Is Axl the George Lucas of music?

fantomas

If you want my opinion, Chinese Democracy will be reviewed the same way "The Phatom Menace" was in 1999. Commercially I think CD will do amazing. People are hungry for new G n' R much as fans were for new Star Wars. However, I think the critics will tear it apart much like they did with "The Phatom Menace". They will harp on about the time it took to get it out and focus more on the backstory and the creator than the final product. The fact is, the level of expectation has been set so high, it will be impossible to meet that. If you really think about it, the comparisons between "The Phatom Menace" and CD are eerie.

Both over a decade in the making

A strong, dedicated fan base

Created by perfectionist recluses who are never 100% happy with the final product

Both surrounded by a lot of yes men who aren't really helping the cause

Yes, my comparison is a bit off center, but dead on if you think about it.

If you want my opinion, Chinese Democracy will be reviewed the same way "The Phatom Menace" was in 1999. Commercially I think CD will do amazing. People are hungry for new G n' R much as fans were for new Star Wars. However, I think the critics will tear it apart much like they did with "The Phatom Menace". They will harp on about the time it took to get it out and focus more on the backstory and the creator than the final product. The fact is, the level of expectation has been set so high, it will be impossible to meet that. If you really think about it, the comparisons between "The Phatom Menace" and CD are eerie.

Created by perfectionist recluses who are never 100% happy with the final product

Maybe, possibly.... probably :(

Hopefully it'll be more like "A New Hope". A refreshing blast of awesome originality.

I hated the new Star Wars trilogy and I've been a SW fan since I was 11. :anger: In some way, you're right. But I don't think Axl is as 'blind' as old George. George Lucas wanted to please too many different types of audience and failed miserably. Axl's not going to do that. :rolleyes:

I hated the new Star Wars trilogy and I've been a SW fan since I was 11. :anger: In some way, you're right. But I don't think Axl is as 'blind' as old George. George Lucas wanted to please too many different types of audience and failed miserably. Axl's not going to do that. :rolleyes:

You opened my eyes, lucas did everything to please his audience, and we ended up with a mediocre trilogy because of it, it's kinda nice to know that axl works on his own terms, so that when it's done, it was worth it :)

Yeah but when Lucas says a new movie is coming out on a certain day, it comes out. He's a perfectionist the way Axl is, but he also realizes that you gotta have a finished product to give to the people, something tangable, not just a wind and a prayer that has been Axl's career sinc 1994.

yeah, axl strives for something, which is almost impossible to do nowdays, i mean i know alot of people say, theres so much more you can do with rock, but honestly, its not just about the music, its about being in the right place at the right time, for the right movement..