I Feel Bad for the Band

Vincent Vega

When people say negative shit about Axl,

Many people here express sympathy for Axl, and bash those that bash him. But I, personally, feel sympathy for the band. Many of the members have been in this for the long haul, especially Robin, who's been a part of GN'R since 1996. Many of them have stuck by this band, in it's darkest hours. That shows dedication. For someone like Robin, I think it goes beyond the paycheck.

Imagine waiting ten years to put out a product, a product that will be partly yours, that will have your creative stamp and influence on it, only to face delay after delay. I'm sure the band would've been happy to get the album out years ago. For many of them, it'll be the first recording or creative experience that they've truly been a part of, and truly had a hand in creating.

It must be hard for them to go out, every night, playing someone else's songs that they didn't create and probably don't even like, when they know they could be playing a set of songs that they created. It must be so frustrating to not be able to play their own songs and knowing that if they refused to play the old songs, they'd be fired. The album is called Chinese Democracy; ironically, the band that created it is in a state of communism.

It also must be hard for them to call themselves members of a band when they're not allowed to act as such; they cannot talk about their work or their life in the band to any major sources. While they could create their identity and become (in the public's eyes) more than replacements, they are forced to stand in the shadow of their predecessors.

I think for at least some of the band, they've stuck by this project for the same reasons a lot of us have: An eventual pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A lot of us here have stuck by Axl and the band with the hope that our wait will result in what could be one of the best Rock records ever produced; I think the band sticks by for the same reason; the prospects of an eventual payoff for their wait, both commercially, creatively and personally.

So before you bash the band, think of it this way, in a lot of ways, they're in the same boat as us, all being driven for nearly a decade by Captain Rose--but to what destination, and when? And the question at the end of this journey will be: Was it worth it? A question that I think will be asked, aloud and in our thoughts, by the band and ourselves when all is said and done.

Nowadays the album promotes the tour. Having a cd in the works is just as financially viable if not more so than having a record out which might get negative reaction. It's hard to believe that this is what the record industry has come to. Add to that downloading motherfuckers and its obvious that you need to approach the whole thing differently.

i feel where the original post is coming from....

but it's hard for me to say i feel "bad" for the band to any extent, cause they could all leave if they wanted to.

i think at the end of the day, the guys in the band know that they are not guns n roses. it may say that on the tickets and on the record (if we see it), but deep deep down they know that they essentially work for axl. axl hired them, axl calls the shots, axl has the studio in his house, axl owns the name, axl signs the checks, axl gets to the gigs after them, they go on when axl's ready, axl axl axl axl axl axl.

guns n roses, the real guns n roses, wasn't like that in their prime. it's completely delusional on axl's part to even think he could create an environment wherein a vibe could be created that could even approach the chemistry that the original band had that spawned AFD. there's something about a certain group of guys at a certain place at a certain time at a certain point in their personal lives that creates that type of magic.....and it cannot dictated or replicated. some people dog adler's drumming or duff's bass playing and say things about how the new guys are better players and whatnot, but the fact of the matter is that adler is the best drummer on AFD and duff the best bass player, dig?

no person has to feel the sting of this band not being gnr more than axl himself. i think that may be the biggest reason for all of the delays. i'm not trying to axl bash, cause i still think he's great, and i think some of the new guys (ferrer and fortus in particular) are top notch, but axl and co. know that they ain't no gnr. so, i can't feel bad for the band. in fact, i maybe in a weird way have to feel bad for axl because he's surrounded by yes-men. but then again, he brought that on himself......

i feel where the original post is coming from....

but it's hard for me to say i feel "bad" for the band to any extent, cause they could all leave if they wanted to.

i think at the end of the day, the guys in the band know that they are not guns n roses. it may say that on the tickets and on the record (if we see it), but deep deep down they know that they essentially work for axl. axl hired them, axl calls the shots, axl has the studio in his house, axl owns the name, axl signs the checks, axl gets to the gigs after them, they go on when axl's ready, axl axl axl axl axl axl.

guns n roses, the real guns n roses, wasn't like that in their prime. it's completely delusional on axl's part to even think he could create an environment wherein a vibe could be created that could even approach the chemistry that the original band had that spawned AFD. there's something about a certain group of guys at a certain place at a certain time at a certain point in their personal lives that creates that type of magic.....and it cannot dictated or replicated. some people dog adler's drumming or duff's bass playing and say things about how the new guys are better players and whatnot, but the fact of the matter is that adler is the best drummer on AFD and duff the best bass player, dig?

