How does nu GNR stack up against other live acts?

datdude133d

I would like to think their still one of the if not THE top act out there.

Ive seen Hammerstein 5/12 and the 2006 MSG show.

other bands Ive seen that i think the GNR shows were way better than are(i know i havent seen that many yet)....Ill nino,goo goo dolls,korn,papa roach,stone sour,deftones.

my question is how does gnr compare to the top newer acts out there?

the killers,green day,my chemical romance(like them or not their singer has alot of stage presence like axl), u2, NIN, etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive recently seen: Snoop, Chili Peppers,ZZ top, Clapton, Staind, the last OZ Fest, OAR, Shinedown, Aerosmith.......i have a short memory.....

The closest performance was the Chilli Peppers. Clapton is a genius, but as far as the overall show, the peppers were best.

They were a 6 to GNRs 10....but maybe i am biased? lol

GNR kick the ass of nearly all if not all new acts. especially seen as they are a new act themselves these days. Had the old band stuck together then they would have a more legendary status. but they havnt. So they dont get up there with the Stones, AC/DC, Led Zep etc.

GNR were the best of their generation, which is post those bands i just listed anyway. so maybe in a few more years, but more so had it been the original band

They're by far my favourite.

However, I've seen Muse, Opeth, Tool and other bands that are much better live bands this year.

Seeing Axl and the guys is the best thing in the world for us Gunners, but when I look at it objectively, they're not the best by a long, long way. Average, infact.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

It's a nice cover band.

Almost as good as Adler's Appetite.

I honestly cant see how the old band compare to the new version. Of course im judging on the videos I have seen. Even if you compare the vids of old and new, NEW kick olds ass. Just my opinion... rock3

Nine Inch Nails on the 'self destruct tour' (circa 1994) was also superior. That's not quite fair, though, as NIN will go down as one of the greatest live acts, ever.

Also better: The Cult, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, Autolux, Jamie Lidell. Just more energy/focus/and connection with the audience.

Old GNR back in 1991 was also better -- even when they sucked technically, there was a feeling there, a soul to it that's not there anymore (it's the same kind of thing that makes Slash, though totally sloppy and poor technically, so amazing -- it's a "feel" thing). With the NuGNR you always feel that the guys are performing strong, but they're not really communicating and connecting with the audience; it's more like the audience is connecting with their knowledge/memories of the old songs, and that's what the NuGNR is tapping into.

They're still a great live act though -- certainly better than a lot of the other "Reformed" bands lately (Alice In Chains, etc).

Edited by GabrielsChains

It's a nice cover band.

Almost as good as Adler's Appetite.

I honestly cant see how the old band compare to the new version.

its the old bands songs they're playing, :monkey:

they've probably practised them more aswell as they have no material of there own to play

The night I saw them at MSG, I thought PapaRoach had more stage presence. It was not they're best performance.

Papa roach did have stage presence but every thing about it was over-rehersed and with no feeling. I had his moves memorized by the end of the first song. Plus its easy to move so much when your singing is in such a comfortable range and you take no chances vocaly.

I likened there performance to the broadway show "RENT"

lots of flashy dance numbers and gayness

Not to mention their songs blew dog.

The night I saw them at MSG, I thought PapaRoach had more stage presence. It was not they're best performance.

Papa roach did have stage presence but every thing about it was over-rehersed and with no feeling. I had his moves memorized by the end of the first song. Plus its easy to move so much when your singing is in such a comfortable range and you take no chances vocaly.

I likened there performance to the broadway show "RENT"

lots of flashy dance numbers and gayness

Not to mention their (new) songs blew dog.

Ironically, with a few changes, this would sound like a fair assessment of Axl's current string of performances..

-Kickingthehabit