Does this band really need 3 guitar players????

rockstar81

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they?

well they got two keyboardists, two drummers, basically two vocalists if you were to count baz, so

three guitarists and tommy is about right... :P

on a side note: I think it'd be cool if Mr buckethead or saul hudson made a surprise visit to Camp Guns, ya'kno just for the fuck of it, like izzy did earlier this year. Just a couple tunes played live would suffice. Bucket used to play the most amazing night train riff.

The Guns have always been a revolving door and that

is one aspect a die hard fan can appreciate. I remember once hearing that finck left the band to rejoin trent and i was bum'd out about it because i had heard robin playing with axl and he rocked. Then i heard that finck rejoined Guns and he's been there ever since. If robin bailed out now i'd be pissed, sorta like i was when slash n bucket split.

you get used to the new dudes as the years pass by and i'd have to say that's a good thing because i've really enjoyed the music they've shared with us over the years.

ooops

i wouldn't miss robin one bit, ron and fortus crush him in every aspect, ESPECIALLY songwriting.

Piss off...'Better' is one of the best new songs and Robin wrote that. The material hasnt been released yet and always already got one winner.

Hes had no solo project because Chinese Democracy is it. Its what hes been working on for 9 years. I think from what weve heard Robins has oodles of talent already.

sure it's an ok song, a little cliche for my taste, (i was really hoping CD would be cliche-free, especially with BH and BBFs help) and i'd bet it'd sound lame as fuck without axl. fortus and ron have better, MUCH better in their repertoires. :book:

to be fair, robin has better in his repertoire too... unfortunately, that just happens to be the name of the song :P

Edited by quadlaser

People will hate me for saying this, but if one of them had to go - guitarists, that is - I'd say Bumblefoot. He's a great guy, and really nice and approachable. That's also why he doesn't seem to fit the band, in a way. He strikes me as more of a solo artist, and not a "big band" guy. I definitely appreciate all the time he spends talking with us, but that doesn't mean I have to think he's vital to the band. Personally, I'm not all that into his actual music itself. He is a technical player, and you can tell by listening to his solos on songs like YCBM - it's not the bluesy soloing that Slash and Buckethead could both pull off (BH was technical, but he also had a way of shifting into different styles of music - go listen to Electric Tears and compare it to Bucketheadland; the difference in playing is enormous).

I'm split on Finck. After hearing the demos, I think in studio he's definitely got a very distinct style that works. And he has a similar style to Slash with the way he bends his notes very often, but I think his leans more towards being kinda "out there" and different - like a techno-funk NIN. (And he was the guitarist for that band, after all.)

I think he adapts to fit the styles of the old songs while performing live, and that's why sometimes he "butchers" (as everyone else always says) lead solos. I think he really shines on the new stuff like Better, TWAT (his first solo on that leading into the BH outro is really emotional), IRS, etc.

It's hard to say until a finished album is out, but I think I far prefer him playing his own material rather than changing his style to fit Slash's.

As for Fortus - what can I say? He may not be all that great, but his image is closest to "classic" GN'R. He reminds me of Izzy, and is a great rhythm guitarist just like Izzy. As a leading guitarist his solos aren't extraordinary - he does well on NR when he plays it - but on rhythm he really shines. He has the same talent as Izzy in that regard - the rare backup guitarist who is vital to a band and really shines. Usually lead guitarists are the only ones who get to "show off" but with Izzy his work always stood out, and I feel the same way about Fortus.

3 is too many. Finck should go.

Greetings all knowing being that has insight into the entire inner workings of gnr and the direction the band wants to go in. Can you perhaps tell me when CD is coming out as well?

Simply voicing an opinion. If you don't agree with my opinion you don't have to try and be a smartass about it, which BTW didn't really have any relevance to what I said.