Can someone explain how zero promotion makes any sense?

Kaneda

i agree..I mean i cant believe how some GNR fans are so damn gullible or just plain stupid....I mean god its been 13 years since the last album...10 years of constant rumors of a new album..and people act like its a forgone conclusion its coming out this year...i mean get serious people, Axl must laugh at you all.......I hear dfrom a radio dj its the 21st..no i heard from a source its the 28th...my friends cousins half brothers little sister heard from someoen its december 5th...HAHAHAHA....i mean seriously look at reality..........THE ALBUM IS NOT COMING OUT IN 2006.......it is a 100 percent guarantee...........and i bet it wont be out in 2007 either.........or 2008....or 2009...........i think it will die a death and go off into oblivion of unreleased albums..........

your right, its literally fuckin ridiculous, ive heard so much i dont even care anymore.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about surprise it's about setting the album up as this work of art. Not a commercial record but a serious piece of work. It's not "turn around bitch" controversy which is what fueled GNR on AFD and UYI. This is part of the whole new band and why it happened in the first place. Axl wasn't happy with the whole image thing and wanted new musical direction and outlook. It's going to be a much more mature piece of work. And Axl seems to hate the media and how they treated him. So to me it's also not a stretch that he has it in for the industry on some level as well. I'm sure he has some allies but at the same time how much of whore can Axl Rose be? Does he feel good about his music cos it's top of billboard charts or cos he's ultimately happy with it? Is he too serious? Maybe but that's up to him.

It's not about surprise it's about setting the album up as this work of art. Not a commercial record but a serious piece of work. It's not "turn around bitch" controversy which is what fueled GNR on AFD and UYI. This is part of the whole new band and why it happened in the first place. Axl wasn't happy with the whole image thing and wanted new musical direction and outlook. It's going to be a much more mature piece of work. And Axl seems to hate the media and how they treated him. So to me it's also not a stretch that he has it in for the industry on some level as well. I'm sure he has some allies but at the same time how much of whore can Axl Rose be? Does he feel good about his music cos it's top of billboard charts or cos he's ultimately happy with it? Is he too serious? Maybe but that's up to him.

I wanna believe this but the Braided one is still living off AFD at this point.

All that matters is the album.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how people continue to believe that with zero promotion Axl and the record company will release an album that cost 15 million dollars to produce sometime in the next 5 weeks.

I keep hearing people makes half-thought-out reasons why no promotion will work, but it won't. But here's the real concern for me.

To even turn promotion on quickly, some stuff has to be planned weeks in advance...ads need to be created, promotional materials need to be developed, media would be informed...etc. If anything were taking place behind the scenes, a leak or two would spring up...The Axl lites on this board think Axl is a genious and has found a way to eilminate inner leaks...but truthfully, I think everyone on this board knows that nothing has leaked because nothing has been going on.

It's almost comical that we are still holding onto 2006 at this point. There has to be a reason why Axl isn't even mentioning the album at concerts...and it can't be good.

What's going on?

Simple, real GNR fans dont KNOW it is coming out, we just HOPE it does. And we are just optimistic, and don't feel it is necessary to bash a musical legend/genius if he doesnt do what we think he should. All the negs think they are owed something, the rest just are cool with whatever cause he has already given enough. Thats why.

It makes me fucking sick, Kaneda, you know I agree with you. Makes no sense. My gut feeling is he can't bring himself to mention the album at shows because he even knows he's unreliable and unsure and does not want to box himself into a corner. He knows he looks stupid and has looked stupid so many times over the years I think he's realized it's best just to keep his mouth shut. Moreover, I think he planned to start talking about thw album at start of the US tour. Again my gut tells me that there has been yet another recent delay at the last minute which may throw things into next year due to either (A) he has re-recorded a few parts of a song or two to get Ron Thal onto the album and/or -B- Izzy wrote a song they have been working on and wanted to get it recoreded for the album because he would want nothing better to give a credit to Izzy Stradlin and fly it in the face of Slash and Duff. I have a sense that these things occured between the Euorpean and US tour and they tried desparately to stay on line with a November release. However, I am sure getting these things done has taken more time than first thought (and a good dose of Axl's perfectionism thrown in) and in the last month or so it's become clear that they just aren't going to get the album out this year now thus giving us the feeling of being fucked over and feeling as though "will it ever be released?" once again.

As to promotion and advertising I can't fucking figure it out. Going off of what I described about Ron or Izzy I would guess that maybe the promotionnal materials were going to be developed starting in August. Then Axl threw a wrench into the whole thing and thus the label didn't know what the fuck was going to happen and how much delay that would cause and so promotion was put on hold until they know more solidly what the timeline will be. Likely they have no fucking clue what Axl is doing. The whole thing is probably way out of whack now. Here they are sitting on top of a US tour and Axl has fucked everything up once again. Yes, these are my pessemistic thoughts and yes I do think Axl is an asshole. And the web site...don't get me started there, what a piece of shit that is.

Edited by Old School

It's a fucked up situation. Cos he wants the album to stand on it's own for personal reasons but it's a given that he has this opportunity because of the past. So he just wants to do the best he can. This record, if it comes out totally will define him as an artist and it will define his future. I still don't know why he wants to do this? The only answer is that he is just a rock star that's who he is. You would think that after a certain amount of cash that you could just become this affable golf guy, go on Oprah and say aw shucks I had some bad times. Do Leno talk about touring. Instead there's this massive rift between him and Slash and he's still pushing GNR further and further, it just gets bigger and bigger you know. I guess it's a lifestyle. Maybe he takes everything personally, so really thinks people hate him and he needs the adoration of the crowd. Like they say all these supermodels broke his heart? You know come on man you should know.

6 Tuesdays left!

It will be out this year ... this Chinese year that is ;-)

No seriously, there will be no promotion. The album has been promoted for more than 10 years now, enough promotion and out with it - Chinese Democracy [AKA - Axl Rose] style.

This is all like a rock'n'roll poker game - don't lose composure! It ain't over yet - 6 rounds in the game left - no time to bail now, the stakes are high! This is where it gets fun! <_<

Again my gut tells me that there has been yet another recent delay at the last minute which may throw things into next year due to either (A) he has re-recorded a few parts of a song or two to get Ron Thal onto the album and/or -B- Izzy wrote a song they have been working on and wanted to get it recoreded for the album because he would want nothing better to give a credit to Izzy Stradlin and fly it in the face of Slash and Duff. I have a sense that these things occured between the Euorpean and US tour and they tried desparately to stay on line with a November release.

I'm prepared to wait till this week passes before I finally start to write off 2006, but I think you could be right with points A and B above. In fact those explanations probably make more sense than any other I've heard. I just wish that he would use that stuff on the next album and worry about just releasing Chi Dem already.

P.S. I doubt Axl cares about throwing something in Slash and Duff's face. I think it's more that the stuff he and Izzy wrote is probably killer and he just has to put it on there.

That's assuming the album isn't going to make it of course. I'd rather it come this year and we can wait to hear the Izzy tune(s). Although I get the feeling BBF will be on the album in some capacity no matter what, considering the fact it was confirmed recently he was in the studio laying down some parts (at least I think it was confirmed).

Hes not only fucking up his career - hes fuckign up his bandmates careers. I feel sorry for those guys they must feel constantly stuck in purgotory.

Million people tour, third best tour already in 2006, cash, chicks fame, man, Tommy Stinson from that juggernaut the Replacements (who?) must feel like Axl ruined his career. You do realize any of these guys can and have left. But why leave a hit show? GNR may not be doing what YOU want, but they are just fine. I will be holding no telethons for Robert Finck and company, my guess is they can pay the cable bill and probobly have HBO too.

Edited by Gunzen

Most of the guys in the band were either relatively unknown or flat out broke like Stinson. So Axl gave them opportunity. Even if you think Axl is a bit loopy it's still GNR not a bad career move unless you're a nun or a vicar. Cash. Lots of it.

Most of the guys in the band were either relatively unknown or flat out broke like Stinson. So Axl gave them opportunity. Even if you think Axl is a bit loopy it's still GNR not a bad career move unless you're a nun or a vicar. Cash. Lots of it.

Word

Hes not only fucking up his career - hes fuckign up his bandmates careers. I feel sorry for those guys they must feel constantly stuck in purgotory.

He started fucking up his career way back and has consistently fucked it up over and over and over again for years. He's just fucking it up once again now.

He started fucking up his career way back and has consistently fucked it up over and over and over again for years. He's just fucking it up once again now.

compared to whom? Is he broke? Does he play to 75 people in bars? Can he not afford the Ferrari's anymore? Has he fallen into relative obscurity? Dude, I would have to say this is one of your worst posts, and you have many blanket statement, negative posts with no facts to support it, but this one is one of your worst ever.

