Guns N' Roses top Kerrang's 100 Greatest Album List

Markus89

KERRANG KLASSIC

THE 100 GREATEST ROCK ALBUMS EVER!

A 132-page special edition magazine from the makers of KERRANG!

Kerrang has just voted Appetite For Destruction the number 1 rock album of all the time.

The article also includes a brand new personal message from Duff. A personal message from duff mckagan starts the mag:

Welcome To The Jungle!

"So kerrang has just voted AFD the number 1 rock album of all the time? Wow! That's pretty cool. After 20 years, it feels sort of surreal. No way did we know that we were making a classic, let alone something that would stand up to the very best. We were young and living in the moment. There's two years of our lives in that record. We were together that whole time when we were writing and recording it. We were a gang in our own little bubble in LA. We got fucked up together, and we had each others backs. Back then, if you fucked with one of us, you had all of us to deal with. We wrote those songs for ourselves, for each other. We weren't thinking about what other bands were doing - we had our own thing going on. We didn't even have a deal then, but we were playing them in clubs, and the reaction we got was instant gratification. Right from the start, I knew we had great songs. i think that's why the record has lasted all these years. I haven't listened to 'Appetite in years. The last time I heard the whole thing was when I started dating the girl who's now my wife. That was around 11 years ago. She had a cassette of the album in her car - she bought it long before she met me. She liked to rock out in the car, just her own bad self! When she played it to me, the first song we heard was "My Michelle" and I was like "Take it off!" but halfway though the song I got to thinking, "Y'know, this is pretty fucking cool!" I watch a lot of football and baseball games, and at just about every sprots event in America, they play 'welcome to the jungle' most of the songs bring back pretty good memories.

Things are very different now. We all have homes, cars, kids. We didn't have any of those things when we were making that record. We're not the same people we were. Back than GNR was our whole life. That feeling is not something I could recapture; it was a fleeting time. But when I think of AFD now, it reminds me of a really good time in my life. For all five us that was a really amazing little period that we all shared together, and no matter what has happened between us over the years, that's something we'll always have between us.

Duff McKagan

Los Angeles,

November 2006.

THE 100 GREATEST ROCK ALBUMS EVER:

100. trivium - ascendancy

99. bad religion - suffer

98. satyricon

97. muse - origin of symmetry

96. tool - lateralus

95. clash - clash

94. judas priest - defenders of the faith

93. anthrax - spreading the disease

92. foo fighters - foo fighters

91. killing joke - killing joke

90. converge - jane doe

89. jane's addiction - nothings shocking

88. marilyn manson - antichrist superstar

87. faith no more - the real thing

86. the dillinger escape plan - calculating infinity

85. blink 182 - enema of the state

84. sepultura - roots

83. the stooges - fun house

82. slipknot - slipknot

81. queens of the stone age - songs for the deaf

80. metallica - ride the lightning

79. deep purple - machine head

78. offspring - smash

77. alice cooper - billion doller babies

76. emperor - in the nightside eclipse

75. the black crowes - southern harmony and musical companion

74. darkness - permission to land

73. mastodan - leviathan

72. chili peppers - blood, sugar, sex, magic

71. rainbow - rising

70. def leppard - pyromania

69. thin lizzy - live and dangerous

68. helmet - meantime

67. megadeth - peace sells but who's buying

66. rancid - and out come the wolves

65. aerosmith - rocks

64. smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness

63. big black - atomizer

62. deftones - white pony

61. at the drive-in - relationship of command

60. dio - holy diver

59. van halen - 1984

58. rush - moving pictures

57. fugazi - repeater

56. soundgarden - superunknown

55. kiss - alive

54. machine head - burn my eyes

53. black sabbath - vol 4

52. pearl jam - ten

51. nirvana - in utero

50. ozzy osbourne - blizzard of ozz

49. weezer - weezer

48. GUNS N ROSES - USE YOUR ILLUSION 2

The ultimate rock folly? far from it.

It's often said that the UYI albums marked the point where GNR ditched their gutter-punk roots and embraced stadium rock bombast. in fact, many of the big balleds pre-dated debut album AFD 'don't cry' for example, was the first song they ever wrote together. Of the two albums, 2 is the more cohesive, let down only by the scrappy 'get in the ring' (during which axl rose blasts kerrang and other music papers). Recalling the grandeur of Led Zeppelin and Queen, 2 signposted a bold and ambitious future that, tragically would never materialise. Rose vowed to tour the UYI albums until they'd together sold over 30 million. Less than halfway to that target, the band had torn itself apart.

