How would you rate Axl's stage presence?

Estranged Reality

I haven't been to one of their shows

No offense, but I hope you're going to one of the remaining shows. I think it's a little unfair to be even speculating about stage presence or how the band performs live w/o seeing them live.

Perhaps this is where some of the bands angst is directed at?

Just a guess :)

There's no such thing as "speculating" about stage presence. It's not a definite fact one way or the other, it's all personal opinion. Someone who prefers calmer stage presence (such as Dylan's) might hate Axl Rose, whereas someone who enjoys more aggressive presence would hate Dylan's.

And I think it's fair to discuss how a band performs based on videotapes of the concerts. By that logic, does that mean we shouldn't criticize - for example - the Tokyo '92 show? Because we weren't there? I think that show sucked. Should I not be allowed to say this just because I wasn't there?

I pointed out positive things about their performances today, as well as negative aspects. I think that's fair on a GN'R forum regardless of whether I've seen them in the flesh or not. I tried to make a very constructive and thoughtful thread here. :D

No, I think you're exactly what the band despises... according to their comments that everyone is so up in arms about. That's not a reflection of what I think about you, that's just an educated guess as to what the band thinks. I thought the same thing about Finck as you did, until I saw them live.

-Judging a professional football game and what it's like by never going to a game is not fair. It's a totally different experience being there and your view would be totally different if you went.

-Judging warfare by watching film and tape, and not actually being a part of it, is also not fair.

The same holds true for a concert, any concert.

Plain and simple.

I suggest you go see one, and reserve judgement until then.

Thankfully this year he actually showed up in Manchester, we were being to question whether he had scouse blood in him and had something against Manchester.

Nah, if anything, Axl's a Chelsea fan. Are you city or Man U?

Neither, Stockport

I haven't been to one of their shows

No offense, but I hope you're going to one of the remaining shows. I think it's a little unfair to be even speculating about stage presence or how the band performs live w/o seeing them live.

Perhaps this is where some of the bands angst is directed at?

Just a guess :)

There's no such thing as "speculating" about stage presence. It's not a definite fact one way or the other, it's all personal opinion. Someone who prefers calmer stage presence (such as Dylan's) might hate Axl Rose, whereas someone who enjoys more aggressive presence would hate Dylan's.

And I think it's fair to discuss how a band performs based on videotapes of the concerts. By that logic, does that mean we shouldn't criticize - for example - the Tokyo '92 show? Because we weren't there? I think that show sucked. Should I not be allowed to say this just because I wasn't there?

I pointed out positive things about their performances today, as well as negative aspects. I think that's fair on a GN'R forum regardless of whether I've seen them in the flesh or not. I tried to make a very constructive and thoughtful thread here. :D

No, I think you're exactly what the band despises... according to their comments that everyone is so up in arms about. That's not a reflection of what I think about you, that's just an educated guess as to what the band thinks. I thought the same thing about Finck as you did, until I saw them live.

-Judging a professional football game and what it's like by never going to a game is not fair. It's a totally different experience being there and your view would be totally different if you went.

-Judging warfare by watching film and tape, and not actually being a part of it, is also not fair.

The same holds true for a concert, any concert.

Plain and simple.

I suggest you go see one, and reserve judgement until then.

Matt, did I write the following or not:

..., but this is judging by the recordings we have. I haven't been to one of their shows, and I've heard he has better stage presence when you see him live.

I acknowledged that I haven't been to a show, and I said this for a reason. ;)

I made a point that this is just an observation based on what I've seen through recordings, and that he is supposed to be better in person.

Buy hey, that's true for ANY artist. I dare you to find a single person who prefers watching someone on video rather than live. When you experience something first hand - especially a band you like performing live - you are going to have a more personal reaction than viewing a bootleg or a pro-shot recording. This has always been the case with music. It's nothing new. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to give my thoughts on a concert just because I wasn't there, especially if I make a point to acknowledge the fact that I'm basing this solely on recordings. (Which I did.)

If, as you say, the band hates people such as me - people who offer constructive criticism and respect Axl while everyone else seems to do the exact opposite - then frankly, the band members would have to be rather idiotic. I've never gone after Axl in any threads or anything of the like. I just approach everything with a balanced mindset. I used to be more of a fanboy. I'm still a fan of the band, and I think you've pegged me wrong. If you think I needlessly complain all the time, please share a link with me so I can view my tirades against Axl. To my knowledge I've never done this and I always try to keep my posts thoughtful and balanced, such as the first post in this thread. No one else seemed to have any problems with it.

I've never criticized their setlist or bitched about how they play the same songs all the time (as many other people do), I've never analyzed Robin's beard, I'd never made threads about Axl's socks or shoe size.

I find it curious that you chose one of the "cons" I listed to criticize me for, but you ignored all the positive things I said about Axl/the band in the "pros" section.

By the way, Matt, I mean no disrespect towards you and I don't mean to feud, I just disagree with some of your views on this matter.

Edited by Estranged Reality

By the way, Matt, I mean no disrespect towards you and I don't mean to feud, I just disagree with some of your views on this matter.

And I likewise... I just think you put a lot of 'spin' on things to make it sound like you're 'constructively critizing', when in reality, without the 'spin', it can be viewed as complaining. The end result of most of your threads turn into people bitching in the subsequent thread... so it's like fuel for the fire none-the-less.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about anything and everything... it's a free society.

I just like to throw the flags. If you'd like to throw a red flag to challenge my call, I'd be happy to go back and review things in instant replay. I'm gonna warn you though, if there's nothing there to clearly reverse my original call, you'll be forced to eat a time out.

You know how it works.

I agree that Axl can still get it done. I do wish he would interact with the crowd more he talke very little, more than he did in 02 but he was great in the early days getting the crowd going. the moves are still there. the new band is great but looks to rehearsed.jmo.

When I see the new Axl it seems like he isn't the same person. I still think he has a good stage presence, although a lot of his dance moves are really cheesy. If he got off his ass and did some cardio be wouldn't need the oxygen tank. I don't blame his age as much as I blame him being totally deconditioned.

When I see the new Axl it seems like he isn't the same person. I still think he has a good stage presence, although a lot of his dance moves are really cheesy. If he got off his ass and did some cardio be wouldn't need the oxygen tank. I don't blame his age as much as I blame him being totally deconditioned.

Age has a funny way of catching up to you.