Guns N'Roses vs Mötley Crüe

dobadog

while i have heard of Mötley Crüe i have never really paid any attention to them, as i thought they were simply all noise, image, drugs and little in the way of good music. Although i did once read (years ago) something about Mötley Crüe being the ones to beat, and Guns N'Roses being the band to do so.

Lastnight (by chance) i woke up switched on the TV and there was this band playing away. The stage looked like a circus tent, there were pyros going off, there was some crazy looking drummer that looked like a member of Kiss, there were motor bikes on the stage, there were hot girls doing hot things (with angle grinders) and as the camera pulled back there was a huge Mötley Crüe sign hanging at the top of the stage. I have to admit, i was somewhat what impressed. Tommy Lee's drumming was really rather good, he just pounds away non stop (and plays the keyboard for some small moments). All MC's songs seem rather similar to each other, although the audience was huge and loving it. It has to be said, Mötley Crüe's stage set up blows Guns N'Roses out of the water.

Guns N'Roses vs Mötley Crüe

I prefer Guns N'Roses songs

(although after seeing lastnights Mötley Crüe show, kinda like'em now)

Mötley Crüe's pyros, Bikes, Girls and lights blow Gn'R's stage set up away.

Seeing Mötley Crüe lastnight (on TV) reminded me of the old Gn'R and also reminded me of how much the new Gn'R has moved away from that kinda look.

Edited by dobadog

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of both GNR and Motley, and Tommy is may fav drummer of all time.

I've been to both GNR (2) and Motley (1) concerts, and the Motley concert was the best concert I have ever been to. I saw them summer of 05 in London ON, and everyone that went to it that I knew all agreed that it was the best concert they have ever been to. About half of the people that I went with had all been to a GNR concert or two, and all of them agreed that it was better than the GNR concerts we had all been to. I asked them to list their all time 5 fav concerts that they have ever been to, and none of them mentioned GNR in their list - and I happen to know that they are huge GNR fans.

Now, I'm not dissing GNR here at all, I was just totally suprised and blown away (as well as all others that I talked to at the Motley concert) by the Motley concert.

I am seeing GNR Wed in Toronto ON, and maybe my opinion will change after than one, but for now, given the chance to see Motley or GNR, I'd have to say Motley....but, it wouldn't be an easy choice. After Wed show, we'll see.

G

Edited by gd99

Motley Crue is a sweet band. Great stage show and great songs as well. Thy still are smoked by GNR because they are touring with Aerosmith together right now and I'm pretty sure they are playing in ampi-theatres and nothing much bigger.

A8R

Wow...I find this thread offensive as shit. Motley really is just common tripe. Wheas GNR was/is very real.

Just kick back and find some inner peace dude. Motley Crue was a combinations of a hair band and a metal band, which is exactly what Guns started out as, whethar ya like it or not. M C had a better stage show and drummer, GNR had better music and guitarsit...not to mention motley crue stayed together and made a fuckoad more albums, but hey, we can ignore that because alot of them sucked and had lots of fillers on them.

A8R

I could see the crowd being really into Crue. They had a lot more singles than GNR did, and not very many ballads. So the whole show is energy. And to those who think Crue can only draw with Aerosmith, keep in mind that this tour they're on has been going for the last 2 years. So every place Guns is playing right now, Crue has probably sold it out twice since 2004.

Wow...I find this thread offensive as shit. Motley really is just common tripe. Wheas GNR was/is very real.

Just kick back and find some inner peace dude. Motley Crue was a combinations of a hair band and a metal band, which is exactly what Guns started out as, whethar ya like it or not. M C had a better stage show and drummer, GNR had better music and guitarsit...not to mention motley crue stayed together and made a fuckoad more albums, but hey, we can ignore that because alot of them sucked and had lots of fillers on them.

A8R

Someone hasn't listened to AFD lately apparently. Adler on that album is better than anything Tommy Lee has ever done. And the other musicians in GN'R at the time of AFD and UYI were all better than Motley's musicians as well. And Axl is obviously a better singer than Vince Neil (both now and back then).

Edited by GNRfan2008

I could see the crowd being really into Crue. They had a lot more singles than GNR did, and not very many ballads. So the whole show is energy. And to those who think Crue can only draw with Aerosmith, keep in mind that this tour they're on has been going for the last 2 years. So every place Guns is playing right now, Crue has probably sold it out twice since 2004.

I think you're right, the show was all energy, no pauses or technical hitches, and the audience was giving back as much as the band were giving. I've never seen a stage with so much going on on it. Non stop lights, dry ice, flames, fireworks, girls using angle to create sparks of their crotches, girls hanging from chains/ropes and the motorbikes/choppers :D

I think you're right, the show was all energy, no pauses or technical hitches, and the audience was giving back as much as the band were giving. I've never seen a stage with so much going on on it. Non stop lights, dry ice, flames, fireworks, girls using angle to create sparks of their crotches, girls hanging from chains/ropes and the motorbikes/choppers :D

It's all just a distraction from the fact that their music isn't really worth a damn in the grand scheme of things.

Adler on that album is better than anything Tommy Lee has ever done.

Come on now, thats not true at all. Adler was cool and made up some cool stuff, but hes not a very good drummer. Tommy is a much more skilled drummer, and made some way cooler things in all the albums hes played on. Saying that though, he did have alot more time to show off his drumming, Adler had what, 2 albums and 1 song from a 3rd?

Edited by Hendrix5150

Adler on that album is better than anything Tommy Lee has ever done.

Come on now, thats not true at all. Adler was cool and made up some cool stuff, but hes not a very good drummer. Tommy is a much more skilled drummer, and made some way cooler things in all the albums hes played on. Saying that though, he did have alot more time to show off his drumming, Adler had what, 2 albums and 1 song from a 3rd?

