Can Gn'R afford to miss out on "Black Friday" sales?

Subtle Signs

Ok, for all I know the CD may be out on the 21st. I don't know about that, because I highly doubt a multi-million dollar business like Gn'R is going to quietly release ChiDem. My question is, since a ton of albums are sold on that day, due to sales/price cuts, can Gn'R afford to miss out on that day? Of course we would all buy the album if it was released at 8:21 PM, on November 20th and it was only available at your local pet store. This album will not succeed based on our 30,000 Forum copies bought, but rather on the strength of purchaes from the casual music fan.

Edited by rancid punks

It actually may be better to release it the next week due to the huge volume of CD's coming out on the 21st already. Also if sales for the concerts are any indication the albulm may sell better in the U.K. and Canada first . Canada had there thanksgiving way back in Oct. SO may not really matter.

Ok, for all I know the CD may be out on the 21st. I don't know about that, because I highly doubt a multi-million dollar business like Gn'R is going to quietly release ChiDem. My question is, since a ton of albums are sold on that day, due to sales/price cuts, can Gn'R afford to miss out on that day? Of course we would all buy the album if it was released at 8:21 PM, on November 20th and it was only available at your local pet store. This album will not succeed based on our 30,000 Forum copies bought, but rather on the strength of purchaes from the casual music fan.

Well if that happened, not only would I eat my shoe, but I'd also get a 20% employee discount. :drevil:

Obviously it's better to have the album release that week. I tend to think they want(ed) to do this but if they can't make that date for whatever reason will push it off to the 28th or to December 5th.

I don't think it's a huge problem though. People will buy the album if they like the music. GN'R needs the right song with a great video and effective promotion - this will get people to buy the album whether it's Black Friday or not. Black Friday is not something that motivates people to buy an album, it's just a little more convenient for them if they choose to do so. Wanting to hear songs is what motivates people, and if that motivation exists they will buy it whenever it comes out.

I think, whether they release it on the 21st, 28th, or 5th; a great promotional idea is to air something during the Thanksgiving NFL telecasts. Those two games get huge ratings I'm sure. Something about the new single (i.e. the Harley ad) to air next weekend (the weekend of the 18th) would set things in motion. I have to believe that this is the plan - HD already confirmed that the Better ad would start airing on the 19th.

Edited by KBear