no person has to feel the sting of this band not being gnr more than axl himself. i think that may be the biggest reason for all of the delays. i'm not trying to axl bash, cause i still think he's great, and i think some of the new guys (ferrer and fortus in particular) are top notch, but axl and co. know that they ain't no gnr. so, i can't feel bad for the band. in fact, i maybe in a weird way have to feel bad for axl because he's surrounded by yes-men. but then again, he brought that on himself......

Great post. Couldn't agree more. If they don't like working for Axl, they can leave and start their own band.

working with one of the most prolific rock stars of all time, being rich, fucking hot chicks, paryying, being famous without having to do it yourself, cars, sleeping in till noon, yeah, I feel really bad for those guys. Are you kidding me???? This is a free country, dont kid yourself, if there wasnt something in it for Robert, he would be gone.

I feel bad for people who work in retail, and deal with rude people all day, not for rich rock stars.

But at the same time theres many hours between shows to feel sort of worthless. Asking yourself questions. so many questions. Like: Am I a whore? I am Guns N Roses? Does Axl hate me? Should I cheat on my wife with this Suicide Girl? This could be an unsettling, miserable life.

working with one of the most prolific rock stars of all time, being rich, fucking hot chicks, paryying, being famous without having to do it yourself, cars, sleeping in till noon, yeah, I feel really bad for those guys. Are you kidding me???? This is a free country, dont kid yourself, if there wasnt something in it for Robert, he would be gone.

I feel bad for people who work in retail, and deal with rude people all day, not for rich rock stars.

1. axl is prolly the least prolific rock star of all time: been around for 20 years, and he's got 3 albums, one e.p., and an unfinished record to show for it.

2. the other guys in the band are only "famous" to the people on the message boards (releasing a fucking record could change that, axl!)

3. who the fuck is robert?

4. you're absolutely right.

But all these years later, they're still covering Outta Get Me every night (*with pyro). It's gotta suck for the band just like it sucks for the fans. They keep getting strung along with the promise of new music -- and for them, the chance to prove they're a band of their own and move out of the shadow of Slash, Duff and Izzy.

The chance to make music with Axl Rose's voice is so great that a lot of musicians will put themselves through shit for it. But I'm sure he pays them very well for it.

exactly.

let's say you're a session musician and this gnr thing comes along, and you get strung along for years. well, it prolly means:

1. a lot of downtime for which i'm sure the guys get a decent monthly salary, as they are "employees".

2. when you do play you get to play in front of more people than you've ever played to in any other band, and travel in the lap of luxury.

3. the chance to write/record music with axl rose.

now, if at any point you get frustrated with #3, remember #s 1 & 2. if axl decides to pull the tour or the record, fuck it! it will probably be at least a year or so before you have to deal with his ass again, and you'll be paid in the interim. so, ya might as well hang around....

I agree with a majority of you, I do feel bad for the band in some respects. Some of you say they can quit at any time, and start their own bands. But put yourselves in their shoes, Axl is probably paying them truckloads more than they could make starting their own band.

Its a double edged sword, do you put up with all the drama that is Guns N' Roses, and still get your paycheck, or do you stop putting up with his shit, and lose the paycheck, and struggle to keep your standard of living?

Its not like any of the guys in GNR can sit in their lavish mansions and reap the benefits of royalty checks, as most of the guys in the band werent in many big bands (aside from Finck and Fortus, who worked with NIN and tons of pop bands, respectively).

I dont think Tommy Stinson could just go quit, and be happy living off whatever crummy royalties he gets from Replacements albums. I dont think Chris Pitman could live off those massive royalty checks from Lusk or whatever he was doing.

For many of these guys, whatever GNR comes out with will probably be their biggest product, and biggest achievement of their careers, and I doubt any of them want to throw that away. Thats why they are still there. Most of them have been there for so long, to quit now before anything is released would have made the last 10 years a complete waste of time.

I'm sure if they had no qualms of joining in this GNR then they will have bonded around all the negative shit they get. They are session musicians. See mercenaries in a dictionary. I think this is cool. They don't neccesarily have massive rock star egos. It's Axl's show, he doesn't have to fight Slash and Duff's punk ethos.