Once again:

Million ticket selling tour + notariety +chicks + cash + exceptional performance review = Great Career.

And if this is a fucked up career, ask Dave Meneketti or Steven Pearcy etc if they would take this "Fucked Up Career" damn dude, PLEASE think before you post. I get you are not happy, but fucked up career.

He may not be maximizing his career, I will give that, but it isnt fucked up. See Mike Reno for that. *sigh*

Edited by Gunzen

Axl's career? I'm not even sure if it's a "career"? I think it was all over really when AFD and UYI sold like a ton and Axl was financially upwardly unchallenge. These career disasters that people mention don't really matter. Would you care if you had any cash at all? Would you really give a fuck?

compared to whom? Is he broke? Does he play to 75 people in bars? Can he not afford the Ferrari's anymore? Has he fallen into relative obscurity? Dude, I would have to say this is one of your worst posts, and you have many blanket statement, negative posts with no facts to support it, but this one is one of your worst ever.

Once again:

Million ticket selling tour + notariety +chicks + cash + exceptional performance review = Great Career.

And if this is a fucked up career, ask Dave Meneketti or Steven Pearcy etc if they would take this "Fucked Up Career" damn dude, PLEASE think before you post. I get you are not happy, but fucked up career.

He may not be maximizing his career, I will give that, but it isnt fucked up. See Mike Reno for that. *sigh*

It's not a blanket statement. The general public - i.e., not fans such as yourself and others attending GN'R shows - think Axl is a joke. Many despise him. Many blame him for the breakup of GN'R. Many love his music but hate him because they think he is a jerk.

In the music industry Chinese Democracy is the punchline to a continual joke. He has very little respect these days amongst his contemporaries because of his alienating behavior. His 2002 "comeback" only made matters worse - I don't know if you'll recall, but the band flopped, got pretty bad reviews, was ridiculed after the VMAs and many people did tend to notice the fact that Axl Rose didn't seem to look like Axl Rose anymore.

Yes, he's doing better now, and I'm glad he is. But that doesn't mean the masses appreciate him or consider him to be respectful. A lot of people still hold bitter contempt for him, and that won't change until he releases an album. If he keeps hiding behind it then he's just going to continue facing criticism.

If he releases this, I think people worldwide will suddenly gain a new perspective - at least those who hear the music, anyway.

I think you can over promote a record to the point where people will go against it. If people discover a record themselves or have their own moment to buy it without every media channel telling them to it is just better.

And it's just bullshit about there being no promotion really. It's not tv commercials or ads in magazines but they are taking the music to people with every show and most shows get good reviews and some sort of weird story out of it whether its true or not. Like Ankle Biting Swedish Security Guards and Roast Lamb Dinners and these Trailer Park Boys.

2 things:

I think that WE are the promotion. Shit- I know I ve sold at least 10 copies of CD if and when it ever comes out, just by word of mouth. In the car business(that I work in), word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

As for no advertising I think Axl, as well as the other members, are worried about the people they want to buy CD, hearing for some jackass before CD comes out that this isnt GNR, just AXL and some buddies or whatever. They are letting the us, the performances and leaked tracks do it all.

Whatta ya think?

Edited by gnfnr2006

Unfortunately Axl has never been really respected or liked even back in the day. He was always seen as a bit crazy at best and arrogant at worst. First off just being metaller will get you a lot of shit anyway and second being that kind of band with that kind of attitude doesn't do you any favours in popularity stakes. I would say he's more popular now than ever but still puts out bad vibes with no shows. Face it Axl isnt Bob Hope.

Once again:

It's not a blanket statement. The general public - i.e., not fans such as yourself and others attending GN'R shows - think Axl is a joke. Many despise him. Many blame him for the breakup of GN'R. Many love his music but hate him because they think he is a jerk.

In the music industry Chinese Democracy is the punchline to a continual joke. He has very little respect these days amongst his contemporaries because of his alienating behavior. His 2002 "comeback" only made matters worse - I don't know if you'll recall, but the band flopped, got pretty bad reviews, was ridiculed after the VMAs and many people did tend to notice the fact that Axl Rose didn't seem to look like Axl Rose anymore.

Yes, he's doing better now, and I'm glad he is. But that doesn't mean the masses appreciate him or consider him to be respectful. A lot of people still hold bitter contempt for him, and that won't change until he releases an album. If he keeps hiding behind it then he's just going to continue facing criticism.

