Backstage @ MSG

Guest Edward Rose

Guest Edward Rose

bs1tq9.jpg

My night actually started kind'a crappy. I was at Houlihan's in Penn Station having a beer as I was waiting for the credentials to be brought down by the band, and on the way to the bathroom I hit my head on a tv monitor that was sticking out into the walk way. Really dangerous. So I had what I thought was a big lump on the right side of my forehead near the hair line. And I was planning on buying a hat at the merch counter later to cover it up. But a couple of hours later I was talking to these Brazilian girls back stage (WOW!) and they said they didn't even notice the bump. Funny how a bump on the head always feels bigger than it actually is.

I was at the show doing a personal photography project for one of the band members. "Personal" as in FOR the band member, and never to be sold or made available to the public. It was not only a once in a life time opportunity, but also an honor. Unfortunately for the info thirsty fans, there's nothing juicy in this review. No exact times when so-in-so showed up at the after party, no info on who drank what and how much was consumed, no pictures of any famouos people, and no info on the album. However, I did include a few pics that I don't think are a big deal. And fwiw; if anyone was close enough to the stage, I was the one wearing the red flanel shirt... and my hair is buzzed. (crew cut)

bs2si2.jpg

The backstage VIP area was cool. They had complimentary beer, wine, soda, cheese, fruit, raw vegetable platters and colored nacho chips n' dip. After having only one beer before the project I had to work on that night, I found the band member who I was there for. He was being photographed for a music magazine. We chatted a bit and then he had to go back into the band room to warm up before the show.

As usual, I spend most of my time in this capacity at these kinds of events talking to the road crew, arena employees and women in the VIP area. (But not to get laid... just for good conversation) On this night, it was very special for most of the band members. More than one of them was playing at this venue for the first time in their life. As a result, and also because the event took place in New York City, there were alot of close friends and family members of the band present in the VIP area.

Sebastian's band was great, as usual. It's funny, sometimes he cracks this joke when fans ask him to sign an old Skid Row album. He says, "Oh that's when I was still good looking." But he really looks the same and his voice is still great for his age. And of course, the same with Axl. Which is ironic that Baz is opening for Guns on the tour. It's like, two 80's front-men who still look and sound great.

(Believe it or not, some people skip work to go to a Guns N' Roses concert :) )

bs3yn3.jpg

Guns N' Roses sounded great too, although I was right up front with my teeth near the stage for the first three songs. So I really only heard the monitor mixes. And sometimes I would move to a position and hear Axl clear as hell, then move near another monitor and here Ron clear as hell. But later on, I went out into the crowd for a few songs and they DID sound good. If you'd like a better sound review, I suggest reading Madison's review, which is the first post in the thread.

After the show, I was hanging out in the VIP area. And one by one, all of the band members strolled in to greet their fans, friends and family members. Then at some point when Axl still hadn't arrived in the VIP area, I needed to go pee. After I got back, a security guard near the entrance of the VIP area said, "Axl's in there... no pictures" as I walked back in. (I wouldn't have taken any to begin with)

So I walked over to the "huddle" that was around him, and he was shaking hands of fans. He turned around, I extended my hand with a smile, and said, "Great performance tonight" as he shook it. Then he turned around again to continue meeting and greeting, as I politely bowed out of the huddle and went to get another beer.

At some point later, the party moved to a bar about 20 blocks away. On the way in, I grabbed a fortune cookie out of a bowl. For some reason there were bowls of fortune cookies and Red Hots everywhere. After opening my fortune cookie, I put the fortune in my flannel pocket because I was already too buzzed to read small writing in a dimly lit club. But to my surprise, when I woke up at 4pm today and found the fortune in my shirt, it said "Why I'm here I can't quite remember," which was funny, because by 5 in the morning I was almost to blitzed to remember why I was there last night.

bs4wu7.jpg

I can't say how crowded the place was because of, ironically enough, Fire Marshal issues, except to say that it wasn't uncomfortably full, and people weren't splashing drinks on each other. When I went to the bar to get a drink, I was shocked to find out that this was ALSO an "Open Bar." (Free) I can't IMAGINE the tab that Gn'R management must have had to pick up after the sun came up. And apparently they do this in every city.

So there was nothing really juicy to report at the after party even if I WAS to do so. The band members arrived similarly to the way they did in VIP after the show. Axl was there too, and had a huddle around him most of the time. But as I said, there were alot of personal friends and family members there. So there wasn't anyone asking for autographs and pictures. I spent most of the time at the after party talking to the band member who I did the project for, and also talking to fans. I didn't attempt to talk to Axl because of the personal aspect of this after party mentioned above. (friends and family) And I also didn't really have anything to say, other than I'm a fan of his music and he did a great job last night.

I also can't stress enough, and I know it sounds cliche, that Axl is such a personable and nice guy. In fact, for being a supposed "Asshole," he sure does smile alot. In fact, he was never NOT smiling every time he walked by me or I saw him accross the way. EVERYONE in the band is nice, and I'm not just saying that.

