GN´R - 2nd Most Important Rock Band 1981-2006!

Lukinx

Metallica is better and more important. So are lot of bands from this time period. Im shocked GNR are as high as they are. No Smashing Pumpkins? Billy Corgan>Axl Rose in every aspect ever.

Go away.

Metallica may have merited being that high 15 years ago, not anymore.

Iron Maiden #1?? Because they influenced so many bands to follow their sound?? I like em, but weird.

How can you say Metallica may have merited being that high 15 years ago, and then not say the exact same thing about GNR? I understand they lost members, but they havent done anything remotely interesting since the UYI albums. Metallica's 1st four albums destroys anything GNR ever did. GNR cant even touch any of those records. They are different styles, but when it comes to musicianship and originality, not even close.

I'll take no albums over a slow degeneration of talent any day. Metallica got progressively worse with each album after the Black album. The only thing that sounded remotely good since then was a rehash of their greatest hits with a symphony making them sound better. However, I'm tired of this argument, you can rehash it in a billion GnR vs. Metallica threads.

Spaghetti was interesting and better than Mettallica's comparable Garage Inc.

AFD is miles better than Metallica's first four albums (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this one, either). GnR is more musically diverse, and can pull off a heck of a lot more styles of rock than can Metallica. James is not a good singer, and they made a huge mistake when they estranged Mustaine. Besides, they are asses, and any credibility they may have been able to salvage by returning to their roots (taking them off the sellout path they took in the mid-late 90s) was destroyed by the poor quality of St. Anger and the ridiculous portrayal of their "musical journey" in Some Kind of Monster.

I agree with you on some aspects. St Anger was garbage. Some Kind of Monster was an embarrassment. AFD is a great album. To say it is miles better than any of Metallica's albums is a stretch. I disagree, but could certainly see how people would think that. Musically diverse? The fact that Axl can play piano does not automaticallymake GNR more musically diverse. I think both Metallica(early) and GNR(early) were extremely good at what they did, and it is whatever style you prefer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know lists don´t really mean anything but since we ain´t getting any real news this is a fun read. It´s scanned from a 2006 issue of Kerrang Magazine who listed the most important bands in rock between the years 1981-2006.

Most Important Rock Bands In The World 1981-2006 (says Kerrang!):

01. Iron Maiden

02. Guns N´Roses

03. Metallica

04. AC/DC

05. Green Day

06. Ozzy Osbourne

07. Slayer

08. Faith No More

09. Pantera

10. Nirvana

11. Bon Jovi

12. Korn

13. Judas Priest

14. Blink 182

15. Nine Inch Nails

16. Fugazi

17. Napalm Death

18. Black Flag

19. Soundgarden

20. Slipknot

21. Def Leppard

22. Marylin Manson

23. Emperor

24. Rage Against The Machine

25. Motörhead

Here is a scan of the Guns N´Roses piece (they did one for every band on the list):

gunsnroses2ndmostimporthl7.th.jpg

And here´s a download-link for the scan for those of you who want to keep it in it´s original size:

http://s9.quicksharing.com/v/489185/Guns_N...t_Band.jpg.html

Enjoy! :ph34r:

Well, the list kind of lost credibility for me when I saw Blink 182 (*how did it make it on any "best of" list) ahead of Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden. :no:

Not sure how Maiden was number one either. *shrugs*

This world isnt fair, african people are starving, asian children are being abused by ugly old western people, Bono is still alive and homeless people are getting beaten up every night.

I cant make a difference, but if someone will give me the adress of Green Day I will personally end their days and make this world a better place to be.

Kerrang! is crap, that list sucked.

The Clash, single most influential band of todays music in 1982 brought out Combat Rock which included their 2 biggest tracks (Should I stay or Should I go and Rock the Casbah). And even though I despise Nirvana, I believe they were the most influential band of that era, they can still be found in the music today. Iron Maiden, not so much.

But I guess what I said can be dismissed as Kerrang! is predominantly a metal mag, but those are just my views.

Edited by pain cake

nice one kerrang, where the fuck were u durin the quiet years? exactly! shows u where their heads at. besides, black flag n nirvana r more important. n the fact PiL arent there, or Husker Du or The Replacements shows that list for what it is. a crock of shit.

Metallica is better and more important. So are lot of bands from this time period. Im shocked GNR are as high as they are. No Smashing Pumpkins? Billy Corgan>Axl Rose in every aspect ever.

Go away.

Metallica may have merited being that high 15 years ago, not anymore.

Iron Maiden #1?? Because they influenced so many bands to follow their sound?? I like em, but weird.

How can you say Metallica may have merited being that high 15 years ago, and then not say the exact same thing about GNR? I understand they lost members, but they havent done anything remotely interesting since the UYI albums. Metallica's 1st four albums destroys anything GNR ever did. GNR cant even touch any of those records. They are different styles, but when it comes to musicianship and originality, not even close.

I'll take no albums over a slow degeneration of talent any day. Metallica got progressively worse with each album after the Black album. The only thing that sounded remotely good since then was a rehash of their greatest hits with a symphony making them sound better. However, I'm tired of this argument, you can rehash it in a billion GnR vs. Metallica threads.

Spaghetti was interesting and better than Mettallica's comparable Garage Inc.

AFD is miles better than Metallica's first four albums (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this one, either). GnR is more musically diverse, and can pull off a heck of a lot more styles of rock than can Metallica. James is not a good singer, and they made a huge mistake when they estranged Mustaine. Besides, they are asses, and any credibility they may have been able to salvage by returning to their roots (taking them off the sellout path they took in the mid-late 90s) was destroyed by the poor quality of St. Anger and the ridiculous portrayal of their "musical journey" in Some Kind of Monster.

I agree with you on some aspects. St Anger was garbage. Some Kind of Monster was an embarrassment. AFD is a great album. To say it is miles better than any of Metallica's albums is a stretch. I disagree, but could certainly see how people would think that. Musically diverse? The fact that Axl can play piano does not automaticallymake GNR more musically diverse. I think both Metallica(early) and GNR(early) were extremely good at what they did, and it is whatever style you prefer.

I can see the argument about that part of the post, however, I can't believe people that think the Metallica of the post Black or maybe post Load era and what they put out are better than the output of GnR. Garage Inc and Spaghetti, I don't think Garage holds a candle. Metallica has produced no album worthy of their name since Black and no song worthy of their name since Ain't My Bitch.