The Pre-Sale theory!

Kesseli

Random pre-sale works if I get the album before it hits the stores. If not, there's no point.

As for Incognito's suggestion about re-recording, sounds good IF they even like the stuff. People keep harping on the few leaks we've heard, but we've also been told there are 70+ other songs. The don't NEED to do IRS, CITR, TWAT, whatever, if there's a decent catalog of other stuff that may exist.

Not that any of this would happen, but still a cool idea nonetheless.

Random pre-sale works if I get the album before it hits the stores. If not, there's no point.

As for Incognito's suggestion about re-recording, sounds good IF they even like the stuff. People keep harping on the few leaks we've heard, but we've also been told there are 70+ other songs. The don't NEED to do IRS, CITR, TWAT, whatever, if there's a decent catalog of other stuff that may exist.

I agree....:)

I think if they got their shit together they could time the ship date of the pre-sale to the release date so that they would happen within days of each other.

I think if they got their shit together they could time the ship date of the pre-sale to the release date so that they would happen within days of each other.

if they offer bonus something, like tshirt or some thing that will be collectable in years only if u actually presale got it i would definately. Imagine a little Axl bobby head doll like the beatles ones. hahahahhaha with anad in built alarm clock saying wake up time to die every morning.. there ya go GNR there's ya silver bullet marketing plan. thank me later

I say don't release the album until there is a reunion of the real GN'R. Anything before this would be too soon, imo.

I honestly think these "negotiations" have to do with the real guns reuniting. It has to be. I could see the label basically telling Axl to go fuck himself with this new GN'R shit. I'm sure the material Axl has isn't bad, but the label has to realize that the only way they can really capitalize off this thing is for Slash, Duff, and Co. to have contributions on the album. They're probably saying something like, you want more money for promo - SLASH IS A MUST!

Do you really think the label sees Frank Ferrar's presence being felt as a selling point? That probably carries about the same weight in their mind as a random crack whore off the street having credits on the album.

A reunion and re-recorded album would be fucking huuuge. Unlike anything the rock world has ever experienced. I'm sure the label probably realizes - Slash, Duff, and Izzy would do it. Now all they have to do is convince old cranky pants. In the words of Steven Adler - "Nothing would be bigger."

i couldnt disagree more, after the failure of libertad i really doubt that the record company sees the old guys as a strong selling point. not when they could promote it with members of primus, NIN, the replacements etc. the new guys are a way better selling point for todays youth market.

ps. quoting adler might hurt your point :P

the presale is probably a bad idea too, it's an invite for ridicule, who in his right mind would pay for CD in advance....

If there was to be a reunion, Slash and the boys would not re-work the new band's songs. Those songs would be left for Axl to release when he is ready. Maybe they'd cover two or three of the ones they like best during each show or something, but that's about it.

GN'R had an album almost ready for release back in the mid 90s. While working with VR, Izzy helped write a bunch of songs a few years ago. These are the songs that they'd work from, along with any that Axl may have been working on himself over the years. Then they have some demos from the early days like Crash Diet they could throw on there. A reunited GN'R could get an album out the door within a year, tops.

The new band's music would be left for Axl to release under a different name (that only seems logical, for if GN'R is going to be the name of the reunited band then Axl's own project would have to be titled something else - and it would still sell, especially after a huge GN'R reunion because Axl would be a superstar once more).

I really can't see the old guys coming in and just re-recording the parts written by Finck, Bucket, Brain, and Stinson. Who seriously thinks they'd agree to that, and then put the album out under the GN'R banner? These were guys that, any album attributed to GN'R (i.e. not TSI) they were ever involved with had songs that they had crafted themselves. Same with their other projects. IMO they will not come in and release a Guns N' Roses album where they simply worked off a template from other artists.

I said it before, and i'll say it again...

The old band members will play what Mr. Rose tells them to play.

Axl holds ALL the cards, whether you like it or not. Axl proved in 2000/01 that he will continue the GN'R name on with a new lineup, with no hesitation.

Like appetite said above, Geffen obviously believe that the GN'R name can be marketed on Axl alone, because for years they handed him MILLIONS to produce new music.

