I Feel Bad for the Band

Vincent Vega

i feel where the original post is coming from....

but it's hard for me to say i feel "bad" for the band to any extent, cause they could all leave if they wanted to.

i think at the end of the day, the guys in the band know that they are not guns n roses. it may say that on the tickets and on the record (if we see it), but deep deep down they know that they essentially work for axl. axl hired them, axl calls the shots, axl has the studio in his house, axl owns the name, axl signs the checks, axl gets to the gigs after them, they go on when axl's ready, axl axl axl axl axl axl.

guns n roses, the real guns n roses, wasn't like that in their prime. it's completely delusional on axl's part to even think he could create an environment wherein a vibe could be created that could even approach the chemistry that the original band had that spawned AFD. there's something about a certain group of guys at a certain place at a certain time at a certain point in their personal lives that creates that type of magic.....and it cannot dictated or replicated. some people dog adler's drumming or duff's bass playing and say things about how the new guys are better players and whatnot, but the fact of the matter is that adler is the best drummer on AFD and duff the best bass player, dig?

no person has to feel the sting of this band not being gnr more than axl himself. i think that may be the biggest reason for all of the delays. i'm not trying to axl bash, cause i still think he's great, and i think some of the new guys (ferrer and fortus in particular) are top notch, but axl and co. know that they ain't no gnr. so, i can't feel bad for the band. in fact, i maybe in a weird way have to feel bad for axl because he's surrounded by yes-men. but then again, he brought that on himself......

now you'll get a star for having the best post of this thread, I agree with you but still when I read what the guy who started the thread wrote I still felt worry for them because it reminded me of the film Rock Star and there I could see how he felt about playing other people's songs and that's probably how Robin, Tommy and Richard and maybe Brain becuase they've been in this band for so long and they got to get a little bored of those songs and maybe they didn't even like some of them in the first place.

Yeah, they're totally fucking miserable. Because you seem them having fun on stage rocking out is just shows how miserable they are.

Let's not forget that Better was written by Finck. Along with how other memebers wrote the solo's for certain songs. This feeling sorry for them is bullshit. If they aren't happy they'd leave. Like all the other memebers did.

Honestly people still think Axl's making a CD to try to prove to people he's better than the old memebers that's bull shit by that logic VR's doing the same they're making music for god's sake.

it must be horrible for the band,

especially when the singer wont let anyone hear the material you've helped create,

if it were me i would have to walk in a situation like this, just exactly what is the purpose of being in a silent band?

When people say negative shit about Axl,

Many people here express sympathy for Axl, and bash those that bash him. But I, personally, feel sympathy for the band. Many of the members have been in this for the long haul, especially Robin, who's been a part of GN'R since 1996.

crazy isn't it to think that alot of concert goers wouldn't of heard of robin, even tho he has been a part of gnr for nearly a decade.

Songs they don't even like??? Ummmm... pretty sure that they like original GNR tunes... or else I don't think they would be part of the New GNR...

Actually, a few years ago Stinson admitted that he was never fond of Guns N' Roses or their music. This shouldn't be surprising..

Hell, when an interviewer questioned Brain on his involvement in the project, his response was something along the lines of.. "As long as I get paid." Both incidents were well documented on the board some time ago..

-Kickingthehabit

Yeah, they're totally fucking miserable. Because you seem them having fun on stage rocking out is just shows how miserable they are.

Let's not forget that Better was written by Finck. Along with how other memebers wrote the solo's for certain songs. This feeling sorry for them is bullshit. If they aren't happy they'd leave. Like all the other memebers did.

Yeah, but eventually you want to see the tree bear fruit. In the old days the other guys could put pressure on Axl to get that. These guys almost surely cannot.

And it's more than just rocking on stage, banging chicks, being famous, and getting paid well. Some musicians actually want to create a lasting legacy. To have that huge album that they had a part in writing and recording. If Axl disappeared again do you really believe these guys would find it funny? Hey, we got to rock out, get drunk, and bang a few chicks. That's all that matters! :rolleyes:

What has happened from 2002 till now is the same reason the old band broke up. Axl's controlling nature and constant delays in putting together an album. Difference between that band and this one is that the old guys already had massive success - they could walk away knowing that fame and fortune would not disappear - on top of that they'd be happier, a lot more sane, and a lot more productive in terms of releasing new music.

The new guys have a lot more riding on this. I agree with what DX said, right now they are past the point of no return.

Edited by KBear

When people say negative shit about Axl,

Many people here express sympathy for Axl, and bash those that bash him. But I, personally, feel sympathy for the band. Many of the members have been in this for the long haul, especially Robin, who's been a part of GN'R since 1996. Many of them have stuck by this band, in it's darkest hours. That shows dedication. For someone like Robin, I think it goes beyond the paycheck.

Imagine waiting ten years to put out a product, a product that will be partly yours, that will have your creative stamp and influence on it, only to face delay after delay. I'm sure the band would've been happy to get the album out years ago. For many of them, it'll be the first recording or creative experience that they've truly been a part of, and truly had a hand in creating.

It must be hard for them to go out, every night, playing someone else's songs that they didn't create and probably don't even like, when they know they could be playing a set of songs that they created. It must be so frustrating to not be able to play their own songs and knowing that if they refused to play the old songs, they'd be fired. The album is called Chinese Democracy; ironically, the band that created it is in a state of communism.

It also must be hard for them to call themselves members of a band when they're not allowed to act as such; they cannot talk about their work or their life in the band to any major sources. While they could create their identity and become (in the public's eyes) more than replacements, they are forced to stand in the shadow of their predecessors.

I think for at least some of the band, they've stuck by this project for the same reasons a lot of us have: An eventual pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A lot of us here have stuck by Axl and the band with the hope that our wait will result in what could be one of the best Rock records ever produced; I think the band sticks by for the same reason; the prospects of an eventual payoff for their wait, both commercially, creatively and personally.

So before you bash the band, think of it this way, in a lot of ways, they're in the same boat as us, all being driven for nearly a decade by Captain Rose--but to what destination, and when? And the question at the end of this journey will be: Was it worth it? A question that I think will be asked, aloud and in our thoughts, by the band and ourselves when all is said and done.

man, they dont neccesarirly stick by him, its more like, hey were having a 5 year break, ill call you when i need you..

its not like they were working on an album in 02.. axls vouce was rank as shit then.

it must be horrible for the band,

especially when the singer wont let anyone hear the material you've helped create,

if it were me i would have to walk in a situation like this, just exactly what is the purpose of being in a silent band?

exactlly, I totally agree.

I mean god, you ppl make them sound like they are being forsed to be in the nand, stop actinig like you know what really goes on there, like you ppl said they wrote part of the lyrics and music, is it really realistic that Axl dosent let them hear it?!?

They are GNR, and im sure they know whats going on with the CD, couse I cant imagin someone being in a band for 10 years and dosent know whats going on with his CD.. that bullshit, no one would stay or even join to a band like that.

so stop talking like you know whats going on there.