Yeah, Tommy Lee...a drumming genius! So much so, that he was clueless trying to do the drum line on his reality show. Those Nebraska kids made him look like a little punk bitch. The song "Rocket Queen" has some kickass drumming in it and I don't think Lee has had laid down any better drumming than that (at least not in the studio).

Edited by GNRfan2008

but, what has Adler done lately?

Tommy, amazing...just simply amazing...listen to "Primal Scream"..

Read my first post over again. I said AT THE TIME of Appetite, Adler was a better drummer than Lee (at least in the studio anyway...Lee is a hell of a performer in a live setting). Adler quickly turned into a drug addict and he pretty much still is one to this day.

Axl Cocksuckers, I can understand but I can't believe how many people who claim to love rock n' roll on this board are knocking Motley Crue. I saw Crue last year in March and I saw GNR 3 times this year and I must say the Crue show was so much better than any of the GNR shows I've seen. Yes, I tend to listen to GNR more. Yes, I do think GNR's music is slightly better. But that Crue show blows any of those GNR shows out of the water. C'mon! They had a midget juggling on a unicycle! You know your show rocks if you have midget juggling on a unicycle!

In all seriousness..... When I go to a show I want the music to be good but I also want a great overall show in terms of pyrotechnics, side shows, stage presence, etc. Sure, GNR's music might be slightly better to me, but the Crue's shows along with their music beats out any GNR shows I've seen these past few years.... As for back in the 80's and 90's I'm gonna take the 5th and say I can't remember them as well as I'd like to.

Damn, it must really suck to be on Axl's cock all the time..... not being able to enjoy other people's music and all.....

I have seen Motley Crue live three times and their shows are powerful and dynamic. They put on a great show and Tommy Lee is a fucking awesome drummer. Believe it or not, he is really awesome and underrated. Having said that, their music is levels bellow GNR. I can't imagine comparing them. But they made some solid music and put on some of the best live performances I have ever witnessed. If you go to a Motley Crue concert you will have a great time....

Edited by smokingarthur

Axl Cocksuckers, I can understand but I can't believe how many people who claim to love rock n' roll on this board are knocking Motley Crue. I saw Crue last year in March and I saw GNR 3 times this year and I must say the Crue show was so much better than any of the GNR shows I've seen. Yes, I tend to listen to GNR more. Yes, I do think GNR's music is slightly better. But that Crue show blows any of those GNR shows out of the water. C'mon! They had a midget juggling on a unicycle! You know your show rocks if you have midget juggling on a unicycle!

In all seriousness..... When I go to a show I want the music to be good but I also want a great overall show in terms of pyrotechnics, side shows, stage presence, etc. Sure, GNR's music might be slightly better to me, but the Crue's shows along with their music beats out any GNR shows I've seen these past few years.... As for back in the 80's and 90's I'm gonna take the 5th and say I can't remember them as well as I'd like to.

Damn, it must really suck to be on Axl's cock all the time..... not being able to enjoy other people's music and all.....

Actually, no. I blame Axl mostly for the old band breaking up. I also think that he's been an asshole way too many times towards the fans in the past for anyone to worship him. I was merely stating the facts that GN'R made music that could be compared with the likes of Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. Motley Crue did NOT. And that is a fact. Just look at the critical reviews. Every album Crue ever made was PANNED by critics, whereas both AFD and UYI (the only 2 real albums GN'R ever made) were both rated highly even by music critics. GN'R had better musicians (by far) and a better vocalist as well. Now? They're about the same in my book (has-beens) until Axl finally releases CD. That may never happen, but if it does, I think his music will be more relevant than Motley Crue's currently is. I actually do enjoy Motley's old music somewhat, but I tend to lump it in with all the other hair metal (although with a bit harder edge). As far as history goes, most would lump them in with that "genre" as well. GN'R, despite having similar lyrics and a similar image early in their career, was able to put out much better music than that of the typical hair metal garbage of the time. GN'R set the stage for grunge to fully kill hair metal altogether. Unfortunately, I would rather have hair metal than the rap and emo garbage of today. What I'd really like is to have grown up in the 1970's so that I could have seen Led Zeppelin play live.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Unfortunately, I don't read reviews of music by other people. I just like what I hear. If you like GNR's music better as do I, that's cool. But I think you're on crack if you tell me Motley Crue's music suck. You're definitely on Axl's cock if you're gonna tell me the GNR show is better than Crue's Carnival of Sins show. I've been there for both of them and the Crue show whips on the GNR show like red headed step child. You can like GNR's music all you want just like me but flat out, plain and simple, the Crue put on a better show last year at MSG than GNR did this year at MSG.

Unfortunately, I don't read reviews of music by other people. I just like what I hear. If you like GNR's music better as do I, that's cool. But I think you're on crack if you tell me Motley Crue's music suck. You're definitely on Axl's cock if you're gonna tell me the GNR show is better than Crue's Carnival of Sins show. I've been there for both of them and the Crue show whips on the GNR show like red headed step child. You can like GNR's music all you want just like me but flat out, plain and simple, the Crue put on a better show last year at MSG than GNR did this year at MSG.

I didn't say Guns' show was better. Given that it's just one member of the original band, that in and of itself hurts the credibility of the show no matter how well GN'R performs. I merely said that Motley uses the stage show to distract from the fact that their music is MEDIOCRE in the history of rock n' roll. My perspective is that of a Led Zeppelin fan first and foremost. They're my favorite band. And when I hear crap music and see over the top antics to go along with it, it tells me that they're attempting to hide the music with the antics. Axl put on some of the damn gayest clothes back in the early 90's, but at least the music kicked ass.