Universal may be preventing the release of CD...

Deniro

An Axl's interview from 2001 has been posted on www.rosesofvelvet.com

According to Axl, Universal rejected the album in 2001. So maybe it's happening again.

This story has also been posted on www.heretodaygonetohell.com

It seems that the real "perfectionist" is not who the fans believed...

As the years continue to go by, the chances of the record being a substantial commercial success have declined. I really doubt the rc are holding it up, substantial commercial success is something they're generally quite fond of.

This is a little like my thread that got deleted where I suggested that maybe Axl couldnt announce a definate release date as maybe he didnt actually know for sure, especially if its been handed over to Universal. I got slated for that but oh well!

Are you sure it didn't end up in Dust n Bones??

I didn't check but...just a hunch.

This is a little like my thread that got deleted where I suggested that maybe Axl couldnt announce a definate release date as maybe he didnt actually know for sure, especially if its been handed over to Universal. I got slated for that but oh well!

not alot of people check there

not alot of people check there

I dont know.. dont really care.. fuckit

could someone post a link to that article please?

I would bet one hell of alot of money that since it's on HTGTH and has not been deleted that it's what Merck and Axl want us to blieve, not that it is necessarily true. I'm sure that this will most likely be the excuse for not having a release date in 06. Of course it's never GNR's fault...

A8R

Edited by allen8r

I don't think that Universal would reject the record. However, Universal probably has a budget on how much to spend on promotion and maybe they have reached the limit thus they have decided to postpone the album until 2007. Just guessing anyway, let's just wait and see. The album will come out eventually and hopefully before the end of the year.

I don't think that Universal would reject the record. However, Universal probably has a budget on how much to spend on promotion and maybe they have reached the limit thus they have decided to postpone the album until 2007. Just guessing anyway, let's just wait and see. The album will come out eventually and hopefully before the end of the year.

Similarly along the same line of argument ...

It's definitely not that Universal or some other record label rejected the album. It's that the record labels did not want to put up the kind of money to promote the record and the band like what Axl had envisioned. And we all know how GRANDIOUS Axl's visions are.

Axl ranted somewhere that record labels did not want to put the kind of money to support 'older' bands like they do the 'newer' and 'younger' bands.

The record company's could care less about the 'artistic value' of the music. In the end, it's all about 'returns of investment' for them. The reason GnR was able to make those kinds of videos for UYI was because the record labels knew the return on their investment would be good.

So, here came along 2001 and 2002. The landscape has changed. The kind of money Axl wanted to put out his grandious vision was not something the record labels were willing to take a risk on. The record labels weren't sure if GnR would make good on their return in investment. So, Axl had to go out and prove to them that GnR would not be just another Snakepit.

Unfortunately, the US-leg of the tour was disastrous. Clearly, the record labels were not going to give Axl the kind of funding he wanted. To prevent any further damage, Axl called off the rest of tour. He only has one chance to make it and he didn't want to blow it.

It's now 2006. The landscape is much favorable for 80's rock bands looking to make a come back. GnR has matured. The fans and the industry is ready for GnR. The tours have been successful. All things are looking good. Axl is getting the support and funding he wants and needs to make CD happen the way he has envisioned.

Now, we just have to wait and see ... just a little bit longer ...

Fiona Apple who is signed to Sony Had an album ready for two years that the label wouldn't release because they didn't feel it was "done right" The fans actually petitioned outside of the label and sent Sony green apples in the mail. Eventually the album was rerecorded from scratch with a different producer and the overall change in the songs ( i know because the original album leaked ) was to make the songs slightly happier.

Point is..It happens all the time.

I know tons of bands that get shelved every year because promotion or the landscape of music isnt "just right." The label can wait forever. They've already invested x amount of dollars and arent paying for bands to live during those dead periods. They will not take a gamble on their return if they don't have to. I don't care if you are axl rose. 12 tracks likes My world would get rejected if Mozart wrote them.

In The case of Fiona - I liked the original album and couldn't understand why it was denied until I heard the New version. It just had more umph, color and viariety.