I'm sure the band would've been happy to get the album out years ago. For many of them, it'll be the first recording or creative experience that they've truly been a part of, and truly had a hand in creating.

Who? Finck has been lead guitarist of NiN, Stinson's from Replacements, Bumble has released several albums, Fortus plays on many of Psychadelic Furs older albums, Brain has released albums with (among other) Primus, Godflesh and Buckethead, Frank plays on the newer Psychadelic Furs albums, Dizzy has played with guns before on albums (no shit Sherlock?!) and finally the one and only Pitman who has been a a studiomusician for many albums.

It's a very professional band with a lot of recording experience imo.

When people say negative shit about Axl,

Many people here express sympathy for Axl, and bash those that bash him. But I, personally, feel sympathy for the band. Many of the members have been in this for the long haul, especially Robin, who's been a part of GN'R since 1996. Many of them have stuck by this band, in it's darkest hours. That shows dedication. For someone like Robin, I think it goes beyond the paycheck.

Imagine waiting ten years to put out a product, a product that will be partly yours, that will have your creative stamp and influence on it, only to face delay after delay. I'm sure the band would've been happy to get the album out years ago. For many of them, it'll be the first recording or creative experience that they've truly been a part of, and truly had a hand in creating.

It must be hard for them to go out, every night, playing someone else's songs that they didn't create and probably don't even like, when they know they could be playing a set of songs that they created. It must be so frustrating to not be able to play their own songs and knowing that if they refused to play the old songs, they'd be fired. The album is called Chinese Democracy; ironically, the band that created it is in a state of communism.

It also must be hard for them to call themselves members of a band when they're not allowed to act as such; they cannot talk about their work or their life in the band to any major sources. While they could create their identity and become (in the public's eyes) more than replacements, they are forced to stand in the shadow of their predecessors.

I think for at least some of the band, they've stuck by this project for the same reasons a lot of us have: An eventual pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A lot of us here have stuck by Axl and the band with the hope that our wait will result in what could be one of the best Rock records ever produced; I think the band sticks by for the same reason; the prospects of an eventual payoff for their wait, both commercially, creatively and personally.

So before you bash the band, think of it this way, in a lot of ways, they're in the same boat as us, all being driven for nearly a decade by Captain Rose--but to what destination, and when? And the question at the end of this journey will be: Was it worth it? A question that I think will be asked, aloud and in our thoughts, by the band and ourselves when all is said and done.

I agree in a way, I mean sure we all think about poor Axl that every one loves to bash but there is the band, and somtimes I dont even think about them, althow I dont think anything bad about them..

but to say its a ones man show and they all replacments, and treated that way by Axl I dont know if its true.

we dont really know whats going on there, I hope its not like that, and that the membars really do care for thier new music, the CD ofcurse.

and it sounds like you accuse Axl for that situation, if they were desperate like you make them look they would have been long gone. But they arent replacments if they stay, like robin for 10 years, if it was Axl solo CD, I dont think robin would have stayd all this time.

Maybe the new guys should form a union and say if Axl can't release the album, then they'll all quit touring with him.

They've put a lot into Axl's little vanity project. All this so Axl can prove to the world that he's better than Slash, Duff and Izzy.

I respect what they've done in support of Axl. The best way to show respect for these guys is to buy their solo / new bands' albums when this whole GnR experiment falls apart.

I can see it now GNR Local 2 will have Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Brian Mantia, Frank Ferrer, Chris Pitman and Richard Fortus in it, they can tell Axl to fuck off, and he cant use any of their material on Chinese Democracy unless he meets their demands.

GNR Local 1 however would be Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy. They could tell Axl to fuck off and he cant use any of the AFD stuff for his own benefit.

Then GNR Local 3 would be the useless guys like 1-2-3 Horns, Roberta Freeman, Teddy Andredis, and all the other utility players. They could stop Axl from promoting the UYI DVDs that bear their likeness.

Axl is TOAST now!!

I feel the guys have reached a point of no return at this stage.

They have hung in this long, it makes no sense to bolt now.

That said, once this album comes out (I do not think it will do well commercially) I can't imagine this line-up sticks with it after the subsequent tour.