If he releases this, I think people worldwide will suddenly gain a new perspective - at least those who hear the music, anyway.

I stopped right after you spoke for the general public. You mean the 25 million that bought AFD? That is in the top twenty selling albums of all time. That is a fact, but I missed the pole that was taken on the "general publics opinion on Axl Rose" Actually I didnt, that is just your perception. I just go by facts:

Again, I am getting tired of this

Tour *yawn* fame,,,damn you know it all, those are facts, your speaking for 270 million people (US alone, dont know if you have asked rest of the world yet?) well that is Bullshit. Hope it didnt take you to long to write the rest of the post cause you screwed it up after you spoke for the rest of the world.

I love how Axl sympathising dropkicks like Gunzen are now suddenly claiming it's all about money.

For years I've had to listen to bullshit from these people about Axl Rose the visionary and his brave new musical direction that Slash and Duff just couldn't contemplate. But now that means shit? Now success centres around making some quick cash by touring on the back of songs that were created twenty years ago by a different band?

Yeah, there's real artistic integrity in that, dipshits.

Oh well, as long as we've got some hired virtuoso to play the Nightrain outro really fast, huh? That's some real forward thinking from Axl, right there.

Once again:

I stopped right after you spoke for the general public. You mean the 25 million that bought AFD? That is in the top twenty selling albums of all time. That is a fact, but I missed the pole that was taken on the "general publics opinion on Axl Rose" Actually I didnt, that is just your perception. I just go by facts:

Again, I am getting tired of this

Tour *yawn* fame,,,damn you know it all, those are facts, your speaking for 270 million people (US alone, dont know if you have asked rest of the world yet?) well that is Bullshit. Hope it didnt take you to long to write the rest of the post cause you screwed it up after you spoke for the rest of the world.

You should definitely begin reading because clearly by not doing so you are not even following the flow of the conversation. Where did I mention AFD? It has nothing to do with how many albums were sold. I never said GN'R wasn't a popular band, or that they didn't achieve success. I said Axl, as a figure, a performer, an artist, is today reviled by many. Appetite for Destruction came out in 1987 and rose up the charts in '88 - that's almost two decades ago. Much can change in two decades.

A musician's self-worth is not based on how much money he's making off a tour or how many chicks he's banging. I don't think Axl is that unintelligent nor is he that immature. I think he thrives on artistic self-fulfillment, which means getting his music out to people. Otherwise, he wouldn't have spent 13 years making an album and he wouldn't have alienated so many people.

How much money he's making on tour has nothing to do with the public's perception of him as a human being. Some of the most hated actors and musicians are successful, it means nothing.

If you think the entire world shares our perspective on GN'R, then you are sadly mistaken, my friend. And you truly need to start reading instead of acting like an arrogant asshole, because then you won't come across as such an egotistical ass.

I never questioned the popularity of AFD or how well their European tour was. Appetite for Destruction is a classic album. Many people love that album. Many people in Europe went to their shows. But that doesn't mean people all across the board love Axl. That means they love the music. Start reading if you're going to post on a message board.

Edited by Estranged Reality

It's true most of the world hasnt heard of GNR enough to know or buy album. Not a lot of people give a crap about music. Especially heavy rock - there are other genres you know. So Axl has a certain target market which he communicates to via magazines etc. People either buy into what he's selling or they don't. People who bought AFD and liked it are likely to buy CD just to see what it's like. It will sell it's a no brainer. That's part of the problem Axl has too much freedom. It's not like he just wants to make enough money to pay for next year and he doesnt even have kids so what the money is for I have no idea.

I'm crying tears over here. I'll agree that in the way you have defined what it takes to have a successful career you are right. Let me restructure my point for you: he has fucked up many times and is a fuck up. Perhaps I was too loose with my comment, I forgot about the Axlite's who police this board and run to his defense. I find it idiotic to even get into long drawn out arguments on here about Axl Rose because usually one side of the argument is for a defense of Axl Rose and to me it's stupid to sit there put up a defense for him when he's usually undefendable - because he's a fuck up.

Edited by Old School

Right from the get go Axl was manic depressive. Prone to mood swings and erratic behaviour. Most of their output to date sort of documents a life lived on the edge of sanity. I'm surprised Axl is so popular in the mainstream now. Songs like Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle get played at NFL games. That's pretty surprising. Other bands don't get that.