"Axl Rose's catharsis was evident - and energizing"

jack99

Axl Rose's catharsis was evident - and energizing

By Candy Palmater

The Daily News

On a Sunday night in February 1987, I was sitting at a corner table of the Social Club on the campus of the

University of New Brunswick. I was talking with a guy named Greg whom I had just met, who incidentally

died in a car crash the next weekend. During the two hours that I knew Greg, we talked about music. The

club we were in was playing Soft Cell and The Cure. It was the year that U2's Joshua Tree exploded the

band into the mainstream.

After our second pitcher of draft, and his realization that we had the same taste in music, Greg pulled a

cassette out of his pocket and told me I absolutely had to buy it. That cassette was called Appetite For

Destruction by a band I had never heard of called Guns 'N Roses.

The next day I headed out to A&A Records and bought the cassette. For the next two days I skipped classes

and listened to that album over and over again. It was like nothing I had ever heard before. Ten months

later, Appetite for Destruction changed the face of popular music. The rest is history.

On Monday night, Guns 'N Roses performed at the Halifax Metro Centre. Many of my contemporaries scoffed

at the idea of going to the show, since Axl is all that is left of the band. However Axl Rose was the voice

behind the greatest rock 'n' roll album of my generation. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to see him.

When the first notes of Welcome to the Jungle started to play, you could feel the adrenalin rush through the

venue. We rose to our feet in a surreal haze, as though 9,000 people had forgotten for a moment that it

wasn't Slash playing those notes. As though collectively, just before the lights washed the stage, we all

wanted to believe it was Slash.

The whole night was a roller coaster of emotion. Rose's braided weave and thicker mid-section had me

feeling sorry for him, as though the best years of his life had passed him by.

As the evening went on, my perspective started to change. We were seeing a far happier and more relaxed

Axl Rose than the troubled young man who struggled with addiction and anger control problems during the

late '80s.

At 25, I was spending my rent money at The Misty Moon five nights a week and wasting my time with bad

men. Lucky for me, none of those mistakes were aired to the world. It must have been difficult to work

through the mistakes of youth while hitting the peak of commercial success, as Rose did.

Most fans dream of the day when we will see Axl and Slash side by side on stage again; I am no exception.

However, by the end of the show this week, I was feeling euphoric. Rose looked healthy and happy. He

brought us the songs of our youth with his trademark whine. His hips are a bit wider, but they still have that

serpentine slither that became his trademark in the late '80s.

Judging by the reaction of my fellow concertgoers, many like me, forgot about who was not on the stage and

lost themselves in the grandeur of this powerhouse of rock 'n' roll, whom many of us thought was lost

forever.

Rose showed us many things that night. He showed us that a person can rise again, no matter how far they

may have fallen. He showed us that, as we age, the energy of who we are can flow beyond the limitations of

our physical image.He showed us peace of mind sometimes comes, not in the time of our greatest public

success, but in the time of our greatest personal success.

As the show ended I felt more introspective than I ever have at a rock concert. I wonder if this is the feeling

the Baby Boomers feel when they see the Rolling Stones.

Axl Rose's performance touched me deeply. What he demonstrated for me is the inevitability of change. We

will all age, and that's not so bad. We will all experience hard times, but they too shall pass. In the end it can

all be summed up with Rose's "Nothing lasts forever ... even cold November rain."

Source: http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=9729&sc=5

he never struggled with addiction...did he? :confused:

Have you ever listened to Mr. Brownstone? What do you think that is about? The whole band was drug addicts lmao.

on topic though: Great article for sure!

Edited by AnEskimo

The whole night was a roller coaster of emotion. Rose's braided weave and thicker mid-section had me

What? Is this guy a fucking moron or what? Is he blind? The asshole is NOT fat!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people think he looks fat, he looks great, WTF? Feeling sorry for him? The guy looks great all around. Hip clothing style, slim, fit. Some people...I just can't fucking believe it.

What? Is this guy a fucking moron or what? Is he blind? The asshole is NOT fat!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people think he looks fat, he looks great, WTF? Feeling sorry for him? The guy looks great all around. Hip clothing style, slim, fit. Some people...I just can't fucking believe it.

Agree. He has actually become more "normal" these days. He was really thin back then. More from a boy to a real man. But for christ sake NOT fat!!

EDIT* GREAT review BTW in general. Describe pretty much it all.

Edited by shootingstar

What? Is this guy a fucking moron or what? Is he blind?

What!? Can't you read!? a WOMAN wrote the article!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

he never struggled with addiction...did he? :confused:

I believe there is no rock star who doesn't use drugs. And if there was, he definitely wouldn't be Axl :rofl-lol:

There's a big difference between "using drugs" and "struggling with addiction".

I don't think he was in a coma because he used to smoke a bit of weed from time to time... :unsure: