of them....it kinda leaves the whole guitar experience spread thin....i think it's better to just focus one rhythm and one lead.

as great as bbf is, i'm just not into that type of playing, so he would be the odd man out to me if axl were to say "hey. you. get rid of one of these guys."

after that, let finck play 2nd fiddle to fortus.

fortus is the best player in the band. he should wear a shirt that says "watch for falling badass".

Ron pretty much made the show last night at MSG with his playing he adds so much. 3 guitarists adds tons of depth being that they arent playing heavily distorted metal in which the disotrtion adds the depth, they do need that 3rd guy. And Finck has the stage presence and does more interacting with the fans than Axl actually does.

Reading this thread with all the "fuck off's" has made me laugh. Either way you look at it, you can't have the old Guns N'Roses back, and you'll have to take the new line up for what they are, or go and like other bands. To all the people that dislike Robin, sure he is different (not better, not worse) than Slash, but he is (now that Buckethead has quit Guns) my farourite member of the new line up. I don't really care much for Tommy Stintion or Bumble Foot. Dizzy Reed's doing a good job, but he could be replaced with ease at any time and the same goes for the drummer(s). I'm pretty neutral where Chris Pittman is concerned. Sure he is adding a layer of weird and wonderful sound fx to Guns N'Roses. He could probably add something extra to the old back catalogue of Guns N'Roses tracks, but does Guns N'Roses need the electronic synth sounds?

Edited by dobadog

Honestly, as much as Finck can drive me nuts with his crappy soloing and silly looking movements on stage, you can't get rid of him because from what we know the man is key to writing new material. And his contributions to the new songs are very good. Finck could only be replaced if someone like Slash comes in - and guess what, that's not happening.

Bumblefoot cannot be replaced because he handles the solos Bucket created. They fucking rock and must stay, so unless you want to bring Bucket back (who doesn't want to), BBF stays. He's a pleasure to watch, his Don't Cry solo is fantastic and is really the only solo played that I care about.

Fortus would be the most expendable. BBF could handle all the solos while Finck plays rhythm. Or, when Finck leads, BBF does rhythm. You can't choose your favourites when you make this type of call. You need to look at what is unique that each guitarist brings to the table. Fortus doesn't bring anything that they can't do without (unless he has a large role in writing new material that we don't know about). What Fortus does well is that he's a very efficient player. He certainly doesn't hurt the band.

But the whole point is moot anyways since the way they have written the songs and they sound they want to achieve calls for three guitarists. Nobody is going anywhere, at least for now.

Edited by KBear

Hmm Bumblefoot's saving grace is the diversity of styles he can play in. Shred isn't mindless, it's the most difficult style of lead guitar to master. People who call it "Mindless" are just jealous because they can't shred so they put it down. Ron's admired by Joe Satriani..... got to count for something.

I can play fast but I wouldn't say I can shred, but I could learn if I want. I just choose not to, because its lame and serves no purpose other than "hey, look what I can do!!!" Its not about how many notes you can play in a short amount of time, its what you're saying with the notes. I couldn't be less jealous of shred guitarists, honestly. In fact I kind of pity them, I feel like they're missing out on what music is about.

No !! :P

I bet if there were only 2 guitars you couldn`t

even hear the difference. But hey it`s Axl band

if he wants to have 3 guys on the keyboards

, 2 drummers or 5 girls who play bongos on

stage it will happen.

For me 5 People in a band is enough like

the original gnr was.