Can someone explain how zero promotion makes any sense?

Kaneda

It's true most of the world hasnt heard of GNR enough to know or buy album. Not a lot of people give a crap about music. Especially heavy rock - there are other genres you know. So Axl has a certain target market which he communicates to via magazines etc. People either buy into what he's selling or they don't. People who bought AFD and liked it are likely to buy CD just to see what it's like. It will sell it's a no brainer. That's part of the problem Axl has too much freedom. It's not like he just wants to make enough money to pay for next year and he doesnt even have kids so what the money is for I have no idea.

That limited target market combined with the age of downloading is exactly why axl/gnr is promoting CD with this tour, and by word of mouth. How many times have you read someone saying that they played a new song for a friend and that they were really into it?

No single is still a hard one though...Maybe if you drop a single(it will go to #1) all of the "downloading motherfuckers" will have had time to think about just downloading CD when it comes out. ???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GNR are a stadium band and its what they do best I think. It's where other bands can't pull it off and where they shine.

A single really is to promote the album. Isnt it? You send the single in the radio stations and they start playing it and they would say it's off the CD which is being release tomorrow.

Playing live is promotion as well. And probably GNRs best way to connect cos most people have a good time at the shows.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how people continue to believe that with zero promotion Axl and the record company will release an album that cost 15 million dollars to produce sometime in the next 5 weeks.

I keep hearing people makes half-thought-out reasons why no promotion will work, but it won't. But here's the real concern for me.

To even turn promotion on quickly, some stuff has to be planned weeks in advance...ads need to be created, promotional materials need to be developed, media would be informed...etc. If anything were taking place behind the scenes, a leak or two would spring up...The Axl lites on this board think Axl is a genious and has found a way to eilminate inner leaks...but truthfully, I think everyone on this board knows that nothing has leaked because nothing has been going on.

It's almost comical that we are still holding onto 2006 at this point. There has to be a reason why Axl isn't even mentioning the album at concerts...and it can't be good.

What's going on?

The reason why he isn't saying anything about it is because he knows that the bad news of "It's not coming out until..." isn't going to breed well in front of an audience who bought a ticket to support him. No news is good news in this case. The albums not ready or he would say something about it already. And when it is then you'l know and so will everyone else talking behind the scenes.....

I love how Axl sympathising dropkicks like Gunzen are now suddenly claiming it's all about money.

For years I've had to listen to bullshit from these people about Axl Rose the visionary and his brave new musical direction that Slash and Duff just couldn't contemplate. But now that means shit? Now success centres around making some quick cash by touring on the back of songs that were created twenty years ago by a different band?

Yeah, there's real artistic integrity in that, dipshits.

Oh well, as long as we've got some hired virtuoso to play the Nightrain outro really fast, huh? That's some real forward thinking from Axl, right there.

Money? Dude, I am an adult, and when I see someone who is independantly wealthy regardless of how he does, with the exception of crime, I consider him successful. And for some guy who post pictures of OTHER famous people as his own signature, well that looks a little sad. He is successful, period. That is what I was questionng, criticize his music or even his demeanor in public, but dont say he ahs no career, that is just stupid. It really is.

And agin, it took one sentence for the post to be stupid, may I suggest you assinine comments go to the end of your posts?

Edited by Gunzen

Right from the get go Axl was manic depressive. Prone to mood swings and erratic behaviour. Most of their output to date sort of documents a life lived on the edge of sanity. I'm surprised Axl is so popular in the mainstream now. Songs like Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle get played at NFL games. That's pretty surprising. Other bands don't get that.

Yeah, I agree.

I love Axl, but as I've grown older I've also realized he acted very immature and spoiled in his prime. The fame went to his head. It didn't help that he had controlling characteristics from the very get-go. And then there's the other stuff, such as his uncontrollable rage. He was arrested for hitting an elderly woman (his neighbor) over the head with a plant jar or something back in 1991, so I'm inclined to believe reports of sexual and physical abuse by his two most famous gals filed after their break-ups. Didn't Erin say he tied her up and raped her and threw her in a closet for hours? He admitted in the RS interview from the early '90s that he was seeking counselling and it came out that he was manic depressive or bi-polar, I forget which (maybe both). This all fits into the typical characteristics of an unstable person who can be very happy one moment and extremely aggressive the next. I think his bringing up helped contribute to this - his relationship with his parents, especially his father (who supposedly sexually molested him). It's part of what made his music so interesting - great musicians are often tormented souls. The torment he contains within him comes out in the music, which makes it compelling and at times very insightful (such as in songs such as Estranged) - unfortunately, it can also lead to damaging personal problems and acts of aggression such as the St. Louis Riot when he lashes out unexpectedly in a moment of anger.

I still have respect for him as an artist, and he's the ultimate musical anti-hero, but I can't imagine anyone trying to justify his behavior.

I don't think this is pertinent to this topic, but somehow this has turned into a discussion about how much the public loves Axl, and I think there's a very clear line between success as an artist and respect as an individual. Axl has the former but I don't think many people consider him to be a good role model.

I still respect him.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I wonder...

There originally were no tour dates for after the new year. Now if CD was dropping in the end of Nov or Dec then wouldnt it make sense to also be touring for a while, getting reviews about 4 star shows, as the record goes to #1....?

The shows in Jan HAD to be rescheduled, and rescheduled quickly as they were at the VERY beginning of the tour, and the only open time was Jan.

??

GNFNR

I Think there has been lots of promotion. Not specifically for the record but for the band in general. He's been featured in newspapers for not just concert reviews but for small things like - "axl spottings" YouTube has been getting the new bands face out there. Their Mypsace page alone has been averaging 35,000 hits a day, and countless rock/metal magazines and websites have been shitting out any info no matter how small about this release whenever they can. MTV is sure to start hyping this as soon as its released and everyone else will follow suit.

Seriously - Axl could release it at the end of December with no advanced promotion and the hype alone will bring it to number 1 during X-mas -

After that - He may have to wait until the summer, but either way, if you really were gonna buy the record at the end of 06' you'd still buy it in the summer of 07'

I've been thinking this way for a long long while, I pretty much gave up on this record quite a while ago and to see fans clutching at straws saying they're gonna stick the album out with zero promotion is madness, for all the money it's cost Axl should have it advertised on his arse...

The record company will want the world to know Chinese Democracy is due for release as they'll be targeting other people to sell the record to, not just G n R fans.

Edited by T Patten

has anyone 'with direct contact' emailed merck of late??

i know he won't say anything concrete but..........surely somebody can tell us something!!!

i'm starting to get frustrated with axl myself now, he knows the mental anguish we are all going through but yet he goes on stage and tells us nothing. i've seen em twice this year and even travelled overseas to see them once + bought a lot of teeshirts etc so i'm not another 'internet' fan who hasn't parted with money (not that it should matter)

how bloody hard is it to just let us know?

You would think that if it wasn't coming out, they would say something. We have to assume that the last statement still stands until they give us another...but I have a feeling another statement is coming soon saying something like...The record label is making it impossible for us to release the cd and it will be delayed.

You would think that if it wasn't coming out, they would say something. We have to assume that the last statement still stands until they give us another...but I have a feeling another statement is coming soon saying something like...The record label is making it impossible for us to release the cd and it will be delayed.

true. this is all we can go on until we hear otherwise. some days are just tougher than others to keep the faith :P

If i were the label i would make an statement pointing to Axl as the only guilty of don´t put aout the album ... so the fans would realise how motherfucker is this guy

If i were the label i would make an statement pointing to Axl as the only guilty of don´t put aout the album ... so the fans would realise how motherfucker is this guy

I would too...but then we would get a back and forth of accusations like we did with the Portland incident and never really know the truth. Axl ALWAYS blames everyone else.

has anyone 'with direct contact' emailed merck of late??

i know he won't say anything concrete but..........surely somebody can tell us something!!!

i'm starting to get frustrated with axl myself now, he knows the mental anguish we are all going through but yet he goes on stage and tells us nothing. i've seen em twice this year and even travelled overseas to see them once + bought a lot of teeshirts etc so i'm not another 'internet' fan who hasn't parted with money (not that it should matter)

how bloody hard is it to just let us know?

I E-mailed him just now.

I'll let you know the responce when I get it.

Not as many people disagreeing with Kaneda this time around....interesting.

Thats because they are starting to accept the truth and reallity of things.

:( sadly, yes.

kaneda speaks the truth, its not that people dont want to support GNR, its more that they dont appreciate the silence and axl & co saying one thing and then nothing happens, after eight years of it, the novelty wears off, chinese democracy was a running joke to most metal fans, after this year its beyond a joke even if it does come out

Edited by motownjunkie