The old band will have to make the first step, and I don't think Axl will be as quick to slam the door in their face as some might think. But still... the old band will have to make the first move.

If Axl tells them to redo the parts, they'll do it, or it'll be hit the bricks.

Edited by Axlin08

I said it before, and i'll say it again...

The old band members will play what Mr. Rose tells them to play.

I think you are confusing Slash and Duff with guys like Fortus and Stinson. Slash and Duff faught for what they wanted and then left the coolest band ever over it so I don't know why you think they'd come in and be just a couple of yes men. They weren't before, they aren't now, and they won't ever be.

I totally disagree that Axl holds all the cards. If we get a reunion then ask yourself, why now? What has changed? The old guys? No. They have been willing for years. It's Axl that has changed. If we get a reunion it's because Axl feels it's what he has to do. He will feel that he needs the old guys. Therefore, he will have to make some compromises. They all will. But no way it'll be the all Axl show all on Axl's terms. If he starts bossing everyone around then Slash and Duff will tell him to fuck off and they will go do VR. You better believe that. They already know they can be successful without GN'R. They don't need the money. The only reason they'd do this is because GN'R is their first love and the best work they've ever done. But if it's not fun they won't do it, of that I'm sure.

Geffen may have believed they could market the band on Axl alone. Do you still think they feel as strongly about that as they probably once did? When it comes to marketing, old band > new band, and it's not even close.

I agree with exactly what you're saying KBear, but Axl will not suddenly start giving away his control.

That's why a GN'R reunion, if it happens, will constantly hang by a thread and be on the verge of an immediate breakup. When Axl goes and disagrees with Slash over something, Axl will go into his 'Axl-mode' and sit there and demand it, or it won't continue. Slash will say fuck you or get on board.

I really think if a GN'R reunion happens, it will be a collection of guys, Axl included, coming together to make BIG money. Can their friendship be rekindled down the line... possibly.

But I think the ship will be steered JUST like during the Illusion days. Axl will be the business man, calling the shots, doing the shit with the record company, and the rest of the guys will disconnect, give Axl his way, and sit back, enjoy the ride, and collect their checks.

The one main thing I think the old band will DEMAND is artistic freedom with Axl.

I think trying to move people away from online for this album might work better. Like get people interested in owning the boxset (wishful thinking).

CD has to be the rock album to own. If you only buy one cd this year, make it CD.

That's up to the industry, all Axl can do is make great music...

Unless he has a change of heart and decides to show some diplomacy, he will always own the GN'R name. Who knows if he'd use that to make ultimatums.

I can really see that if CD is a success, then Axl will become more freewheeling for a while, he might just agree to do a tour with the boys, sort of like a Spaghetti incident album, they do all the music he just sings some songs. But to get great lyrics, he'll have to get into the music then he'll want to change it etc.

I think he really did do GNR a service by not just tossing out mediocre crap after UYI just to fuel the other members...If he delivers another set of Best of standard originals then the back catalog is just going to be unbelieveable.

i dunno about a presale... but some kind of organized online sale would be cool. the thing about a presale is that everyone would download it after the initial couple thousand got sold.

by pre-sale i mean .. buy on line now and get the album whenever its released. everyone will hv paid for the album already. it will be online anyway after its being sold.

You mean pay now and get it when it's out? I don't think anyone would do that.

I mean come on... you could have come up with that Idea in 2002 "pay now, you'll get it when it's out... it's Chinese Democracy you know lol...

i dunno about a presale... but some kind of organized online sale would be cool. the thing about a presale is that everyone would download it after the initial couple thousand got sold.

by pre-sale i mean .. buy on line now and get the album whenever its released. everyone will hv paid for the album already. it will be online anyway after its being sold.

You mean pay now and get it when it's out? I don't think anyone would do that.

I mean come on... you could have come up with that Idea in 2002 "pay now, you'll get it when it's out... it's Chinese Democracy you know lol...

this topic is almost two years old,. i'v changed my mind already. :/

:xmassrudolph: