Follow Axl's advice

Charisteas

It's a good thing to keep in mind. But everyone has interests out side of survival or it would be boring. Even Axl idolizes Elton John. It's a free country as they if someone wants to dedicate themselves to Axl - hell why not if they are happy and not hurting anyone. It gets to the point where you can't get out of bed cos that's just copying the rest of the human race and if you do something no one will like it cos they are so self absorbed. It's like don't come to me with your shit then if you're so special you don't need me to take an interest in you're electronica beats. Who gives a fuck?

Don't hail me

An don't idolize the ink

Or I've failed in my intentions

Can you find the missing link

Your only validation is living your own life

Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time

People take music very seriously. It's an emotional experience. It creates a lasting effect.

These were the words written by a young man who hadn't realized that yet, and was pissed off that the media was dogging him. True fans don't "idolize the ink" - but they do experience powerful emotions while listening to the music, and no amount of living one's own life will counter this. Music is a complement to life - not life itself.

Don't hail me

An don't idolize the ink

Or I've failed in my intentions

Can you find the missing link

Your only validation is living your own life

Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time

People take music very seriously. It's an emotional experience. It creates a lasting effect.

I agree. GNR was a huge part of my(and my friends) life for many school- age years, as is the same for my girlfriend. We never got to see the original line-up live....but thats another chapter.

After seeing 2 shows in the past month, I feel like I have accomplished something I have been working on for a very, very long time. The only problem is.....no I am even more interested than ever !!! Seeing Better live was just fuckn awesome, as well as all the others i grew up with and sang every day. Hearing those songs now defenitely has alot of emotion for me. Man the smiles I get thinkn about one of those 2 nights I saw them live.

(Like the things I think of as Im sittn here listening to Estranged live)

:)

GNFNR

Edited by gnfnr2006

But what he's saying is don't waste your time obsessing about GNR - live ur life. Kind of a contradiction as you have to listen to a GNR song to hear the lyrics. But whatever.

Not really since just listening isn't obsessing.

I think it's hard not to idolize Axl.. if I'm honest with myself I probably do idolize him. But most people have someone like that.. to most people its God or a political leader or something but I'm atheist and well then there's Bush. :laugh: I guess Axl's message is that he wants people to find their own thing. He probably had/has a lot of people coming up to him telling him he's amazing and whatnot seeing a bunch of dudes dressed like him wanting to be him. He was working on being a rockstar since he was in middle school.. and he might of been inspired or copied other rocker's styles but he was after his own thing and he created something of his own. He wants other people to do the same.

But what kind of obssessive freak reads lyrics? You know who defines what is and is not?

Axl is an idol in some way to me. Like you say without God or any politcal group to believe in you're left with some people who embody something you like. But really I just get something from the records at different times in my life. I'm not sure if I look up to Axl or if I'm just perplexed somewhat. He's an interesting character out there in dreamland. I mean GNR did really reinvent rock n roll when really it was sort dead. They sort of opened up this world of rock n roll for me. For others it could be some one else. It's fun to me.