Rift between Iron Maiden fans and GN'R fans?

Powerage5

It seems like a lot of people here bash Iron Maiden (Usually for bullshit reasons). I also post on the Iron Maiden messageboard and nearly everyone there bashes GN'R (Again, usually for bullshit reasons). I've heard a lot of people quote an old Axl interview (Donington '88 I think) where Axl said Maiden was too political. Now, can someone explain to me why on Earth you think Maiden is "political"? They were never a politically-motivated band up until the Dance Of Death album.

On the other hand, a lot of Maiden fans are upset with GN'R because of the deaths of the 2 fans at Donington '88. Maiden have wanted to release this show for years, as it was one of the bands best performances ever, but are still troubled by the deaths of the fans and feel it would not be right to release it. As such, Maiden fans don't give GN'R a chance.

And of course, seeing people bashing Maiden in this Kerrang list where they beat out GN'R for first only fuels my interest in this argument between the fans. I guess I'm just looking for someone who can explain it to me because I feel like both groups of fans are wrong.

I don't go around bashing them, but I certainly don't like them.

I purchased The Essential Iron Maiden and didn't like a single song on it. They're not my cup of tea. It's loud, immature and silly IMO - and I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but that's just my personal opinion (doesn't mean everyone has to feel that way). I've never been a heavy metal thrasher who's into music like Metallica, Megadeth or Iron Maiden - GN'R, to me, has something a lot of other so-called "hard rock" bands don't have. GN'R are always lumped together with Metallica but I think they sound nothing alike.

I think GN'R is more like The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. (Early Aero, that is.)

I completely agree Powerage. I can understand the Iron Maiden fans annoyance at GN'R because of the lack of Donington 88 release, but I still find it difficult to comprehend some ofthe hatred for GN'R that Maiden fans sometimes have.

I also find it ridiculous when people quote that Axl interview where he talks a load of bollocks and calls Maiden political. Maybe they should actually try listening to the band before they just repeat what Axl wrongly said

I purchased The Essential Iron Maiden and didn't like a single song on it. They're not my cup of tea. It's loud, immature and silly IMO

I can't see how you could view Iron Maiden as immature and silly when GN'R were extremely childish and immature themselves. Songs about drinking (Nightrain), sex (Anything Goes) and putting a woman orgasming into one of their songs (Rocket Queen). To me that is a hell of a lot more immature than anything Iron Maiden did.

And of course it's loud. It's metal.

Edited by Glick

I completely agree Powerage. I can understand the Iron Maiden fans annoyance at GN'R because of the lack of Donington 88 release, but I still find it difficult to comprehend some ofthe hatred for GN'R that Maiden fans sometimes have.

I also find it ridiculous when people quote that Axl interview where he talks a load of bollocks and calls Maiden political. Maybe they should actually try listening to the band before they just repeat what Axl wrongly said

I purchased The Essential Iron Maiden and didn't like a single song on it. They're not my cup of tea. It's loud, immature and silly IMO

I can't see how you could view Iron Maiden as immature and silly when GN'R were extremely childish and immature themselves. Songs about drinking (Nightrain), sex (Anything Goes) and putting a woman orgasming into one of their songs (Rocket Queen). To me that is a hell of a lot more immature than anything Iron Maiden did.

And of course it's loud. It's metal.

Appetite for Destruction is a very immature album.

But they expanded and matured as time went on.

And a lot of the lyrics on Appetite were filled with hatred for the very things they were singing about. Welcome to the Jungle was never a glorification of the seedy life, it was an attack against it.

The immaturity I was speaking of in regards to Maiden was more along the lines of their macabre and deliberately pretentious lyrics. I don't know if they're political but I understand what Axl meant by saying this.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I think maiden is pretty good. Most of their songs with bruce are good. I like a lots of bands more then maiden, but that's not 'cause of that maiden is bad. The others is just better!

On the other hand, a lot of Maiden fans are upset with GN'R because of the deaths of the 2 fans at Donington '88. Maiden have wanted to release this show for years, as it was one of the bands best performances ever, but are still troubled by the deaths of the fans and feel it would not be right to release it. As such, Maiden fans don't give GN'R a chance.

Yeah blame GN'R for that! Damn those bunch of idiots had to show up on the stage wrong time in wrong place!

I don't go around bashing them, but I certainly don't like them.

I purchased The Essential Iron Maiden and didn't like a single song on it. They're not my cup of tea. It's loud, immature and silly IMO - and I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but that's just my personal opinion (doesn't mean everyone has to feel that way). I've never been a heavy metal thrasher who's into music like Metallica, Megadeth or Iron Maiden - GN'R, to me, has something a lot of other so-called "hard rock" bands don't have. GN'R are always lumped together with Metallica but I think they sound nothing alike.

I think GN'R is more like The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. (Early Aero, that is.)

I think you and I are going to get well together dude

I like both, but I don't listen to them anymore.

go watch the maiden live after death dvd

that dvd owns everyone

I've seen this DVD and I don't agree with you. His voice isn't really good on it.

When I heard it, the high notes almost hurt my ears :unsure: . At 2 about wo minutes the thing I mean starts. Bruce is an awesome singer in the studio, and as I said in my post before, they are one of myfavourite bands, but what I have heard from him live isn't that good. But well, maybe in 2 weeks I will have another opinion. ;)

Edited by Iceman24

that dvd owns everyone

I've seen this DVD and I don't agree with you. His voice isn't really good on it.

When I heard it, the high notes almost hurt my ears :unsure: . At 2 about wo minutes the thing I mean starts. Bruce is an awesome singer in the studio, and as I said in my post before, they are one of myfavourite bands, but what I have heard from him live isn't that good. But well, maybe in 2 weeks I will have another opinion. ;)

:o:o

I can't disagree with you more! Bruce is one of the most decent singers live!

And live after death is brilliant!

I really think you'll change your mind after the live! ;)

that dvd owns everyone

Oh...I realised now, I wasn't talking about this DVD :unsure:

I meant the Deathh on the road DVD and listen to this Hallowed Be Thy Name:

that dvd owns everyone

Oh...I realised now, I wasn't talking about this DVD :unsure:

I meant the Deathh on the road DVD and listen to this Hallowed Be Thy Name:

To be fair the guy was 45 years old when that video was shot, and for that age he still has a great set of pipes on him.

That video is even more recent and he sounds great on it. Rumour had it at one point that the Death on the Road gig was Bruce recovering from laryngitis, and that because Steve picks the performances he picked his best one.

This is from in his prime. Damn near untouchable