Essential Tracks: 'Civil War', 'Estranged', 'You Could Be Mine'

47. slayer - south of heaven

46. minor threat - minor threat

45. queen - sheer heart attack

44. foo fighters - the colour and the shape

43. napalm death - scum

42. led zeppelin - led zeppelin lV

41. janes addiction - ritual de lo habitual

40. nine inch nails - downward spiral

39. alice in chains - dirt

38. my chemical romance - 3 cheers for sweet revenge

37. rage against the machine - rage against the machine

36. tool - aenima

35. aerosmith - pump

34. green day - dookie

33. black flag - damaged

32. motley crue - shout at the devil

31. refused - the shape of punk to come

30. muse - absolution

29. iron maiden - iron maiden

28. ac/dc - highway to hell

27. korn korn

26. system of a down - toxicity

25. def leppard - hysteria

24. faith no more - angel dust

23. black sabbath - heaven and hell

22. led zeppelin - led zeppelin ll

21. smashing pumpkins - siamese dream

20. the wildhearts - earth vs the wildhearts

19. clash - london calling

18. judas priest - british steel

17. van halen - van halen

16. led zeppelin - led zeppelin

15. metallica - metallica

14. ramones - ramones

13. green day - american idiot

12. motorhead - no sleep till hammersmith

11. pantera - vulgar display of power

10. nirvana - nevermind

9. slayer - reign of blood

8. bon jovi - slippery when wet

7. sex pistols - never mind the bollocks

6. iron maiden - number of the beast

5. black sabbath - black sabbath

4. led zeppelin - physical graffiti

3. ac/dc - back in black

2. metallica - master of puppets

1. GUNS N ROSES - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

The daddy of all hard rock records from the deadliest gang in town.

If there is such a thing as a perfect hard rock then this is it. Lurching out of LA like a gang of inner-city pirates, GNR debut album distilled every great rock n roll idea into one self contained package. There was the death-tripping hedonistic blues of the Rolling Stones , the shambolic swagger of the New York Dolls, the punk snarl of the Sex Pistols and plenty of melodic hooks to pull the wider mainstream into their seedy world.

The epitome of an album that's all killer and no filler AFD offered a lifestyle and an attitude, with the songs to back it up. Despite the influences, with axl's paint- stripping holler and reptilian shimmy and Slash's impeccable playing , GNR sounded and looked like no other band. At the heart of 'it's so easy' or smack rock tale 'Mr Brownstone' lay a dark-hearted street-smart sensibility, while 'Paradise Cty' swung with substantial menace and 'sweet child o'mine' offered the ultimate power ballad. Think about it: have you ever met a rock fan who doesn't like a least some aspect of this album? Thought not! If the devil really has the best tunes than AFD surely takes pride of place in his collection.

Kerrang! , GNRDaily

Edited by Markus89

I think its fucking awsome that Refused, a hardcore/punk band from Sweden, is on that list and beats bands like RATM and Tool :xmasssanta:

They must be pretty awesom, actually gonna check those guys out. Duff is a huge fan of them :krider:

Check this out, haha :D

Duff Says GN'R Will Reunite... if "Refused" Do it First

Yeah, they are awsome. I opened for them a couple of times with and old band I had back in 1997. We were involved in the same punk scene as them so its really funny and great to see the hype their last album got and how huge it really is. Check out their album "Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent" which is their best release if you ask me. It reminds me alot of Slayer, but with the hardcore touch. :)

I think its fucking awsome that Refused, a hardcore/punk band from Sweden, is on that list and beats bands like RATM and Tool :xmasssanta:

They must be pretty awesom, actually gonna check those guys out. Duff is a huge fan of them :krider:

Check this out, haha :D

Duff Says GN'R Will Reunite... if "Refused" Do it First

Yeah, they are awsome. I opened for them a couple of times with and old band I had back in 1997. We were involved in the same punk scene as them so its really funny and great to see the hype their last album got and how huge it really is. Check out their album "Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent" which is their best release if you ask me. It reminds me alot of Slayer, but with the hardcore touch. :)

Noted. Thank You :D

There was the death-tripping hedonistic blues of the Rolling Stones , the shambolic swagger of the New York Dolls, the punk snarl of the Sex Pistols and plenty of melodic hooks to pull the wider mainstream into their seedy world.

That statement right there perfectly captures the instant attraction I had to this band!

...I would add,"the uncompromising cool of stoner era Aerosmith".

Like famous painters that their work is appreciated many years after. I liked Duff's interview especially this part: "For all five us that was a really amazing little period that we all shared together, and no matter what has happened between us over the years, that's something we'll always have between us."

Rock on!! rock1