Edited by afterthebath

The record company's could care less about the 'artistic value' of the music. In the end, it's all about 'returns of investment' for them. The reason GnR was able to make those kinds of videos for UYI was because the record labels knew the return on their investment would be good.

Yep, that's how business works. That's what the music industry is, a business

I believe Universal/Geffen released Greatest Hits BECAUSE Axl would not deliver Chinese Democracy.

I wouldn't quite take everything Axl says as total truth. Not to slam the guy, but he's always had a penchant for recalling stories in a way that try to justify his behavior. Such as the St. Louis riot, blaming the security guards and saying he jumped in and beat up the guy because the band was at risk.

I can't imagine Geffen would reject anything at this point - they'd probably be more than eager to slap some songs together regardless of their quality, as long as the name "GN'R" can be printed on the albums.

actually AXL paid for the November Rain and Estranged Videos out of his own pocket so he would get what he wanted.

actually AXL paid for the November Rain and Estranged Videos out of his own pocket so he would get what he wanted.

Damn, Stephanie Seymour was one expensive prostitute!!! All that money so he could get with her? She had better been worth it.

Damn, Stephanie Seymour was one expensive prostitute!!! All that money so he could get with her? She had better been worth it.

i doubt it

The non-italicized parts are questions from fans. The rest is Trent Reznor, aka Nine Inch Nails.

Could you provide us with a more specific time frame for the BYIT DVD other than the year 2007 - or is it too variable to forecast at this point?

The DVD is done on our end, and has been. I'll let Rob fill you in on some of the technical hurdles we've encountered (which are amazing), but the primary reason it's being delayed until the first part of the year is Interscope. Pussycat Dolls > NIN.

What is the status of the Closure DVD. Any news on your end?

If you hear anything, let me know. I have another equation for you to ponder. Black Eyed Peas > NIN.

Trent, have you been relaxing/unwinding at all since you wrapped up the tour? Love the DVD trailer, which indicates that you went right back to work....

Well, I was going to take a few weeks off but the goddamned schedule for the DVD moved forward, putting an end to that idea. As things happen, Interscope shit the bed on their end regarding the promotion of it so it's now coming out early '07. I KNEW I should have involved Will.I.Am in this - THAT would have made them pay attention!

NOTE: I am not serious about the WILL.I.AM comment. I consider him the definition of what SUCKS in music today.

Take it for what it's worth.

Similarly along the same line of argument ...

It's definitely not that Universal or some other record label rejected the album. It's that the record labels did not want to put up the kind of money to promote the record and the band like what Axl had envisioned. And we all know how GRANDIOUS Axl's visions are.

Axl ranted somewhere that record labels did not want to put the kind of money to support 'older' bands like they do the 'newer' and 'younger' bands.

So, here came along 2001 and 2002. The landscape has changed. The kind of money Axl wanted to put out his grandious vision was not something the record labels were willing to take a risk on. The record labels weren't sure if GnR would make good on their return in investment. So, Axl had to go out and prove to them that GnR would not be just another Snakepit.

Unfortunately, the US-leg of the tour was disastrous. Clearly, the record labels were not going to give Axl the kind of funding he wanted. To prevent any further damage, Axl called off the rest of tour. He only has one chance to make it and he didn't want to blow it.

It's now 2006. The landscape is much favorable for 80's rock bands looking to make a come back. GnR has matured. The fans and the industry is ready for GnR. The tours have been successful. All things are looking good. Axl is getting the support and funding he wants and needs to make CD happen the way he has envisioned.

Now, we just have to wait and see ... just a little bit longer ...

Good points. But now I think the record labels is ONLY ready IF they promote it in their way. Their way=not enough time to get it out this year.

I´ve never felt so sure before, but I think actually the rec labels and GnR camp are in some sort of conflict or discussion right now in this moment. GnR camp want to release it now. The rec label want of course also release it but with a promotion plan that make it longer to get CD out in stores. Gnr now calculating if it worth to look like assholes and liers in a middle of a tour, loosing ticket sales and betray their fans to get a proper promotion of a delayed album.

Would it also actually be worth it in just pure math. Would a promotion carry all the minuses a deleay would give? BIG, BIG DILEMMA boys and girls..