My night ended when I took a taxi to the Staten Island Ferry terminal as the Sun was coming up. Then I fell asleep on the Staten Island train and ended up going back and forth one full trip to get to my stop, which was near my brother's house. He put me up this weekend until I go back to England on Monday.

Please do not ask me any questions. Also, please don't ask me for my fortune cookies because, unfortunately (heh heh), some people just want to sell shit on ebay. As it is someone will probably make fake ones and sell them anyway. But what ever.

I want to thank Axl for picking up the bar tab at the after party, as well as the band member I worked for that night. Also thank you to Merck for making the project I worked on possible.

Guest Edward Rose
wow thats really cool

so we should be seeing pictures on magazines soon?

See what I mean? I KNEW I would fuck up. I forgot that none of the band members have been in magazines yet.

Well anyway, the photo shoot was taking place in an area where any VIP pass holder would have seen it. So I guess since I kept the name of the band member and magazine on the DL, no big deal.

On another note, it's amazing how complex the world of liability is. I think I back-spaced over more words than actually ended up in my post. And it's mainly because of how everyone will exagerate stuff.

The pictures I took:

Actually the people who take pictures during the first three songs already have permission to print/post them. The project I was working on was personal, and cleared by Merck. So I CAN'T post them even if I wanted to. That's why I included random odd pics. Which are actually freeze-fames off my video camera. Except the fortune cookie pic. I took that picture before making the post.

Guest Edward Rose
Kick ass shit Ed!

Gah...I wanna see 'em!

Before I left yesterday, I noticed you were working on doing list updates for the board. Did you ever get it together... did it go off without a hitch?

are u the guy that was outside msg that said he was video tapeing for ron thal?

bs5ht5.jpg

Guest Edward Rose
Well, I hope the project turns out well for you and it is seen when it's ready! Thanks for posting!

It'll never be seen. It's a personal project. It's not anything that fans would be interested in seeing anyway.

Edited by Edward Rose

Before I left yesterday, I noticed you were working on doing list updates for the board. Did you ever get it together... did it go off without a hitch?

Yeah - I got some up 'till I had to get off the computer for the night.

Well, I hope the project turns out well for you and it is seen when it's ready! Thanks for posting!

It'll never be seen. It's a personal project. It's not anything that fans would be interested in seeing anyway.

I wanna see. FNLPC kicks ass btw, I want your stash!

Awesome night by the sounds of it, congrats. :)

Not to take anything away from Axl et al, but the backstage parties always have an open bar, I've never seen one with a cash bar, that would be extremely tacky. :drevil:

That said, most bands have a record company kicking in tour support, so if they're still laying it on without the support, good on em'! (Mind you, it was also MSG, if you don't party there, you're not partying anywhere). ;)

And if Axl wasn't smiling, he probably wouldn't have been there at all. From all accounts, he's an extremely funny and entertaining guy off stage -- until he's not. :devil:

And for the fans wanting to see the footage, I would expect that absolutely everything is still being filmed by the band's crew, that's been the case for years. I suspect you'll be seeing quite an eyeful -- eventually. (Or not :rolleyes: ). Don't know if Ed can confirm the existence of a camera crew, I'll leave that for him to confirm, deny or ignore. :)

If it's concerning a band member, you have instant interest! I respect that it will never be seen. I'm glad you had fun working on the project :)

Guest Edward Rose

I wanna see. FNLPC kicks ass btw, I want your stash!

Thanks. It's long gone though. As soon as I knew I was getting that settlment check, I filmed all of the grow room scenes and cut everything down. Then I flushed most of it or gave it away.

And for the fans wanting to see the footage, I would expect that absolutely everything is still being filmed by the band's crew, that's been the case for years. I suspect you'll be seeing quite an eyeful -- eventually. (Or not :rolleyes: ). Don't know if Ed can confirm the existence of a camera crew, I'll leave that for him to confirm, deny or ignore. :)

Yes, they film every show with about 4 cameras. There's a video production area backstage where they do on-the-spot producing for what you all see on that big screen behind Frank.

Off-topic, does anyone know what picture this is behind Axl? Is this a well known logo? (The Abbey Road Beatles on top of a British flag)

e.jpg

Thanks. It's long gone though. As soon as I knew I was getting that settlment check, I filmed all of the grow room scenes and cut everything down. Then I flushed most of it or gave it away.

Shit, you should of drove it out here, with all the plants you had, I could've made some serious cash. (Of course you'd have got some of it. ;) )

Guest Edward Rose

Shit, you should of drove it out here, with all the plants you had, I could've made some serious cash. (Of course you'd have got some of it. ;) )

But you missed the point. That stuff was equal to a small fraction of my settlement check. It was more important to me to get on with filming and get to England. I was crazy busy in April and May.

Guest Edward Rose
fucking great story man, thanks for sharing

No problem. I was hoping I wouldn't get shit from everyone because I wouldn't post pics or personal stuff. So far so good. I just wanted to contribute something to the Gn'R community. And considering how nice everyone was at msg and after, I think it was best that I DID make the post because everyone should know that. Even security was very polite.

Edited by Edward Rose